Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The FBI says it's this

Michael Walzer says

some jerk you probably haven't heard of posted:

It’s not hard to recognize; we can safely avoid postmodernist arguments about knowledge and truth. Terrorism is the deliberate killing of innocent people, at random, in order to spread fear through a whole population and force the hand of its political leaders. But this is a definition that best fits the terrorism of a national liberation movement (the Irish Republican Army, the Algerian National Liberation Front [F.L.N.], the Palestine Liberation Organization, the Basque Separatist Movement, and so on). There is also state terrorism, commonly used by authoritarian and totalitarian governments against their own people, to spread fear and make political opposition impossible: the Argentine “disappearances” are a useful example. And, finally, there is war terrorism: the effort to kill civilians in such large numbers that their government is forced to surrender. Hiroshima seems to me the classic case. The common element is the targeting of people who are, in both military and political senses, noncombatants: not soldiers, not public officials, just ordinary people. And they aren’t killed incidentally in the course of actions aimed elsewhere; they are killed intentionally.

I don’t accept the notion that “one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.” […] In the 1960s, when someone from the F.L.N. put a bomb in a cafe where French teenagers gathered to flirt and dance and called himself a freedom fighter, only fools were fooled. There were a lot of fools back then, and back then — in the ’60s and ’70s — was when the culture of excuse and apology was born.

I think it's worth discussing because it's obviously a politically charged word used frequently to identify people we do or do not like, but it's used inconsistently for political effect. In the wake of 1/6 the chuds who tried to do idiot revolution were called terrorists... were they though?

Please refrain from discussion about lemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The pope's doctor had covid when he died, but he didn't die from it. He died of blood loss because he shot himself with the pope's gun. Pretty sure that's not terrorism, but the details are still emerging

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
terrorism is stored in the balls

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Muppets On PCP posted:

terrorism is stored in the balls
you can't taze away terrorism op

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

terrorism is when your enemy does it

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

It just means muslims hth
Edit: in america at least

Populon has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Jan 12, 2021

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

comedy is when a man falls balls first on his taser and dies

terrorism is when the fascist mods of qcs give me a sixer for "unhelpful posting"

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
this thread counts, op

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dolphin posted:

one brave man proved you wrong

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Dolphin posted:

Not with that loving attitude you can't

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

terrorism is people i don't like doing things i don't like with zero, absolutely zero panache

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
ask your mom

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Terrorism is 7 day bans for runnin taint

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

planting A for cat, make sure you watch long

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

bedpan posted:

close thread

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
if they had successfully held the capitol and reinstated the proper god-emperor of mankind, donald j trump, to president of these united states they would be patriots and everyone ELSE would be terrorists

really makes u think

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

hey boy, you know what all the cool kids are doing these days *opens trenchcoat to reveal bomb vest*

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
this article doesn't try to define terrorism, but it explains the legal definitions that people are throwing around, if you want more pedantic distinctions

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2021/01/08/a-civilian-s-guide-to-insurrection-legalese

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t know what’s a terrorism with you?

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

whats the deal with lemons

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Terrorism is what the American government has done every day since its inception.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Buck Wildman posted:

hey boy, you know what all the cool kids are doing these days *opens trenchcoat to reveal bomb vest*

Hey, wait a minute! Those are hot dogs! Armour Hot Dogs!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjUmULa0R-8

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

you crying op? ill fucken give you something to cry about!!! - terrorism imo

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
A miserable pile of secrets

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Buck Turgidson posted:

Hey, wait a minute! Those are hot dogs! Armour Hot Dogs!

my kingdom for a trustworthy dealer

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
your posts, op

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Electrocuting your dick and balls inside a government building

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hodgepodge posted:

your posts, op

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

SorePotato posted:

Electrocuting your dick and balls inside a government building

I happen to live in a civilized country where the government provides me with genital electrocution facilities.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

god the response to that was beyond fuckin stupid

"it has electronic lights, it must be a bomb"

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

bedpan posted:

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacemang_spliff posted:

A miserable pile of secrets

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

Terrorism is what the American government has done every day since its inception.

anything else ITT is a lie

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Wolverine is right (they reconcile later in the comic)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Everyone is wearing underwear in that comic

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
You don't?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jun 22, 2023
class warfare