Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Problem description: After a few hours of use, the system powers down completely. If I try to turn it back on straight away, the system will boot and work but will power off again after a few minutes. If I leave it off overnight, it will work again for a few hours. I got sick of this when it first started happening a few years ago, and stopped using it for years. When I tried using it again the problem went away for days/weeks then start happening again. It doesn't seem to occur with any regularity, or when I'm doing something specific (other than browsing the web, which is all I really use it for now). The problem occurs whether or not the battery is charging.

I realise this is an old machine, and this is not an urgent issue but this has been bothering me since it started happening and really I just wondered if any of the smart people in here could point me in a specific direction or give me a clue as to what it could be.

Attempted fixes: I tried memory diagnostics, and futzing with the power, but everything seemed fine. I installed Fedora on it rather than Windows 10, just in case it was an operating system thing, and it does the same thing. I thought it might be a battery issue, but I can leave it on streaming a 10 hour HD video on Youtube and the battery will go down as expected and it won't power off.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem? This started happening literally years ago now, but I don't think it was caused by any changes. I haven't dropped it or spilled anything on it or anything.

--

Operating system: Happened with Windows 10 & Fedora 32/33 (current OS).

System specs: HP Spectre X2- 12-a001na (bought 2016). It's a fanless laptop/tablet, think a knockoff version of a Surface. You can't access the internals without breaking the whole thing open pretty much (thanks HP!).

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. A lot of people appear to have this issue on the HP support website, but as far as I can see have never received a specific answer as to what the problem is or had it successfully fixed (thanks again HP!).

Thank you for reading if you got this far, and any help at all would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Does it get hot? The symptoms point to it possibly overheating.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

It does get hot sometimes, but that doesn't reliably track with when it shuts down, if that makes sense. I've used it while warm with no effects, sometimes it's swtiched off after an hour of webbrowsing while cool. I thought at one point it could be the thermal paste or something, but I can't open it up and re-apply without almost certainly cracking the display (apparently).