Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Augus posted:

wtf

you can't just get isekai'd into the same world you were already living in, that's hosed up

wait a minute this is just that dumb Toby Fox Homestuck album about having a baby and the baby is you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

people seem to be really into that show because it had a hot woman naked in one shot but apparently the plot is that the woman is actually her brother due to a brain transplant and he wants to gently caress his sister

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Truga posted:

the thing whirling is talking about was already in the anime, but also whirling is wrong and probably got that info 4th hand or something because that's not how it happens lol

probably, I'm just mad about anime constantly having incest in it because it randomly showed up in Spy X Family and every time that loving weirdo Yuri showed up I was muttering this to myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr7bF_ZFSB4

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm glad Dungeon Meshi is getting an anime, I love it so much and I have faith in Studio Trigger after they redeemed themselves for Darling in the Franxx with Cyberpunk Edgerunners.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

what's the obsession with Demon Kings always being the antagonists for everything in Japan now? its the dullest antagonist you could possibly have since they're just going to be an always evil guy that can be killed with no remorse, and it seems like its not being contained to isekai slop like it should be.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I wish I could hear Trump say "Sprigatito"

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

getting baptized is isekai

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

love to have nationalism for an army that exists solely to buy US army surplus

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

that flavor of monster is pretty good, if you're into the sinful behavior that is drinking monster. also I have no idea what this image is trying to convey.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

tokin opposition posted:

The perks of being bimbopilled dipshit

is it drinking monster because if so i guess i'm already bimbopilled

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

read Houseki no Kuni up to the latest chapter and wew. That Phos sure can suffer! Reminds me a lot of the novel Sirens of Titan. It is kinda funny how a lot of people who got into it through Tumblr ditched the series when it became apparent that the focus was more about Buddhism than it was shipping the gems together like in Steven Universe.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

hell yeah

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Popy posted:

wtf what anime is Jamiroquai in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCk2udVFvo

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Political power grows out of the barrel of a beam rifle

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I wonder if people are mad about the lack of kissing because Iron-Blooded Orphans also had two women get married but a bunch of fans interpreted it as "oh they're doing it solely for the tax benefits" or something like that

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

this conversation about gundam sucks, lets talk about how they should make the next season of Land of the Lustrous now instead

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm glad that the manga of Land of the Lustrous goes full buddhist, pretty interesting. A lot of people got really pissed about the arc where Phos goes to the moon, but I thought it was fun. Maybe its one of those things that sucks when you read it when it comes out instead of all at once?

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I also want season 2 of Dorohedoro because it had really good opening and ending songs and I want more of them please

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

net work error posted:

I looked into the premise of that show and immediately was like what the gently caress. Why is it so popular

Same, I just mentally sorted it into the same bucket I dump other trash that's inexplicably popular like Mushoku Tensei or Made in Abyss. I gotta assume its because most anime communities are full of people who do nothing but read anime and manga, so it results in them praising incredibly boring cliches like being reborn or dungeon-crawl rip-off bullshit if they're even halfway clever and don't play things entirely straight, and ignoring weird poo poo that wouldn't fly anywhere else.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Shouldn't you have gone with the scene where Will Smith erases Tommy Lee Jones' memory

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

Cyberpunk Edgerunners, a show with great music, is also trying to be an Icarus myth while also trying to do class consciousness. It's incredibly hopeless

Cyberpunk Edgerunners vindicated my belief that I Really Want to Stay at Your House was the best licensed song they got for the video game.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

sb hermit posted:

I have an xbox one, which is the 3rd generation xbox. Does cyberpunk 2077 run at a minimally acceptable level on my system?

(I also ostensibly have a ps4 but I don’t want to drag it out)

IIRC, it ran poorly on the Xbox One, but not nearly as badly as it did on the PS4, which was such a trainwreck that Sony had to remove it from their digital storefront on the PS4 entirely.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I saw that they're making a new Madoka Magicka movie but I feel like the enthusiasm for that series dropped off hard after the first real movie and that one sequel (?) anime they put out. Honestly, I rewatched the original like last year and it doesn't hold up very well. Part of it is that it was way more exciting when it was airing episode by episode and nobody knew what would happen next, but it has so many scenes where the characters do nothing but say exposition about the same stuff we already know about; "Madoka would you make a wish if it would be hosed up and bad?" "I dunno, I guess we'll do this routine for 10 more episodes."

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think the only other Urobuchi works I've experienced are Psycho Pass (I can barely remember what the gently caress happened in that poo poo) and Thunderbolt Fantasy, which has a good first and third season but the second season does the same poo poo I hated in Madoka where characters sit around expositing to each other in ways that don't present new information or advance the plot. There's so many scenes where that terrible monk character is talking about how he has basically no motivations and how maybe it'd be hosed up if he gained a bad motivation, and it really drags everything down.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Gold standard for CGI in anime is still the Houseki no Kuni adaptation, what a show

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I haven't watched anime in a bit but I'm stoked for the Delicious in Dungeon anime. Friends tell me the manga is pretty good and just finished so I might pick that up.

Its one of my all time favorites.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I don't get why Mushoku Tensei is so popular because every thing I hear about it makes it sound like one of the most dogshit things I've ever heard of in my life but people on western anime sites and anime reviewers eat it up.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

if they don't make land of the lustrous season 2 soon im gonna go loving berserk

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Doc Hawkins posted:

read the comic!!

it's very good

I already have, this is why I'm gonna go mad if its not out by the end of 2024

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Tried Jujutsu Kaisen and gave up. I got spoiled by Chainsaw Man and how action just happens in it without people narrating it. Jujutsu Kaisen has some interesting elements from what I could see (magical society is incredibly backwards and the protagonists seem like they'd be working to change that), but its buried underneath, "My god, he's attacking at a 45 degree angle in order to maximize his trajectory! I'll have to counter by using the Spinning Crane tactical maneuver!"

Whirling has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Oct 8, 2023

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I read Shut Hell and it was a lot of fun, its very entertaining historical fiction about the Mongol invasion of Central Asia, although the need to always have a Japanese point-of-view character is quite absurd in this case; the writer has to do some very strange time travel poo poo where a dopey Japanese guy has to cohabit the body of the titular character (who is his past incarnation, I think?), and the result is that there's a few times where a much more interesting character has to take the backseat for a guy that is just kinda there. At least he's not a pervert I guess.

Also, this manga reinforces my belief that women are better manga authors overall. Dudes need to be making more historical dramas like Vagabond and less isekai slop.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Honestly I think I'd have liked it if there was a little more focus on the guy and his girlfriend in the modern period. If she wrote like 5 tight issues about these people and their relationship before time travel shenanigans occurs that made me care about them, I'd think the manga was perfect. Still, great stuff, 4/5 stars from me.

Anyway, yes, will check out all the stuff by other female mangaka. I've already finished Dungeon Meshi and Dorohedoro (Dorohedoro is also my favorite manga overall).

Whirling has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Oct 13, 2023

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

got recommended shuzo oshimi by some online friends because I liked goodnight punpun but so far every one of his books I've read (okaeri alice, aku no hana, blood on the tracks) has been terrible. dude just cannot figure out how to write a good psychological drama; every character in his stuff acts utterly deranged but without really any reason why they are acting so deranged, and that extends to every character's sexuality in a really creepy way where people will just sexually assault each other at the drop of a hat. did not finish any of them.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Eh I like Punpun but it feels like it was made largely because Asano was tired of being typecast as a guy who only makes feel-good slice of life stuff, so some things come off as trying too hard. Still, it beats Oshimi stuff, where people will go absolutely feral for no real reason other than to drive the plot forward.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Ikoku Nikki is one of the best manga I've ever read. Women score yet another W.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

bitmap posted:

I wanna read something new. sell me on it.

The gist of it is that a writer adopts her teenage niece after her niece's parents die in a car accident, and what follows is them learning to live with each other and how this changes them both. What I really like about it is that it never really becomes mawkish or schmaltzy despite the subject matter tending towards that in other manga in this vein, and that the characters are written with a lot of maturity and realism to them. The aunt doesn't instantly learn to love her niece or vice versa, considering that the aunt absolutely hated her sister and is an extreme introvert (one could honestly argue that she is probably autistic, but its never stated) to the point where she often comes off as really cold when talking with others, interacting with just one person is an ordeal, and having to deal with two in a single night completely wipes her out, while the kid is obviously processing this horrible event that happened to her and is also sort of the opposite of her aunt in that she's pretty extroverted and generally very kind to others. Again, this could be cloying if it were by a less skilled writer, but its all portrayed as very natural; they get on each other's nerves often, but the drama is not manufactured in any way, both of them have their good and bad aspects to them, and them learning to resolve these conflicts takes some time rather than being instantly fixed in a single chapter. The supporting cast is also pretty great, although I feel I'd edge into spoilers if I started talking about whats up with each of them in specific.

Also, its just nice to have a manga that has mostly adult characters in it; while the niece has her own circle of teenage friends, her aunt's friends are also very prominent and all of them are in their 30s.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Job well done!

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

starkebn posted:

I was digging Frieren until they met the fighter guy and typical tropey anime poo poo started happening. I hope they cut back on that in the upcoming episodes

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is going to be a tournament arc eventually

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

drat I got like four people in this thread to read that manga, I'm glad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

thinking about that bit in dorohedoro where Fujita gets devil cable tv and it has like 100 different channels dedicated to various horror genres. truly the world of sorcerers is a better one than our own