Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
it is also okay to laugh at hilariously right wing anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
recognizing that one needs a break from the forums exists on what you might call a spectrum of dignity. on one end is just drifting away for a bit and on the other is seraph84 or whatever it was. in between lies comedy and regret.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

christmas boots posted:

Let me take a stab at it. It's fascist because the country continues to exist despite the fact that not only was it built on a foundation of genocide, that was it's raison d'etre from the start and additionally one of the most high-profile war criminals in the government received a pardon and will likely become the leader at some point. The indigenous people are not granted sovereignty and incremental reforms appear to be the basis for hope going forward.

So basically the ending of WWII?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

the lns are extremely fun. the author is a huge internet/urban legends dork and goes out of their way to even cite specific 2ch threads for inspiration

also very serious about the main characters being gay

im liking this guys vibe

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
not strictly and anime, but the only time i've encountered sometime too anime to be bearable is disgaea and that was at least half down to being painfully saccharine which i guess is nic soft or whatever's thing and a monkey cheese sort of humor that lead to a weird buck rodgers parody when i wanted to be carving a bloody path through hell

in conclusion thank you for listening to this deeply personal trauma from which i immediately recovered because none of my college roommates were judgy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Meme Emulator posted:

I liked the wierd buck rogers parody. I liked that the hell senate involves you beating the poo poo out of all dissentors, and you can abhuse the combination mechanic to get more votes by throwing weak anti senators onto higher level pro senators

lol i forgot that part, that sort of owns

im sure there was a lot to love about that game but most of it just fell flat for me

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
leftist things should be horny but avoid being creepy surely this can't be that hard

thinking about the forums and not feeling great for the chances of this ideal

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

KaptainKrunk posted:

not to be that guy that thinks 90s anime was better (anime now definitely has a bigger variety of art styles and overall higher quality)

but it's hard to beat this poo poo

likewise not to do the it was better before it was popular thing, but there's still a bit of an underground vibe that attaches to the older stuff in the west, perhaps in part to the specific choices of what to translate for the westerns market playing into this. lots of wild ideas and cyberpunk scifi.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

christmas boots posted:

horny is *not* praxis.

sex is capitalism.

procreation is production. does that mean something? I think so. someone else take over

we deeply regret to inform you that there is no ethical horny under capitalism. i apologize for the near 100% probability that this phrase made you think of sonic the hedgehog (if it didn't then, um, whoops i guess).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Truga posted:

the latter half of klk kinda falls apart, but the early eps own

also it gave us the owl day meltdown post so it can't be bad :v:

requesting the meltdown post

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

its fine. action anime made by trigger. no idea what people expect out of it

sound like there should be a warning of some sort...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

christmas boots posted:

there never has nor will there ever be anything in anime that Gilgamesh didn’t do first and better.

isn't this a plot premise in fate or something?

Truga posted:

meltdown

lol please don't be mean to japan its going through a lot right now

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Lostconfused posted:

No, he says that but he is actually a loser that gets owned every time. He becomes more owned and less relevant as the plot goes on.

tbf this is also true as 99% of us who know much about gilgamesh were initially interested because "oh the funny big bridge battle dude from final fantasy"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Homeless Friend posted:

can't believe you were just given the text/post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwq5K-EK8Pc

so beautiful :anime:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

harem anime was absolute mathematic innovation

take the classic love triangle and then realize that there are shapes with more sides

add more guys and you can realize the 3d form of the soap opera

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

log horizon is fascinating because it really delves into what it means that a bunch of mmo players become their characters in a real world, but only in actively boring ways.

isn't it basically isekai but the people who make spreadsheets for the goon squad transfer over?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

pretty much, and then they have to form a functional society mostly from scratch. it has a lot of ideas and plot elements that sound really interesting but then just plain aren't.

maybe it's the sort of thing that worked better as a novel or manga

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Dr Pepper posted:

Thats because its good op

i don't know much about it, but my understanding from an ex is you're supposed to get involved in the romance between the mc and the fox spirit dude. you see this in a lot of stuff with fox spirits- fox spirits are sus but at the same time they make great spouses, reflecting the fact that foxes (well only some types i assume) are monogamous.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Dr Pepper posted:

Inuyasha is a dog half youkai not a fox. Its literally his name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68e4p32eaQ

well gently caress

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Dongicus posted:

hunter x hunter is a leftist anime because its good

the hunters organization is elitist as hell but at the same time their bizarre version of capitalism probably makes more sense than the real thing. also the old dude nukes the bug emperor.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

the weirdest, most obsessive and generally exceptional people are also the best at nen. the hunter org's purpose is to attract those people and exert some influence on their behavior by providing incentives and goals. it doesn't really work that way for people who take the exam when they already know nen, but the test is mostly a formality for them anyway.

They don't allow the public to know about nen for reasons, right?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Augus posted:

"hatred" is a human emotion and cannot be felt by landmasses

entire biospheres, on the other hand, well... wrong thread for that

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
im really not sure what the gently caress kuma kuma kuma bear is but im going to treasure it until something inevitably runs it for me

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Larry Parrish posted:

Fascism wouldn't be dangerous if it wasnt appealing. Hell, the heart of horseshoe theory isnt even wrong; much fascist and communist writing differ only on how they define the 'in group'. Fascists support the perceived majority and communists everyone, minus our enemies. It does blur a little. Most of that is fascist thinkers intentionally piggy backing on known populism, but it doesnt magically stop being inherently appealing because of that.

eh, tbh this is a really weak understanding of communist and fascist writing. i get what you're saying in terms of contemporary politics, but if you have any deeper understanding this stuff you're not showing it right now

the stuff in the twitter link had a really good concise point: fascism is fundamentally the aestheticization of politics, and communism responds to this by politicizing art.

libs have hosed that up a lot by coopting the superficial aspects of it, but optimistically this might drive a synthesis (note that this is not an endorsement of cozying up to the fash).

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 08:55 on Jan 27, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i just cannot get over one of the villains in the final season of Attack On Titan being World War 1 Ottoman Turks and also what the gently caress is up with the armbands?

its like isayama just doubled down on the fash imagery.

i mean im still gonna binge it but still

the armbands that eldeans have to wear outside the walls? it marks them as nonpeople.

also lol if you think those guys are significant villains

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
seconding Mob Psycho 100, also consider some classics like original seasons (ie before the serieses with subtitles) of Naruto and Dragon Ball, and more or less any Miyazaki film

also for my joke entry i'm going for the vintage fantasy hentai Words Worth. sadly it has nothing to do with english poets.

e: also Tower of God. It only has one season so far, but the manwha is amazing, and you support a korean artist who is currently finally taking the time he needs off in order to not be permanently crippled by the work ethic from hell that is what is takes to succeed with only things like an original vision and genuine talent in korea

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Mar 17, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

MonsieurChoc posted:

In the art book they say ORT is meant to be like an optional superboss in jrpgs.

One of the reasons I love those is that they give a sense that there's something significant outside the main narrative. In RPGs, which are also defined a lot by "power levels," that helps give the sense that there's a world out there that can insist upon its own existence.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Gripweed posted:

In the Girls Und Panzer universe world peace was achieved so they repurposed all the aircraft carriers by building high schools on them because it was discovered that students learn better when their school is on a massive boat.

i loving love science!!!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Yossarian-22 posted:

My gf isn't really into anime that are too masculine (she couldn't stand jojo) and idk if the same applies to me but in reverse for Sailor Moon, another anime I thought of fomoing into :v:

the ideal time as a straight guy to watch sailor moon is when you can still feel guilty for being into a character because there's no way an older girl would date you

also yeah pre-z db is just a weird funny show about what if superman + the journey west

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 10:46 on Mar 31, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

drat a manga written by a guy who denies the nanking massacre + the existence of 'comfort women' isnt good?? cant believe it

do you have a source on this? because the most I've ever found is him naming a side character after a war criminal and being embarrassed about it

and then lot of projecting a really weak reading of the themes onto what the author clearly must believe to have written what they imagine he did

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

VideoTapir posted:

Unless this is another war criminal, it wasn't naming a character after one, it was modeling his appearance (closely) and role (loosely) after one.

I stopped watching, so I dunno...did Pixis turn out to be a bad guy? He was set up kind pf ominously, but that doesn't mean poo poo when creators are tone deaf.

as I remember, he sort of fades into the background and the characters side-eye his hobby of torturing ex-aristocrats in creative manners and wonder if having him in charge is a good idea. making him a sort of taintrunner, i guess? anyhow (this is where i looked it up), he hands over power to historia (who doesn't seem to exercise political power herself much but i can't remember what sort of government she delegated things to) and eventually gets titanified (not the cool type that gives you powers) by zeke.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

christmas boots posted:

it sounds like the last chapter might have poo poo the bed but last I checked pretty much everyone sort of turned out to be the bad guys except for the child soldiers who realized that it was kind of bullshit that they were all child soldiers

by the time erin catches up to reiner, he won't even let reiner apologize because he's just glad that his old friend understands that he feels like he never had a choice but to be anything but a monster.

it'd kind of suck if it really is true that the author couldn't think of a satisfying way to end it since he had erin spending most of his life depressed because he knew his own fate and the whole magical past girl deus ex machina to work with, he could have written whatever he wanted to finish things up.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

A mass of lovely mass produced mobile suits overwhelming and crushing a heavily customized state of the art Gundam like a swarm of ants is something I could see happening in the original Gundam, and maybe the 80's Gundam shows, but it completely goes against the aesthetics of modern day Gundam, so I don't think we're going to see a communist faction in modern day Gundam any time soon.

when in doubt, base your power fantasy on the feudal logic of being arbitrarily assigned an investment of training and material support amounting to an insurmountable advantage over 99.5% of enemies, then make having won the fight before you were even conceived look impressive

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

christmas boots posted:

lmao the first episode of Gundam Wing ends with the hero tearing up an invitation to a teenage girl's birthday party and then promising to murder her.

I haven't watched it since the Toonami days but that fact will never leave me

that and the big montage where the main characters end a war without a single casualty are all I've seen of the show, and frankly the main reason not to watch the rest is fear that it could never live up to that level of crazy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

christmas boots posted:

What we're saying is watch it, Hodgepodge

it sounds crazy enough, it's on my backlist now

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Ibblebibble posted:

Personally seeing that I'm repped by a monkey man in a giant skull orangutan robot in G Gundam kinda rolls the racism counter all the way back around to "hecking cool"

i give you a high five in my tremendous Lumber Gundam

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

pillsburysoldier posted:

He got wolfwood killed by Vash convincing him that he too could live in an unrealistic ethos, wolfwood not knowing that Vash is a literal superhuman alien with powers that can get him through his bullshit antics

wolfwood's weapon is literally a gigantic cross

evangelion might just be more subtle than trigun as animes which reference christianity in their titles go

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
if you dont like a translation, maybe you should blame yourself or god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

TenementFunster posted:

https://twitter.com/Locksneedfartin/status/1386000792625291269?s=20
lol "DIRECT TRANSLATION ONLY"
*500 figures of speech, idioms, slang*
"wtf"

e:lol oh my god it skips right to "i'm not a nazi, but you gotta hand it to hitler"

lol mfer doesnt even have a second language and wants to tell people how to translate poo poo