Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Saint Freak posted:

Bearer of the Mech
Seek larger, more powerful cores
Seek the Nine Breaker, that is the only way
Lest this land swallow you whole

I really don't care for the ludicrous concept of mechs, but I'd BearSeekSeekLest the poo poo out of this one nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

There is a an ancient proverb that states that videogames cannot be art. But what if they could be? What if you made a game so steeped in art that it was not only the goal, but also the journey, the tools and the community around it? Enter Occupy White Walls.

That looks awesome. I know what I'm wasting my Friday evening on!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'll just add that in addition to the whole farming sim thing, Farming Simulator, of all games, has developed a competitive e-sports scene. Yes, you read that well. It started with modders making a team-based competitive mode, where two teams of 3 play on copies of the same map (but only see the score/multipliers of the other team) and compete over 15 (or 20, or more, not sure) minutes to rack in the biggest score. Teams score by putting bales of hay in the barn, and then there are twists, such as:
- there is a first bale bonus based on how early you put in your first bale.
- the barn has the ground level door and the upstairs door reached by dropping bales a bit more carefully on the conveyor belt. The upstairs door gets more points per bale.
- by dumping grain in in your storage, you don't score points, but you increase a score multiplier for the hay bales and speed up your conveyor bales, making it worth coordinating the grain dumping and the bale scoring.
- by scoring bales, you reduce the other team's grain multiplier, making it worth tracking the other team's score/multiplier and keeping some bales near the barn for emergency multiplier dunking.
- teams get to deny a few options before gear (tractors, combine harvesters...) selection, then selection is done simultaneously by one player from each team at a time, allowing teams to adapt to current enemy selection.
- there are a number of valuable additions (trailers, harvesters...) on the map on special pads. Whoever gets to it first claims the vehicle and more importantly, denies it to the other team (the vehicle disappears on the other team's map).
- there are occasional air drops with special bonuses.
- the map has farm and fields connected by a series of bridges which one can raise/lower all at once, except they don't all start in the same position. This leads to hilarious bridge flipping and guess-denial at times. Also, with the game's physics, to tractors jumping over a raising bridge, or getting stuck at the top of one until a teammate lowers it.
- the last few seconds of a match may be super tense as the last few bales slowly climb on the travelator, leading some players to attempt a climb of the travelator with their tractor so they can score that extra bale and tip the score.

And it goes further, as the mode became so stupidly popular in its niche that the company behind the game went on to make it an official league, with competing international teams sponsored by the farm equipment manufacturers themselves. Yes you read that well. There are teams of nerds officially competing in team pvp in Farming Simulator, while wearing John Deere or Corteva sports jerseys. And it's actually hilariously awesome.

League site: https://fsl.giants-software.com/
Twitch page when the league is on: https://twitch.tv/giantssoftware
Some random highlights of a past league: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7etimjT5BY
A video showcasing the rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58NYQ0_cT-8

Of all games, this is one of the last I'd have expected to develop a competitive scene, but it works incredibly well, matches are interesting, the ghost visualisation of the other team in spectator mode is great, and the combination of premise and janky physics just add to the hilarious enjoyment.