Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Red is far less crunchy and plays a lot smoother. That's not to say it's rules-light, but it cuts a lot of '90s cruft from the system. They also made hacking a lot better by streamlining it and forcing Netrunners to hack stuff in-person. Netrunning is a lot less like a one-player dungeon crawl and more like a combat round, but it's still more involved than a dude shooting another dude.

The reduced crunch has the tradeoff of the guns and such being a lot less unique. Now, you just have a heavy pistol category, and every heavy pistol works the same way. You can flavor it up all you want, though, and there's a conversion guide to bring guns from 2020 into the new system. So you can still have your Arasaka Home Defender or whatever.

If you've played D&D before 5th ed, I'd say Red is 5th ed to 2020's 3.5 in terms of complexity and crunch.

Fair warning: If you use the jumpstart kit, the rules are slightly different than the full game. I think there's a guide to convert everything to the full system, but it's not 1:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I played on the Foundry, so with digital minis. It worked really well. The ranges in the book use squares in addition to distance measures so it’s pretty easy to remember. One square is 2 meters.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Foundry is free and at the time the Roll20 released much more powerful.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Ah yeah, a Foundry license is $50, but the module to run Cyberpunk is free. So you're paying $50 for the Foundry license and $0 for the module or $40 for the Cyberpunk Red module on its own on Roll20.

The Foundry module is really good and has good video documentation on how to get up and running with it. I'd never used Foundry before and was able to get an entire game running within it using their guides. If you do a lot of online games I'd recommend just getting Foundry anyway. Once you get past the slightly steeper learning curve, it's got a lot more to offer than Roll20.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Sinatrapod posted:

If and when I finally get to run some Red I am heavily tempted to house rule a bit of the crunch back in. Cover, going prone and shooting-while-moving difficulty modifiers aren't exactly hard to inject, though I suppose once you start down that road you enter "Why not just play CP2020 and use the Red netrunning rules" territory which is harder to reply to.

I've run a few sessions of Red and miss some of what you laid out. Cover in Red is more about holding actions if you're high on the initiative list. You pretty much go into cover until "someone pops up to shoot, then I shoot them." Or you can just shoot at the cover. I still don't love that and think they threw the baby out with the bathwater when they were getting rid of the really '90s poo poo like hit locations and body-type modifier, etc. They really cut out a lot of the simulationist aspects of the game to the point that it lost some of the original game's flavor. Bunching guns into categories makes sense to streamline things, but I do miss the subtle differences between an Arasaka and Militech for guns that operate in the same category. I ended up naming different qualities of guns in a category based on the manufacturer, but that took a lot of time in the Foundry to get done. That's all to say that adding crunch to Red is probably a lot easier than removing it from 2020.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Think Hannibal from the A-Team as one archetype that fits pretty well in the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Dawgstar posted:

And pick somewhere fun to have your 'office,' like the corner booth of your local Buck-A-Slice. Wheel and deal over locust pepperoni and extra cheese! Mmm mmm!

The back of a Kibble food truck you drive around as cover for your budding undercover crime syndicate.