Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

*driving around cs_blingedoutcars while someone plays a house remix of leekspin over in game voice*

*plays raffi - banana phone over ingame voice*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
online gaming is dogshit today

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
no community servers anymore and no admin tools. all bad temporal match-made aws servers at best; peer2peer match-making sessions at worst. no more mod tools or custom maps (which has lead to the collapse of hobbyist map maker -> pro map maker which has led to all mfps games having horrible levels these days). all pvp games are like some stupid battle royale meme poo poo or trying to immediately chase and force the ~6v6 eSPORTs~ dragon instead of letting it organically develop. dice is terribad.

at least we still have good co-op games like deep rock galactic and new l4d3 is promising though the alpha had a lot of problems.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

force the ~6v6 eSPORTs~ dragon instead of letting it organically develop.

you have no idea how much 6v6 dogged the TF2 competitive scene

here you have a game with all of these classes, but nah, let's have two soldiers, two scouts, a demoman, and a medic

oddly enough, it turns out people didn't want to watch or participate with that poo poo, so it faltered

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah it's really really dumb. tf2 ezsports maybe could have worked as 8v8 at a min but never at 6v6. some games that instantly shot themselves in the foot trying to immediately be da esportz hot game de jour right from the getgo have included Evolve, lawbreakers, batteborn, and heroes of the storm god awfully tried to shoehorn esports in so bad dumping millions and it failing biggo time. lawbreakers was a really funny one but there's been a dime-a-dozen BR-esportz~ flops and CS-wannabe poo poo too. idk if valorant flopped yet

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:48 on Jan 15, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Valorant chugs along, but I never hear about it; at least Apex is fun because it's Titanfall slapped onto a BR

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Couldn't play online games in the 90's or early 2000's because my parents weren't willing to buy a computer that was more powerful than a potato so I could play games.

Eve online was fun with goons for a while. They would give you free ships and I would blow myself up in them and I was happy to die in battle because it was something to do. Otherwise Eve was a boring-rear end game which was more fun to read about than play.

smarxist posted:

online gaming is dogshit today

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i lost all my instant messaging info including my icq number a few computer upgrades ago. either i forgot to copy the info over or didn't care enough

anyway the best multiplayer games were enemy territory and battlefield vietnam

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
DOTA? gently caress that poo poo! Footmen frenzy!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

kingcobweb posted:

DOTA? gently caress that poo poo! Footmen frenzy!!!

*jaods u with mask of death rush*

*everyone stalls and buys wand of massdeath and makes a killing on the very first footman engagement by turning a bazillion units into money*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im too young for tribes 2 but tribes ascend came out in like 2011 or 2012, which was the later half of high school for me, and for most of that i lived in the middle of my poo poo rural town and had cable internet so i'd get off the bus and immediately start serving blue plates to n00blords online.

but yeah speaking of modern fps, most of thme have good ideas but its just horribly hampered by trying to chase fortnite, or like valorant/overwatch/newer CoD games, they just have no loving clue how to design maps so they're either really boring or incredibly unbalanced (sometimes, both!). meanwhile look at almost any Insurgency map and even the weak ones feel like they had 200x the work put into it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
gently caress hi-rez for loving up tribes ascend and killing it to chase mobas with SMITE or w/e. Seriously what the gently caress is up with hi-rez

it kinda helps that iirc insurgency came largely out of a big hobbyist/modding community as opposed to straight out of some pro corporate lord megaoffice paying jimmy the intern to poo poo out exactly 3 maps and ship it out the door in 3 months. that said im not a real big fan of ArmA-type gameplay type poo poo. usually prefer faster movement stuff like tribes/ns/tfc-2/savage games/etc.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

gently caress hi-rez for loving up tribes ascend and killing it to chase mobas with SMITE or w/e.

it kinda helps that iirc insurgency came largely out of a big hobbyist/modding community as opposed to straight out of some pro corporate lord megaoffice paying jimmy the intern to poo poo out exactly 3 maps and ship it out the door in 3 months. that said im not a real big fan of ArmA-type gameplay type poo poo. usually prefer faster movement stuff like tribes/ns/tfc-2/savage games/etc.

ive been playing this br called speallbreak which i can't honestly recommend because it lags like poo poo when it gets busy, but the reason thats a problem is cuz it actually has a lot of vertical movement and speed. otoh it doesn't have anything hitscan so its really hard to punish people for just endlessly running away from you, and they absolutely will

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Huh this is neat, apparently some nerds have taken basically Tribes now that hi-rez killed it and parred it down focusing more on core gameplay on stuff (hopefullyt) without p2w hi-rez bloaty junk. of course they can't legally call it tribes. although being f2p is worrisome because f2p usually means TRASH

looks like it comes out in a month or so. I should keep an eye on that
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1231210/Midair_Community_Edition/

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

oh god, they're really going at it again with Midair? that game was dead on arrival the first time around, but I guess it'd be nice if it works out this time around

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
oh didn't know it was the second time around. first time seeing it. Seems like maybe more work was done with it this time around? who knows. the competition/multiplayer team shooter scene is absolutely dire right now and i get the feeling there's a lot of players out there who aren't into any of the current offerings. or maybe that's just projection on my part which i'm perfectly willing to accept being the lone wolf out of touch with society

tbf it's really hard for indie/small devs to get multiplayer team shooters off the ground, even if they're pretty good. it's just hard to get a critical mass of players going and most importantly, sustained longer-term because usually you get one injection at launch and that's mostly it without the AAAA budget to advertise and Name Brand behind it where everyone gleefully drops $80 buckaroos each time there's an new cod/battlefield/mega billions in blizzard money-name even if it's trash (like BF5). that said some smaller stuff like squad/hell let loose/post-scriptum seem to have taken off well enough in recent years so maybe there's hope this time

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:04 on Jan 15, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look, there's not a single loving game out there replicating the game with the world's best movement, tribes. i don't care if its low-quality indie garbage, i'm playing it. do you have any idea how much i savored the short lived MP of cod advanced warfare.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

60 player tribes 2 servers were a goofy mess but also pure fuckin magic, everything i miss about dedicated servers

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Its kinda sad because it's never been easier or cheaper to spin up a server or vps.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah dedicated servers used to be kinda pricy requiring donations to stay afloat, but now with the glut and abundance of mega-cheap :yaycloud: hosting and everything it'd be great. It's unbelievable that some games are still somehow peer2peer (lol vermintide 2 thanks fatshark). Plus somehow anti-cheat has actually regressed and lol some games don't even bother other than some token worthless stuff and of course no AAAA corp's money is spent even paying interns $7.25/hr to review reports. BF5 required you to use origin overlay, then be logged into the webpage, then using the overlay to go like 3-4 menus deep to find a tiny obscure report button which required opening chrome, and then just enterered the void.

it was funny that 4 year old BF1 hacks could be loaded directly into BF5 right at launch, not even designed for it in mind, and still work completely. unbelievable

Larry Parrish posted:

do you have any idea how much i savored the short lived MP of cod advanced warfare.
wait what happened? i thought that one lasted awhile. i haven't kept up with them though.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Jan 15, 2021

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UYbQIsAtlnY

it’s not too late to expel the activision kulaks and make esports what it was always meant to be—subjectively judged artistic expression via physics engine; havok gymnastics

a better world is possible

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Is 36338256 a valid icq #?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Just came to me whilst pissing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

Just came to me whilst pissing

i dont think so https://icq.im/36338256/en

you can try to do an number recovery or something.

mine is long attached to lost @pacbell or @earthlink email tho im sure. maybe i had a hotmail briefly at some point but man ive long forgot what it even would be. probably something stupid like bearnova69x

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Smythe posted:

Is 36338256 a valid icq #?

that's my mom's phone number :/

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Xaris posted:

*jaods u with mask of death rush*

*everyone stalls and buys wand of massdeath and makes a killing on the very first footman engagement by turning a bazillion units into money*

oh wow you remember way more of that game than i do lmao

only unit name i remember is Avalanche, which i wrote a guide about countering when i was like 12 years old

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

that's my mom's phone number :/

oh no wonder i know it too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

kingcobweb posted:

oh wow you remember way more of that game than i do lmao

only unit name i remember is Avalanche, which i wrote a guide about countering when i was like 12 years old
thats actually the sum of my knowledge. i just remember trolling noobs with jaood going invis and facetanking with lifesteal and then if they TP rush their base and kill them

also that there was about a bazillion hacked footman frenzy 4.7.1b versions out there where there was always a cheat in there for p1 or something. honestly it was a pretty bad custom because basically whoever fed first ended up making that team the winner, and usually first in gets sandwiched and feeds the rest. or everyone knows that and stalls and then you just buy that one OP wand that killed all the trash units and made a killing super upgrading your hero and dominating. but sometimes could be fun.

My memory is getting hazy these days and knowledge is always just frustratingly-tantalizing at the tip of brain behind a layer of dense fog like a dark soul bosses and i'm stuck behind it but i know it's there and it gives me a mini-headache trying to scratch futilely at the wall like the chick from yellow wallpaper

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

no community servers anymore and no admin tools. all bad temporal match-made aws servers at best; peer2peer match-making sessions at worst.

we laughed at mw2. whose laughing now

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they turned SA-MP into GTA5 which has gotta be the most dogshit transformation of a good game ive ever seen. terrible. top to bottom

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I still use IRC

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
thank you Smythe for this fine thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

yeah dedicated servers used to be kinda pricy requiring donations to stay afloat, but now with the glut and abundance of mega-cheap :yaycloud: hosting and everything it'd be great. It's unbelievable that some games are still somehow peer2peer (lol vermintide 2 thanks fatshark). Plus somehow anti-cheat has actually regressed and lol some games don't even bother other than some token worthless stuff and of course no AAAA corp's money is spent even paying interns $7.25/hr to review reports. BF5 required you to use origin overlay, then be logged into the webpage, then using the overlay to go like 3-4 menus deep to find a tiny obscure report button which required opening chrome, and then just enterered the void.

it was funny that 4 year old BF1 hacks could be loaded directly into BF5 right at launch, not even designed for it in mind, and still work completely. unbelievable

wait what happened? i thought that one lasted awhile. i haven't kept up with them though.

it died in like 6 months on pc

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Digiwizzard posted:

thank you Smythe for this fine thread

thank you for participating

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Victory Position posted:

some real power here: saving consecutive BMPs to make a GIF ftw

I mained bigfoot i think. gently caress those flying saucers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

footman frenzy has nothing on zergling blood

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

net work error posted:

I still use IRC

:same: but my irc daemon is called discord for some reason

mIRC has really come a long way. its got all these fancy features now like sharing images in-channel, voice cat, sassy gifs, and direct pipe to the nsa database in st george uta

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Victory Position posted:

WC3 TDs were the best, Skibi's owned, Gem TD owned

it's too bad Blizzard had to put in that rider claiming ownership to any UMS map made in Reforged

have they patched reforged to be better or is it still a sin against god

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Lady Militant posted:

have they patched reforged to be better or is it still a sin against god

as far as i understand, it's still a sin against god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
war3 map makers who didn't protect their maps were pretty dumb. it happened first with AoS epic, which was way more popular than OG dota for a while, until some idiot decided he could do better and made a ripoff that was extremely bad and the genie was out of the bottle and battle.net was flooded with bad versions with OP heroes or cheats for the host or both. eul was smart enough to protect dota and didn't have this problem, so a lot of people migrated to it and the rest is history