Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Hi Religion Thread. Long time agnostic here who has recently had a kind of religious awakening on a very personal level. I expressed interest in my local Episcopal church and have a meeting with the Reverend there tomorrow, as he wanted to meet me. I am going to attend my first regular service on Sunday.

I come from a mish mashy background of southern Pentacostals (no snakes) some of which became Baptists but none of whom were really super church-going. Never baptized, but I believe I do want this.

Anyone who can give me some guidance or ideas of what to expect? I chose this church not only because of proximity but because the Episcopals seem to have the same sense of justice that I do and are supportive of LGBTQ people as well as the fact that I think liturgical ceremony is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Thank you for the responses, I am aware of the communion rules and to this point in my life I have avoided doing it in services I have attended anyway, knowing that I am unbaptized. As said in the thread, I don't feel it right to do so. I have read that in the Episcopal church that becoming baptized, though, requires finding a sponsor, and in his brief email to me asking if I would be interested in having a further conversation in person or over the phone, the priest did mention to me that deciding if baptism is right for me is something done best in the community, much as anything else, since no one is Christian alone. A sentiment I appreciate.

Azathoth posted:

That's awesome! I hope you have a good conversation with the priest, Episcopalians are super cool, especially if you like "high church" liturgy.

As for what to expect, the priest is going to ask about your faith journey. It's not going to be a sales pitch, if you're concerned about that. Ok well maybe a little bit but the whole idea is that they want to make sure that you and the community are on the same page. They'll talk about what it means to be Christian in general and Episcopalian specifically because they want you joining to be a good experience and that you don't expect something from them that they can't deliver and vice versa.

The priest will also talk with you about what they can do to help you grow in your faith. So I'm sure they'll talk with you about how adult baptism works and about new member education. I can't speak to Episcopalians specifically but generally there's a small amount of prep for a baptism, basically making sure that you understand what is happening and what you're saying. Baptisms, especially adult baptisms, are some of the most joyous services a church can hold, so don't be nervous, the whole idea behind it is that it's not something you're doing on your own. It's a communal event where the congregation stands up and offers to help you.

No one is going to expect you to have everything figured out, or even anything figured out about your beliefs. As long as you like what they're saying, are willing to learn, and want to be a part of what they're doing, they'll be more than happy to teach you. The hallmark of a good church is that they're happy to answer questions, so don't be afraid to ask things. Everyone starts somewhere!

I appreciate this as well, and something I intend to let him know if I can is that while my initial message may have sounded kind of jumpy, that I am generally a person who approaches everything with dedication and an open mind to what I don't know. I know that if it is my wish to be a Christian that I must learn to be one. I am excited though. I haven't talked about this with anyone in my family because faith to me is something I feel is kind of private, and I also wanted to follow my own path on this rather than get a lot of "Well you should try MY church out."

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

All of those things are cool, I am down with lace and smoke and I have always loved funny hats.

My own journey so far really isn't that crazy. I was brought up basically without any real Bible study aside from Sunday school and my grandma telling me lots as a kid that "God will snatch the breath out of you." to make me behave. He didn't, so I guess I was good?

In my teenage and early twenties years I raged against religion but still found solace in a kind of...vague spirituality? This year I started meditating, and that was an interesting thing to start doing that actually helped me center myself a lot. I started reconnecting with people and getting out in the world once again, and found that I liked having love in my life from others. Meditation taught me that there's a central me inside that is separate from a lot of the other drama and stuff I get myself caught up in worrying about.

But my experiences recently involved a lot of personal loss in my life after a period of a kind of malaise, and recently while meditating during some grief I felt a very odd sensation of comfort, serenity, and boundless love. It wasn't the serenity I'd felt with that "central me" I usually felt with meditation, it was very obviously something else. I feel like this story gets told a lot by people, but it's what brought me back to thinking about the Holy Spirit. It might sound silly, but I feel oddly clear headed about it without feeling like I'm desperately trying to believe in something, which is how I think I felt a lot of religious people might feel when I was younger and rebelling against everything and everyone regardless.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

You ain't kidding. Same for me.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just curious here, are yall talking about baptism in an Episcopal church specifically?

I remember being a little weird about communion when I first started going to an Episcopal church, but then the priest said in some really specific ways "all are welcome no matter where you are in your faith journey, this is God's table for everyone, etc," and that was a pretty high church. I think every Episcopal church I've been to has had a fairly direct statement that anyone can partake. I don't think I've ever been asked if I'm officially Episcopalian either. I was baptized Presbyterian and confirmed Methodist fwiw.

OP, my experience is similar to yours and after the first couple times going to an Episcopal church, I feel comfortable just dropping into one anywhere I go. They've all been extremely welcoming to some random guy showing up, never overboard with questions, just hey, come on in and be part of this to whatever degree you want. I don't really socialize at church and find I'm consistently left alone when I just sit quietly, or chatted with if I want.

I did have lunch with the reverend today and it was a good conversation, but as far as communion you are right, his take was that I could do it, or choose not to and it was totally based on what I am comfortable with. I have, up to now, never really taken it knowing that I am not baptized, and I believe I will continue to do as such until I am.

He is very welcoming and explained to me what I will need to do if my choice is to get baptized eventually, and that it will require a little bit of sideline bible study with him since parents are asked to do the same before baptizing their baby. He also said community is a big deal and that all of these decisions are best made in the community among the people who show up, and I agree with that. I let him know that this is not just a religious experience for me but an educational one and that I am aware and interested in that.

Overall I feel pretty good about it, and am still pretty stoked to meet people and learn.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I'd be happy to try and document mine, as much as I can, as it happens.

I am sure it will be a months long process as there are only certain major holy days he said that they are even done on, and I believe the next one is far too soon (this Sunday, which is All Saint's Day). The next one after that, I believe, is the first Sunday after Epiphany.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Well today was my first Churchin' at my local Episcopal church, and it was a really interesting day to be a first. Not only is it the All Saint's Sunday, but also there was a brunch gathering in the adjacent room for the whole congregation afterward celebrating the Reverend's 10 year anniversary at this particular church.

The liturgy is something I really like, and when communion came I crossed my arms to receive a blessing rather than taking it, and was glad to do that. I found myself just kind of reading the hymns rather than singing because I don't really know any of them, so that's another thing for me to learn.

Meeting the rest of the community was a lot of fun, and whoever earlier said I would be doted upon by old church ladies was right on the money. I also got to sit with this cool older guy named Bob who has been going to this church for over 20 years and he gave me like a historical rundown of the building and all the additions throughout the years, and the programs they have run, and how they coped with the pandemic. He and his friend Dennis were really cool and fun to talk to. There were so many people today since it was a big event day that I didn't get a chance to meet everyone but even those I only had a few words with were really hopeful to see me around again so we could chat more. I'm looking forward to that. I even got one lady who wants me in choir because of my "radio voice."

I was pretty nervous going into this but I have to say after all is said and done I'm really happy with my choice, and with the community I've chosen.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Bob owns, and I can't wait to see him again. He unfortunately won't be around next week because he's traveling to Cleveland to see his granddaughter.

The homily had a guest speaker actually, a woman from another church. It was pretty good, she quoted Obama and talked about Voodoo and connected it to using God as an icon to follow, and also talked about motorcycle riding in New Hampshire.

I kind of had to grit my teeth because my extremely conservative, sorta racist, crazy aunt decided to come to this too because I put my cousin (her daughter's) name into the list of names to read off for the All Saint's prayer. I think she might come back, interestingly enough. She's always been more of a fire/brimstone angry southern type, but she seemed to like this place. She didn't even make a comment at the realization that the Reverend is a trans man, which happened during his wife's speech for his anniversary lunch.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Me too. It was nice to see her get out and talk to people, she's usually pretty reclusive. It's funny and kind of weird how it panned out, because I started reaching out to this church last week after I had my experience. And I put my cousin's name in on Tuesday, and had already had a lunch scheduled with the Reverend.

Then during lunch I told him about my cousin dying, and described the circumstances, and he was like "Wait is your aunt this person?" And I said yeah, and he said "It's so weird, she came in yesterday and asked to use the sanctuary to pray, so I let her in, then I talked to her for an hour or two because she looked like she needed it. She asked me to put your cousin's name in the prayer and I went to my records after and it was already in."

So, weirdly enough, my aunt who had no idea I had already contacted this church with an interest to figure out how to get involved and join, just ended up there randomly. I figured I'd get away with this whole thing without uttering a word about it to my family but after that I couldn't just not say anything.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

There were a handful, maybe. I would say there was probably only 3-5 that were anywhere in the 5 year either above or below me (36). And also, most people told me that today was a high attendance day and that on a typical Sunday it's fewer. There were likely around 50-60 people there today, but it was a big Christian holiday and the Reverend's anniversary.

One child, seemingly there with his grandparents. Most everyone else was 55+ and had been attending this or other churches for greater than 20 years.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I'm not sure, but she was pretty into the idea.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

If y'all think you're gonna make me a priest you got another thing comin

Also congrats! I am lookin' forward to gettin' dipped.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

sinnesloeschen posted:

WELCOME FRIEND

i have been very grateful for your journey in particular but srsly i dont think i would have lasted the discernment process without this thread so thanks gently caress you and god bless

e: just fyi there are on average seven openings for any one priest within the ECUSA

Thank you, I'm glad that you're making progress on your path in the church.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

"And they lived happily ever after, except the apostles."

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

My aunt ended up not able to make it to Churchin' 2 today. So I went alone and it was a much small crowd since it wasn't All Saints etc, but it was cool. One of the church ladies insisted I come sit over with her crew. Neat aside, today was our church Saint day, St. Martin. Got to learn about him and his incredibly awesome story.

Ended up sitting and chatting with people for a really long time after, and everyone is super nice and want me to bring my guitar in (????). I find myself looking forward to this every week. Everyone is so absurdly kind.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I have come to tell more of the saga of Bob.

Last week at church I was talking to Bob and his wife, who survived cancer and has a bald spot on her head still so she wears a cap all the time. I mentioned that she'd look good in a flat cap, and she said she thought maybe so. I mentioned I used to have one from Ireland and I loved it but I lost it.

This week Bob and his wife show up both wearing their own flat caps from Ireland and he had an extra one in his pocket that was too big for him and he gave it to me. It's an awesome hat.

Then he asked me to sit with him in the back so he could teach me how to record the service on the iPad for Facebook in case he ever wasn't there to be able to do it, and where to plug it in in the service room at the side of the church after so it could be uploaded by the rector.

Bob is the poo poo. Church owns.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

So I've been approaching reading scripture in a particular kind of way and I just want to bounce it off what others think here. I am starting with the gospels, and have gotten through Matthew now. My intention is to treat this a lot like I would anything as a student, which is to do a clean read of the text and then bounce it off reference material and conversations with the rector at my church.

So having read Matthew, formed my own ideas about it, the next step is to cruise over to the Oxford study bible and read their introductory lessons and notes about it, as well as some of their introductory essays as well.

Something that really strikes me so far is that while there is this popular idea of Christ as a kind of listless hippy, he comes off very often as a pretty intense dude, who is kind and charitable with individuals but utterly ruthless with institutions. I really enjoyed particularly two things: his refusal to give a demonstration of power to the priests. He hasn't had problems previously with displaying his power at all, when asked by those who are suffering and sick. But when asked by someone who just wants it because without a vulgar display of power they would be unwilling to let go of any of their own authority he just outright refuses.

The other thing that stuck out to me is how he chastises Peter when he complains after he reveals that he will die and be resurrected for the first time. There's this constant feeling in the text that while he is trying to teach people, he's operating on a different wavelength and has a second strand of thought he's dealing with, and this is the first time I feel like he really reveals that he's not just thinking in human terms, as Peter was. But that he's focused on the divine as well. It was an interesting tidbit in the text because it clarifies a little bit as to why he has such trouble getting his point across even to his own disciples sometimes, since the divine element is beyond human (and their) comprehension.

I'm excited to read the others. I have also been reading the daily offices because it seems like an interesting way to get tidbits of scripture that sometimes actually illuminates what I have already been reading, but sometimes just leaves me going "Hm, I have no context for this :v: "

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Azathoth posted:

That episode from Star Trek: Lower Decks with the Pakled and their increasingly larger authority hats was a coded reference to schismatic churches.

Jesus was definitely not afraid to tell people they were loving up and what they should do (repent), and then there's the whole incident in which he may or may not have beat some people for doing bad poo poo in the Temple. The Gospels aren't explicit about it, but from a narrative perspective, I suspect that it was that incident that led to him getting got. He also, contrary to what a lot of Christians of all stripes say, cared a shitload about what happens on Earth, both to people and to the world, and the whitewashing of that out of modern Christianity is a huge issue.

As for how you are reading the Bible, I think that's a good approach and a good bible. Something to note, the NRSV translation folks just released an updated translation of the NRSV called the NRSVUE (New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition) and study bibles for that are just starting to come out, so that might be something to keep an eye on.

There's a lot of little changes, most you probably won't notice but little changes can make a big difference, for example, take Galatians 3:22:

The difference is taking the footnote translation from the older version for the main text in the new version, the previous main text becoming a footnote, so it's not a new translation, but there's some interesting theological implications there for whether one translates "in" or "of" there.

I'll keep an eye out for that. Once I finished Matthew I went over the chapter notes in the Oxford bible (the study bible I own is digital, the actual bible I've been reading is a giftshop NRSV faux leather blue bible because I just like chilling on the couch and reading my book). They did have some interesting notes about the Temple incident, specifically that it seems like the table he flipped over when he went there was basically the currency exchange table since they only allowed the local currency to be traded within the Temple, and not Roman money.

Something definitely didn't sit right with him seeing money and goods being traded there.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I get the feeling that if you misgendered Jesus, he'd forgive you for it.

I think this week I am going to talk to the reverend at my church about committing to getting baptized eventually, and asking if he'd recommend a sponsor or if I should just ask one of the people I've gotten close with at church.

Kinda nervous to ask though, since I've only been coming for a month.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Well someone's gotta do it (I hope it's Bob).

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

My aunt will likely attend, she has been coming to the same church on and off. My mom would probably want to be there. My brother, maybe? But he's not religious. None of my friends are, either. I was thinking that even if it's just me and the community during the baptism, I would have a little thing at my apartment after with family and close friends.

I have a lot of friends who are actively hostile to religion in general, and I haven't really talked about this with any of them just because I don't have the energy for "that talk." It's not really their business, in my opinion, as it's something I'm doing for me and for God. But I cannot express how different I feel compared to just over a month ago. For a long time I'd felt like I was running on fumes. It wasn't depression, I've felt that before. It was just a general emptiness like I was going through the motions of life. I don't feel that way anymore, and haven't for a while now. If you had told me two months ago even that I would in short order become a person who, when bored hanging out on discord with my friends when everyone is silent and doing their own thing, that I'd be just as content to walk away and go sit and read scripture I'd have told you that you were nuts.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

sinnesloeschen posted:

yeah ime its p cool to meet and subsequently hang out with actual followers of jesus

e: lmao i see they got ur rear end. WELCUM FREN

My rear end has been thoroughly gotten. I get hyped for hymns.

Old me would have said that's cringe, and he'd be right, but I accept the cringe. The cringe is become me.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

So far all I have been called to is the holy ipad to record the service for the holy facebook page.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I did get me one of them books of common prayer, which is a fantastic possession. Part of why I chose an Episcopal church is the participation in community, but the choice personally as to how much stuff you want to actually do outside of church. I've found reading at least one daily devotion a day with the daily office scripture readings has been a nice little meditation, and yesterday I chose to do my first Friday fast (which has a double purpose, in that I want to actually change my life in accordance with my choice to pursue God and religion, but also I am still losing weight, sixty pounds last year. So it's a twofer).

What should I expect for advent? It seems like my church does a thing every Thursday night plus the Christmas Eve/Day services. So far all I know is there are special, different hymns. They tried to "train" us in them last Sunday which went over well except for the one where two groups have to sing at two different times.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Ohtori Akio posted:

it is cringe to take up our cross and follow Christ and that is the true martyrdom

"Beware of men, for they will say you're cringe and post about it."

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I'm not versed enough yet to have developed problems with the BCP but I do think it does a pretty okay job at outlining what an ordered Christian life could look like, depending on how you want to go about it. I'm a stickler for organization and habit, though.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I appreciate the shitposting, I don't have many folks to talk to about this stuff outside of church so it is nice to have someone to bounce questions off of. Thank you!

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Today was a fantastic hymn day, I think Crown him with Many Crowns is my favorite hymn I've encountered yet.

Also in other good news; Bob has agreed to be my sponsor for holy baptism.

Gotta meet with the reverend and iron out the other details.

I'm gettin' dipped folks.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

sinnesloeschen posted:

yessssssssssssssssssssss git dat flea dip

u got a date? im figuring easter vigil?

I have no idea. It entirely depends on the conversation I have with my reverend. He had to practice with our choir today so had no time to meet after service, so I had to email him. I know I have to go through a process with him that involves 4-5 classes of some kind. I don't know the details, but I am sure it depends on his schedule. I think the earliest it could possibly be would be the Sunday after Epiphany, which is one of the holy days that is when they do baptisms. But perhaps not until after Easter. I am hoping to figure that out soon.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Yeah I am not sure the nature of it. I guess "class" isn't a word that was actually used, but I kind of assumed that's what it might be?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The website says about it that you might be expected to sit down for a few council session with a priest to talk about the commitment you are making and that you understand it.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

how long until christians truly grapple with all of the many groaner dad-jokes that are found in the red letters

I was reading Acts last night (which was fantastic), and there was this line where Paul makes a very "Yeah, get a load of those guys :smug:" joke when giving a sermon about some or another city.

Also there's a straight up Seinfeld joke in John where Philip tells Nathanael that the Messiah has come out of Nazareth and he's like "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?"

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 28, 2023

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I read Romans yesterday and while I very much enjoyed reading the Gospels and Acts, I don't think yet that I've read anything that struck me right in the heart and soul as much as Romans did. Paul is, first off, a hilarious communicator of ideas and paradoxes (BY NO MEANS!)

But the articulation of the difference between the law and trespasses against it and the way of faith was just incredible. The historical context is interesting, but setting even the divides he was trying to close aside, the book is a fantastic treatise on living through faith and love rather than through only fear and trying to do everything right because those are the rules. It was absolutely beautiful.

I am wondering what others think about the passages about doing anything to make your brothers and sisters "stumble." The way I read this was that everyone is likely to be offended or worried for you and your behavior depending on their own perspective, and regardless of whether we agree with them about a particular thing, we should do what we can to go along and get along. It seemed like what Paul was saying is that even within the Christian faith all of us are going to do things differently, and that only becomes a problem when we either pressure one another to conform, or when we persist in doing something ourselves which is actively harmful to ourselves or others. I could be wrong. But it seemed like a very universalist doctrine.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Paul talks a lot about reconciliation and interpersonal relationships and I'd venture that one could cite proof texts for a wide range of interpretations. My read of it in totality is that Paul places a high value on communal harmony, so in some places Paul takes a very "live and let live" attitude but in other places makes it clear that we're all supposed to check each other and call out bad behavior.

Something that is important to remember, Paul's letters were written specifically to address on-the-ground problems in individual churches. He takes the opportunity to speak universally when it is relevant, but ground your reading of his letters with that reality.

My overall impression of the message is that he's saying folks should have right relationships with each other and how to handle any given is going to depend on the nature of the underlying nature of the conflict. If someone is doing something harmful to the community, call them out, but if it's just something bugging you, suck it up.

This all ties in heavily with his ideas on the New Creation, which is a much bigger idea than just this, but it also encompasses the idea that because we are Christians, we are supposed to behave differently. Bearing in mind that because he was writing to communities where all but the youngest were converts, this idea gets a bit muddied as it gets interpreted by communities where most people are cradle to grave Christians.

Regardless, I think it can generally be interpreted as saying "stop being lovely to each other ffs, call out each other when someone's being lovely, and treat each other with love, kindness, grace, mercy, and respect".

Yeah, and the historical context I mentioned is exactly this. Specifically this letter was written because shortly before this all Jews had been kicked out of Rome, but were eventually let back in. This included Jewish Christians, who when intermingled once again with the gentile Christians had all kinds of arguments with them about what was okay and what wasn't. It's why he talked about food so much. In reality, what was going on what a rift that could be damaging to the Church at large, and he had to patch that up. But in the process you end up with a more encompassing message, which I think you're right about.

Something I have noticed too is that it seems that, in any age, Christianity and the assumed behavior of Christians is very much defined by the actions and behavior of power. And I could see how, in the ancient world, where a lot of religion was quite legalistic (especially in Rome), that the importance of faith instead of law would be incredibly important to Christians at the time.

Liquid Communism posted:

Earnest discussion of the Inquisition touting it as just and merciful for its day, with a side of 'of course it's moral to burn heretics, and the state should be doing it'.

Edit: Go read for yourself, I couldn't make this stuff up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/comments/18525ta/why_dont_we_talk_about_the_inquisition_more/

Ew.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 29, 2023

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I definitely think that's at least half of what he's saying. I think also it's why he spends a lot of time talking about why we should not pass judgment, because God is the one who judges, not us. As such, that means that like you're saying, we have the capacity to pressure others into casting judgment. It's kind of a bear-poking thing, since people are given to being judgmental anyway.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let me be clear here: regardless of my personal feelings on Goddess cults, it's beyond reasonable for Paul to be saying, "Hey, fellow Christians, do not do these things emblematic of Goddess cults." And when the other way to read it is the homophobic way then hell yeah Paul, you go fellow ace, you keep speaking your religious truth. Thrillingly for everyone, while it's not the exact copy as the paper I read a quick Google found a very similar version on the author's personal website. So I am not going to stitch together a giant quote-block post about it but here is a link for people whose attentions prick at titles like that the way mine does :)

https://www.jeramyt.org/papers/paulcybl.html

Paul specifically mentions pagan orgies in Corinthians which I just read too, and within the broader context of the letter, he talks about eating sacrificial food or food left for idols, and he has an interesting take on the acceptability of it. He basically says that you shouldn't eat the sacrificial meat in situations in which it might give other people, non-Christians, the idea that Christians are down with worshipping other deities. But if you are invited for dinner and nobody would misunderstand your eating it for being an idolator, then whatever. It seems to be in keeping with his general idea that being Christian is far more about your relationships with other people, and how you affect their lives, than how pious and obedient you are.

He even mentions that eating with idolators itself isn't bad because as Christians, we don't believe in the idols anyway. They're just pieces of wood. Where it gets weird for Paul is if you are misrepresenting yourself and your faith, and giving other people the wrong idea about you or misleading them. I don't know, this is my first time through, so I am just beginning to get an understanding of what is going on.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

So my church every Thursday night is doing an advent series which is just people gathering to sing through the Holden Evening Prayer and boy that is an incredible series of hymns, and the atmosphere of the church at night really brings the entire atmosphere home. Very much enjoyed that and I am gonna do it every week for the next couple.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I haven't gotten through the wisdom books but the gist I got of them from my reverend was

Proverbs: Here's how to live with wisdom.

Ecclesiastes: But life is random and not everything goes the way you expect.

Job: Here's an example.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

killer crane posted:

My spouse comes from a very fundamentalist family. They'd rather I be an atheist, or any other religion, than being a liberal Christian. They look at other beliefs as of the world, and just regular old sinful and confused, and simply in need of saving... but to them someone who's Christian and doesn't believe like them is spreading false teaching, and leading children away from the true Christ. My beliefs are abhorrent to them.

The funny thing is there's a funny horseshoe pattern to religious belief in much the same way as there is in politics. Hardcore militant atheists and religious fundamentalists both agree quite sternly on one thing: that the only way to actually be religious is to be a fundamentalist who believes quite literally in every religious idea or holy text to the letter, regardless of how anachronistic, immoral, or destructive such a belief and the actions it would drive could be.

What they don't seem to understand is that in any religion, spiritual teaching and philosophy is more often better communicated through allegory, parable, poetry, and song than almost anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

The secret of course is that the religious right is not remotely religious. They are interested in power and control, full stop, and happy to lean on christofascist rhetoric while indulging in absolutely bacchanal levels of vice behind closed doors. A good example being their repeated rhetoric about transgender people and drag performers grooming minors by existing while rarely does a week go by without a GOP politician or donor being arrested for CSAM or sexual abuse of a child.

I am an extremely lay reader since my first scripture read-thru has been over the last month, but this is something that I keep thinking and have written down several times in my notes:

Jesus' biggest problem with the Sadducees and Pharisees was an obsession with maintaining personal power in the case of the former, and obsession with the letter of the law to the exclusion of faith in the case of the latter. Something that strikes me about these two problems is that it smacks of those who use dogma as a bludgeon today. Fundamentalists in power are cynical, and interested in maintaining power. Fundamentalists outside of power are so obsessed with following the letter of the law that they have forgotten how to love their fellow man, and by extension how to love God.