Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

BULBASAUR posted:

Besides some roles like the solo or the netrunner a lot of role abilities aren't immediately tangible. Most of them are pretty abstract, and some like Teamwork put a burden on fitting into certain types of campaigns (both to the PC and Game Tyrant). Besides your one role ability what's really different about the roles? That's why I think Red would have benefited from having no roles at all, just pick or buy some abilities to define your character. Yakuza boss getting backup shouldn't be locked behind a lawman archetype that isn't mechanically any different from a fixer besides one role ability.

The fact that you can infinitely multiclass with no drawbacks makes it so that you effectively can pick or buy abilities that define your character. If someone wants to become a yakuza boss and she starts as a solo, she's either going to need to invest in lawman ranks, or she's gonna need to be a Kiryu type who handles her own problems. In the latter case, she could still have underlings, they just wouldn't be mechanically summonable in the same way.

As for needing "certain types of campaigns", this is not D&D where your GM is leading you by the nose through a scripted adventure module. The intention is that the mechanics present you with an immediate problem: rent is coming due and you cannot afford food or drugs. You need money, so you either work your weekly gig (which can generate character-appropriate plot seeds) or you reach out to your contacts for the same. The GM takes those plot seeds and starts to lay down plot threads which the party pursues using the methods available to them, meaning the player characters, their personalities, and their abilities define the adventure and are naturally able to play into it. If your party is a medtech, a rockerboy, and a solo, the adventures are going to be related to playing shows, fighting the power (or climbing the corporate ladder) through art, and maybe doing some contract work on the side. There aren't going to be plots which revolve around vehicle combat or hacking unless the rockerboy's groupies (or, at a stretch, the group's contacts or medtech's coworkers) can provide those things.

The game, more than almost any other I've played, is player-directed. The GM's job is just to hold the world up around them and give the NPC factions adequate reactions to what the players want to do.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

BULBASAUR posted:

For sure. My argument is, considering all those things, why lock things behind a class system.

I wouldn't say they're locked behind anything. You can buy any of them at any time if you have the XP for it. I'm guessing the reason they organized it that way is so that you always start with one and so you could have class-appropriate tables to roll on for your background and your day job and stuff.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Sinatrapod posted:

If and when I finally get to run some Red I am heavily tempted to house rule a bit of the crunch back in. Cover, going prone and shooting-while-moving difficulty modifiers aren't exactly hard to inject, though I suppose once you start down that road you enter "Why not just play CP2020 and use the Red netrunning rules" territory which is harder to reply to.

It has been a minute but I am quite certain that Red is chock full of modifiers for cover, concealment, distraction, etc. My whole character build involved getting behind enemy lines and chasing them out of cover with a shotgun, allowing my friends to get shots on them.

In one encounter, the enemy netrunner selectively killed all the lights on their side and set off the building's sprinkler system, so our guys were heavily distracted and couldn't see what they were shooting at, and the enemy was behind cover on top of that. It made a gigantic difference and it was a huge relief when we finally fixed it.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 28, 2022