Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this forum has been on the internet for 20 years lol. imagine that. we started with default phpbb smilies, right.... but then,,, we made more. many many much more. we are the pioneers of :v: which is obviously iconic regardless of ur feeling re: this smilie, but thems the facts - its legendary.

lol here some of my feels:

:science: look at this emote. its classic. for one the pixel art is sick, and then the second is way more meta. remember in like the mid 2000s when like athiesm was like was sick and epic, thats the heritage of the science emote. classic poo poo imo. We did a Science Thing, Goon Sir! :science: lol thats sick

:coal: this is vintage. its like cool but cooler. i think its a penguin which live on the ice which is cool. i think there is a deeper etymological story on this emote. but it is very sick and insanely SA. Like what is cooler than cool, well, it's coal.

:D nuff said

:dance: u used to mostly put this in sexist context about boobs and stuff iirc. like hell yea. maybe problematic lol but imo its vintage as gently caress and classic.

:fap: do u remember post on dpph?

:geno: that web game i didnt play but many ppl did. classic poo poo

:haw: this is so old. very ancient, supremely historical

:jerkbag: lol. even the name of his makes me think of 2005

:redhammer: powerful SA feels. the ultimate forum. the greatest forum on the net

:rimshot: dont forget to tip your wiatress

:reject: this is my monitor in the off position

:rolleyes: goons are smarter than most ppl lol i guess

:o: used almost exclusively by legendary forums user None More Negative. this man was iconic to me as a teen.

:tipshat: perfect emote. line art is divine and the sentiment is 100. dont u wish this was a emoji for ur cell phone? i do

last one :saddowns: ths smilie is probs probelmatic lol, well, this forum is 20 years old

<hr>

Anyways, the idea here is post your favorite smilie an tell me why. here's mine:

:dukedoge:
Dukedoge is my favorite smilie because it's epic as gently caress for one. That goes without saying. It's the doge meme, lol, which is funny as gently caress because it's funny on its own merits (famous meme) but also because it's retro as hell now, which makes it ironically funny. Furthemore it is smoking, which is cool. Beyond that it references Duke Nukem whcih is mega ownage in terms of forums. Recall the Forever Banned status which fragmaster or somethign could do to ppl which banned them until DNF came out, whioch was sposed to be never, but then it did come out. (did all these ppl get unbanned upon release? unknown.) Duke Nukem himself is of course very loving win if you ask me, for a litany of obvious reasons, kicking, hookers, etc.

Regardless.... Please post your favorite smilie and tell me why it is your favorite. I will be reading, eagerly.

i will l;eave u with the Vesper music to go over the smilie list to ruminate on your selection:

vesper music (cue this)
smilie list (browse this)

Smythe has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

:same:

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

:smith: i can't remember where this one is from but i'm pretty sure it's my spirit animal

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I made :piss: for https://goontu.be and I’m glad it made its way over here (and even got variations like :brexit:).

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
please type more about why you like your smilie. like at least a paragraph. im SURE you have these feels in your mind, dont be embarrassed to post it. we are all goons here, it's not Shameful to love the forums and pontificate on their heritage and your smilies relationship to it.

yt,
your friend smythe

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i like the shark/dolphin and i only know the code for like 3 smilies and i can't remember the other 2 right now

Mantle
May 15, 2004

:iiam: just the right amount of sarcasm

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I like :allears:, it's very well made and it's also applicable surprisingly often.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Griefor posted:

I like :allears:, it's very well made and it's also applicable surprisingly often.

That's also my favourite. It's extremely versatile. It can mean "I love what I'm seeing and I'm eager for more" or "this is extremely dumb and I can't believe I'm witnessing it" or, at its best, both at the same time. Ideal for when you're reading the Newspaper Spider-Man thread.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
:colbert: is my favorite smilie. It's stern with an angry undertone -- PERIOD. :colbert:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:popeye: is my favorite because it takes the classic cartoon imagery of eyeballs popping out of someone's head in surprise and then inverts it in a comedic fashion, op

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I like :sax: because it is very cute and I'm sad I don't see it near-constantly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:thumbsup: because it looks super sarcastic.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

big fan of :whitewater: because, although the backstory is potentially Troubling in this day and age, it nevertheless expresses a kind of horrified grimace that is often exactly the correct response to posts by the moral, social, and intellectual defectives that make up this website's clientele

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

:iiam: and :ughh: and :psyduck: are my boring favorites from the olden days.

i like this guy: :peanut:, but i don't know where he's from i just really like the animation.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
:haibrower: because its the natural extension of :haibrow: which I made, based on the very excellent :hai: which is just a great emoji

i look forward to :haibrowest:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

:buddy: is my fav and it's a testament to the darkness of these times that i have fewer reasons to use it now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hard counter posted:

:buddy: is my fav and it's a testament to the darkness of these times that i have fewer reasons to use it now
                           /

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like :madmax: because he's ready for whatever you've got for him and then some. Look at that self assured grin and badass bandana.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:lofty: because it works perfectly

but closely after, the classic :buddy:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
:11tea: because it's a kettle and I work out with kettlebells, also it has a kind of placid look about it

:coolfish: cold as ice; i mean fish

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
coolfish is so legendary. reminds me of eskimo bob for some reason. same with the omgitsjamez cape floaty guy smilie that nobody uses for some reason

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
oh I forgot to mention my two vanity smilies, :chome: and :mome: of course. those are big win for obvious reasons

big thanks to the six figmen of YOSPOS for their purcahse :cheersdoge:

Smythe has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Jan 8, 2021

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

it's really dumb but I'm partial to :fyh: just because that story (and the dramatic readings) had me cackling back in the day. I'm not even sure if it was real or not but it was pretty good at the time.

I think :ftbrg: came out around the same time but that once has obviously changed.

Same with :mrgw: who never even logged into his account, for shame.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I like :ohdear: a lot and miss it when I'm on platforms with inferior smilie capabilities. It strikes just the right tone to work both sarcastically and sincerely. Conventional emojis just can't capture the feeling nearly as well.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Straight White Shark posted:

I like :ohdear: a lot and miss it when I'm on platforms with inferior smilie capabilities. It strikes just the right tone to work both sarcastically and sincerely. Conventional emojis just can't capture the feeling nearly as well.

that's exactly how i use :ohdear: too, and i also wish there were an equivalent of it on other platforms

:hf:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

Seconded. SA has a lot of good, expressive emotes whose lack I keenly feel on other platforms.

Like :effort: or :stare: or :unsmith:, all very specific feelings that I haven't seen a good equivalent for.

Also I am pleased to see this little guy finally gets to enjoy his drink: :guinness:

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
:agesilaus:
Named after a goon who yearned back to the time of ancient Rome which he thought was much better than the modern age. When explained that the lives of plebs/slaves there were actually not all that back then, he retorted that that wasn't a problem, in the pure meritocracy of ancient Rome his amazing intellect would obviously make him a noble and who cares about the lives of lesser people when you are as great as he?

It's now mostly used as a :smug: in a historic setting but it also always reminds me of its history.

Reference: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=183787

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

:metis: lmao remember this? these forums got up to some wild stuff, back in the day lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I like :toot: because it works both genuinely and ironically.

My covid test came back negative! I'm gonna be okay!! :toot:

Lmao I got covid can't wait to get hooked up to some tubes :toot:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
:cripes: is the best because it’s perfect for when you realize you’re doing something dunb or express how someone else is being such a non-self-aware idiot. i don’t use emotes a lot but this one is probably one of my most used

runners-up are :sweatdrop: and :holy: (look how happy this fuckin guy is) and :shrug:

teen phone cutie has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Jan 8, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

big fan of :razz: on this end of the line. so many use cases but especially things that are freaking awesome

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

:ccb: lol. le clown balloon much? only real goons will understand this one :D

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shibawanko posted:

big fan of :razz: on this end of the line. so many use cases but especially things that are freaking awesome

What happened to : awesome :?

edit: like, I thought : awesome : was supposed to be :razz: and that :fuckyou: was supposed to be what :awesome: currently is.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

iirc :razz: got supremely over-used when it first came out so there was a bit of a backlash?

like, i'm pretty sure the code was : imaf*g : or some such at one point

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

hard counter posted:

iirc :razz: got supremely over-used when it first came out so there was a bit of a backlash?

like, i'm pretty sure the code was : imaf*g : or some such at one point

It was loving everywhere and that drove a lot of people up the goddamn wall.

Like I cannot overemphasize this: y'all know how we make fun of reddit for stupid catchphrases and basement-lurker tendencies? That's what SA was like back in the day. The culture has changed really impressively.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I animated the criminally underutilized :aliexpress: TOOT TOOT!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

It was loving everywhere and that drove a lot of people up the goddamn wall.

Like I cannot overemphasize this: y'all know how we make fun of reddit for stupid catchphrases and basement-lurker tendencies? That's what SA was like back in the day. The culture has changed really impressively.

it's still like that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

YeahTubaMike posted:

What happened to : awesome :?

edit: like, I thought : awesome : was supposed to be :razz: and that :fuckyou: was supposed to be what :awesome: currently is.

Awesome still exists. For a while it had a slur in it. Now it is :imunfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

it's still like that

It was worse.