Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Truga posted:

watch akudama drive

This is both a good answer to the question and a good post in and of itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I'm about 7 episodes into Re:Zero and the main character is kind of obnoxious but likng it so far. I feel like in most other shows the death would be treated as a minor inconvenience to a pretty OP ability but it's done a pretty good job selling the fact that the trauma of constantly dying would gently caress you up mentally in pretty short order.

Yeah, it’s drat good. I’m glad it’s airing again. Watching Subaru’s brain turn into jello is really compelling. There’s even a plot reason for why he doesn’t become a complete husk of a person, because the show totally embraces the idea that his experiences absolutely would wreck anyone

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Monster has a slow start but once it gets its hooks in you, it's hard to stop. I ended up watching the whole series over the course of a few days with my partner while chainsmoking from anxiety and it owned

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

wolfs posted:

what are the good series currently airing?
from last season I intend to watch Noblesse and uh ... Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle, having only really finished Akudama Drive really recently

I’m watching Attack on Titan and the new Higurashi right now as they come out

re: Zero is starting back up I know, Beastars will probably be good, but what else is there?

I’d also strongly recommend Moriarty the Patriot from last season

Promised Neverland S2 is starting up, so if you haven’t seen the first season you definitely should. Other than that, Otherside Picnic seems cool as hell, So I’m A Spider, So What? seems like it’ll be a fun isekai, and there’s probably a bunch of other good stuff this season I haven’t gotten to check out yet. 2021 is apparently going to be insanely jam-packed

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

I do not remember the ending of Monster at all but Im straight up shocked someones saying Naoki Urasawa managed to give a story a good ending. Its like his biggest weakness. Maybe I should read it again

It's somewhat open-ended but in a way that totally works for the plot, while providing enough closure for basically everyone

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

AoT: Here is an underclass of people forced to live in ghettos and wear armbands so they can be identified at all times. They are brutally oppressed, have virtually no human rights, and have been subjected to a level of indoctrination and propaganda that makes some of them fight ardently for their oppressors against their liberators out of a desire to prove themselves to be "one of the good ones." The only reason they are kept alive is because they are useful to the state as instruments of war, with the promise of personhood dangled forever just out of reach. Their oppressors are always depicted as monstrous villains, and are the antagonists of the story

People online: Wow, AoT is so fascist!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Wonder Egg owns. Urasekai owns. Spider show owns. This is a good season

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

I found Urusekai kinda boring. Barely anything important happens, it's almost monster of the week level at this point. Visually it's kinda meh

The egg show and the spider show are both good however

It’s about supernaturally-touched lesbians with guns dealing with urban legends come to life in the Stalkerverse. What more do you need?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

Ya, it sounds cool when you describe it like that, but when you watch it it's not really that exciting. 8 (or 9? idk, I quit after the beach ep) eps in and nothing is happening, they just kinda wander around, end up in the weird place, run away from the SCP of the week, next ep repeat the same. Premise is cool, but they do literally nothing with it, those are some boring-rear end lesbians.

I guess tastes vary because I’m having a great time with it. Most of the threats they deal with are of the “instantly kill you or drive you insane” variety so it’s not like fighting them directly is an option. The show is more like Mushishi or Mononoke where half the point is them trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on, except with more mindfuckery. It’s one of the few shows that does incomprehensible monsters well, and I really dig that

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

net work error posted:

When they cut to non spider stuff the energy just evaporates lol.

It’s great. You have this whole isekai hero plot going on and the whole time you’re watching it you’re thinking “drat I really wanna get back to watching that spider talk to herself already”

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

All three of those shows are GOATs

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

That there is a show with very little waste.

I mean, if they’re doing their job right

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

after reading chapter 21 of chainsaw man, I have to wonder if there is a single character in this manga that isn't a total fuckup loser.

Power is incredibly cool and good and extremely talented and successful

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

redsniper posted:

I should really rewatch SAC as an adult. Maybe I'll finally understand what a standalone complex actually is. :v:

Put simply, collectivist action without direct collaboration. Like if a whole bunch of people copycat each other to accomplish some goal

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Seirei no Moribito. Mid fantasy show about an incredibly badass lady bodyguard who swore to save 8 lives to make up for 8 that were lost. Her last job ends up being to rescue the second crown prince who has found himself bearing a water spirit that will bring a great drought to the country, according to official state history. As a result he’s marked for death by the Emperor. It’s a primarily character-driven coming-of-age show about family, with the occasional really cool fight scene, some gorgeous supernatural poo poo, and a genuinely strong female protagonist who isn’t sexualized. To not spoil too much, it also has a happy ending

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

The antagonist is fundamentally just an anarcho-primitivist and that's why he's terrible. Even if he succeeded, eventually he'd die and his kingdom would one day get usurped by some other tribe that splintered off and developed technology. It would take thousands of years but we'd eventually end up back where we are now anyway. The only difference is the millions or billions of people who would die along the way from cholera and pneumonia and other horrible poo poo that modern technology helps us with

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Zerilan posted:

People taking power levels super seriously was hilarious from the start since they were kind of always just nonsense. The first real use of them (beyond like, farmer with shotgun: power level 5) was Raditz thinking his scanner was broken because of how strong child Gohan was, followed by Goku and Piccolo having their number go up by taking off their shoes and hat.

I like that the Nasuverse also had this whole powerlevel debate that Nasu settled by introducing ORT. "Uh, yeah, there's this alien thing from Mercury that landed in South America somewhere that just kinda chills in a sanctuary it made for itself but it's super strong and extremely dangerous and technically a vampire and also has no concept of death so it can't be killed by any of the ridiculous other bullshit that exists in this setting but it won't bother anyone unless they go gently caress with it or maybe it will some day idk but yeah it can beat absolutely everyone else in a fight at the same time if it felt like it eat my shorts"

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

In the art book they say ORT is meant to be like an optional superboss in jrpgs.

That really is it, down to fans speculating on ways to kill it. Like the most plausible thing I heard involved a particular weapon that scaled to the threat and another artifact that can imbue a creature with a concept, making up for ORT’s lack of a concept of death

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

My gf isn't really into anime that are too masculine (she couldn't stand jojo)

Does not compute

Also go watch Sailor Moon it’s probably the only thing you mentioned I’d actually recommend since everything else has about a million episodes

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That slime anime can either be seen as a white mans burden (blue slime burden?) or it can be seen as slime marx creating a society where each monster provides according to their ability to each according to their need. Regardless the society can only be preserved through overwhelming military power as humans will try to crush it.

That’s about true to life I guess! We just need a modern marx that can call forth infinite laser cannons to kill capitalist invaders

I gotta respect it a little for not trying to find some happy middle ground in this last season given how hosed up the antagonists were

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Mar 31, 2021

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

pillsburysoldier posted:

I thought the first 8 episodes of Season 4 of Attack on Titan were really good at criticizing war and nationalism and stuff but then it got more fascist-y and then went back and forth.

I’m still at a complete loss as to how the show is going to end except I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be real bad for a lot of people. The only heroic figures left right now are all either dead or jailed and I think Armin is gonna be the dude who sorts everything out

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

A lot of people who point out the hypocrisy of hero society in MHA do it as though that’s not the whole conflict of the story. Yeah it’s hosed up and sucks in a lot of ways and every character’s motivation comes from that exact point!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Mirello posted:

shut your dirty mouth.

alsooooo, I finsihed code geass s2 and man it's actually awesome. kind of a week middle, but everything after shirley died was awesome. great ending as well. I mean, sure, many things did not make sense and s1 was better, but I was left ultimately satsfied, and had a huge grin on my face for most of it, so that's good. Lol that right after it my wife said "this is the best anime I've ever watched" almost crying lol.

I couldn’t help but feel that everything would go to poo poo after the end of S2. I get Lelouch’s plan, but with him dead there’s now gonna be an insanely gigantic power vacuum and there’s no guarantee that the world won’t fall into total chaos. Britannia has been taken down a few pegs but this one act isn’t going to undo the decades of conditioning and grievances the empire created. Would’ve been better for Lelouch to actually de-escalate tensions through sound governing policy and then abdicate Cincinnatus style, passing power over to some sort of elective body

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

He's pulling a God-Emperor of Dune except in a dumb half-assed way.

Thank you. Exactly. In Dune he could at least see the future and knew this is what he absolutely had to do. Lelouch should’ve used his big brain to come up with a plan that wasn’t the perhaps the biggest gamble in human history

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

wolfs posted:

by dint of them having season 2s I’ve started welcome to demon school iruma -kun, that moriarty show, and zombie land saga as things i might have liked had i watched them as they aired and so far all are at least interesting

All of these rule for very different reasons. This season has been drat bountiful

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Dr. Stone is about a genius scientist lib vs an impossibly physically overpowered anprim. You end up rooting for the lib since it’s still better than the alternative

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

It’s a story that you really shouldn’t take too seriously. When the world was petrified, the protagonist managed to keep his consciousness going by counting the seconds. For 3700~ years. As a result he was able to know the exact day he managed to break free and even try to time it so he wouldn’t get out in the middle of winter. He also seemingly has memorized how literally everything works or is made. The antagonist kills a lion with a single punch and at one point uproots a large tree with one hand by crushing it until it cracked and then threw it like a spear

They are both teenagers

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 01:23 on May 6, 2021

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Except it doesn't and the gamer hero does end up saving the day because they play video games.

edit: Also Isekai isn't a new genre or setting. All of those things have been done before for a very long time. It's just a very specific arrangement of those tropes that is being reproduced today in such quantity that it has become a genre unto it self.

MuvLuv still shits on the formula. The protagonist’s abilities give him a leg up in the first alien timeline, but he doesn’t actually have the mental fortitude or willpower to really do anything with it. It’s not until Alternative that he’s actually able to fight and by that point he’s both so mentally broken and so physically developed that it doesn’t really even matter anyway

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

So what's everyone's watch list this season?

I'm watching Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song, Odd Taxi, and Zombieland Saga R. Tried to watch 86 but kind of bounced off it after the first three episodes.

I’m watching all those along with To Your Eternity, Shadows House, and Mars Red. Also Pretty Boy Detective Club, which I don’t yet really know how I feel about. It’s kind of like an alternative take on Ouran Host Club

Vivy and Zombieland are probably my top two this season. So drat good

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

pillsburysoldier posted:

God Re:Zero sucks

:wrong:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Eizouken is incredible. I’d recommend it to just about anyone but it’s a must-watch for anyone who wants to get into animation

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Ulta posted:

I like chainsaw man because the government is shown to be just as dangerous as the devils and the pocchi is cute

I have mostly nothing but bullshit to do for the next few months and it’s bumming me out that the anime isn’t coming out until like November or something

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Holy poo poo, is that where she’s from? I remember seeing tons of fan art of her in the mid 2000s but couldn’t figure out a source for the life of me. Absolutely wild

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Finished watching SSSS.Dynazenon after going back to watch Gridman. It sounds like Gridman is better regarded online but Dynazenon was the better show IMO. I think having a cast that all play active roles just gives way more opportunity to explore the characters. Also Koyomi becomes a hottie after he quits being a NEET so hopefully that’ll help some people get their poo poo together

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

And the trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=eyonP1AgC0k

I need more!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

looking good. is that supposed to come out this year?

Last I heard, rumor-wise, was November. I’ve got a lot of friends who are really into Jujutsu Kaisen, which I don’t really understand since the writing is lackluster. I’m looking forward to hearing them lose their poo poo over Chainsaw Man

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

net work error posted:

I was a big Power Rangers fan as a kid so Dynazenon was very fun for me.

Same. For me, a weird benchmark of maturing was the moment I realized none of the other kids I knew thought that stuff was cool anymore. It’s a strange feeling revisiting it as an adult. Both the feeling of “oh this is just for kids” and the more jaded “this whole genre exists just to sell toys” butt up against a plot that’s well-written and fairly mature. I sorta had to just relax and let myself enjoy it on its own terms. Plus the animation is drat good and the whole climactic fight was hype as hell

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I’m surprised people here are so down on Wonder Egg. It was far and away the best show of that season for me

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

I dunno about *worsening* it. It just leaves a lot of stuff unresolved in a way that I can’t see a second season really addressing without introducing a new set of protagonists to join Ai

But yeah the first half was definitely better than the second half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

wolfs posted:

I got her to agree to watching it!

over the last 6 years I have introduced her to quality anime and mangos (and horror movies but there isn’t a cspam horror thread for some reason) where before she had no interest in the stuff but beyond loving Evangelion giant robots have never clicked

Make her watch Gurren Lagann