Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
Anglican. Canadian. Priest.

I did some of my training in the United States so my bad posts can keep up with US religion chat on occasion, but I mostly just lurk and wait for someone to post about liturgy or the Anglican Communion to post.

Full disclosure, I own a silly hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Worthleast posted:

I would like to see the hat.

Bit blurry, but that's what you get when trying to take pictures of silly hats, I guess.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Don’t lie, you made it blurry so we couldn’t critique your reading habits.

My old pastor (who baptized my now Buddhist sister by the wrong name) wore that hat for a special service but it was way too small so half-way through his prayers he ripped it off, threw it to the ground, and revealed this throbbing red line across his forehead. I felt bad for him but it was pretty hilarious.

My favourite biretta story has to do with a friend of mine whose cathedral was having issues with small bits of plaster falling from the ceiling due to construction and renvotation work related to the foundation having shifted. Think of it more like paint chips flecking off. Anyhow, he wore his biretta for an entire mass and told the people to think of it as a liturgical hard hat.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

ProperGanderPusher posted:

We're already a couple pages in, but here's my reintro. I've been around since the original liturgigoon megathread. I was raised atheist, spent a few years in Rome (in a radtrad bubble) in my early adult years, and finally became Orthodox about eleven years ago. I mostly lurk around these parts since like a few other posters I lean heavily traditional and conservative and I'm careful about when to reveal my power level.

I'm mostly here for the church pix and fun historic fact chat.

zonohedron posted:

Sometimes I don't contribute to a conversation because I'm generally-speaking socially conservative, but not because I think the thread will tar and feather me, more because, generally speaking, I figure nobody wants to hear "well sure you all think this and do that, but the Church teaches such-and-such" unprompted. It's not noteworthy, funny, or helpful.

Among the things I appreciate about the thread: I don't have to qualify what I mean by "Catholic Church" most of the time. (I have posted places where I needed to explicitly disclaim that I meant the worldwide organization in full, unimpaired communion with the Pope, because otherwise if I said "the Catholic Church does not ordain women," people would point out that the Anglicans did and the Anglicans thought they were part of the Catholic Church so how dare I &c. &c.)

I'm in the same spot, in that if someone really wants to know what "I" think about an issue, they can look it up in the Book of Common Prayer/St. Augustine or the Catechism of the Catholic Church/St. Thomas (for 99% of things, and see the BCP for the odd things that differ). Most folks here, at least going back to the first and following iterations of this thread, weren't particularly interested in that. I suppose it might be that in more recent iterations of the thread there is a wider audience.

White Coke posted:

I'd also like to hear more conservative peoples' opinions on matters of theology out of curiosities sake, but I know that for some people there are opinions that given even a chance to be heard are very hurtful and alienating so I don't know how free ranging such discussions could be.

Not one he's likely to forget I'd imagine.

Because traditional teachings of the Church (or a particular tradition within it) are generally easily obtainable from official documents, it has been less important to really spell it out. There are also a lot of folks in this thread who disagree with Sts. Thomas and Augustine (and not just Eastern Orthodox!!) and particularly disagree on matters related to self-identity and can take it somewhat poorly when you articulate those things, so I just kinda stopped.

Honestly what it comes down to, and I know I've said this in previous iterations of this thread, I get into theological debates within my diocesan structures and within the national church where the consequences are significant to the diocese/church, and I mostly read this thread to relax, not argue even more. If people were actually very curious about some element of Church teaching, I might be willing to talk about it, but I'd be far more interested in the minutiae of silly hats, when to put them on and when to take them off (liturgics), Anglican church history, English spirituality, and the ascetical tradition more broadly.

Speaking of silly hats:

A few bishops, a few saints, and an American senator wearing what one can only assume are sarum style pontifical gauntlets.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'll admit, I haven't been following the thread lately- but I just saw this again and thought I'd share it with you all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=locW-9S00VU

I'm not Orthodox, but wow! This always gives me chills.

Reminded me of one of my favourite Eastern pieces on YouTube (apart from my local OCA's livestreams of Great Vespers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14yPV2fIJjQ

Which leads to another famous Tallis piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI5Y9l2NHIo

and finally, something topical, this is from the parish of Great S. Bart's in London, and is a musical setting of the Book of Common Prayer's Prayer in time of common sickness or plague which was removed from a lot of modern prayer books, but in Canada, we luckily had a Prayer Book authorized in 1918 in the midst of the Spanish Flu and it was preserved there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELT3NTkYZ0w&t=3s

Apparently I'm a dork that just likes to sing in church a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Depends on the monk. This monastery’s primary apostate (thing they do as a service and pay for the monastery) is education, so we have a lot of teachers, administrators, and campus ministers. A lot of the priests help at local parishes. Some of the monks are students. All meals are made by employees of the monastery, not monks. Cleaning is split, they do have some hired employees but the monks take turns doing the cleaning. Monks also take turns leading prayer and doing the readings therein.

Reminds me of my seminary which was rooted in the Benedictine Rule.

We had a small cleaning staff, grounds, and cook, but students and faculty were responsible for dishes and bussing tables in the refectory, as well as cleaning and maintaining the common areas of campus as well as assisting in outdoor grounds work. All on a rota for work crews. Daily mass and the offices, along with the Angelus morning, noon, and night.

Brings back very fond memories. I'm quite excited for you! It was a wonderful formation for me, and I'm practically envious of those called to the religious life (I am a secular priest). Be assured of my prayers!