Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Anybody else interested in this game? How are science skills supposed to work? How the hell is stuff like personal grooming and wardrobe supposed to make it easier to influence people? Is rolling a Solo who put everything into getting light tattoos and glowing hair and fancy clothes and then relying on martial arts for fighting a bad idea? Should Techs be using tool hands or tech tools? Is it just me or does every role seem to have abilities that are insanely overpowered?

You're asking the wrong questions. Light tattoos and Glowing Hair and Tool hands don't have to be mechanically useful if they are cool.

quote:

Style over Substance: It doesn’t matter how well you do something, as long as you look good doing it. If you’re going to blow it, make sure you look like planned it that way. Normally, clothes and looks don’t matter in a adventure – in this world, having a leather armor jacket and mirrorshades is a serious consideration.

Attitude is Everything: It’s truth. Think dangerous; be dangerous. Think weak; be weak. Remember, everyone in the 2000’s is carrying lots of lethal hardware and high-tech enhancements. They won’t be impressed by you new H&K smartgun unless you swagger into the club looking like you know how to use it – and are just itching for an excuse.

Live on the Edge: The Edge is that nebulous zone where risk takes and highriders go. On the Edge, you’ll risk your cash, your rep, even your life on something as vague as a principle or a big score. As a cyberpunk, you want to be the action, start the rebellion, light the fire. Join great causes and fight for big issues. Never drive slow when you can drive fast. Throw yourself up against danger and take it head on. Never play too safe. Stay committed to the Edge.

For realsies though, I got the full version of CPRed on DrivethroughRPG the other week and have been internalizing it for my own game I'm going to be playing with some buddies of mine.

Keep in mind that it's not D&D and it's not Cyberpunk 2077. The game is explicitly not going to be doing the "+3 pistol of testicle shooting" when most of the time your players probably won't even be able to afford a full magazine of ammunition. Kind of like Shadowrun, combat has it's place, but you have to play smarter, not harder. Smart use of stealth, Ambushes, hit and fades, running away when you're outmatched or when the MAXTAC helicopter shows up is what keeps you alive to see the next job. Even if you roll a character for maximum tonk with a 8 body/will fightmonster, you can still have your leg blown off by a shotgun in the first round of combat, and that poo poo is expensive to fix.

The older version, 2020 was probably one of the few games that could be described as "As lethal or moreso than Call of Cthulu" and while Red levels the lethality down a touch, even non-killshots still have a chance to heinously maim and dismember you. The character careers really define what you character is and does outside of combat rather than what you do in combat (solo not withstanding). In combat, everyone more or less has the same options available to them with the only real difference being how well you do any given thing.

It's why there is so much emphasis on the worldbuilding and skills and way less so on precise descriptions of crazy mantis blades and the equivalent of cyber-superpowers. A cyberarm isn't really crappy, even baseline it's just as functional as a regular meat arm, but in addition you maybe also don't have to worry about carrying around a cyberdeck that gets stolen or gets you mugged on the street, or you have holdout weapons build into it in case poo poo goes sideways, ect. At best I would say that the cybernetic limbs aren't really something you're meant to seek out, and really moreso along the lines of "Well this run went south and this grenade blew off my arm, at least when I get a replacement it'll come with new features!" The borgware is specifically where you get into the superpower-level stuff, and the people who get it specifically become monstrous for doing so. It creates a sort of moral dilemma you see with something like Vampire's humanity system.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, they did reword how humanity loss works in this edition vs the older editions. In RED the only things that explicitly cost humanity is when you are getting chrome that goes above and beyond what would be considered standard human potential. A mundane cybernetic arm / eye/ect that just mimics basic meat function and nothing beyond that pretty explicitly doesn't have a humanity cost. The same goes for biosculpting. If you want to upgrade to biosculpted hulk arms that let you rip car doors off their hinges there's a humanity cost associated with that the same as if you got robot arms that do the same thing. That does allow for things that are a lot more progressive in RED compared to 2020 or 2013 - Gender cofirmation in RED has no humanity cost when it did in 2020/2013 for example.

Also keep in mind that humanity therapy is a thing in this edition that really wasn't there in the old versions too. It won't completely recoup the humanity loss but on a long enough timeframe you can get to where it's basically the same as rolling a 1 for every d6 of humanity loss you would of accrued, which makes a huge difference.

And yeah, medical grade baseline eyes cost 50. They also can't do things like agent integration, thermal vision, telescopic zoom, ect like the Cybereyes can.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also keep in mind that unless you're explictly buying borgware or you're starting with like 3 humanity baseline or you've got 8 different quick release cyberarms or something it's actually quite hard to hit that psycho point and you have options to walk it back.

The way I view it, the humanity isn't just about the 'going above and beyond human potential', it's the fact that society is so hosed up and bad that you need to do this to survive and the isolating and dehumanizing impact that would have on you. It's one thing to have a literal hand cannon, it's another to know that you are purposely removing a part of your body to get said hand cannon as a matter of life and death and that it is going to be used.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Control Volume posted:

On the other hand, installing a med scanner on your already-existing cyber arm is equivalent to having PTSD. Your character may have been barely keeping it together but now that they can diagnose the common cold, theyve realized the only effective vaccination is murder

"Jesus Christ you mean I had my arm lopped off to become a human thermostat? So I can sit at this doorway and tell people 'I'm sorry you can't come in here because you're running a fever'? Why did people decide this is what they wanted to do to themselves?

I'll show them what I think of this. I'll show them all."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah plus a decent GM isn't gonna just be letting you go nutso and pulling your char. They should start warning you and figuring out ways to help keep you from going over the line and stay in the game.

Best I can say is this - Remember those three rules I quoted in the first post? There's a fourth:

quote:

Break the Rules.

If you don't like it, change it.

If you don't want to put humanity loss on baseline cyberlimbs? Don't. Mike Pondsmith isn't going to come hold a gun to your head and make you strike that humanity off your players sheets.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

mellonbread posted:

Does the new edition have starting gear/cyberware suggestions, or some other quick build rules? Something like "take X package if you want your character to do Y"

Chargen in CP2020 was trivial, except for poring over the equipment list, which took longer than the rest of the process combined.

I need to go back and look but I believe yes, quick character gen rules just give you a one and done list of starting gear and all you need to pick is cosmetics.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The thing to keep in mind is that if you want the more granular variety of gun/gear selection, you can still do that. Get copies of the old 2020 books and most of the low level guns (minus the things that do d10 dice damage like railguns) should be able to import across pretty easy without a whole lot of modification. That'll also give you room for like, double barrel vs pump shotguns, revolvers, and the like. Or you just modify the existing categories. If you want to base guns off of old pre-cyberpunk guns they are still around so you don't have to have your Very Heavy Pistol be just like a caseless ammunition magnum like it would be Rules as Written - just make your VH pistol be a .44 magnum revolver, modify the magazine count, and maybe modify it in some other way to compensate (like making it +1 more accurate at medium range). If you want someone to tote a M1 garand just make one up custom and adjust accordingly. Those old pre-modern guns still kill you dead at the end of the day, after all.

If you are planning to GM red, it's been suggested to pick up Listen Up You Primitive Screwheads for 2020 because it's all GM stuff and a lot of it should still be pertinent. Most people I know who played 2020 have straight up said it should be the first supplemental book you buy for it. It's that good.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

There's a sidequest in 2077 about a pair of Buddhist monks. They are not allowed cyberware. Medicalware isn't really mentioned, but I'm guessing it's not allowed either.

You cannot enter Nirvanna with an incomplete soul. They believe that defilement of the body and defilement of the soul are one and the same. IIRC in the world of Cyberpunk there are evangelica subsects of all the major faiths that touch upon this in a greater or lesser extent.

Edit: That is to say - voluntarily getting cybernetics. Keep in mind that it's possible to get grafts of cloned fleshy arms/legs/eyes without cybernetics for basically the same cost as medical-grade prosthetics. I can't remember if biological replacements are considered haram for the faithful of Cyberpunk.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 12, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Can anyone point to some solid resources for Fourth Corporate War in-detail (as it's canon for RED, at least - I know some material has been quietly set aside)? Media for this campaign took part as a war reporter and is just now getting back "into the field", just want to familiarize myself as much as I can to pull from that. I'm sure almost all of it is 2020 supplements, just not sure what the "most important" ones are and metaplots tend to hide really important things where you don't expect.

Best 'in a nutshell' version of it is probably just the cyberpunk wiki: https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Fourth_Corporate_War

Do note that The mini-nuke in Arasaka tower was literally the demolitron Johnny Silverhand sets off in the Cyberpunk 2077 flashback. They got their hands on it through a Militech cutout who I believe is implied to be Morgan Blackhand.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dawgstar posted:

RTG's said that the Backup part of Lawman doesn't need to explicitly be police. It's just a pack of folks you can call on.

I'm laughing at the concept of a character that calls an especially well armed neighborhood watch.

Ride of the Karens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Foundry I've found to be really interesting. It's less feature complete than roll 20 out of the box, but it's got a ton of add on support so you can make it do whatever you want it to.

I've actually got foundry set up on a raspberry pi 4 8GB as a mini web server and it works shockingly well.