Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

roddy piper; isekai protag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
we should give um, credit to stranger in a strange landvforcreally pioneering the harem element of iseki

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

pairofdimes posted:

OK that explains why I wasn't familiar with it, the entire genre basically sprang up while I wasn't looking.

If I wanted to check out one of them, is the spider one good? I saw a few people mention it in the past few pages.

Check out Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu. It's about a modern day Izakaya with a front door that opens to a medieval European low-fantasy world. All the medieval people are blown away by food that isn't terrible and the Izakaya quickly becomes an institution in the town.

It's all on Youtube I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-epNcUO4FV4

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the last anime I really liked was Dorohedoro. now that was a good one. you forget that they can have good writing

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
check the manga, the art is super cool and grimmy, the anime couldnt really ever get close to it but they did their best in closing the gap

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't think rezero is that good or that bad. There are a lot of tropes of isekai that are built on power fantasies that rezero kind of subverts but it also kind of plays it straight in a lot of ways in a way that starts to kind of clash with the main premise after a while.

Anyway the second season got way too contrived and I no longer knew what the hell was going on because they put a big gap in the middle of the season where they didn't air anything because of covid so I stopped watching

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

The 2nd season of Re:Zero gets bogged down in a way that feels like the light novels it's adapting get a little too deep into exploring the implications of all its premises. Like, plot wise there's a lot happening because Subaru is getting killed a lot by the big story event, but chronologically it's stuck in the same week of time and the same location. If you wanted the overarching "world" plot to go anywhere you're sort of stuck with what the writer wants to explore instead, and that could be a big turnoff. If you can't stay emotionally engaged with it then it's not going to work.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I’ve seen all of re:zero and I think it’s a dog water anime for shmucks who will lap up anything with moderate production value and dynamic voice acting with a touch of grimdark because anime is so creatively bankrupt most of the time that anything slightly out of the box is mind blowing to people who only watch anime and Disney channel originals

supercub is great
oddtaxi is fantastic

drat! This dude cutting through the poo poo!!!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's an ancient Greek dude, c'mon man.
https://youtu.be/Vm-HO1wQzHk

I guess it was huh. I get them confused sometimes.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

check the manga, the art is super cool and grimmy, the anime couldnt really ever get close to it but they did their best in closing the gap

mmmm maybe I dont know if I want to start getting into manga but then again I spend most of my day pretending to work so

what I've noticed about most exciting new anime series is that the first few episodes are good because the author had some great original ideas but then they quickly ran out of them and the shows turn into tournament arcs and literally the same plots, characters and settings as every other show of that type

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

mistermojo posted:

mmmm maybe I dont know if I want to start getting into manga but then again I spend most of my day pretending to work so

what I've noticed about most exciting new anime series is that the first few episodes are good because the author had some great original ideas but then they quickly ran out of them and the shows turn into tournament arcs and literally the same plots, characters and settings as every other show of that type

Iunno man I still dig the moments of triumph in My Hero Academia and it's 4 seasons in.

Lot of other shows do it pretty badly tho

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

mistermojo posted:

what I've noticed about most exciting new anime series is that the first few episodes are good because the author had some great original ideas but then they quickly run out of them and the shows turn into tournament arcs and literally the same plots, characters and settings as every other show of that type
it's a genre thing, imo shounen tournament arcs rule and while there's plenty of bad ones it's one of those things you either like it on the genre or not

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I finally got around to finishing watching Yasuke and it's by far the most disappointing thing I've seen in a long while. You can have every individual element of production going right for you, but if the writing and concepts are bad then it's just not going to work.

Yasuke is a historical figure ripe for adaptation because there's plenty that we know about what he did in Japan, but the details of his life or what happened to him after he returned to the Portuguese is a complete mystery. He's a figure that can act as a vessel to explore a whole range of topics like slavery and liberation, the limits of loyalty, the nature of what it means to serve. Instead the anime hints at bigger ideas but never goes anywhere with them and just ends up saying nothing. It feels like an amateur writing project where they just tried to emulate all the parts of anime they thought was cool without considering if any of it would fit or work or even seem interesting. Not even the fights are particularly good. If you know even a little bit about the historical period it also gets pretty offensive. They make the Japanese out to be way more racist than they would have been at the time. Why does Akechi Mitsuhide care that Yasuke is a "servant?" Why would the people of Iga care that he was a slave? "Samurai" literally means servant.

There was a big opportunity for it to be something really special and instead it's the worst kind of mediocrity, where it's not so bad that it's funny or interesting but not good enough to feel like you didn't waste your time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Mandela Effect is just when you're the Isekai.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kind of agree. Tried watching it but gave up by the second episode because it just wasn't interesting.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net work error posted:

Kind of agree. Tried watching it but gave up by the second episode because it just wasn't interesting.

You'd think a show called Yasuke would be about its titular character, but the real protagonist is actually the little girl and Yasuke is just the guy who gets her from point A to point B. The main antagonist isn't even Akechi Mitsuhide or anybody else who would be involved with the historical Yasuke, it's an old lady spider demon who wants to live forever.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not everything can be masterpiece of historical fiction Nioh and Nioh 2

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it at least shouldn't suck

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I think the first Isekai I watched was a weird show back in the 90's about genocide, rape, child soldiers and abortion called Ima Sokoni Iru Boku. The term was definitely not in use back then though, it must have been SAO that brought it forward.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Tanya the Based

Tanya the Redpilled

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Is magic school bus an anthology isekai?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is the original isekai everything is a derivation of that

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Larry Parrish posted:

Not everything can be masterpiece of historical fiction Nioh and Nioh 2

SEEEERSHHHEEHH

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Christmas Carol is isekai.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Having watched neither, which is worse RE: Zero or Konasuba?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Voice of Labor posted:

what's the word for isekai when the character isn't transported to an alien world but their regular world becomes alien to them? special-kai?

I think that's just called "soldiers coming home from war"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

the chapter of All Quiet on the Western Front when he gets home leave

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the chapter of All Quiet on the Western Front when he gets home leave

OK, who wants to be the one to make a twitter thread about how All Quiet on the Western Front is an isekai?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

christmas boots posted:

nam was an isekai

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Honest Thief posted:

Chris Dorner was an isekai

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

This is fast becoming are Technicals an Isekai? Or is an isekai a technical?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

[slaps roof of the isekai] this bad boy can transport all sorts of virgins

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's just a truck

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
Genesis is an iseki, as are many creation stories.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
That actually reminds me of a story from the Thompson people of BC from James Taits ethnography where it's a Thompson boy who goes to Europe to fight cannibals and have adventures.

There is no escaping isekai. Imaging a world without isekai? I'll bet you'd like to escape to that world, wouldn't you?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Ascendance of a Bookworm is pretty good isekai leftist-anime

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

KomradeX posted:

That's just a truck

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yep, that'd send anyone to a fantasy world with inexplicable video game systems.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Be sure to make contact with the bumper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think the other day on these forums someone made mention of an anime or manga that was about truck drivers whose job it was to hit people with their trucks so they could be reincarnated into fantasy worlds that needed them.