Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got really super-duper into the video game and my LGS had one copy of RED left and I bought it. How do I play? Does anyone wanna play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does this game play well over webcam?

Sorry, I’m very limited in my TTRPG experience, I’ve only ever played WotC or White Wolf games before, but I want to know if there are supplemental I need like a DM screen.

Does this game benefit from larger or more intimate parties? Would a group of 2-3 people be able to accomplish much or do you need 4-5 to really fully explore party dynamics and tactics?

Oh gently caress are there cyberpunk minis?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spent about 3-4 hours last night building a cool Rockerboy. Haven’t finalized my skills or equipment yet but having an awesome time rolling all my life paths and slowly being able to go “oh that lines up with this, so these life paths are obviously connected” and watching my character grow out of nothing was really cool, compared to other character generations at least.

Please don’t laugh at my silly OC character (du not steel) but I’m making a speakerboi, aka a dubstep//trap DJ rockerboy. He’s involved in the underground drug and music scene and wants to be the king of bass music in the city.

My dream is to find or develop cyberware that lets me convert my body into a living sound system and use subsonic bass frequencies for hypnosis or combat maybe. I also want to kinda of become a tank, like not worry about dealing any damage, but I want armor and unbreakable bones and fireproof skin and regenerating organs and wolverine healing boosters.

Basically I just want to be an unstoppable dubstep song that nobody can kill and never stops bumpin.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 13, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah I think I can manage that. I figured as a musician I would need a very high empathy score in order to most effectively gauge crowd reaction to my jams and switch up the tempo appropriately, so hopefully that would give me enough humanity to not lose my mind as I convert myself into a into a soundboard.

I’ve never played anything like this before, so I have no idea what use I would be to my party, that’s why I wanted to make myself super beefy. I put 8’s in Will, Body, and Tech because I wanted to be able to stand up to anything, and because I didn’t know how inventing cyberware or developing new upgrades worked, but I figure I would be good at computers from years of learning different audio production programs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ThreeStep posted:

Imagine a gig economy citizen's arrest app. Make the call and you get whoever is within 10 minutes ride with whatever gear they have on hand.

This is fully realized and plays heavily into the plot of Westworld Season 3

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey gang, my friend and I have decided that rather than risk getting a group of people together or struggling with online tabletop systems, we’re gonna try something a little different.

We’re gonna do a tandem campaign. We’re gonna just run solo adventures for each other, trading off GM and PC each session.

Our plan is to roll our starting characters, and then design and populate an area of the city to play in, and eventually tie both of our characters narratives together somehow.

I’m a rockerboy who needs real sophisticated tech to follow his dreams of transhumanism, and he’s a techie who absolutely hates everyone... but happens to love my music, and always comes into town from the outskirts for my shows.

I was wondering if any of you have tried something like this before, or if you had any tips for us. We’re both really interested in weekly regular sessions and don’t wanna put up with juggling multiple sessions and only getting to play once a month due to cancellations.

What’s the best way to design or populate encounters for 1 PC? Would it be better to have additional NPC buddies for the first mission or two while we’re brand new babies?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not every TT group is gonna house every playstyle, so some of my bread & butter skills might be your dump skills.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/mustangsart/status/1356568872657256450?s=21

<3

Is there a resource for fanmade RED content? Do people have maps or city blocks or clubs laid out already that I can choose or build from?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there any important event or faction that doesn't exist in RED but is important in 2077? I'm writing scenarios for RED and just kind of bouncing back and forth between RED and the 2077 lorebook to try and flesh things out, and we're thinking we're gonna be associated with Tiger Claws, but I don't wanna start worldbuilding if they don't show up for another 10 years or something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have to assume that there are dozens if not hundreds of solar powered satellites with independent repair systems that house servers maintained by the AI themselves. In as much as the internet could have ever been destroyed, I think it’s so thoroughly backed up and reinforced at this point in the timeline that its beyond the scope of humanity to end the net

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It makes more sense to me that humans would constantly reinfect the new net same as the old one so why bother? Basically the 2077 version of Devil worshippers, they have like USB sticks with utterly alien murder daemon AIs waiting to mulch up fresh internet

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Right, that’s what I’m saying, is that the money/resources that keep the net going are, after all this time, probably just propped up by the AIs themselves. If there are human beings working as meat analogue agents for the AIs, I doubt that they’re the ones calling the shots, and more that they are like religious fanatics acting out the will of their digital gods, but if I were a benevolent and hungry AI that constantly needed new data and new servers and new programs to assimilate, I would simply find people with easy to manipulate digital resources, manipulate those resources to then curry their favor/enslave them, and voila now you have a cyberpunk AI cultist.

I dunno the setting makes more sense to me if the AIs are running the show and keeping the lights on, because otherwise I don’t see the promise of old data mining being enough of an incentive to outweigh the costs of just scrapping it

Also at this point in the timeline I refuse to believe that anti-digital separatists haven’t tried to destroy the Net multiple times at this point, which is why I’m left to assume that new hardware is being assimilated into the servers and power supplies at all times.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Try to envision your campaign as a heist movie or something more involved, like you need to steel a shipment of expensive AI cars that are being transported across the badlands and you have 2 weeks to plan your heist. You can have them plan their mission, set up routes, secure important tools or tech

Remember that the key to good story telling is string together your events with “Because of” or “due to”, so try to construct a scenario that requires multiple involved steps working towards a clearer mission.

“There’s an experimental surface-to-space personal carrier being tested out in the badlands, if we can intercept it and sell it on the black market, we’ll be rich! We’ve got two weeks to identify, isolate, and extract this hardware, but we can’t get caught my militech and shoot our way out!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Agency is great unless your commitment to agency keeps the players from going to where the game takes place.

I’d put a couple of survivors in the alley, and as the PC’s run towards them, have a gigantic MILI-TECH or NCPD police mech stomp by and “sanitize” them, just some huge and obviously indestructible “dragon” type enemy that indicates “you are too small to fight me” yet, and that’ll have the advantage of keeping your PCs motivated to stay inside the bar until the gas leak and the containment unit are done cleansing the area

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe it’s a froofy gastro cloud-pub where the whole bar is just selling little crystals of vapor that you huff and enjoy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think many Game Masters get really caught up in a completely unnecessary need for accommodating player choice. Shoving players into the box so they do the thing you worked hard on is fine, and if you’ve got the type of gamer who insists on going left when everyone says to go right “just because”
you should probably nip that in the bud and let them know that you’re the boss, not them, because that kind of thing can end up with Main Character Syndrome where everyone never gets to do what they want because Captain Jack is always doing whatever. It’s literally ok to bully your PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Cyberpunk is structured so that your character grows and develops as an individual rather than a class progression where all 15th level Fighters are basically the same