Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I was trawling on Amazon Prime video looking for old anime and gave Dallos a shot, so imagine my surprise that it's not just the first OVA produced in the 80s and one of Mamoru Oshii's earlier works, but it's also heavily inspired by The Battle of Algiers.

I wouldn't exactly call it a great anime, but it's a really interesting watch. Particularly how true to life all of the character motivations and their political interests play out. It's a great artifact of the period of anime where productions could be overtly left wing sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

a cyberpunk goose posted:

what do people like about re:zero, i genuinely do not get it. it feels like a really directionless torture fest. the main character just has a crying screaming meltdown every episode and everyone has to treat him like a baby when he's having a meltdown in the hopes that he pulls it together. it's nails on chalkboard to me

Re:Zero is one of those shows that can't be fully enjoyed removed from the context of its genre. It's sort of like the Spec Ops: the Line of isekai, in the sense that most isekai is pure escapist fantasy while re:Zero presents living in a magical isekai world as the worst possible experience you could ever have.

To me what's really interesting about re:Zero is that it's not just about Subaru being made to suffer, but that the tropes and politics of fantasy worlds are also deeply hosed up. The primary focus is of course being placed on Subaru because he's the fish out of water pov character and an audience surrogate, but everybody else has miserable lives because they live in an aristocratic society where the exploitation is cranked up to 11 due to magical bullshit. I appreciate the fact that it moves beyond Subaru's personal failures to point out that systemic oppression is going to take a lot more than a guy with a save state curse to resolve.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:45 on May 13, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

The best isekai is actually grimgar of fantasy and ash, and it's major fail that there's no second season of the anime because it's very beautiful.

Grimgar has some cringey fanservice, but what doesn't. There's definitely no other show that's done martial combat as well as Grimgar did. I guess you could argue for Virgin Witch Maria, but being "historically accurate" isn't necessarily better.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gulliver's Travels is isekai

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Thor: Ragnarok?

[looks into camera]

Isekai

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Invincible just plain rocks, and they should legally require all superhero media to have enough outrageous gore that people finally get sick of it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

So has anybody ever seen Night on the Galactic Railroad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmJ3C0z3a4

I gave this a shot the other day and was completely blown away by how atmospheric and spiritual it is. It's astounding that this didn't catch on more in the West. There's heavy themes of Christian self-sacrifice that I think leftists could learn a lot from.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Voice of Labor posted:

spring and chaos is a semidocumentary about the poet who wrote the story that night on the galactic railroad is based on. it is also very good

The posthumously published book was so good that it entered the Japanese literary canon despite being based on an incomplete manuscript. I'm not sure there's anything similar in the Western canon. I'm trying to come up with an incomplete Western classic and all I can think of is the Silmarillion, which is just a famous book for nerds.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The only reason Subaru is able to solve any problems at all is because he gets to have do-overs thanks to the curse, but the curse only works after he's already suffered an excruciating death. The first thing he does in isekai world is get killed by some muggers in the street.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dying really really hurts.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Another world where Hillary is the president but loses re-election to Tom Cotton.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

pillsburysoldier posted:

Newsroom of the Galactic Heroes

Jeff von Newsroom

Bro Dad posted:

Gogol's Dead Souls

I wouldn't include the Russian literary canon in the "Western" canon. But only because all top 5 novels would be Russian.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you can look past the surface level marketing and the godawful fan memes, Tanya the Evil is about God bending the universe to make a libertarian's life a living Hell and it rocks.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreddout posted:

My favorite thing about Tanya is that all the 4chan Nazis loved the show. Then they all had to drop it because the writer mentioned he was a communist in an interview.

You have to be pretty god them stupid to not realize the narrative is making fun of Tanya's tryhard psychopathy

The Salaryman spends the entire arc of the story being irrationally atheist only to finally have a full on meltdown where he declares war on God, and right wingers are like "based."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

Tanya the evil manga is the best version because she's just Blackadder trying and failing to get off the front line

Also all the cute animal drawings :3:

That's pretty much all she does in the show. She hates God because it won't let her just be a useless piece of poo poo and live off the luxuries other people provide for her.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tanya the Based

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

net work error posted:

There's also the one about the Roman dude going to 50's Japan to get Olympic game ideas.

That's an ancient Greek dude, c'mon man.
https://youtu.be/Vm-HO1wQzHk

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The 2nd season of Re:Zero gets bogged down in a way that feels like the light novels it's adapting get a little too deep into exploring the implications of all its premises. Like, plot wise there's a lot happening because Subaru is getting killed a lot by the big story event, but chronologically it's stuck in the same week of time and the same location. If you wanted the overarching "world" plot to go anywhere you're sort of stuck with what the writer wants to explore instead, and that could be a big turnoff. If you can't stay emotionally engaged with it then it's not going to work.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I finally got around to finishing watching Yasuke and it's by far the most disappointing thing I've seen in a long while. You can have every individual element of production going right for you, but if the writing and concepts are bad then it's just not going to work.

Yasuke is a historical figure ripe for adaptation because there's plenty that we know about what he did in Japan, but the details of his life or what happened to him after he returned to the Portuguese is a complete mystery. He's a figure that can act as a vessel to explore a whole range of topics like slavery and liberation, the limits of loyalty, the nature of what it means to serve. Instead the anime hints at bigger ideas but never goes anywhere with them and just ends up saying nothing. It feels like an amateur writing project where they just tried to emulate all the parts of anime they thought was cool without considering if any of it would fit or work or even seem interesting. Not even the fights are particularly good. If you know even a little bit about the historical period it also gets pretty offensive. They make the Japanese out to be way more racist than they would have been at the time. Why does Akechi Mitsuhide care that Yasuke is a "servant?" Why would the people of Iga care that he was a slave? "Samurai" literally means servant.

There was a big opportunity for it to be something really special and instead it's the worst kind of mediocrity, where it's not so bad that it's funny or interesting but not good enough to feel like you didn't waste your time.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

net work error posted:

Kind of agree. Tried watching it but gave up by the second episode because it just wasn't interesting.

You'd think a show called Yasuke would be about its titular character, but the real protagonist is actually the little girl and Yasuke is just the guy who gets her from point A to point B. The main antagonist isn't even Akechi Mitsuhide or anybody else who would be involved with the historical Yasuke, it's an old lady spider demon who wants to live forever.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

it at least shouldn't suck

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I think that's just called "soldiers coming home from war"

the chapter of All Quiet on the Western Front when he gets home leave

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

[slaps roof of the isekai] this bad boy can transport all sorts of virgins

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The real life Comte de Saint Germain was also quite the character.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm the loving spirit of death you loving fucker. Gimme a loving kiss because fuckin' daddy is fuckin' hungry.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Killing people is so awesome. I love it. I love killing people. It's what I'm good at. The killing people. I loving love killing people you stupid fucker. You loving stupid idiot. Just talking to you is wasting my time and preventing me from doing what I love, killing people.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Saying gently caress is fine but it runs into the Whedonish issue of everyone just kinda having the same snarky style of speaking except more gently caress-laden in this case. The ancient being that feeds on souls talks in the same manner as the proud warcrimes vampire and the random drunks.

This is the level of writing you get when someone hasn't had a meaningful social interaction since the 90s. Castlevania has an entire stable of writers, so when Ellis's god hand weighs down on a few characters it really stands out.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Honest Thief posted:

oh right, the artorias armor scene, that one was also a weird tone and prolonged banter on the aftermath
it was the first, and only, time we saw the vampire incursion so they had to put the badass action scene and that bleak realisation on the same scene

They spent the whole season setting up that plotline about "maybe actually running an empire is a little more trouble than it's worth," only to have the problem resolved for them and not actually do anything about it. Then instead of having an epilogue of King Isaac enjoying himself, the cute vampire chooses suicide after a few days of house arrest. It's all just very conveniently getting rid of characters on the flimsiest pretense.

But hey, at least the good parts are good enough to overshadow all of that.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

she "hooked" him in with diplomacy. Dipklomacy. Dicklomacy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I guess after a certain point a vampire could become powerful enough that they can flex their heart at will like an arm muscle. So even if the blood isn't oxygenated it's still going somewhere.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

Castlevania season 2 was bad enough with the main cast hanging around doing nothing in a library all season, only to easily beat Dracula and all of his forces in two episodes. Then Season 3 was just interminable. The main characters are walking around a bland old village with some mysteriously evil religious guys. ooh I wonder what's gonna happen. Then they wasted so much time on the dumb vampire femdom stuff with the white-haired guy.

Has season 4 fixed the problem where they clearly only have the budget for a very small number of action sequences so they spend the entire rest of the season just having the characters chatter and chatter?

Season 3 had extreme "mid-game RPG hub" energy, but I also kind of liked it for it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Still about how those heathen Eastern Europeans with their raw animal magnetism will seduce our chaste innocent white women.

Vampire stories originate in Eastern Europe, and because they're metaphors for aristocracy it's only natural that a core theme would be how they prey on women and get away with it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

galagazombie posted:

This reading doesn’t really work since Vampires were originally essentially just blood zombies with no real aristocratic flair.
Vampires didn’t become associated with aristocracy until the 1800’s and the association was made by well off British men who were definitely going for a Victorian misogyny “They’re stealing our virtuous daughters!” angle. The vampire of the Eastern European common folk was more likely to be your improperly buried neighbor than your shitbag feudal lord.
Of the three works that created the modern Vampire The Vampyre, Carmilla, and Dracula all three are about the seduction of an innocent chaste upper class white lady, two of them by Eastern Europeans.

So you think Lord Byron and Sheridan Le Fanu were paranoid about swarthy eastern europeans snatching up white women? The Vampyre is literally about an English lord.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I find it very hard to believe that 19th century British nobility could be racist.

Lord Byron hated the English aristocracy, preferred to live in Venice, and became a hero of Greece. Sheridan Le Fanu is Irish. I love scoring points on English people as much as the next man of Hibernian descent, but you are really picking the wrong targets.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah an Irish author who agitated for famine relief, writing about an English aristocrat being preyed upon by an eastern european aristocrat is racism, not a poetic irony. You figured it out.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gripweed posted:

You can just enjoy vampire stories, you don't have to convince yourself they're Marx-approved.

the aristocracy as a parasite class is a literal liberal critique tho

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Kars could bud off individual parts of himself and control them remotely. Eventually he could turn himself into a cloud of prions and wreck any Joestar's proteins stand or not.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

all Enigma would have to do is watch Kars get surprised, make a note of it, and then stuff him into a piece of paper and put him in a shredder.

oh sure if you can just make up any stand power then of course he'd lose

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://youtu.be/I2rV8oKWSdM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

best time to do it tbqh