Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm interested in playing Cyberpunk with some friends. Two of us have never played any TTRPG before, two of us have played DnD. None of us have played Cyberpunk.

I'm really into miniature painting so I want to enhance our campaign using 3D printed and painted models.

Is there a good intro to the game? DnD has some cool starter campaigns for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I really appreciate both your posts. I bought the Cyberpunk Humble Bundle some time ago and there's a Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit that I read through and seems cool to try to at least get a feel for things (especially for the ones that haven't played this kind of game before). How is Cyberpunk Red compared to 2020?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How does Roll20 with the Cyberpunk RED module compare to Foundry?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Isn't Foundry 50 bucks? https://foundryvtt.com/purchase/
Are we talking about different Foundries?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm going to run "Cabin Fever" but in Red rather than 2020. I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas how to accomplish the following:

The story takes place in a bar where the players are trapped after a ship carrying highly toxic material explodes and a gas spreads that kills everything it touches. The players are right next to the ship as it blows up, and their only option is to swim to shore. Right by the shore there's a little bar. I need the players to enter the bar and not run down the alleyway and I'm wondering how to accomplish this. The book suggests having cops at the end of the alley looking for terrorists aim their guns at the players, but since the players are new to Cyberpunk I'm worried they don't know how deadly the game is and decide to engage the cops.

They've been in the bar earlier that day and the fixer that gave them the job is currently there.

I have a few ideas:
1. A lot of the dangerous gas was blown up into the air and out, kinda like a mushroom cloud. Because the gas is somewhat heavy it envelops the area and starts closing in from both sides so they have no choice but to enter the bar. Does this sound realistic?
2. If one of them starts heading down the bar, they hear another explosion coming from the sinking ship and see a wave of thick white gas approaching them very rapidly, way faster than they can run. I'm worried this will make them panic and run down the alley even harder.
3. An NPC will be there with the players as the ship explodes. I initially planned on having her die for dramatic effect, but maybe she can survive and be just a bit faster than the players and encourage them to head for the bar when they arrive on shore.

I'd love some suggestions. Aside from this I plan to give the players a lot of agency.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks all! A ton of great ideas here! Some won't work because of the specifics of the setting, but I didn't mention these details.

The bar is not entirely safe, it just needs to be safer than running. The players will see gas seep into the building through gaps in the doorframe and windows, etc. and they (together with NPCs) will be encouraged to jury rig a solution with duct tape or towels or whatever. This makes gunfights even more scary because if they miss and hit a window they're in a lot of trouble.

- I'll make certain to introduce the decon station and have them use it when they enter the bar the first time before the gig starts so they know it's there. The bar is a dive but I can probably justify it.
- I can certainly have a drunk guy stand outside in the open doorway, not fully aware of the danger. The door being open means they'll see the decontamination station and other NPCs on the map which might encourage them.
- I've also added a lot of bright lights in the building, and made the alley very dark.
- I think I'll go with the gas settling from above, too, if they notice.
- The fixer that gave them the gig will be in the bar, which they know, so that should help.
- The attack catches everyone, including the players, the owner of the ship and the NCPD off-guard so I prefer not to have the NCPD there with mechs, but I can put one there that turns an NPC into mist as a last resort.

I think all of these combined should do the trick.

Wrr posted:

If you want some inspiration I just saw this in the OSHA thread
Terrifying. This is basically what happens except the gas (hydrogen fluoride) spreads slower but there's way, way, way more of it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks to everyone for your valuable advice. I ran half of the story and it was such an awesome fun time. Two of the players were super inexperienced playing RPGs but they did quite well. They spent an hour preparing their heist, going all over the city to gather their stuff, thinking that they'd spend all this time on a ship, only for the ship to blow up immediately. Their reactions were quite funny.

Thankfully the thing I was worried about they ended up solving for themselves: One of the players called someone in the bar on his internal agent while swimming for his life, which gave me the perfect opportunity to have him come out, pull the players out of the water and tell them to rush inside. The decon station thing also helped because the players were super eager to use them.

The atmosphere inside the bar is getting quite tense and the players are quite concerned about it breaking out in a fight since they are still quite beaten up from a fight they themselves picked with some gangers earlier in the day, but there were some really funny moments too. This is my first time doing anything with Cyberpunk TTRPGs and my first time as a DM (having only played DnD before) and it was a blast.

I'm continuing this story next week and I can already tell that this story has the potential to turn into something of a campaign, but I plan to mix it up between one-off gigs and a longer term thing. Kinda like how the X-Files had the monster of the week and the occasional larger story episode.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

KernelZee posted:

So if I wanted to get into the tabletop rpg, where would I start? What would I need? I’m very new to this but wanted to try.

This sounds obvious but you need a group with one GM and a number of players. I feel Cyberpunk lends itself best to groups of 3-5 players. You can definitely do fewer or more too though.

Then you need to pick which version you wanna play: 2020 or Red. I recommend Cyberpunk Red because it's much more accessible. The GM absolutely needs the book, the players would benefit from having it but could just read the GM's copy if they need to. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/333585/Cyberpunk-RED

Do not get the Jumpstart Kit, IMO.

The GM needs to prepare a story. It can be worth using a pre-written story for the first game. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/404486/Tales-of-the-RED-Street-Stories I haven't tried these myself but they get good reviews. The main book also has some story hooks but they're not nearly as fleshed out.

If you do it in person, I recommend getting some miniatures/tokens/small carboard cutouts and one of those erasable grid maps (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Grid-Game-Mat-36/dp/B01MQHECUR note that I haven't tried this specific one). Cyberpunk Red benefits a lot from battlemaps and tokens. I just really love miniatures but it can easily be done with printed paper tokens.

If you do it online, I really like Foundry. It's 50 bucks and you have to host it yourself but it's very good and there's a free module for Cyberpunk. Roll20 also has a module, which I haven't tried but plenty of people use it online.

I'd have a session 0 where the GM and the players create the characters together and discuss what they're looking to get out of the game. Also make sure that everyone's limits are crystal clear (e.g. no sexual violence). All games benefit from it but Cyberpunk Red puts a lot of emphasis on the backstories of the characters.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

There was an actual Hardwired sourcebook for Cyberpunk, if my memory serves

Correct. The Hardwired author co-authored the sourcebook too

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

RED is way easier to pick up than 2020 and I've run 2020 modules with RED's ruleset without too much trouble so I'd go for RED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

xK1 posted:

I haven't watched it, but this one being ran by Mike Pondsmith (creator of the game) with Matthew Lillard playing as his character from the movie Hackers intrigues me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruIl56IKRFo

This was a fun watch and I recommend it if only because Matthew Lillard is great. The story doesn't end though. They have a second session but it seems to be a different story altogether and isn't as good.