Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Fable might be interesting. Mix of hitman and hijinks possibly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Which one is that?

Train to the End of the World

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I like grown rear end adults doing interesting things, like Yokohama Shopping Log.

those are robot lesbians dumbass!!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

tokin opposition posted:

Signalis anime adaption when?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

galagazombie posted:

Signalis anime adaption when?

all i know about this is funny lesbian animations on twitter and body horror so honestly it could probably break the top 10 in any given season yeah

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kitfox88 posted:

funny lesbian animations and body horror

Yeah Land of the Lustrous was really good

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kit Walker posted:

Yeah Land of the Lustrous was really good

lmao

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So the whole premise was that Japan is a fascist hellhole that cultivates crime for the purpose of repressing it and they could just leave the whole time? Leaving is an option? I'm not even talking about your average assassin, but the average Japanese lives in a carmageddon 24/7 when they could just leave?

Darth Walrus posted:

The implication is that the child soldier death squads and heavily-armed terrorists are relatively ignorable for the majority of the population unless they're directly involved with the small clique of maladjusted oddballs playing cops and robbers with each other. Sure, you might turn on your TV and see the Joker having a shootout with schoolgirls at a major landmark, but you've got your board game group this evening, so really, who cares?
The premise of Lycoris Recoil is that they have a surveillance state and extrajudicial assassin JKs kill criminals and terrorists secretly without the public ever becoming aware that a crime happened. The climax of the series is the Joker trying to do a crime so big that they're forced to respond to it in the open and then come up with an extremely lame cover story to explain the shootout to the public. I'm not sure if there's an explanation for why Japan secretly has a terrorism problem bad enough to keep them working full-time?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

a fascist hellhole that cultivates crime for the purpose of repressing it

:911:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Dungeon Meshi is the first anime in a long time I've been happy to keep watching, it's a buy from me

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
been trying to get my friend to watch but apparently there's not enough Fujo bait

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

War and Pieces posted:

been trying to get my friend to watch but apparently there's not enough Fujo bait

are you even trying to sell them on this?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

War and Pieces posted:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

are you even trying to sell them on this?

Yeah do a fuckin google image search of LaiosxKabru, Jesus Christ

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how much dwarf taint is enough???

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
If the ultimate bara daddy Senshi isn't good enough for your friend, she doesn't deserve dungeon meshi

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I guess it’s a harder sell to stubborn Fujos without the elves showing up yet.

e: https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1778849591967834320

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Apr 12, 2024

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

War and Pieces posted:

there's a taste of it in the last episode, I think

Augus posted:

how much dwarf taint is enough???

I'm looking forward to more! :yum:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I guess it’s a harder sell to stubborn Fujos without the elves showing up yet.

Any so-called Fujo who isn’t happy with Laios repeatedly saving Kabru while Kabru develops an intense urge to murder his unknown savior needs to turn in their drat Fujo card and go back to Hallmark Originals.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/laiospilled/status/1778772522697449507

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
huh I figured the dungeon meshi anime was only going to get up to the part where they save Falin from the dragon which is where I already got up to in the manga. If it continues past that then I'll start watching it now

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

huh I figured the dungeon meshi anime was only going to get up to the part where they save Falin from the dragon which is where I already got up to in the manga. If it continues past that then I'll start watching it now

Yeah I think they're doing the whole manga? Probably gonna be a couple seasons but it's going

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

its already past that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

the season is getting a full 24 episode run and based on where it's at right now it'll probably end right about or slightly after Izutsumi shows up.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Look dungeon meshi provides plenty of yuri, which is the thinking woman's yaoi

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/KiibouRanger/status/1778850335244599598?t=o7spftGizjR1ThixVLBDDw&s=19

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s really cool how consistent it is that if you see an example of really good localization in an anime or Japanese video game there is gonna be a 100+ thread on the internet by some jackass with Google translate that thinks the localizers butchered the original intent and a more accurate translation would’ve been some broken English that has no emotion, humanity, or subtext

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think the comments about this forcing western values onto Japanese media are hilarious. Oh yeah, this country that has 200 NATO bases and buys all of our stupid poo poo is definitely free of Western values, and the perfidious translators are ruining this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Meiji Restoration was Japan literally forcing western values on themselves

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Meiji Restoration was Japan literally forcing western values on themselves

Ehh, sorta yes but mostly no. It was the nationalist-isolationists loading up on Western guns to preserve Japanese values against French and American colonialism (with a little help from the British Empire seeking to sabotage its rivals), after they became convinced that their military dictatorship was going to sell them out to foreign powers.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
While a lot of the people seem to be raging against "woke" again, and it feels very twitter brained as always, I personally would prefer a joke to be something I don't understand but could possibly lead to me learning more about the intent of the artist than have it "localised" so it feels familiar.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

bring back Amerikkkan food localization. kids have it too international these days with the foods they get exposed to.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

bring back Amerikkkan food localization. kids have it too international these days with the foods they get exposed to.

Yeah localization is actually way more accurate than it’s ever been. The old days were absolutely dire. You’d never see something as egregious as Robotech in this day and age. I’m still of the opinion that things could be better, but let’s not delude ourselves and pretend that the nefarious woke conspiracy is defiling the once noble and sacred art of the translator, when the truth is it’s been getting way better.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

starkebn posted:

While a lot of the people seem to be raging against "woke" again, and it feels very twitter brained as always, I personally would prefer a joke to be something I don't understand but could possibly lead to me learning more about the intent of the artist than have it "localised" so it feels familiar.

you learn more about the intent of the artist if the localizers make the joke work the way it’s supposed to work.
A character says a Japanese tongue-twister, which if translated into English becomes just a random non-sequitur phrase, so the localizers change it to an English tongue-twister. The authorial intent has been conveyed.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Augus posted:

you learn more about the intent of the artist if the localizers make the joke work the way it’s supposed to work.
A character says a Japanese tongue-twister, which if translated into English becomes just a random non-sequitur phrase, so the localizers change it to an English tongue-twister. The authorial intent has been conveyed.

Yup. And admittedly there's a bit of a grey area when it comes to subbing there since you can hear the dialogue: do you replace it with an English tongue twister or do you translate it directly and slip in a translator's note explaining it's a tongue twister? Or I guess option 3, replace it with an English tongue twister and then include the original in a translator's note

I think some show (Azumanga?) went with the second option and that's why I still remember basu gasu bakuhatsu/bus gas explosion two decades later

e: yup it was Azumanga and oh hey every other dub also went with a local tongue twister

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Apr 14, 2024

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Just replace it with a thematically-related English tongue-twister, simple as.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Augus posted:

i was watching Odd Taxi with the english dub and every so often i'd be listening to the rapper wondering what they words would be used in japanese to rhyme the way it did

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

eat your burgers Maya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Augus posted:

I always come down to “did this character talk like a regular person in the original?” If so, then they should talk like a regular person in the translation. If accuracy to the dialogue requires weird or stilted dialogue, it should be changed to reflect accuracy to the character.