Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Hello again, religionthread! Progressive lapsed Catholic raised in a family that was half Catholic and half United Methodist, which led to really interesting family holidays sometimes, although we could all agree on the common bonds of hotdish and church basements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Either works, I just tend to use casserole to refer to the baking dish as opposed to the food it contains. :unsmith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I mean we could, but you know it's going to take forty-five minutes and another cup of coffee before anyone can talk themselves around to trying to leave.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

(my dad does an awesome Reuben casserole, all homemade. homemade corned beef, saeurkraut, dill pickles, etc)

Ground beef, sliced potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, carrots, celery, onion, and sour cream was the thing here. With biscuits on top.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

White Coke posted:

I've found that as my politics moved to the left I've become more religious. How was it for you?

Somewhat the opposite for me, but that's trying to reconcile the desire for social justice with the actions and positions of the Catholic Church in the US for you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tias posted:

The medallion is of course, for the fine dogge, yes?

The woman is very catholic, she'll have her own. But think of the dashing figure DevoutDogge will cut zooming around the place with Poor Francis on his collar!

Could also go with St. Christopher, in his dog-headed depiction:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/181212325/st-christopher-patron-saint-of-dogs-and?gpla=1&gao=1&

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

1) You have to have compassion for yourself to an extent, you are not a less worthy person than everyone around you, trust me

2) Guinefort is best boy for cuddles, Christopher is best boy for crossing rivers, Dog be praised.

I'd say Christopher would be your best buddy for walks in general, while Guinefort would be better if you're looking for a companion for your kids.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

No, it colors everything about you. You tend to have very absolutist, unhealthy opinions about almost everything.

This is a pretty solid point.

Despair is easy. Self-hatred can feel really good, but it is empty in the end and it colors everything else in your thoughts.

Something to ask, from a Christian point of view, is this: What authority to you have to condemn anyone, even yourself?

Self-hatred is not humility, it is pride telling you that you know better than anyone else how you should be viewed, and that you should hold yourself to standards you would not hold anyone else to.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Glutes Are Great posted:

My main area as a student was metaphysics and epistemology, after I started working for the university I was kinda forced to swap over to focus on philosophy of mind and epistemology, which I still do now. We research and write about the question of knowledge and beliefs, perception and reality in conjunction with existence or the lack there of, mostly while violently fighting against the tendency to evaluate normative questions behind it. :sun:
I did do a very interesting course in Christian, Jewish and Islamic concepts of knowledge and opinion uhh i think two years ago now, too, so that's fitting! It circled around the question whether God was the one giving or allowing you knowledge, the ability to learn and collect knowledge or, in contrast to that, the human mind being free in its quest of doing either of those and whether any of those questions moved you in any direction with your faith as a whole.

Now that right there? That sounds like a fascinating question to argue in the face of omnipotence/omniscience/omnibenevolence.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

The predestination stuff got me thinking in the shower, so here's a question in general: Can God change the past?

God is generally held to be in a sense external to time as we experience it, so it should all be the same to Him, but the question may also be meaningless if "past" and "future" are merely projections of the intellect and not actual realities. In this case it would be like "can God create a whole number between 4 and 5," to which I imagine the answer is more "that's not a meaningful ask" rather than "No, you have found God's weakness."

ulmont posted:

I have seen this response before, and I find it unconvincing in the context of a sufficiently powerful God.

I'd say God is inherently outside of causality, if you believe in omnipotence.

Of course then we're right back to the Problem of Evil.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, it reads as kicking the can down the road to me as well. I don't personally find it a very compelling argument, given the existence of evil that occurs to those who are blameless, such as children abused by clergy (moral evil), or afflicted with crippling degenerative disorders (natural evil).

Active evils can't easily be defined in the terns if absences of good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

White Coke posted:

In the case of moral evils that's the result of human action, so to prevent them from happening is to infringe upon free will. Natural evils being evil raises the question of whether something can be evil without free will. People don't think like supervillains and cackle about how evil they are when they do bad things, but a degenerative disorder is just doing what it does while people have choices they make. If something has no choice in what it does can it be evil, or good?

Given that an omnipotent god could have, without effort, designed a world without a random chance that some children are born to die a slow and cruel death for no reason, I'd say it can absolutely be evil.

Free will goes into another discussion, as it hits on the same points of question as predestination. If an omniscient god knows upon creation who will die in sin and who will be saved (as he must, being omniscient), then what free will can actually exist?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

The answer is that that is allowed to exist for an important reason. God could build a world without that, but he didn't. Why would that be?

The easy reason would be to call God evil. A more sophisticated reason would be that God knows it's really important that we as humans learn to love each other and care for each other. If no bad things can ever happen to other people, then we don't have to care about them and we remain moral infants.

Why our moral development is so important to God is a much more interesting question to me.

I think it is, as mentioned above, a pretty solid reason to consider that an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent creator is not congruent with the observed universe we live in. An omnipotent and omniscient creator can foresee the results of his creation without needing to actually bring it into existence, and as he sets the parameters of existence has no constraint to create imperfectly unless he desires to do so.

I don't think that's a good argument against the existence of God, but I do think it's a good argument that either he lacks the power or knowledge to create perfectly, or restrains himself from doing so. Any two of the three 'Omnis' fit the observable universe better than all three, to my reasoning. Or, of course, that our limited human perception of God is faulty, and the concept of damnation is a thing humans made up to force other humans into social compliance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

When a human authority figure, or organization, claims to speak with the authority of the divine, then is shown to be complicit in mosterous abuse of power, it shakes people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I consider the pomp and circumstance of Catholic ritual to be its greatest strength. I, personally, have known a few agnostics who've full-on converted to Catholicism because of the appeal of the rituals. I think if Catholic leadership leaned into its aesthetic, it could attract a lot of Millennials/ Gen Z who're looking to slot into that spiritual infrastructure.

I don't think that's likely until the Church stops having another round of 'we found more documentation of the abuse clergy was doing that you've been hiding' every six months. That's pretty much the biggest thing young people these days not raised Catholic know about the Church.

Edit: Also, you know, being doctrinally homophobic, transphobic, and opposed to the bodily autonomy of women.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 26, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Speaking personally I ain't gonna lie the rituals and grandeur are a notable reason why I'm building off childhood interaction with Catholicism as an adult. And the fairly cool seeming Pope, and the concept of Catholicism that merges with my politics via liberation theology.

So thanks for the pointer to that church in SF. It's gonna be a bear for me to attend that on the regular but for getting connected to communities that aren't arch-conservative that looks like just what I wanted.

I take the Pope with a grain of salt. He uses the language of social justice, but is doctrinaire, and the hierarchy in the Vatican that interprets his statements into policy is arch conservative to a fault.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I know I'm supposed to believe in hell but I can't really make it work with my conception of God. This may be a defect in me, though, rather than in the teaching. I'm not very orthodox, so to speak.

And yeah if you want to try to describe a religious or transcendent experience, this is a good thread for it, but I can understand if you don't even want to try. The few 'religious experiences' I've had are almost impossible to relate so that they sound like anything.

Nah, it's not just you. I can't reconcile eternal punishement on any level with a benevolent and omnipotent God either.

Just seems unfathomably petty to create humanity with the capacity for evil, not reveal your laws to them universally, and then decide that only the faithful should be spared eternal torment, so I tend to beleive that is probably humans imposing their personal sense of propriety.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

White Coke posted:

It seems like a lot of people who leave Christianity because of growing up in a very oppressive fundamentalist environment still hold on to the belief that their former denomination’s tenets are the truest expression of Christianity, so if they can disprove any single article of faith then all of Christianity, and by extension all religion, is false.

It's deeper than that. Most of those people also come from abusive households.

When your family, the people who raised you, have spent most of your life gaslighting you and intentionally lying to you to give themselves power, then catching anyone else lying to you tends to also break any form of trust you might ever have in them.

It's not a question of 'truest expression', it's 'The people who raised me told me this is True, and lied to me about everything in order to control me. Now I see lies that denomination pushed, how can I trust anyone else's unprovable claims?'

Some people get past it and find faith, often through community. Others don't.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 14, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HopperUK posted:

While I am often exasperated by folk who deny the validly of Vatican II, I can't think this was the best way to stop the growing split from getting worse. I'm sad that this is hurting people.

Yeah. I get the reasoning, a growing (in volume, if not numbers) group of hyperconservative traditionalists still arguing against the validity of Vatican II sixty years down the road is a threat, but there's a lot of room for collateral damage.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That was essentially what the last ~30 years have been.

Pope John Paul II allowed limited use of the Tridentine mass in 1984.

We're at a point now where most of the people who remember the Tridentine Mass as the standard are elderly at best, and the pressure towards it appears to be coming in large part from arch-conservatives harking, as they do, back to a 'better day' when the laity was not involved in the mass except as spectators with an occasional call and response.

To quote Pope Francis from his time as Archbishop of Buenos Aires:

quote:

I always try to understand what’s behind the people who are too young to have lived the pre-conciliar liturgy but who want it. Sometimes I’ve found myself in front of people who are too strict, who have a rigid attitude. And I wonder: How come such a rigidity? Dig, dig, this rigidity always hides something: insecurity, sometimes even more.... Rigidity is defensive. True love is not rigid.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Speaking of the US Bishops, looks like the general secretary of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops just resigned after being apparently outed for using Grindr via cell-phone records.

It is incredibly lovely to out anyone like that, even if they are actively working for an organization that is hostile to LGBT people, and I suspect we're going to see more of it. Isn't widespread surveillance technology's impact on society wonderful?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Actually took longer for Burke to weigh in than I expected. He's very vocal about his opinon on the 'deficiences' of the Ordinary Form, and onging feud with Pope Francis over not being sufficiently conservative.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Captain von Trapp posted:

The second is to admit that our own secular cultural mores are extremely unlikely to be the One True Final End of Moral Progress and we might be the ones in the wrong. Maybe if the bible isn't so keen on something that we consider acceptable or even obligatory, we should be open to the idea that it's us who're mistaken. But of course that assumes that you have correctly interpreted the bible in the first place - plenty of people have gone totally off the rails by reading isolated verses through their own lenses divorced from any holistic framework of theology. (This is why Catholics and Orthodox are so big on tradition and continuity.)

This one and I do not and likely will never get along with some folks over. It is 100% true that our present mores are not perfect and will change over time, hopefully to the better.

It does not follow that regressing by a couple thousand years is the correct answer, though it profits those who had much power in society at that time and wish it again and will argue for it vociferously.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm less referring to a binary, and more to specific regressives who try to justify their position with cherrypicked biblical quotes, honestly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

Well, about that. Has murder been going sharply up in the long term? In the last year, in the US, it has been, but it went down in the 1990s and stayed fairly flat until the last two years. (I cannot speak of other countries meaningfully.) e: and regional trends as well; if you cannot experience or perceive something, in many ways it is not real to your experience.

Is this about actual events, or about the perceptions of those events? And, to also be fair, some of those events can change: if, for instance, there are fewer total murders, but the change comes from 'occasional crimes of passion or property theft' down to 'almost none of those, but periodic spree killings for no reason', there is a quantifiable difference even if there are fewer total people being murdered.

The murder rate in the US is easy to find and has objectively trended downward from a peak in the early 1990s. Violent crime of all sorts is down to just over half of what it was then. The increase in the last year is barely a blip comparatively.

Much like advertising can create desire, misrepresentation and sensationalism in reporting creates an impression that does not line up with the facts to produce a desired response in the public.

After all, more people watch the news and talk about it if you tell them the sky is falling.

That's not to say that things are -good-. There is a ton wrong, and much of it can be laid directly at the feet of the disregard for consequences and desire for monetary profit and social control on the part of the wealthy and powerful.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 25, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ulmont posted:

While by no means the OP on this one, I would suggest that (perspective American):

1. Decline in sense of community (caused by a number of factors including increased presence of minorities but also land use patterns such as suburbs);
2. Corresponding decline in sense of duties owed to the community;
3. Corresponding lack of noblesse oblige in our super wealthy (Carnegie gave away $350 million before 1919, in 1919 or earlier dollars); and
4. Corresponding tendency towards "gently caress you, got mine" approaches towards the poor (those with zero coats, if you will).

And also something about a decline in acceptance of the facts that
(a) other people - call them experts - might know more than you about an issue and be able to provide advice better than your gut instinct; and
(b) the government might have some of these experts.

These probably all boil down into an increase in selfish natures.

The acceptance that last one is complicated in the US by one of our major political parties being openly opposed to the concept of government and engaging in deliberate sabotage of social institutions in the name of accelerationism, while the other talks a good game but is completetly ineffectual and indirectly in the pay of the same monied interests as the first.

It's the same reason the Church faces a crisis of trust; when you openly protect bad actors and seek to avoid justice, you lose the public's trust.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Recent sociological work points out secularization of schools as the biggest factor in secularization of a society. What gets taught is important, what doesn't, gets seen as unimportant.

Anecdotally among my friends in the States, the utter failure of both secular and religious authority to address abuse by clergy is a huge part too. They don't feel safe bringing their kids around.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's absolutely not just the Church.

Just look at the Boy Scouts.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Worthleast posted:

The abuse is obviously awful, but the lack of response only makes it worse. Bishops need to do public penance: bread and water, sackcloth and ashes. Sit on the front steps of the cathedral and ask passerby to forgive you and pray for you.

Cardinal Mister McCarrick finally got a criminal charge and might actually go to jail for abuse of minors and solicitation in the confessional.

I'd settle for cooperating fully with secular authority and the Church making good on their legal obligations rather than let dioceses declare bankruptcy to avoid payment.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Remember Epicurius was speaking of sex in the context of 300BCE Greece, which was vastly more open to promiscuity than the Abrahamic faiths would like.

Even then, as I dimly recall it, his take was 'sex is pleasurable, but don't die of disease or spend yourself into poverty on courtesans chasing that pleasure'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Somehow I never realized that some people say an extra line at the end of the Lord's Prayer.

"For the kingdom and the power and the glory are yours forever."

I saw a sign with this version of the prayer at a bookstore and did a double take.

That's in the United Methodist version, IIRC. I remember hearing it from my grandparents on my Mom's side.

"United Methodist Hymnal #270 posted:

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil,
for thine is the kingdom,
and the power and the glory forever.
Amen.

https://hymnary.org/hymn/UMH/page/270

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I honestly hope that faith gives her comfort. Fame has done terrible things to her life and her family.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know whether the guardianship arrangement is overall a good or bad thing but she is someone that had a significant and public mental breakdown some years ago, aspects of which might not have been made public.

She's also someone who had people with no fiduciary duty to her controlling her estate and forcing her to perform to enrich them, one being her father. She pulled in roughly $30m a year while working from 2008-2020, and over the course of this conservatorship her estate's value has dropped from $350m to $60m while she has no control of her money and no one financially responsible to her in control of it until the last month or so either.

That whole situation is a huge mess, and I feel for her.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 7, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The best advice I can give is always to find out what a given creed actually believes, and see if that resonates with you. This being 2021, most of the major sects actually have available literature on the web, although it's definitely good to speak with adherents to see what the day to day of the faith is actually like and how the scripture is interpreted.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, sounds like you might have already converted. Going to mass because you like the service and the tradition and the community while having serious misgivings about higher level church policy and leadership is extremely catholic, especially if you’re American.

Yeah, that is absolutely a common American Catholic experience.

Generally, I've rarely heard of anyone having a problem, just don't take communion unless you're Catholic and properly disposed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

JcDent posted:

American? Wait till I find my description of a particularly lovely mass i listened to in July where the priest talked about media bring jealous of the church and dropping "New Age" in English like a good tinfoil.

I've never been Catholic outside of America, so I can't speak in broad terms to the frustrations there, but I empathize. That does sound particularly frustrating.

I mostly make the distinction because the USCCB is full of a particular strain of conservative prelates.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 28, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Shitposting by proxy!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Salt and fat are flavor. Hence why the key to tasty restaurant food is all the butter humanly available. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Spoken like someone who's never gone looking for more than an Applebee's north of Memphis.

( I kid, I kid. )

Regional cuisines have more variety than you give them credit for. The upper midwest, for an example a lot of this thread is familiar with, is heavily influenced by German and Dutch immigrants.

A great deal of the 'bland' reputation involves assuming the recipes that came out of the Great Depression are as deep as it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dill pickles are delicious, which is what matters.

I have a whole pile of old church cookbooks on my shelf full of recipes like that, and others that are downright terrible. :D