Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The core rulebook is back in stock on the R. Talsorian site for any of you are like me and missed out on getting a first printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Oh I thought of a third one, strange days.

This is a fantastic movie, and a definite must watch for anyone who wants to play up the BD angle in their game (because the BDs are lifted from this movie).

Wrr posted:

One of my players is hesitant to play Cyberpunk as they're not that familiar with the setting. Not the specific cyberpunk red setting, but cyberpunk in general. What are some good bits of media to help them get a feel for things? They've seen Blade Runner. I'm hoping to watch Edge Runners with them soon.

All the movie suggestions have been great ones. They can also read Neuromancer if they want to get to the heart of things.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I'd skip Neuromancer and go for the lesser known Hardwired which was a direct influence on Pondsmith.

Fair point, but I'd still read Neuromancer because it's a much better novel than Hardwired.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Hardwired has its charm and honestly if you read both you can see a lot of its influence on Cyberpunk. And it's always fun to point out when you get somebody saying "Cyberpunk isn't like Gibson's stuff at all" the reason is Mike hadn't read them when he wrote the game. Maybe not even until after 2020, I'm not sure.

Cyberpunk feels like it primarily runs off that book, Blade Runner and whatever 80's anime Mike had the hook up for which is at least Bubblegum Crisis because I'm pretty sure that's where we get cyberpsychosis even if Boomers weren't cyborgs.

Hardwired is a fun, schlocky book, and yeah, it's influences on CP are obvious and notable, especially in terms of the setting's rule by corporations and the ESA.

But I think you can argue that a lot of those influences are basically Gibson's influence by way of Hardwired. Super wealthy space capitalists describes T-A from Neuromancer. The Panzers in Hardwired are basically the same as the hover tank that Turner pilots in Count Zero. Sarah is clearly influenced by Molly Millions.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Shadowrun's lifting of the whole Panzer thing was shameless even for them.

Definitely, but let's be fair. Just about every RPG is built on shamelessly lifting ideas from popular fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I started running a campaign. We're having a blast so far. It started with the Apartment as our hook adventure setting up a main plot about real estate fuckery because this is central California. I put the apartment in a neighborhood that's a canal on the 2077 map as a little hint for anyone who decides to check. Each PC has a side plot--that one thing they gotta handle before they leave Night City for good. We got a rockerboy trying to get back the rights to his music after a drug bust, a netrunner whose family is indentured to a corp, a tech who's looking for his lost lover, and a solo who's trying to woo his fixer and lead her into a better life.

I'm torn between making the real estate thing something really SF like there's some forgotten cyber lab or an AI mainframe down beneath the neighborhood or just keeping it nice and mundane--the evil corp wants to tear the neighborhood down to dredge this canal. If y'all have any suggestions on how to make the real estate plot cool, please share them.