Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Victory Position posted:

not like I've done the same thing myself :shepface:

i failed out of college tbe first time arund to smoke weed, drink, party and game. not so bad. live your life, everyone has their own path. :cheersdoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

i failed out of college tbe first time arund to smoke weed, drink, party and game. not so bad. live your life, everyone has their own path. :cheersdoge:

sucks, but I'll be back! eventually... not like it matters... not like I want to do that poo poo lol

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Victory Position posted:

sucks, but I'll be back! eventually... not like it matters... not like I want to do that poo poo lol

I can tell you the other side of a 4 year degree is going to mostly be temp work unless you know someone

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fluoride Jones posted:

I can tell you the other side of a 4 year degree is going to mostly be temp work unless you know someone

it's why I'm happy with a forklift, rather than writing up weird garbage about Kamala's dress jacket

in a way, I have found bliss, even if I am impoverished

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJhF0L7pfo8

Thread needs some ambience

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a dumb lesson I can say is: be nice to people. everyone has it lovely. like, really. it loving sucks. just lifting the load on someone by being the slightest nice would be something to them, whether they notice or not.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Smythe posted:

this was always one of my fav cinematics from sc1. so sick. obvciously cribbed from alien? yes? film scholars? (i went to film school)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7pifjPrBqI

I've always wondered how difficult it was making 3d scenes like this for SC or like, Babylon 5, back in the day compared to present times.

lmao. also :sigh:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Goon Boots posted:

lmao. also :sigh:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i say swears online posted:

in starcraft in like '99 I rode the wave of omg so r4nd0m and changed my bnet name to RancidMonkey

i was evilwaffle or something stupid like that in wc3

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I logged into my icq account a few months ago because uo went free to play and I logged in there and had it in one of my characters paperdolls

Found out a friend died that way

Smythe posted:

tell me the first 2 bars of this song doesnt give u chills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1gC3BLq2w

if u say it doesnt and also played this gamne, ur a liar.

the chest would open, ur client would lag as gently caress with the animation, and then wow. you were entering sosaria. the greatest place on earth.

this is a direct dopamine injection and it always will be until the day I die, the character creation music went hard too

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i wish i still had my old geocities website where I posted all my screen shots, I pretended to be a cool looter like ....galad? I don't remember.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I managed to dig out my old razor files from uog hybrid and have a number of recordings and screenshots from them, maybe I'll post them later

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i was digging into an emergency back up file i keep on my google drive in case i have to suddenly crush my computer and don't want to lose some things that i keep or like to have on my computer, and it had a zip file stashed called "EMERGENCY_DIALUP" and its some loving collection of poo poo i used to use to grift free dialup from all those netzero and juno services that emerged at the end of the dialup era lol

great for fast 56k with no advertisements and free! can also be input into a sega dreamcast for free online play :allears:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
speaking of great character creation music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7vWiaxw7Y

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is your icq number 1 maybe OP?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bump

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
It's in your SA profile in the ICQ number slot you idiot

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i wish i still had my old geocities website where I posted all my screen shots, I pretended to be a cool looter like ....galad? I don't remember.

i think about teenage me's photobucket account from time to time

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I don't like to remember my past. Online or otherwise. Much too painful. One memory comes back up to the surface and suddenly there are so many more.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bedpan posted:

I don't like to remember my past. Online or otherwise. Much too painful. One memory comes back up to the surface and suddenly there are so many more.

I still remember my poor bunker placement in my very first starcraft ladder game in 1998

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i have my old tripod account and it has poo poo from 2000-2003 uploaded on it lol

i made it because i got a screenshot of a game of TFC 2fort where i went like 93 and 4 as a sniper and i wanted to upload it

still have it :smug:

bedpan posted:

hello fellow traveler

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lRXqZSfYRA

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my first hardcore progression raiding guild for WoWBC still has its DKPsystem website up, the owner has maintained it kinda as a shrine to good times, and every once in a while someone stumbles in and posts and it's cool, i like how the internet can still maintain these types of connections for as long as people want to :unsmith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

me and like five other people post on an ezboard spinoff of a final fantasy fan club board from 1999

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1vGBt3E8jo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
back in the day we did 2 things, drill and klaw. we drillin and klawin basically. ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcLIt3HfMY

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
for a hot minute on this game i was the richest man in the game. and ill tellyou what, it felt good to grape fools with 20 lvls on me. in this game you could murk a guy in less than 1 second. very pleasing to me. iof you played xenimus, and moreso if you rolled a darkwar, well, hit me up. if you're a girl, pms are open.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
^_^

Smythe has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Feb 3, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
>_>

Smythe has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Feb 3, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i have vivid memories of my first gbs photoshop thread going down in flames lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my desire to not be publicly owned made me not start a thread for years

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
a buddy and i would play hardcore diablo2 and make somewhat low level characters that were deceptively hard to kill for high level bowazons (every rear end in a top hat in hc had a high level bowazon they would threaten you with) and sometimes even kill them before they realize they couldn't actually PK us

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i cut my online gaming teeth with hardcore PK text MUDs, like the most toxic of the toxic, it was all stoned CS majors in the late 90's who listened to black metal and probably lived in europe and either burned a church down themselves or knew someone who had running around in full loot text RPGs being insane assholes and me at like 15

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

i cut my online gaming teeth with hardcore PK text MUDs, like the most toxic of the toxic, it was all stoned CS majors in the late 90's who listened to black metal and probably lived in europe and either burned a church down themselves or knew someone who had running around in full loot text RPGs being insane assholes and me at like 15

lol i played fairly simplified MUDs compared to the nutso ones. my main one is still being updated apparently, i think this goony-rear end artwork is new

my mom is a huge nerd and was on a middle earth themed MUSH

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there are a fair few still going, but looking at mudconnect.com these days is sad, because i remember when it had thousands of active listings, it's down to 600 with maybe only half having any regular pop, and only the top 10 having a real community

for years after my favorite game went down (and between its attempted resurrections) i'd get the bug to build areas and head over to the staffing board and find some upstart project or even sometimes an established one and build a few areas for it before moseying down the road

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

but looking at mudconnect.com these days is sad
43 Voregotten Realm

quote:

for years after my favorite game went down (and between its attempted resurrections) i'd get the bug to build areas and head over to the staffing board and find some upstart project or even sometimes an established one and build a few areas for it before moseying down the road

wow that's kinda heartwarming and bleak at the same time

edit lmao my old MUD is #608, probably thriving

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Feb 3, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I got into Path of Exile because I love freakin' isometric action RPGs and NUMBERS!!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

there are a fair few still going, but looking at mudconnect.com these days is sad, because i remember when it had thousands of active listings, it's down to 600 with maybe only half having any regular pop, and only the top 10 having a real community

its kind of impressive that there's collectively more than 100 people playing at any given time

i have to figure its old later gen-x greybeard SuSe linux-gnome users from russia playing on an old eeepc powered by solar panel and nicad batteries or something mostly left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You know what I miss from the early '00's? Diablo 2.

Like D2 was the perfect online game, you could just dip in and out and hack up some monsters and then do it all over again. Diablo 3 just sucks.