Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Im running a cyberpunk red game and was asked a lore question by one of the players that I couldnt think of a good answer to.

So agents have auto banking you can do transfers between accounts fairly easily.

Paper money still exists and is used fairly regularly for shady deals in large quantities Its referenced in the quickstart for red and is used fairly frequently as a thing for various 2020 premade adventures.

Do mercs launder their money? Is there even a need to? Megacapitalism says that banks dont care so long as they get their creds and would prefer if literally everyone minded their own business, but paranoia says you dont want anyone knowing that you just loaded five thousand eb into your bank right after arraska just got hacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wrr posted:

One of my players is hesitant to play Cyberpunk as they're not that familiar with the setting. Not the specific cyberpunk red setting, but cyberpunk in general. What are some good bits of media to help them get a feel for things? They've seen Blade Runner. I'm hoping to watch Edge Runners with them soon.

Fifth Element, Akira.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There a good place to get a grab bag of cyberpunk minifigs? All we have is DnD minis, and while its fine for what it is in the current campaign I'd like to get some cyberpunk stuff. At least some more mooks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'd be a dick and say you should print them like a real punk but iirc r talsorian at one point had some for sale, possibly thru a side project for their more tactical version lemme see

E: yeah it was thru monster fight club

A real punk believes in the paper less office TYVM <:mad:>
Jesus twenty bucks for three figs..........

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 29, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

An algorithim decided that in twenty years that patch of land is gonna be super valuable. Why? Nobody knows, but the algorithim is never wrong, and the more the pcs fight over it, the more valuable it gets so the corp sends heavier and heavier amounts of money and muscle at it.

Turns out the algorithim had a bug that over valued canal sludge by 1000% and gives a multiplier for "enemy action" that defends the location.

I like corp as stupid cthulu hooks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has anyone dming cyberpunk noticed that money is basically your power level? The ability to buy guns, mooks, enhancements, and info are generally more of a power source than the other stats on the sheet?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Even though Red hasnt released much detail of the world outside of night city I infer its pretty much the same for everyone. The internets fragmented to poo poo, places are still rebuilding from the military left overs of the 4th corpo war, so I can only assume until sometime between 2040 and 2077 the world isnt significantly different in state.

Its your campaign though, if you wanna say that *squints at map* mongolia somehow has remained fairly untouched and has been built into an asian tiger economy go for it. Nothing contradicts it afaik.

Edit: personally Ive just been playing with 2020 lore with red rules due to basically the lack of any sort of setting supplement outside of core rules being released, and even then its pretty light on that. Im thinking that the current set of rules is just a hold over til 2077 supplement is released and theyll go all in on that setting possibly.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 24, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of 2077 any word on that supplement yet? Last i heard it was coming sometime. Loke they had a thing for the anime in dev.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I picked up black chrome and eh. Not great I think the only really cool thing in there is that one page dedicates to how logistics works in the time of the red. Wish theyd have done another adventure or a setting book instead I think.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nessus posted:

Anybody use the Cyberpunk RED game app?

Yea.

Short of it: Let your players download a free version to keep their character sheets on otherwise ignore it, and definitely don't pay for the premium version.

It's really good for players as a character sheet/easily accessed wiki, and not good for anything else. Dude also takes forever to push updates, and decided to develop a website version instead of updating and polishing the mobile app. Dude also hasn't pushed any new content to it since the upgraded mooks DLC and dude went radio silent[October] until they said they where gonna start getting to work on black chrome, which is going to be a separate paid thing from the premium version[February]. There's also some minor technical issues which haven't been resolved to my knowledge.

As a solo dev: I sympathize with them that being your own social media/qa/dev/whatever is slow, but yo if you're gonna charge for the work you atleast gotta post every so often "Hey I'm not dead, this is what's happening"

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 16, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nessus posted:

The price point seemed minor for the GM tools, at least. It’s good for core sheets? How is the web version?

Check it yourself. https://cyberpunkred.com/#/

Incomplete, and the dev recently said "Hey, I ran into a bunch of technological hurdles and am going switching gears to getting black chrome added to the mobile app" As a GM you're better off continuing use a PDF tablet, the quick rules hand out that comes with core rules, and a notebook than fiddling with it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My thought if I wanted to play a fixer and really lean into that job hard is that I'm basically building my fixer portfolio as a small timer with dreams of being big, because a big or even middle time fixer got better ideas than going out and getting flatlined. That portfolio includes money, the respect of other fixers, a clientele, and importantly a list of gonks what can accomplish what I need to accomplish, all of which can be accomplished by heading out on missions personally to make sure stuff is smooth, you aren't getting ripped off, and spreading your business card around to clients.

From a gameplay perspective you are the DMs magical get out of jail free card and the teams vendor.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Plutonis posted:

So I am playing RED for the first time and am thinking of doing a Netrunner because apparently they are closer to the Vidya version in which I don't need to be on an ice bed separated from everyone else. Any tips?

Two big things.

1) READ AND UNDERSTAND THE RULES OF NETRUNNING! DO NOT ASK YOUR DM WHAT SOMETHING DOES YOU SHOULD ALREADY KNOW. YOURE A TECHNO WIZARD DONT ASK ME WHAT FIREBALL DOES EVERY SESSION. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOURE THE ONE CASTING IT.

2) Tell your DM ahead of time that you're going to be a netrunner otherwise you're gonna be doing randomly generated dungeons when netrunning and boy howdy, can those absolutely kill your net runner pcs.