Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

Point taken, I'll still write up an OP though.

I meant to post this tonight but got busy. Please heckle me if I fail to put this up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ep 2: One thing I really like about the show is that it doesn't seem particularly enamored with whatever mythos it has, like the scene where they explain what Wonder Killers are is also a gag about the protagonist yelling into a vent. I'm not sure it's ever going to be particularly important if Acca is evil or not or how Wonder Killers are made, they're just catalysts for everything else and everything else rules.

I really like how the show takes material that could be like, constant theatrical misery and makes it work by keeping the dialog grounded. It also feels like a lot of care was taken to make characters that aren't flat victims, there's always a motivation there that rings true. Really excited for this one!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Very cool show. Really reminds me of an Ikuhara anime, kind of on the Utena or Mawaru Penguindrum side of things. Utena--another story about a lesbian fighting to save herself and a friend from abuse--has the repeated mantra, "We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born."

Ai has to crack the wonder egg to initiate the dream sequence. Is the egg a world--the closed world of a victim of abuse, shut off from freedom and possibility? Is it the world of someone who "died without being born"? To be born, a chick has to break out of its egg, but that means breaking out of the egg from the inside. Ai is breaking into an egg, and into a dream/world. Is that really okay? Does she think she's helping these girls, who have already died without being born, when in fact she's just cracking open an egg for her own nourishment?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure but I think Ohto might be gay. :raise:

More seriously I think it's twice now she's remarked on the physical appearance of two people she's met, it could be she's just envious/admiring of people who are more physically active than her couch potato self, but past on that tweet thread about the authors previous works maybe it is more? It would be nice if there were multiple yuri show's this season.

Some of the animations especially with how Ohto held her pen-mace were very reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts to me, particular it is similar to how Sora wield's the keyblade. The enemies it just clicked for me even resemble the Heartless! Including the mid-bosses! But darker and more serious and dramatic.

There's probably a very rich well to compare and contrast the themes and messages of the two things.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

legitimately wonder what more you need to see before you can just say she's gay lol

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Episode 2 started out even more avant garde than I was anticipating.

Then I realized Funi's player was somehow replaying the first, but with the second's subs :confused:

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure but I think Ohto might be gay. :raise:

uhhh you should watch that first episode again it was pretty clear

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm less inclined to see the mannequins as straight-up antagonists after this episode, given that one of them gave Ai useful advice about how to understand and help out the mental states of both her rescue target and her fellow egg-hunter during their conversation in the garden. They're not good, sure, but I don't think they're necessarily evil either.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
gently caress cia redaction posts but man episode two really simultaneously reaffirmed my faith in this show and was hard to watch.

The way it deals with emotional trauma is extremely loving real and frankly at parts of the episode i was squinting and having trouble watching, and I am one who seeks out media that makes me miserable most of the time.

Despite that, holy gently caress, this show is fantastic, i can't wait how it will disgust/horrify/make me cry next. What an accomplishment

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Varinn posted:

uhhh you should watch that first episode again it was pretty clear

That part of my post was meant to be a joke; yes I think it is pretty clear at least in terms of subtext, what did I miss though in terms of text?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Been watching the new anime about eggs. Pretty good. But what year does it take place in?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

an actual dog posted:

legitimately wonder what more you need to see before you can just say she's gay lol

To be fair this is Anime, a medium that loves having two same-sex characters spend a whole series barely being able to contain their raging boners for each other only for the writers to get cold feet at the last second.

galagazombie fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 20, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

To be fair this is Anime, a medium that loves having two same-sex characters spend a whole series barely being able to contain their raging boners for each other only for the writers to get cold feet at the last second.
no, not really

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That's a weird thing to say about "Anime" but even if that's the case, the writer of this wrote dramas with same sex kissing in 1994. Don't expect cold feet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the point galagazombie is alluding to is that there are enough shows which are more subtext than text so sometimes what might be obvious to some people isn't so obvious to others, in addition to some shows being yuribait and so such.

So I guess I'll ask again, is there something I missed or are we referring to the subtext being clear?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
nah

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

big fan of the OP

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dogsicle posted:

big fan of the OP

heh, I'd missed that.

Also, not that it wasn't already pretty obvious from the dynamic the show establishes between her and Koito, but even aside from the Big Symbolism Lily we get a big shot of in episode 1, if you pay attention to the background in a few shots of her room you'll notice that Ai keeps lilies in her room as well, if you needed the symbolism to be still more direct.

Honestly the more interesting question to me at this point than whether or not Ai is into girls is whether/when she'll realize that she is. She's certainly young and neurotic enough that I'd be reasonably surprised if she were fully aware of it already.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 21, 2021

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well I hope at least some of her crushes like her back :P

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

heh, I'd missed that.

Also, not that it wasn't already pretty obvious from the dynamic the show establishes between her and Koito, but even aside from the Big Symbolism Lily we get a big shot of in episode 1, if you pay attention to the background in a few shots of her room you'll notice that Ai keeps lilies in her room as well, if you needed the symbolism to be still more direct.

Honestly the more interesting question to me at this point than whether or not Ai is into girls is whether/when she'll realize that she is. She's certainly young and neurotic enough that I'd be reasonably surprised if she were fully aware of it already.

She at least seems sufficiently aware of it to consciously go 'oh wow, she's hot' every time she meets an attractive girl.

One big change I think we'll eventually see is her permanently ditching her yellow raincoat. It's a metaphorical shell in a show about breaking them. It's got to go.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

heh, I'd missed that.

Right, I got confused because "wonder what more you need to see" suggested to me there was something more textual I missed, I got the subtext and symbolism easily enough, like the rainbow sandals which I what I'm assuming you and dogsicle are remarking on. :)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

She at least seems sufficiently aware of it to consciously go 'oh wow, she's hot' every time she meets an attractive girl.

One big change I think we'll eventually see is her permanently ditching her yellow raincoat. It's a metaphorical shell in a show about breaking them. It's got to go.

I mean, going from "she's cute!" to "I might wanna kiss/date her" feels like a pretty substantial mental jump even for a less socially-terrified 14 year old than Ai is, in my experience.

Also yeah I totally agree about the raincoat. I like how the show's very consistent about her mannerisms that way too - she's always trying to create safe bubbles around herself like that. She's got the covering over her bed, for instance, which is itself inside the larger safe space of her room, and even when she's fooling around in the dream school in episode 2 we see her wrap the curtain around herself in a way that seems very deliberately framed IMO.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

But the yellow raincoat is cute as hell

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
you can't just, tell a lesbian not to wear a baggy hoodie

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I didn’t catch any of this gay symbolism but it seems to fit well.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
https://twitter.com/AnimesocMegan/status/1351043084499480579?s=20

aside from the very obvious visual and plot cues in the story i think that the writer's previous work makes it pretty blatant that this is going to be an lgbt work and i am fuckin here for it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sakugablog has stuff up on the first two eps

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2021/01/24/wonder-egg-priority-production-notes-01-02/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Looked up this Nojima guy and while most of the things he's made were from before or after I watched dramas, he apparently did one of the ones I remember most - Strawberry on the Shortcake.

Strawberry on the Shortcake is arguably the single most angsty television show I've ever seen. IIRC the plot involved the protagonist being in love with his quirky free-willed friend, who was herself in love with some extremely aloof older guy (and protagonist's childhood friend is also in love with him while he pines for quirky girl). I remember enjoying it, though. Lots of ABBA music for some reason - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUaik3CaISA

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 25, 2021

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Julias posted:

I'll make a thread with a proper OP this afternoon, this show deserves it.

I watched this earlier and I kept thinking of this gif and I’m glad other people thought of this

anyway my only contribution is that the main character looks like a duck in the yellow hoodie and it’s fun

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Finally had a chance to watch episode 2. This show is something special.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wow the idol industry sure is problematic huh

Also

https://twitter.com/samplefumble/status/1354088668705730560

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 26, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm now really interested in getting the comparative take from those people watching the current season of Wixoss.

And I'm not the least bit surprised on the show's take on Idols since, well you have been watching the show right? Even then, the shot of Rika in the bath had me do a double take. Doubly so because her magic weapon appears to be made from the knife she uses for cutting herself…

That also has me wondering whether the fact that it is something painful is actually a common trait to all the magic weapons. Like the girl from episode two hated rhythmic gymnastics and wanted to quit and Ai used her ribbon as a weapon, maybe episode one girl actually hated writing (or something about writing, or expectations on her writing, or etc.) and that's why Ai can use it as a mace? It makes me want to know what Neiru uses as her weapon.

Also if the counselor ends up being Ai's personal Wonder Killer I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. This is a show that so far has been (at least in part) about victimization by those with power and authority, there is clearly something not on the up and up with the guy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well... Ai isn't dead so I assume she has no Wonder Killer. If she did, surely it'd be more likely Kobito than anything?

Unrelatedly, thinking about it, Rika has an awful lot of imagery about eating around her, doesn't she? See e.g. the OP. So I'm wondering now if she projected on to that fan her own body image/eating issues... It seems like her self-harm likely pre-dated Chiemi's death.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 26, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I'm now really interested in getting the comparative take from those people watching the current season of Wixoss.

And I'm not the least bit surprised on the show's take on Idols since, well you have been watching the show right? Even then, the shot of Rika in the bath had me do a double take. Doubly so because her magic weapon appears to be made from the knife she uses for cutting herself…

That also has me wondering whether the fact that it is something painful is actually a common trait to all the magic weapons. Like the girl from episode two hated rhythmic gymnastics and wanted to quit and Ai used her ribbon as a weapon, maybe episode one girl actually hated writing (or something about writing, or expectations on her writing, or etc.) and that's why Ai can use it as a mace? It makes me want to know what Neiru uses as her weapon.

Also if the counselor ends up being Ai's personal Wonder Killer I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. This is a show that so far has been (at least in part) about victimization by those with power and authority, there is clearly something not on the up and up with the guy.

Seems pretty clear what the deal with the teacher is. He got into a relationship with Koito and caused, accelerated, or failed to prevent her suicide, which is why Ai hates him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I know we're focusing on the deep psychological implications of the show and that's great but...

...am I the only one who saw Rika and immediately thought of Shulk?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no because rika is way cooler and more epic

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
lady with speakers, the only thing i can read into that is she posts alot. Probably bad posts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, lol at Ai's expression when the fangirls started fawning over her. Bless her gay little heart.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"Like pillow fights?"
"Yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm honestly not a hundred percent sure whether or not Neiru was in on the joke there or not.

Also Rika's design is great, she feels to me like Rikka Gridman and Yayaka Flip Flaps had a (very troubled) baby