Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tminz posted:

Micro (.02/.05) 6max Zone on Ignition (Can't download hand history for some reason)

Stacks:
Button (Me) - 300bb - 3
UTG+1 - 350bb
BB - 100bb

Hero - 2h,2d

Preflop:
UTG+1 raises to 15
Hero - call
BB - call

Flop:
2c,9c,5c

UTG+1 bets 45
Hero calls
BB raises to 2.35

UTG+1 shoves for 15.00

Hero...

Not gonna give a guy credit for a turn squeeze with air at the penny/nickel level unless he's already shown himself to be clearly a drunken aggrodonk. Best case you're in a race, but most likely one of those two guys (BB already squeeze and is yet to act on the reshove!) has you crushed. Easy fold.

I hate the flop call with bottom set on a monotone flop unless you have a read that BB is a super passive fish that you want to keep around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

300bb deep at the penny/nickel level my button call range is any two cards.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the rake killing you is a good point on why you want to play a tighter range, but you should be playing far more hands on the button than up front, and the deeper stacks get the truer that is.

The really unusual thing about the hand that was posted was being 300bb deep, everything is far far different with super deep stacks than with the typical online stacks of 50-100bb. Even at microstakes I hate the idea of getting 300bb in on bottom set on a drawy board.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't want to be unkind, but if you can't handle the occasional river suckout when you got your One Dollar in good against a gigafish at the penny-ante level, poker just might not be the game for you.

FWIW I think your attempts at soul-reading a penny-ante gigafish based on 13 hands are pretty insane. He's just clicking buttons with any two cards, I mean look at how this hand turned out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Calling turn makes no sense if you're going to fold river in this spot IMO. After donkbetting flop and overbetting turn you can't expect he's going to shut down on the river.

I feel like in the moment I would probably make the call and then probably hate myself for it afterward. But the turn overbet is where your stack off or fold decision lies.

It's been more than a decade since I regularly played the penny stakes, but back then this villain line would have been a snap call vs. a pennystakes rando with a big stack. Huge chance he'll turn out to be a drunken aggrodonk. I don't know how those games play today.

In general triple-calling off your stack is a deadly bad habit though, unless you have good reason to believe you're in against an aggrodonk.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 6, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ilmucche posted:

What is a "donk bet"

Leading out on the flop without initiative. i.e. you're out of position but just called preflop, and instead of checking to the preflop raiser on the flop you bet.

So called because it is more popular among bad players than good players.

Stefan: Sure, but I stand by my evaluation that in this particular spot, after he overbets turn you either believe him or don't, in this hand against this 2NL rando the river will change nothing. There's such a thing as following the book too closely and you don't exactly see a lot of leveling wars at 2NL.

e: in the old days I definitely had a donkbetting range, it would tilt the hell out of a good number of the bog standard 2p2 type regulars in the online midstakes games.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Donking is definitely more of a metagame play. The situations in which it's the technically correct play are very rare.

Needless to say there is not much metagame in online penny stakes so it is nigh-invariably just a bad player making a bad play in in those games.

edit: it's probably worth mentioning that being out of position and without initiative in raised pots is a bad situation to begin with, and you really should only find yourself there with like pocket pairs or high suited connectors from the blinds, where at small stakes you can play ABC fit or fold.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 8, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's a super standard line for a lot of players with ace-king and small effective stacks.

That said it's a pretty marginal spot either way with nines unless you know Villain is loose enough to make this play with ace-queen/king-queen type hands. Against a more standard 3bet range you're always either racing ace-king or crushed by an overpair. But making too regular a habit of folding this spot is probably exploitable. Like, if you put him on ace-king or less pre (which obviously you do because why else would you call the 3bet out of position with stacks too small to make setmining worthwhile?) then the board changes nothing and you don't make the preflop call unless you intend to call him all the way down on this board.

FWIW when I'm Villain in this spot I put Hero on a middle pair every time and absent specific reads wouldn't even c-bet this board with ace-king, I'd assume Hero has an overpair and will go to the felt with it. Maybe that's a leak I dunno.

e: by the way, what are the stakes? It kinda matters how good or bad the average player is if we have no reads at all. If this is cheeseburger stakes you're gleefully taking those nines to the felt every time, but up at $1/$2 it's more nuanced.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 10, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

First, this is a live game so you should have some reads on how the preflop raiser plays, especially since he's two to your left and thus usually has position on you. (The other two are irrelevant unless one of them is a drunk aggrodonk or something.)

Also, stack sizes are super important! I assume it's ~100BB for all that follows but if you're shallow or super deep that changes things a lot.

This hand does demonstrate why being out of position sucks so much, even if you get into the pot super cheap with your rags. You flop top two on a super dry board, very nearly the nuts, and you don't know what to do.

Check-raising is best. If the preflop raiser has an overpair you'll make some money off him either way, if he has ace-queen or etc. he won't call your donkbet but he might c-bet if checked to. There are some situations, specific to reads on the aggressor in this hand, where I might like a donkbet into him (i.e. if he's likely to give you no credit and raise with nothing but overcards). But the default most profitable play is to check-raise. If you check-raise and he shoves (if stack sizes are big enough that your c-r isn't itself a shove) that's a call but pretty pukey, he has an overpair more often than a set but your two pair is prone to getting counterfeited by the board pairing elsewhere.

I assume since you posted this hand that it got checked through and someone binked the turn, but tl;dr check-raise is right absent specific reads. There's also the issue that when you donkbet people who are thinking are likely to put you on pretty much exactly what you have, so if you're going to make that play with the near-nuts you also need to occasionally make it with air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You've got to raise on the flop or else you're offering BTN a great price to tag along with a draw. At 2NL unknown idiots can be donkbetting with anything so you've got to feel good getting your short stack in on TPTK.

Normally I would approve of the ol' click-it-back minraise to encourage him to shove over you with air or a beaten one pair, but with $1.60 stacks I don't think it matters much. Honestly this hand demonstrates how the cheeseburger stakes can teach you bad habits and if you want to become a better player you should move up to at least like 30NL or whatever as soon as you can afford to