Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mellonbread posted:

Does the new edition have starting gear/cyberware suggestions, or some other quick build rules? Something like "take X package if you want your character to do Y"

They do. There's packages and everything with pre-calculated Empathy costs for cyberware.

It's also nice they're big on having classes of weapons than meticulously listing out different guns. Like there's a Heavy Pistol and a Very Heavy Pistol and they're unconcerned much more granularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SkyeAuroline posted:

I would really have preferred at least some more fluff to go with them. 2020 did a good job of building corporate identity through equipment and setting-fluff items.

Honestly I would like is a fluff book dedicated to equipment. The stats are already in the core. One of the more amusing things in Feng Shui were the firearm descriptions even as they say that crunch-wise they don't make much of a difference for their purposes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So this character would basically be all-in on gear instead of cyberware, so... i guess get ready to batman it up. What role, tho? I'm thinking lawman, because going up against people with cyberware when you have nothing probably means you would need some kind of backup, and i'm pretty sure there's already the inquisitor gang, and i'm pretty sure a gang boss is not mechanically different from a cop.

RTG's said that the Backup part of Lawman doesn't need to explicitly be police. It's just a pack of folks you can call on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm laughing at the concept of a character that calls an especially well armed neighborhood watch.

Ride of the Karens

"Second Amendment won't give me the discount just because the coupon is expired, yah. Let's all go down there and give them a piece of our mind!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Say what you will about the Bozos as a murderous clown booster gang, but they respect gender identities as evidenced by Bozo the Ripper-Offer of Arms using them/they pronouns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Poil posted:

I've... no idea who Milton is. I assume it's from The Office?

Well, Office Space. The stapler guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I came across a house rule on RPG.net I really dig.

quote:

The one change I made was to armor. CP RED isn't as bad as 2020, mainly because they toned down how good the heavy armor is, but you can still easily end up with indestructible characters next to much squishier characters, which can make throwing enemies at the PCs difficult.

My solution was to have armor scale up with weapon damage. Since guns in CP RED all do Xd6 damage, I gave armor a rating from 1 to 4, that's subtracted from every D6 on the damage roll, as opposed to the total.

It worked really well for our group, and meant pistols were still dangerous and lighter armored PCs weren't as screwed by big guns.

Very elegant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BULBASAUR posted:

I wanna run a cyberpunk campaign with my friends. What's the best eddition to pick up and what books do I need?

There's honestly no reason not to go with RED. It's a refinement over 2020 and the only thing I would do is tweak the armor to that house rule I posted right above your post.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks for the breakdown. Would it be possible to port over the old equipment variety or is it largely unecissary in practice?

I honestly don't think you need to. RED boils weapons down mostly to like 'heavy pistol' and 'very heavy pistol' and you can call it a comparison between an Arasaka Rampage versus a Militech Thunderer if you really want to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

KernelZee posted:

So if I wanted to get into the tabletop rpg, where would I start? What would I need? I’m very new to this but wanted to try.

For starters, check out the Easy Mode which is free and will give you a good grasp of the basics: https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/cyberpunk-red/news/cyberpunk-red-easy-mode-quickstart-download-free

Also saw this which is, in fact, as the kids say 'kinda cringe.'

https://twitter.com/JimZub/status/1574004661731966976

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's been nice to see Edgerunners punt RED back up into the top 5 on DTRPG again. It was number 2 for a while but that huge M&M bundle and Fabula Ultima which has a lot of buzz kicked it back down to 3.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PeterWeller posted:

All the movie suggestions have been great ones. They can also read Neuromancer if they want to get to the heart of things.

I'd skip Neuromancer and go for the lesser known Hardwired which was a direct influence on Pondsmith.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PeterWeller posted:

Fair point, but I'd still read Neuromancer because it's a much better novel than Hardwired.

Hardwired has its charm and honestly if you read both you can see a lot of its influence on Cyberpunk. And it's always fun to point out when you get somebody saying "Cyberpunk isn't like Gibson's stuff at all" the reason is Mike hadn't read them when he wrote the game. Maybe not even until after 2020, I'm not sure.

Cyberpunk feels like it primarily runs off that book, Blade Runner and whatever 80's anime Mike had the hook up for which is at least Bubblegum Crisis because I'm pretty sure that's where we get cyberpsychosis even if Boomers weren't cyborgs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gearhead posted:

Mike must've had one hell of an anime club in college, because Bubblegum Crisis started coming out in 87 in Japan and Adam Smasher's original appearance screams it. I don't remember any humanoid robot that looked quite like a Boomer before BGC, but that's getting back into the dark ages I can't remember too good.

I believe Mike was on the west coast, at least at the time, which probably helped although Adam Warren who did the US Dirty Pair comics was getting that kinda stuff in the mid-80's while going to school at Joe Kubert's art academy which is in New Jersey somewhere so some people had a really good pipeline.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wrr posted:

Theres a sidebar in the book directly about that. They say that an easy way to keep a nomad in a city game is to tie them to one of the other characters, either make it about family or make one of the other characters part of a deal with the nomad tribe and have the nomad PC be there for security or something.

Yeah, it doesn't have to get difficult. Your Nomad can just be one who arranges business in the city while the rest of the clan is doing said business outside the city. Really easy if you also have a Fixer in your party.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think they have it up on their website, which is a shame, but a while back on Twitter they went through what a blending of each class would look like although they just stuck with two. The beauty is you can 'multiclass' into everything and it makes sense. Fight, make your own deals, fix your own crap, etc. A lot of builds for V in 2077 would probably shake out this way.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PeterWeller posted:

I started running a campaign. We're having a blast so far. It started with the Apartment as our hook adventure setting up a main plot about real estate fuckery because this is central California. I put the apartment in a neighborhood that's a canal on the 2077 map as a little hint for anyone who decides to check. Each PC has a side plot--that one thing they gotta handle before they leave Night City for good. We got a rockerboy trying to get back the rights to his music after a drug bust, a netrunner whose family is indentured to a corp, a tech who's looking for his lost lover, and a solo who's trying to woo his fixer and lead her into a better life.

I'm torn between making the real estate thing something really SF like there's some forgotten cyber lab or an AI mainframe down beneath the neighborhood or just keeping it nice and mundane--the evil corp wants to tear the neighborhood down to dredge this canal. If y'all have any suggestions on how to make the real estate plot cool, please share them.

Love the 'one last NC job' hook.

Lately more and more I wish RTG'd give us community building rules. It's always fun to watch the PCs get possessive over a patch of dirt and try to make it their own. As for why the corp wants the canal itself, I'd make that personal. Make it a corpo's pet project that they think will catapult them into that corner office and give the players a face to put to their woes. They're in charge of turning it into a new upscale Beaverville or something and it turns into a mirror of the PCs 'if they do just this one thing it'll all work out.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RED also finally manages to break through the 'let's just have a Netrunner as an NPC' barrier because now what they're doing is fully integrated into what the rest of the team is doing from an action perspective.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

Speaking of 2077 any word on that supplement yet? Last i heard it was coming sometime. Loke they had a thing for the anime in dev.

Nah, RTG doesn't really hype multiple supplements at the same time. They're working on Black Chrome right now, the reveals of which they've done so far do look.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's also red sky city that is like 40 sessions long, imo pretty good

Cybernation Uncensored is pretty good too, they've got an AP of RED taking place in orbit, dealing with the Crystal Palace and stuff like that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grpxdqu7bq4&list=PLeMOgUx67UMLX9eT1jCYtWpRH9E-dHaKd

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dunno, they have a bunch of poo poo going on it seems. They keep putting out more dlc & have other rpgs they're doing. There's a couple books they put out past the core rules & they got some internal reshuffling & employee changes that happened the other day. Websites kinda jank maybe their twitter or w/e is more accurate

Yeah, Cody Pondsmith (Mike's son) is working on a new RPG since they decided (were told?) to hold off on more Witcher stuff because they don't want to conflict with the new game CDPR is doing. They ARE working on Edgerunners with a quickstart coming first but RTG is a small outfit and they try not to just shove stuff out the door.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Insurance' is a great handle for a Medtech.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Coming from a D&D/ Paizo background Fixers are intriguing to me as to their role in the party in Cyberpunk: am I effectively acting as my chooms manager and agent, hiring them out to others who need services rendered? I'm assuming I'm kind of the face of the party to other orgs or gangs: do I have my own slice of territory in the city, or do I play it as a wannabe up and comer? Am I supposed to go on the gigs with them? I know I am supposed to be the one figuring out how to supply and what not.

Like Nessus said the Operator ability is your key to how established you are in Night City (or wherever):

Contacts & Clients: City gang honcho, minor politician, Corp Exec, well known person in the neighborhood.
Reach: You can always find a place to source up to Expensive items for your clients on a piece by piece basis, even if they are otherwise unavailable.
Haggle: If successful, when you buy 5 or more of the same item, you can get one more of that item for free.
Grease: You know how to get along well with at least 1 other culture in your area as well as gaining a single language you don't already know associated with that culture at Skill Level 4.

So at rank 4 you're known as a person who can get ahold of weapons along the lines of assault rifles and shotguns and more exotic weaponry, you probably know people like the neighborhood's alderman, the head of the local Maelstrom or Tyger Claw set or whatever gang is local and you can talk to a local enclave without looking like a dope. Also going off the A-Team reference it's true you can easily be the party's Face even if you're basically Hannibal so you want a good COOL (most classes do, but especially you) and EMP (and in this case it's not because you want to cram a lot of chrome into your body).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Make sure to promise the other players that you're all going to be on the high road to easy street with this job. That's traditional.

And pick somewhere fun to have your 'office,' like the corner booth of your local Buck-A-Slice. Wheel and deal over locust pepperoni and extra cheese! Mmm mmm!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I might be playing in a RED game and am kind of leaning towards a Medtech. Like some other role abilities, you've got points to distribute. I'm tempted to dump all four in Pharmaceuticals (don't get crazy, it explicitly says you can't make street drugs with it so the birth of 2045's Walter White has to wait) because that feels like it has the most relevance to an edgerunner crew. I feel like I probably won't be called upon to do anything that Paramedic can't take care of so I don't think I'll need Surgery and Cryostasis feels very situational.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plutonis posted:

So I am playing RED for the first time and am thinking of doing a Netrunner because apparently they are closer to the Vidya version in which I don't need to be on an ice bed separated from everyone else. Any tips?

The fun thing about Netrunners is they don't have to worry about a certain skill to key off of. Like if you want to be a Rockerboy you need some kind of performance skill and Solo you need combat, etc., but Netrunners just rely on their programs and Role Ability for actual netrunning so it's up to you how your gonk gets to those access points and you can build your stats and skills around it. It can often lend itself to wanting good TECH-related stuff so you can fix/mod your deck and such but it's not a requirement. Want to go high REF and Autofire/Handgun and/or Shoulder Arms because you blaze way until you get where you need to be? Cool. High COOL and smooth talk your way in? Also valid. It's very freeing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Greetings "chooms"

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/cyberpunk-red-2024-r-talsorian-games-books

For as little as $18 you can have what seems to be just about every CP2020 and RED book worth having!

Including Vol 3 of Interface which is RED's first look at full conversion Adam Smasher-style 'borgs! I have literally everything else in that bundle so I'll just wait but RED is highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mellonbread posted:

Played the demo of Cyberpunk RED yesterday.

It was pretty fun. Combat felt like a d20 style exchange of blows chipping away at HP, rather than the fast and furious gun-down of the older edition. Chalk that up to the simplified rules in the quick start (no auto-fire on rifles, no called shots to ignore armor, no suppressing fire...).

I liked the old paradigm where your class gave you a signature skill that you could roll to be good at the thing that class did (IE Authority for the police officer), rather than the more situational class abilities in the new edition. But I also understand why they changed it. Maxing out your class skill at chargen was such an obvious play that it wasn't even really a meaningful choice. Do you want to be better at being a Solo, or worse?

The fast and furious thing certainly varies. My Medtech has one-shotted a couple of people because shotgun.