Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Platystemon posted:

quote:

The Intel hack

We talked on Friday about how Intel Corp. had to release its quarterly earnings early—roughly 12 minutes early—because someone had hacked into its computer systems and gotten an early look at an infographic containing its main earnings results. But that was perhaps overstating it. Intel, it turns out, was not really hacked. What happened was simpler and dumber. Intel puts its earnings releases up on its own website using predictable file names. Byrne Hobart explains:

quote:

Intel had an infographic for their Q3 earnings, in a file that ended with "Q3_2020_Infographic.pdf" and had a URL with a sequential numbering scheme. Q4’s earnings presentation had the same file naming scheme, so it was easy to guess.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-01-25/the-game-never-stops

i randomly came across this post and it made me curious about some of the points brought up in this thread. based on what folks were saying, i'm assuming that guessing the url for something that is technically publicly accessible, but not intended for public viewing meets the legal definition of hacking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU