Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

You know what I miss from the early '00's? Diablo 2.

Like D2 was the perfect online game, you could just dip in and out and hack up some monsters and then do it all over again. Diablo 3 just sucks.

https://www.projectdiablo2.com/

here u go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:prepop:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I put 3 hours into a new character on legendMUD last night lol. still fun

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
._.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

did you try the number 7, op?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

can i get a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iCPIUGnHQ8

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

did you try the number 7, op?

didnt work =/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
got home from an insanely long week at work. i took my desktop speakers to work to test some bullshit since theyre passive bare wire speakers and i had some cabling that wasn't working so i wanted to test against known good speakers. anywyas, im sitting here at my computer looking out the window, i got the downtown skyline out there, reclined deep in my chair and thought about what the gently caress i was going to do for a few minutes to unwind. posting not working so good since it's a tire fire in qcs and i guss im supposed to janitor it but i have 9999 posts to read and dont want to gently caress around in there. anyways.

since i only got headphnes i made an unusual choice and put on some music, i hit random on foobar2k and and old album, girl talk - feed the animal came on, from when i was a lot yuonger. anywyas, its a pretty hype album so i started thinking about what to game to bro. what to loving own some poo poo to you know. wanna feel it.

what do i got installed, sc2, nah, i only play that sober with no music. dota nah, too long and mmr. valorant? nah i suck poo poo at that and get owned, too old. poe woulda been fun but i dont got that insalled right now. then it hit me, what i really wanted to do play was play tfc, but not in my current body, i wanted to play it back in time, when i was good.

tfc, fast, fun, low stakes, total freedom of movement. remember how that felt. absolutely in control over the game. Run outa that spawn, throw the excess shells, turn around and rocket jump over the middle of well. prime a nade and combo it with a rocket to instagib someone 500 feet away. nail nade in the engy bay. frames dont matter, absolute "court view" where you instinctually know where everyone is on the map. crowbar to a sniper. spraypaint hentai on their body. soldier turns to look at the camera, winks, hops up and rocket jumps into the distance. thats you bro. that was all of us man. do you remember what it felt like to be really good. do you remember. tap tab to see if you're still 20 up on #2. flag carrier? pretty easy to mid air.

did someone say mid air? *feint sound of a spinfuser in the distance*

until next time.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

do you remember what it felt like to be really good. do you remember. tap tab to see if you're still 20 up on #2. flag carrier? pretty easy to mid air.

:smith:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
19 year old me was a halflife death match godling

i had every weapon fast bound around my movement keys, I could bunnyhop to 212% movement speed or w/e the stupid cap eventually was lmao, I could cover the entire map in 7 jumps, knew where every single spawn was, could kit up to fight in 15 seconds after spawning

the gauss gun/shotgun/crossbow triptych in HLDM was the greatest rolling death combo in any game ever, if you didn't direct vaporize them, the particle cone out the wall would get them, and if that didn't get them, you were already double barrel blasting them, and if that didn't finish them, before your gun even finsihed kicking, the next frame you had a cross bow, the next it was zoomed in, the third it was putting a bolt into their chest

siiiiiiiigh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
we are all old and dying and need our Metamucil and trackball mice now for rsi

the noob tube is the light

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

we are all old and dying and need our Metamucil and trackball mice now for rsi

the noob tube is the light

it is

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
when I went to college our internet was loving dogshit so I got really good at extremely laggy sniping, I would go like 20-3 in 2fort with a 600-900 ping, it must have been just as annoying and stupid on the opponent’s end as it was on mine.

also UO fuckin ruled, I was a GM bowyer and got rich as hell being a trammie selling weapons to every PK guild on the server

my buddy was a tamer and one floor of my tower had a ton of polar bears and drakes in it, every once in a while someone would gently caress up a piece of furniture and a drake would run around killing people

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

new PoE season starts next month anyway, Divine Ire was fun, maybe better luck next time though

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

also I remember successfully pirating Left 4 Dead 2 and playing like three games of it over my friend's Hamachi before it stopped working from a week 1 patch lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I’m so nostalgic for uo but man it’s funny how like the core gameplay stuff is not fun, just clicking on poo poo and waiting for stuff to happen (unless you do pvp) but I did so much of it anyway

just taking 3 minutes to kill a deer with my 40 archery because I started with 33 archery 33 tailoring and 33 tracking to play a ranger lmao

I had so much fun though, my little 14 inch monitor seemed larger than life

in college I taught my gf (Now wife) to play on a free shard, maybe ipy2 or angel island, and she trained my dude up to gm tamer while I was doing study abroad so that we could tame dragons together when I got back

idk why I miss that stupid game so much, lol

there was something really magical to me about no one knowing wtf they were doing and it being almost everyone’s first mmo, and like all the stupid skills just in there for immersion like taste id and forensic

I miss that feeling of wonder from that game but it was probably just from being 12 mostly too

I thought maybe getting VR would give me a similar feeling as far as something totally new but it didn’t, I used it for a few days and haven’t messed with it much again

I’m an old dead-inside rear end adult now

1734060 btw

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stefan Prodan posted:

I miss that feeling of wonder from that game but it was probably just from being 12 mostly too

:same:

Never played UO, but as a 40 year old man, The internet came into being at just about the right time for me. I got to have that sense of wonder, when I was 13, at this wonderful and wild place where, in the rare occasions that both my brother and parents were gone, you could find boobs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah why did I use my oculus for like a week and then put it in the closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
prob the closest feeling I ever got to the original UO feeling again was when I played Morrowind as a 17 year old in my college apartment on the projector I had just got so I was just like playing on this giant screen and the game felt so larger than life when you first get into it, I had no idea what the rules were or how anything worked, I think that's a big part of what makes stuff like that feel special, the feeling of having no idea how deep the water is

like now I know UO is not that deep although as smythe posted about it's still fun to play for the interpersonal drama and stuff, I think I was even on that shard with him