Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I've always adored the behavior of AI characters in games like this, and the marines are no exception. Even their interactions with each other - they'll complain about kill-steals (usually to you), and they'll bitch about incidental friendly fire, and will even apologize for it! And they just love watching the Chief work. They'll compliment headshots, gleefully celebrate good grenade kills, and will move to double-tap downed covenant after a fight, just to make sure they're not faking it. Or maybe just vent some extra aggression into their corpse. They will also either compliment or complain about running Covenant over with the Warthog - some of them find making Covenant Road Pizza to be great fun, others whine that it's more fun shootin' 'em.

Marines aren't overly helpful in a big pitched fight, but they're not helpless either. Marines can generally take down Grunts without issue - and while they might struggle against Jackals, in my experience, some of them get pretty frag-happy with grenades, which counters the shield nicely.

It's Elites they don't fare so well against.

However, this all hinges on Marines using the bog-standard Assault Rifle. If you find a marine wielding a Sniper Rifle, treasure that boy and do everything you can to take him with you. Those guys can snipe out the biggest of Covenant Ground Forces with very little effort. It might take a few shots to hit the sweet spot, but unlike you, they're not restricted by a limited number of shots. They still need to reload, but they have unlimited reserve ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

:same:

As for the "we vs. aliens" debate, I think it's a running theme in many sci-fi settings like this that the aliens are constantly underestimating humans. The Covenant especially have united all of these alien races under a banner of shared fanaticism, they probably are used to other species either becoming assimilated or getting steamrolled out of existence. The humans of Halo at least say "no we won't" at a level of fierceness and tenacity that the Covenant are completely unused to, and that seems to be the one thing allowing the humans to hold their own. The Covenant think "oh they would have to sacrifice four of their ships to take down even one of hours, surely they won't" and the humans go OOH-RAH and do just that.

It's worth noting that the Elites develop enough respect for humanity as warriors that a lot of them are actively confused as to why the humans were never given a chance to join the Covenant, and why it's straight to "EXTERMINATE THEM" from the Covenant Leadership.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say, Keyes himself does use standard Marine AI during that last segment, and AI in Halo 1 absolutely hammers on the Needler when they get in combat, so it's entirely possible you're simply having trouble getting Keyes actually into the combat. But if you position yourself poorly, you can honestly get yourself filled with needles, though it can be difficult. I suspect there was some... cooperation between the two of you in your past to get you so consistently shredded by Keyes.

The AI will *attempt* to avoid shooting friendlies, but they don't always succeed - and as I noted previously, the Marines will actually apologize for it when they hit a friendly! Keyes doesn't get any generic combat dialogue though; aside from scripted dialogue, he's mute.

Also, as far as I know, this is the only time in Halo 1 where human NPCs wield Covenant weaponry.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Of note, there are a few locations where the Sergeant you find is set in stone, like in the Halo level, that first Sergeant you find is always Johnson. The other Sergeant is Stacker, and in a few areas, which sergeant you find is randomized between the two of them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Shame you didn't manage to keep Johnson around longer. AI Marines with Sniper Rifles are actual monsters. Last time I played this level, Johnson sniped a Hunter in his weakspot... from the front. On three separate occasions.

Do NOT underestimate those guys.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: On a mechanics level, the rifle fire coming out of the place when you first find it, only to find no marines there? From a mechanics standpoint, the game actually has a floating disembodied assault rifle firing at the retreating covenant that it then despawns.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ablative posted:

Spark recommends you upgrade to a class 12 combat skin, as your current one (the pinnacle of human armour development and probably worth the combined GDP of half the colonies on its own) scans as a class 2.

This quote gets mentioned in the novelization, and in response, Chief just thinks to himself something along the lines of *"Yeah, buddy, you find me something six times stronger than the MJOLNIR Mark V, and I'll be first in line to try it out.

Of course, the big problem here with Guilty Spark boils down to one simple fact: he assumes we already know everything. About the Forerunners, about the Flood, about all the procedures and what Halo is... he assumes we know all this already, and probably assumes the Covenant know, too.

We don't. We don't know poo poo. Chief could probably have avoided a few problems if someone sat Guilty Spark down and went "Hey. I don't know what you think we know about you, this facility, anything that's been kept here, or the people who made this place, but assume we don't know anything. Because we don't. No one left us a history book on this place or its creators, we're figuring all this poo poo out the hard way."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I actually went back and read that part of the book just to see what they say, and it's kind of two things. For one, they don't really have time. From the time 343 Guilty Spark teleports him to the Library to the time they get the Index, they're under constant assault from the Flood, and Spark keeps telling the Chief that they need to hurry. The second, more interesting explanation is that the Chief is actually intentionally playing along with it. Guilty Spark clearly has his own ideas who the Chief is, and if he were to correct him, Spark might stop helping.

I mean, I get that realistically, there was never a chance to sit him down like that. I just mean, if there had been a chance to stop and sit him down for a second to explain that much, a lot of problems probably could honestly have been avoided.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Regarding the comments made about just chilling while the Flood and Covenant fight each other, last time I played, I ended up having to do just that.

In one of the halls on this level (I think it's the hall at around 18:30 in this newest video), I ran into some Covenant fighting some Flood. That Rocket Launcher Flood was there, and any time I tried to jump into the fight, I would get blasted by the rocket. Eventually, I took the hint (after narrowly dodging ANOTHER rocket), and just sat around the corner and let them duke it out.

Eventually, I heard one of the Elites laugh - the same sort of laugh you can occasionally hear after they kill you, and figured "Okay, Elites won, let's go" and went on my way.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact about that helmet tease - if you hack the camera to be able to see inside the ship during that scene, his helmet doesn't actually come off. It just puts an extra helmet in his hands to put next to him, and the actual model, since it was never meant to be shown like that, just keeps the helmet as per normal since the cutscene camera can't see his head when it happens anyway.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ablative posted:

Also there are a lot of guys with that character model, so even if it was they could just say it wasn't actually Johnson.

This is true - remember, the "Canon" Sergeant Johnson went with Keyes on his mission to where we first meet The Flood. We meet more marines, complete with a Johnson-model/voice Sergeant *after* we know that mission was launched, in Assault on the Control Room. Though I can't remember if that one's set to be Johnson, or if it's one of the couple of instances where the Sergeant's identity is randomized between Johnson and Stacker. I think it's set to Johnson.

Fact is, we meet more than two marine Sergeants over the course of the game, but there are only two Marine Sergeant 'characters' in the game, just like there are a set number of Marine 'personalities'. Mendoza, Bisenti, Jenkins, Chips Dubbo... I swear to god I remember there being more than 4 non-sergeant marine voices, but I can only remember the four.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Two things I just want to note some appreciation for:

First, the title of that initial section: "They'll regret that too" after Johnson mocking Regret's name/message, and then getting shot down.

Second, that little tapping sound when Cortana's telling Chief to wake up, as if she's tapping on your visor, despite the fact that she is in fact an AI that is plugged into your armor.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
By the way, one thing I will note. As the Scarab passes over your head during that "Marine, did I give you permission to bitch?" segment, the Sergeant there is supposed to have two more lines of dialogue.

He didn't in the video, because he got loving murdered by the tower-thing the Scarab knocks over as it passes overhead. It is very possible and all too easy to get killed by this thing yourself, because it is a large object, and it gets knocked aside at alarming speeds.

In my recent screwing around with this level, I find that whether you or him or both get smacked by that tower is a bit of a crapshoot.

The two missing lines in question:

1) As the thing knocks over said tower, assuming it doesn't kill the Sergeant: "That thing is really starting to PISS ME OFF!"

2) And then immediately afterward, over the radio as everyone's moving to chase down the Scarab: "Marines, time to kill us a Scarab."

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 9, 2021

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Arbiter is the exact same as the Chief except with camo instead of a flashlight. And he was the Fleet Commander of all the Covenant forces at Halo. Even with a lead-from-the-front mentality, I don't think the Fleet Commanders get out on the battlefield very much.

I will note, Thel'Vadamee (The Arbiter's name, if we had been going for the Terminals we would have heard it already) is noted to frequently take the field personally, despite being the Fleet Commander.

He COULD be the one wrestling with Johnson in the Legendary End-scene, but that scene's not exactly canon anyway.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Hold up, can the Infection Forms raise dead humans and elites in this game? I thought they could only raise fallen Flood Combat Forms in 2, and didn't gain the ability to use other corpses until 3.

As for why the Sentinels are here helping the Heretics, in short, the Heretic Leader is in contact with Guilty Spark; he's been curiously asking GS about Halo's true purpose. And Guilty Spark is all too happy to oblige in providing this information. Guilty Spark doesn't really know their stance on firing Halo; that or he assumes they would if it was still intact. And while he's happily engaging with the Heretics, the Sentinels will fight alongside them.

The reason the Sentinels in general have been hostile to the Covenant is that they're intruders. They breached Halo's defenses and dug too greedily and too deep looking for "holy artifacts" upon the "Holy Ring", and released the Flood. Guilty Spark repeatedly refers to them as Interlopers and Meddlers. The Prophets want to "Light the Holy Rings", but for the wrong reason. They just see it as the secret to a Religious Ascendance, when in truth it's just galactic extermination.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Or Supreme Commander or Starcraft etc. It's a very standard sci-fi thing: Earth unites under an authoritarian government, starts to colonize other worlds, the colonies begin to rebel.

Halo presents a common version of that where the civil war is halted by the discover of genocidal aliens.

To be fair to Starcraft, it wasn't so much "the colonies rebel", as much as "by the time Earth's Government showed up to say 'hey, we're taking over' after leaving them to fend for themselves for a few hundred years, they had already established a government of their own that was less than inclined to immediately submit to these... invaders."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think the clear implication is that the man simply snapped under the horror and pressure and went murderously paranoid.

Trying to convince him that "no, I'm not infected"? Sounds like something an infected person would say! No choice, gotta kill them! It's better this way! They won't get me!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think the whole point was that the plan from the start was to fire the ring before it was ready, blowing it up and destroying it, the Ark, and everything left on it - THAT'S what would kill the Flood, not the Ring's proper firing sequence.

It just didn't work, is all.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So far I've heard all of one other person's opinion, and he spewed a bunch of poo poo that I don't know whether to believe or not. Stuff that's either making assumptions, exaggerating wildly, or something, or maybe he's right and it's not a great show.

Let's just say I'm hoping he was just making stuff up, because if he was telling the truth, it spells BAD things for people who are hoping for it to stick to lore, even if they don't stick to the details of the games.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jet Jaguar posted:

I am finally caught up to all of this. I've never played any of the Halo games but I'm loving the heck out this series.

I played a lot of Marathon and Myth—one of my first real jobs we'd play Myth after work while traffic was a mess, then spend as much time watching our replays as we did actually playing the game.

There was mention of terminals at one point? I assume none of them have Leela or Durandal in them, but one can hope...

The Master Chief Collection added Terminals spread hidden around the games that would play extra little lore snippets and videos if you found and interacted with them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

I wonder if that really was the game deciding you weren't MACing enough.

Realistically, I suspect that the objective was merely to take out certain specific buildings in the base, and once those were all gone, the cutscene takes out the rest.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Gotta love clearing a mission in an RTS by spamming the Meme Unit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Personally, I assume that "Too much information" from Forge wasn't "brain too small, no give thinky thoughts pls", that was him going "OH GOD THAT'S HORRIFYING WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THIS WHEN I AM DOWN HERE FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE AGAINST THESE THINGS??? :gonk:"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Jorge and his minigun are unironically wonderful to have along.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Kat, let's be honest. We Lost the moment their response to the Supercarrier going down was to warp in a fleet half the size of the drat planet. Everything after that point is stalling and getting anything and everything you can offworld.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Outpost22 posted:

You guys weren't joking when you said Master Chief was lucky. That's his actual canonical super power: good luck

Didn't Cortana literally explicitly state this in Halo 3, and that it was one of the reasons she chose him?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Samovar posted:

At the risk of sounding like 'Boy, I hope someone got fired for THAT blunder'... wasn't Cortana able to be moved around in a piece of hardware that could be slotted into a SPARTAN helmet in the first game, not some giant, clunky hand-held thingy-ma-bob?

If you look, I believe the "chip" holding Cortana is actually inside the container she hands to Six.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

CzarChasm posted:

Have you played Halo before? If not, $10 is pretty good to play 6 good to great games. I bought it a few years ago on sale, but not that cheap.

This is a strong point of consideration; you are getting six full games for only $10. It's a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have started Halo 4 in the MCC, but I didn't get far before my brain's wandering hyperfixation dragged me elsewhere, and I do not remember what happens in what I've done, or how far I got. So, I'll have some vague deja vu once we get started into that, but I certainly won't know what's going on! Excited for it, and excited for the Special Episode.