Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I think it was swedenborg that had some idea about hell being basically a place for souls still stuck at 'sin is... Fun and good?' to learn from natural consequences why that's not true, but not meant to be torturous besides those natural consequences? And some souls leave heaven for hell bc heaven just ain't for them yet? That I think is fun to entertain, but that's mostly because if literal fire and brimstone Hell ends up being real then lol @ my atheist rear end

Spacegrass posted:

Does anyone here of the Christian faith believe in Hell? I have seen it; well, at least when I was really suffering.

I am interested in hearing more about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

if posting is hell then hail satan I'mma shitpost for eternity babeyyy

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Forget the sins of the sinner, those who love them can't truly be in Heaven knowing those they loved are in perpetual agony. Even the worst human being who ever lived had somebody who loved them and how can that person be experiencing joy knowing their father or son, mother or daughter, brother or sister, cousin or simple friend. is burning in hellfire?

I'm not a Christian, but I'm curious about this topic - I asked someone (I forget who, a classmate probably) about this idea once and their explanation was that in Heaven people are apart from their worldly attachments including attachment to family, and that since they are with God they now understand and accept and agree with God's ultimate wisdom in sending the person-formerly-their-loved-one to Hell. We only balk at the idea now because we're a bit removed from God in the current world. Is this actually backed up, biblically or otherwise (various Church traditions etc)? Asking the thread not just you

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus freak

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What's interesting to me about this process, from my lovely atheist point of view, is how much individual preference and opinion seems to play into it?

If God is real, then there's a chance that He cares very much about things like robes and hats, and it seems to me like relying on 'what vibes best with me' won't work because in Christianity isn't man supposed to be flawed ("fallen" is the word I've heard used?) and not natively grasp God's idea of what's right?
If you can't stand the way a church runs their worship services, isn't there a chance that it's you who needs to get over himself and learn to worship God the way God wants?
Unless there's biblical support for there being a variety of worship styles. I'm admittedly not well read on this topic at all and I understand my post does not help in the search in any way

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I could be tits out naked and it'd still be on you to see and treat me as the whole person with a complex internal world worthy of respect that I am. Given that, I don't need to communicate poo poo other than 'it's 40C; I'm wearing shorts and a tank'

Hell even if my mission was to purposefully communicate 'hello I am attractive, men and women pay me attention' that wouldn't affect how you ought to treat me

So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get out of the 'should's in some of these posts

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Let's not continue to blame the media. People choose to objectify themselves.

I sincerely do not think anyone starts their day thinking 'today I want to be seen and treated as less than human'.
There are multiple departments at your local university (fashion, economics, history, women's studies) still in lengthy conversation about why people dress the way they do. Writing all that work off as "nah it's 100% on you" seems arrogant to me.

(and even if someone did think that - 'today i want to be seen and treated as less than human' - isn't that, like, really sad? If someone told me they thought that then I'd want to treat them even better to make them feel better)

Jupiter Jazz posted:

In an ideal world, maybe. I may treat you as a person with a kind hand but unless you're mentally ill (of which I might come to the conclusion to if I see you out naked) I would definitely still judge you the way you're judging me right now.

I try not to be a dick in the ask tell religion thread but
Literally what is the point, like just of life in general, other than striving to treat others 'ideally'. Coming out swinging, here of all places, with 'I am absolutely judgemental and have no plans to change that!', I almost respect it on ballsiness alone.
Btw, I am mentally ill, but not the kind you're thinking of. Thanks for the free pass anyway!

E:

Freudian posted:

This leaves us the two options of forcibly uploading all women to digital shells, abandoning the sinful and provocative flesh for a chaste and sterile existence as a computer ghost, or doing our best to address the attitude that women should be made available for the pleasure of men. Neither of these options requires the prescription of dress codes for women, which is just as well, as nobody has yet designed a modesty veil for a server rack.

I just don't wanna emptyquote in a new post

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 14, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Jupiter Jazz posted:

No one said anything about being treated "less than human". This is your own personal supposition and failure.

Everyone has already responded well to everything you've said but I want to pick on this
'objectification' is literally treating someone as an object rather than a whole person
Like that's... What that word means.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i'm glad we can all agree on 'gently caress incel poo poo'

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The only time Ive gotten a chick tract, i was approached directly by a very sweet old woman in the subway station. She didn't seem to do this for anyone else so maybe something about my appearance had her concerned for me?
It was one of the very generic 'did you know? hell exists and you're going!' ones at least, less offensive than some of the others.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Through a hobby group I had contact with a self-proclaimed Nordic Heathen. He went crazy over some silly Easter meme (About appropriating Toyota-thon of all things) and I could tell something was just really off when we "debated" (One thing he kept trying to do was define Christianity as an "Asian" and foreign religion, compared to "Nordic heathenry"). He definitely had the whole "Christians were mean to us" vibe going, while simultaneously talking about how much more manly and powerful heathenry was.

It was... different. I had to block him eventually because the conversation was going nowhere. I do know that sort of butthead is not indicative of all neo-pagan/heathens though. Just my first direct encounter with one.

I met one of these types in university. He had a binder he carried around that he'd hand people who asked about his mjolnir necklace. It started off with 'I am a Nordic heathen and here's why that's not nazi poo poo'. It then proceeded to be full of nazi poo poo. It would be funny if it wasn't sad.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

E: wrong thread by a long shot

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I find the Jesus Movement of the 60s and 70s pretty interesting, though mostly from an aesthetic standpoint I guess. It does seem like a Christianity I might have been convinced of if I were the right age in that time and place, but the requirement of religious belief is still there and I don't know whether that version of me would have any more of that than real me does.

I read a lot of the Joy of Satan website a few years after its launch. I think it was the first time I really dug into an online rabbit hole of its kind. I was young and considering everything with equal weight so I stuck around probably longer than I should have.
I just checked on it, and while I'm not exactly 'glad' it still exists, if it must exist I'm glad it still looks like a 1997 Geocities page.

i guess the church of satan and therefore all modern satanism, theistic and atheistic, counts as an NRM though. So I guess my 'favourite' is the atheistic satanism i half-ironically subscribe to

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dave

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

God bless us everyone

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Any sub with non default css is Threatening

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My friends and I for the past, God, 14 years? Have chosen to go the soviet route and replace Christmas wholesale with New Years and it does feel more significant to me to end the year and start a new one with the people who are important to me and also affirm how they're important to me with a gift. 14 years ago puts us solidly in middle school and while the cast of characters has changed a little I'm extremely grateful for them and this tradition

I also note the solstice bc something about marking the passage of time with the actual relationship between the earth and sun feels right but this is not unique to winter

Christmas is for barely tolerating family and feeling existential dread at the amount of trash capitalism is capable of producing

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 27, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah 'adopt a kid you don't initially want to turn yourself into a better person' seems bad for the kid and also probably me
And the idea that you're being selfish by not adding another human to experience the planets death throes seems... Bizarre, frankly
But I guess what did I expect from the pope

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cripes, something about the phrase 'illegitimate reasons for not having children' gives me the heebie jeebies

E: brings to mind the mental image of like, a judge issuing me to a court order to get pregnant immediately. heebie

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 7, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Liquid Communism posted:

It never ceases to be amusing that they want to have it both ways.

You want abstinence from those who aren't ready for kids? Then don't bitch about them practicing what you preach and opting not to have kids.

It really just comes across as 'how dare you enjoy life', doesn't it?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

Religion thread: Create your own!

Finally its my time to shine

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

D34THROW posted:

Please laugh away, I do when i look back :v: It involved a random found brass hex nut that i based the logo off of, a pair of needlenose pliers, and a lighter that I did vaguely pyromaniac things with even though I was not a smoker.

I called it Aginism and its core tenet was essentially that works alonr would ensure salvation and a place in heaven - basically strike a "positive" balance on the karmic scale and you're golden. It...was a very rough time in my life.

So yes. Giggle your heart out! I dont even have the scar anymore.

I want to let you know I think this story is actually really fun. Especially because that core tenet is I think how a lot of people hope is the way it'll shake out if any kind of salvation is real and necessary. It sounds like you were really close to starting one of those fundraising clubs, with branding I guess

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Captain von Trapp posted:

but what if the answer to...

...ends up being everyone?

I for one am glad I can date women, worship Satan, and not die in the middle of giving birth for the 11th time. I'd say the modern age is working out pretty well for me

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Nowadays everybody knows there are a bajillion different cultures, living and dead, and that knowledge is....disorienting.

I understand you are speaking on a cultural scale but either way, speak for yourself. Personally I love it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Captain von Trapp posted:

That's my point. It's weird by historical standards that you, and me, and indeed most of the people in this thread live materially comfortable and safe lives. I don't believe that history is an arc of progress ever upward, and I don't believe it's headed downward to perdition. But I am worried that there is a mean, and we're far from it, and we may regress to it.

Maybe I can't read but I took your post to be saying 'the current world is working for noone and we should go back' and the vibe in here seemed to be following that vein too

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

White Coke posted:

And pray you’re one of the people who have a soul, and aren’t just a meat robot.

Wait, meat robot is an option??

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I was raised atheist and still am, but to me it seems like if I were religious then fundamentalism would make the most sense. If God is perfect and right and I'm supposedly not and he said you gotta marry your dead brothers wife, then by jove I guess you gotta do it, regardless of what era humanity is in. Like who would I be to decide "actually we're past that". I am only talking about myself of course

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

I always thought it was strange there was some overlap between atheists and fundamentalists in that they often both believe progressive Christians are doing it wrong.

I'm not sure if you were replying to me personally, but I really hope I didn't give the opinion that i think between progressive and fundamentalist Christians, the fundamentalists are more correct. I do not think that, and have more in common politically with the former.

I'm saying if I was convinced of God's existence, I do not think I would want to throw out anything he supposedly wrote. I would be forced to abandon my politics and follow that instead

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

All great questions which I do not have answers for! I kind of figured religious people have some kind of innate sense of what's the correct answer that I just lack.
I suppose it might be coming from my atheism that I feel this way, like, 'surely if God was real and wanted obedience he'd want it to make it as clear as possible how to do what he wants' and some kind of scriptural literalism seems to me like the best way to achieve that, but if we're thinking in religious terms, I'm just a person

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Caufman posted:

Something I've also seen is that an atheist and a believer may have the same concept of what God is, and they differ only in whether that exists. At the same time, it's possible for two believer to have such different notions of God that the difference between them is bigger than the difference between an atheist and a believer. I've found this to be the case especially when thinking of mysticism's notions of God (crudely, that God is in all things, and all things are constitutive of God). So what Killingyouguy! is saying makes sense to me, because I think mysticism is a minority thought among most believers and atheists both. Both are picturing an external deity that broadcasts messages and intervenes in the world, and one believe this deity exists while the other does not. In my own life, I'd describe my early understanding of God from growing up Catholic to have been more similar to my understanding of God when I went through a period of atheism than to my understanding of God today, after having been introduced to contemplative practice.

I am curious about this idea of atheist mysticism

e: if I am not responding to parts of this conversation it is not pride nor ignoring the posts I just assume this thread has seen enough shithead atheists that I'm treading lightly

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 10, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

White Coke posted:

"Meat robot" makes it sound cool, but what some Gnostics thought was that the people they called Hylics weren't really people. They didn't have souls so they were more like animals or automatons. It strikes me as taking the idea common to angsty teens everywhere that anyone who disagrees with you is stupid to its ultimate end.

yes, i would like to sign up to be one please

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

going to hell bc some other guy hosed up one word seems... Wrong, but what do I know

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tias posted:

You're going to heaven because one other guy didn't gently caress up, didn't you? :v:

If a Satanist gets let into heaven someone definitely hosed up somewhere

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

But they'll paint the entrance red and make fires everywhere just to troll the rest of us.

If I am forced to go to heaven y'all know I gotta do this

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I think the language of Buddhism trips me up, and it may be a translation problem, but 'extending love to all beings in samsara' still sounds to me like 'being attached to all beings in samsara'

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

E: nvm

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 17, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

That sounds incredibly frustrating!

But a whole unit on dystopian fiction sounds cool as hell, no pun intended

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i want potluck recipes

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Do unto others as they do unto you:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 bag of the butterscotch Hershey chips
1 bag of mini marshmallows (preferably the multicoloured kind bc they're prettier)

Melt the first 3 ingredients together over low heat, let cool until the mixture won't melt the marshmallows, mix in marshmallows until covered, spread in a casserole and yeet into the fridge until cooled completely. Cut into small squares for the adults and big squares for getting the kids high on sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

For my vegan friends I like to mix cocoa powder and white sugar into a can of coconut milk and run that through my ice cream maker, extremely quick and very reminiscent of a Nanaimo bar. The vegans usually give me bonus points for using fair trade cocoa.

bringing dessert reflects my hedonism and also my vegetarianism, not a lot of meat desserts out there