Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm honestly not a hundred percent sure whether or not Neiru was in on the joke there or not.

I'm pretty sure that Neiru was just weighing whether or not it was worth the effort to try to explain what it really meant, and came down on the side of no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, with regards to the ending, I find it really unlikely Rika's like, dead. There's a lot of stuff about her backstory that's just sort of vaguely implied and they set up a pretty strong dynamic between her and Ai, it'd be weird to just not have any of that pay off. Plus honestly her just being dead would be pretty lame.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

"Like pillow fights?"
"Yes."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think it's terribly likely she's dead either, but it's not like being dead is an obstacle to making an impact in this show

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

also, with regards to the ending, I find it really unlikely Rika's like, dead. There's a lot of stuff about her backstory that's just sort of vaguely implied and they set up a pretty strong dynamic between her and Ai, it'd be weird to just not have any of that pay off. Plus honestly her just being dead would be pretty lame.

She's part of the main quartet in the OP and promotional material, so I assume that this is just some weird attack that Ai needs to figure out in order to save her, kickstarting a more sincere friendship.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I heard this show is good but also, I haaaaaatee bugs. How bad is the bug character?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's just a beetle that shows up at the start of the first episode, if you can get past that then you'll be fine

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah the character isn't actually a bug, he just speaks through one for like one scene early on. Bugs haven't really been a thing in this show since.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Xun posted:

I heard this show is good but also, I haaaaaatee bugs. How bad is the bug character?

no commento ~

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

there is no bug character, just a dude who talks through various objects. he spends most of the first episode talking through a fly. there's no real closeup or grossout shots of it anything it mostly just flies around as a black blotch onscreen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

there is no bug character, just a dude who talks through various objects. he spends most of the first episode talking through a fly. there's no real closeup or grossout shots of it anything it mostly just flies around as a black blotch onscreen.

That said, the ways in which he communicates through various objects are consistently pretty disturbing.

Those toilet paper lips...

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
it's very interesting how script has flipped with a remorseful abuser (with obviously a million issues of her own) being one of the core wonder egg users, basically to try to save her own victim. like in chiemi's wonder egg world, she's easily the monster. i'm guessing the show is going to explore this idea directly

also lol at ai explaining her girl crushes

e: the theories about koita being sexually abused by the counselor (who has some kind of designs on ai, either threatening or trying to groom her) seem pretty much confirmed at this point and so if those show has been a rough watch already its clearly going to get so, so much worse

ee: also at this pace this show is going to be content warning bingo, there will be so few people i feel comfortable recommending it too. thats not a bad thing, this is my favorite anime in years, but wow it is really comprehensive

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 27, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

it's very interesting how script has flipped with a remorseful abuser (with obviously a million issues of her own) being one of the core wonder egg users, basically to try to save her own victim. like in chiemi's wonder egg world, she's easily the monster. i'm guessing the show is going to explore this idea directly

also lol at ai explaining her girl crushes

e: the theories about koita being sexually abused by the counselor (who has some kind of designs on ai, either threatening or trying to groom her) seem pretty much confirmed at this point and so if those show has been a rough watch already its clearly going to get so, so much worse

ee: also at this pace this show is going to be content warning bingo, there will be so few people i feel comfortable recommending it too. thats not a bad thing, this is my favorite anime in years, but wow it is really comprehensive

I'm fairly sure that the teacher's interest in Ai is mostly about Koito. He's trying to buddy up to her and her family and be a perfect teacher to them in order to sweep his involvement in Koito's death (which only Ai knows and cares about) under the carpet. It could be guilt, it could be cynical manipulation, it could be a bit of both.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm sort of seeing the teacher as kinda a red herring at present, because I think the themes of the show are mostly internal, and so I dunno if it's a good fit to bring in an external "villain" like that.

I mean it could turn out to be something entirely different like "he's dating Ai's mum".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

I'm sort of seeing the teacher as kinda a red herring at present, because I think the themes of the show are mostly internal, and so I dunno if it's a good fit to bring in an external "villain" like that.

I mean it could turn out to be something entirely different like "he's dating Ai's mum".

That wasn't the sort of hug that a student is generally supposed to share with her teacher, though. Given that Koito later killed herself, there's no benign interpretations of his behaviour, only ones that are slightly less awful.

I can believe that he isn't much of an antagonist in the present sense, though, just a guy who was either responsible or partially responsible for something horrible. It may just be that Ai hates him because she sees so much of herself in him, and that's what she has to deal with as part of her process of self-acceptance.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 27, 2021

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i think if that if at some point ai or one of the other 3 wonder egg travelers goes into koita's world he's going to be the monster, tbh. he is deffo not a benign figure at a minimum and i think he's going to be a central aspect. definitely strikes me as a monster, especially after (in addition to the extremely suspect scene with koita) he immediately hosed off when he saw that ai brought someone with her, and thus was not alone. though what i meant by "threatening" as one possible reason i meant basically what darth walrus was saying, to sweep his involvement in koita's death under the rug

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if nothing else he and ai's mom are definitely getting down in your town. 'if you have company, i'll see myself out' and every time Ai's come home he's been hanging around. Ai seems pretty aware of it too, with the pointed way she told Rika that he wasn't her dad. Even if his relationship with Koito was normal (which seems extremely unlikely at this point), shacking up with the mom of the kid with trauma who you're ostensibly there to help is pretty messed up.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Endorph posted:

if nothing else he and ai's mom are definitely getting down in your town. 'if you have company, i'll see myself out' and every time Ai's come home he's been hanging around. Ai seems pretty aware of it too, with the pointed way she told Rika that he wasn't her dad. Even if his relationship with Koito was normal (which seems extremely unlikely at this point), shacking up with the mom of the kid with trauma who you're ostensibly there to help is pretty messed up.

I agree with all this. Guy is giving me bad vibes all around, and I thought from the first time we saw his shoes that they were getting it on. If it turns out the other way around it'd be a cool twist, a happy surprise, but right now I don't have an ounce of faith in the guy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I've seen some speculation that Ai/The Audience has been deliberately given the wrong idea about the teacher based on the idea that the show is more interested in the social systems that malform people in the way that, like, Rika is maladjusted than it is in having a single evil Bad Guy, and that you could maybe excuse his constant home calls with the fact that he's a counselor and Ai is quite obviously in need of therapy, and I feel like that makes some sense at a glance, but also Creeper Sensei is also the most obvious avatar and direct actor we've been shown in that malformed system. Plus the way these first few eps have gone doesn't really give me the impression that the show is really interested in playing with the audience's expectations like that. I feel like Rika having self-harm issues was telegraphed from a mile away, for instance.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The only thing I'm certain about vis-a-vis the counselor dude is we don't have the full story on him for better or worse.

Hell we don't actually know the whole story behind Koito's death, as episode 3 shows with that scene of Ai walking in on her. That was totally new information. We know what happened to her and even largely why, but there are clearly some details that are still missing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

The only thing I'm certain about vis-a-vis the counselor dude is we don't have the full story on him for better or worse.

Hell we don't actually know the whole story behind Koito's death, as episode 3 shows with that scene of Ai walking in on her. That was totally new information. We know what happened to her and even largely why, but there are clearly some details that are still missing.

Yeah, I'd be particularly curious to know what specific catalyst - if there is one - caused her to finally jump.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I'd be particularly curious to know what specific catalyst - if there is one - caused her to finally jump.

I'm betting it's more directly tied to Ai's "betrayal". Right now the worst we've seen is that she was too scared to film Koito's assault. That's a thing to regret, definitely, but I can't help but think there's something else?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Reading the wikia I accidentally spoilered myself on a thing that might be significant so this is a heads up I guess.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Fangz posted:

Reading the wikia I accidentally spoilered myself on a thing that might be significant so this is a heads up I guess.
Wait, how do you spoil yourself on a currently-airing original anime?

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Continuing the discussion of the teacher stuff for this paragraph, be warned: my current thought about the teacher is they're going to both play with our expectations and play things as we're assuming they are at once. Even if he hadn't been in some sort of abusive relationship with Koito, him being a counselor would give him a reason to develop a close relationship with Koito due to the bullying she was going through, and for other girls to accuse Koito of getting special treatment. I'm thinking Ai dislikes him (he did ask "do you really hate me that much?") because she's mad at him for not stopping Koito due to that alone, and potentially doesn't know or isn't sure he was abusing Koito along with that. He'd be hanging around partially to figure out whether or not Ai has figured it out. Alternatively AI does know but doesn't want to do anything out of fear of ruining Koito's reputation posthumously or something along those lines. And I agree that we'd probably find out for sure via him being Koito's Wonder Killer.

The other thing I picked up in this episode is how much about Neiru is being kept from us. We get pretty much everything about Rika's backstory immediately in comparison to hers. There's also shots of Ai with Koito, Rika with Chiemi and the last kid with a friend in the ED, but none of Neiru with anyone. I can't imagine what a twist there would be if there was a twist, but there's clearly a purposeful effort to keep info about her story from the viewer when you compare her with Rika. I think I have a wild theory about it, but I'd need evidence to actually appear in show.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The Wonder Killers have all been women so far, huh? Kind of interesting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

Wait, how do you spoil yourself on a currently-airing original anime?

I think there's some stuff from promo material? I dunno, it was an Oh poo poo Better Look Away sort of thing

Edit: there's the one at the start of this episode

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I found A Thing by looking at character bios on the official site, I'm not sure if that's what they're talking about. That said I doubt they're going to play it like some earth-shattering revelation if they were willing to put it on there.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Cephas posted:

this is a great observation but i would be really surprised if it holds the way through. though it is definitely a deliberate decision at this point, as psychotic stalker fan wonder killer is the perfect way to introduce a male wonder killer, as uh well let's just say that stereotype is embodied by the guy who found out where an idol lived by doing open source imagery analysis on a reflection in her iris. though i guess anime's seminal work on this idea, perfect blue, kinda had it both ways.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Pretty good show, really digging the continued Kingdom Hearts style in the characters movements/posing. Rika is great.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, lol at Ai's expression when the fangirls started fawning over her. Bless her gay little heart.

When was this? When the two girls hugged Ai and Rika? Or was there a different moment?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Production notes on episode 3

New flower language post for episode 3

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 29, 2021

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
yknow it rules that this is airing exactly 10 years after madoka bcuz its the first time i've loved a series so much that it might dethrone madoka as my favorite anime of all time

move over winter 2011, winter 2021 is here

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 30, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I caught up to egg. It was too much egg. When they got to Chiemi's death I said "Oh poo poo, oh no" out loud. I really hope this show will stick the landing.

Cephas posted:

Iirc the one Rika defeated at the beginning of episode 3 was male

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

A lot to unpack this episode.

Not sure what I make of Momoe Sawaki. I think she seems a lot happier to be referred to as a girl, but she's dressed as a boy even in her dreams, which is hmm. Maybe she's born intersex?

It seems the "environment" of the dream, and to some extent the contents of the eggs are determined by the egg user. I wonder if it's the case that the first egg always relates directly to the one they are trying to save in some way. Given people's speculation about the school counselor, which is Momoe's father(?), I worry about the molestation theme of her dreams... I guess there has to be some level of severity in terms of the injury incurred in the dream to be able to bleed through to the real world?

Neiru seems to know a lot more than she's letting on.

EDIT: I also wonder if the Seenoevils are only present in Ai's dreams.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 2, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Fangz posted:

It seems the "environment" of the dream, and to some extent the contents of the eggs are determined by the egg user.

Not only that, but the egg girls have the same relationship with the dreamer that the statue girl had with the dreamer. Momoe's girls get a crush on her, Rika's girls were big fans, and Ai just get new friends.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

How was the Wonderkiller of the two fan-girls related to them besides also being a Yu-Yu fan?

Fangz posted:

A lot to unpack this episode.

Not sure what I make of Momoe Sawaki. I think she seems a lot happier to be referred to as a girl, but she's dressed as a boy even in her dreams, which is hmm. Maybe she's born intersex?

It seems the "environment" of the dream, and to some extent the contents of the eggs are determined by the egg user. I wonder if it's the case that the first egg always relates directly to the one they are trying to save in some way. Given people's speculation about the school counselor, which is Momoe's father(?), I worry about the molestation theme of her dreams... I guess there has to be some level of severity in terms of the injury incurred in the dream to be able to bleed through to the real world?

Neiru seems to know a lot more than she's letting on.

EDIT: I also wonder if the Seenoevils are only present in Ai's dreams.

Momoe is really unsure about herself, maybe because of the romantic interest she receives?
She looks interest at the make-up in the ending.

Neiru being a company president is really shady. It was her secretary who showed up at the hospital. Maybe she is actually an adult?

About the Seenoevils, Rika refers to them as bystanders, which really describes the same concept. Somebody else might call them rubbernecks.

-e-
Uhh, the second Wonderkiller Momoe fought had choke pears for hands?

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 2, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah it's hard for me to tell whether Momoe's trans/NB or something similar or whether this is just an insecurity/beauty standards thing. It does seem noteworthy to me that she's in a girl's uniform in her flashback - this doesn't seem like the sort of story where she'd be lucky enough to go to a school that would let her do that if she was AMAB, but we'll just have to see.

Knockout episode all around, though, show continues to make Very loving Hard things look effortless. I particularly liked Ai and Neiru getting to hang out a bit this episode, I really adore their dynamic.

Oh, also, it seems noteworthy that this episode confirmed that there can be male Wonder Killers, I believe all the previous ones had been women.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That episode suddenly went a bit :biotruths: when it explained how girls commit suicide as a spur of the moment, irrational and emotional act while boys act with a plan and get things done. Honestly, that felt uncomfortable.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

That episode suddenly went a bit :biotruths: when it explained how girls commit suicide as a spur of the moment, irrational and emotional act while boys act with a plan and get things done. Honestly, that felt uncomfortable.

I mean, it was Acca saying that, who's not exactly framed as a beacon of trustworthiness or good guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

I was wondering if there was some awkwardness in the translation because of the conclusion being "don't get hung up about gender". Like maybe he was talking about social conditioning being different between boys and girls, and hence why Momoe (who was still being presented as male in this scene) being still therefore valid for Egging.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 2, 2021