Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I guess that’s the season title? They said it was all one long story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
"The Flux is coming! Get the soldering iron ready!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bunch of Sontarans sauntering in with the card game while the Doctor and companions groan and prepare to hide again.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
oh no not sontarans

Until the date popped up at the end I thought this was a plug for a mobile game or something.

DOCTOR WHO SERIES 13: LET'S GET IT OVER WITH

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hope they didn't really delete out their official youtube account for a dumb marketing gimmick. Pretty much any time I wanted to see a clip of the modern series they had put it up themselves.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

elf help book posted:

I hope they didn't really delete out their official youtube account for a dumb marketing gimmick. Pretty much any time I wanted to see a clip of the modern series they had put it up themselves.

It all appears to be back now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rochallor posted:

oh no not sontarans

That was my reaction as well.

Oh no Doctor, how are you going to defeat the dreaded Sontarans? :byodood:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Flight Bisque posted:

It all appears to be back now.

Cool

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

AndyElusive posted:

That was my reaction as well.

Oh no Doctor, how are you going to defeat the dreaded Sontarans? :byodood:

Didn't they mention the Weeping Angels as well? There's some new, untrodden ground there :rolleyes:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Angels are are legit loving scary though, and they'll mess you up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

AndyElusive posted:

Personally, I think they've gotten lamer with every subsequent appearance after their first, but that's just me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A new bodyseason.... at last.

Just uhhh.... just make it good, Chibnall. You did Broadchurch, so I know that you know how :argh:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BadWolfArchives/status/1445031316018409475

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Personally, I think they've gotten lamer with every subsequent appearance after their first, but that's just me.

it is not just you

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Class3KillStorm posted:

Didn't No. 10 Downing Street also get blown up by tomahawk missile or something at the end of it (which was the start of the ascension of Harriet Jones, Prime Minister, and thus the First Great and Glorious Human Empire)? How did THAT one get hand-waved away?

I've just realised that given what we knew about Harriet Jones, Prime Minister, Britain's Golden Age would have overseen by an Old Labour backbencher who unexpectedly came into the leadership.

Dammit, Doctor. Why can't we have nice things?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yvonmukluk posted:

Harriet Jones, Prime Minister

Yes, we know who she is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought that joke was getting pretty run into the ground but when the Daleks said it to her I still loving lost it :allears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
And then she got Exterminated. :(

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm slowly starting to embark on a quest that will probably take me my entire life. To listen to all of big finish, and their first release is a Bernice Summerfield adventure. It's a two hour long pantomime which is a bit of a bold choice for a first release let me tell you! 16 min in and I feel if I can complete this, nothing big finish throws my way will stop me!

It does have Nicholas Courtney voicing a cat and he commits 100% which will probably be my highlight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man I really gotta find more time to listen to Big Finish, outside of the first 9th Doctor Adventures I haven't listened to anything for a couple of years. Last regular monthly audio I listened to was Plague of the Daleks (not a great story to stop at, sadly), and at the time I was only about 70 releases behind being caught up, now it's like twice that amount :stare:

Oh No It Isn't looks.... well, I'm not sure I have words to adequately describe it.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I remember plague just being really really average which sucks because I normally love listening to fifth and nysaa stories!
Sneaky edit: Not as much as Colin Baker of course!

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 10, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
While I love working from home, losing my commute did completely excise my audio drama listening time from my life. I can't really listen to anything with a narrative while I'm working, I lose the plot and don't retain any of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

I remember plague just being really really average which sucks because I normally love listening to fifth and nysaa stories!

Perhaps my biggest issue with Plague was that it's the final episode in a trilogy that... largely has absolutely nothing to do with the previous two stories. Suddenly although they're in the same location at a different time, it's all new characters (the returning characters are hyper-diluted facsimiles of various characters from the previous stories and barely in it) and the Daleks are there and that's the big problem they're dealing with. The first story flows seamlessly into the second and features a ton of linked features that inform what is going on, and then the third is just... it's own thing. With Daleks. :confused:

jivjov posted:

While I love working from home, losing my commute did completely excise my audio drama listening time from my life. I can't really listen to anything with a narrative while I'm working, I lose the plot and don't retain any of it.

Yeah, my commute was where I listened to most of my Big Finish stuff, and when I changed that up it really dropped the time I'd have to actually be able to concentrate on the story.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
What really disappoints me about Chibnall is that his teasers always invite more interesting ideas than the ones he actually provides us with.

I see that Flux trailer, and hear about the "renegade Doctor" thing, and I think this season arc:
The Doctor and her other selves are on the run, pursued by Time Lord special agents from another dimension. They're encountering and battling their old foes in the process. But all of this is just a distraction from a more pervasive and dangerous interdimensional being, one which already conquered the Doctor's universe without her even noticing.

Fake spoiler tag: The Flux turns out to be color (OK, colour, but you know what I mean). Several of the Doctors dwelt in a universe where color did not exist, but then this extradimensional being entered the universe and pervaded its every corner. Now, colorizers work to break into every remaining monochrome dimensional pocket. Will the Doctor defeat color itself? Or will she find a way for the universe to live in peace with this incomprehensible entity?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narsham posted:

Fake spoiler tag: The Flux turns out to be color (OK, colour, but you know what I mean). Several of the Doctors dwelt in a universe where color did not exist, but then this extradimensional being entered the universe and pervaded its every corner. Now, colorizers work to break into every remaining monochrome dimensional pocket. Will the Doctor defeat color itself? Or will she find a way for the universe to live in peace with this incomprehensible entity?

I remember somebody posting once that there was legitimately a story written (I assume during the wilderness years) where aliens were traveling backwards through time and making slight alterations to the timestream, and the entire thing was written to "explain" the fact that a 7th Doctor story accidentally misspelled the name of the scrapyard from An Unearthly Child. I used to laugh at somebody being that pedantic about something so utterly irrelevant, silly me I should have known that this was actually a qualification to be showrunner of Doctor Who!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I mean, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen parked cars covered up by big spraypaint-and-styrofoam rocks in the Tom Baker episodes I watch every Saturday at midnight. I like that the show has the attitude that it’s just going to play things straight with the low budget and you just have to accept that—no self-aware winking or jokes about how lovely everything looks. It actually makes me feel ashamed if I laugh at something, like the Doctor wheeling Stavros from room to room because they’re the only two actors in the scene and Stavros is in an office chair with a bunch of poo poo glued onto it and can’t move it around himself, even if the Doctor is supposed to be his prisoner.

Still, that kind of overly serious attention to continuity flies in the face of the nature of the production at a certain point. In last night’s episode, they decided to turn the randomizer off because they decided the black guardian wasn’t a big deal, all in two rushed lines of dialogue at the very end that didn’t seem to have much thought put into them other than as a way to have some variety in the stories again.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I completely agree about leaning into the small budget being a great part of Classic Who, but I can’t stop giggling at calling Davros “Stavros,” like the Daleks are a bunch of sinister Greeks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I spent two seasons of the 2000s Battlestar Glalactica thinking Baltar was named Balthazar. What the gently caress kind of name is Baltar?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I just want episodes where they can show Jodie having fun playing the doctor, why would I care about big BIGGEST CHALLENGE EVER WILL CHANGE THE DOCTOR FOREVER! type stuff when we know the showrunner is changing and it's not likely to have much impact anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

She has an incredibly expressive face too and I wish they'd lean into that more. Her kind of bored "I'm trying to pretend to be interested in this but I have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about" reaction to Jack Robertson droning on about how he has money and is therefore important was great, and her reaction to Graham putting an arm around her shoulders in Rosa when they were pretending to be married was hilarious.

That and more weird poo poo like running into a personified anti-matter universe that decides to be a talking frog.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I spent two seasons of the 2000s Battlestar Glalactica thinking Baltar was named Balthazar. What the gently caress kind of name is Baltar?

A surname.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s a surname most prevalent in the Philippines, but also Brazil, Spain, and Portugal.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 11, 2021

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

AndyElusive posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Remember the Statue of Liberty being one!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"A Doctor not at ease with himself" is a good label for early Twelve, and then he just turned into Capaldi

:allears:

I hope they let Jodie have that metamorphosis too

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Payndz posted:

Casting a "who?" for Who gave us Tom Baker and Matt Smith, so they shouldn't be afraid to do it. But these are risk-averse times for the BBC, and RTD has a record of casting people he's worked with before, so I would have zero surprise if it was someone from Years And Years or It's A Sin.

Who's the most famous person to be cast as the Doctor? I'd guess Peter Davison, Christopher Eccleston or Peter Capaldi, with Davison probably the most mainstream-famous from All Creatures Great And Small.
From an American perspective, it'd be Capaldi by a country mile.

Edit: Y'know, after I posted this, I asked myself why I think this, and it's not based on anything real. Nevermind.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 11, 2021

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

From an American perspective, it'd be Capaldi by a country mile.

Edit: Y'know, after I posted this, I asked myself why I think this, and it's not based on anything real. Nevermind.

I wasn't around for the Davison era, but not sure how much notice "All Creatures..." had on the American side.

From an American perspective, I'd think that Eccleston would actually be the biggest name, mainly due to small roles in biggish hits, a la 28 Days Later and the Nicolas Cage Gone in 60 Seconds. Those would lend him a bit of an "oh yea, that guy" sort of familiarity.

I'd imagine that Capaldi would be recognizable due to "The Thick Of It," but I don't remember that having a ton of mainstream appeal here in America. It always seemed like more of a niche show here, even after "Veep" and In the Loop had come out. Maybe he might have had a bit more recognition from World War Z or Paddington, since they came out shortly before his tenure started, but again, small roles, so not sure how many American fans would have recognized him from those.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Class3KillStorm posted:

I wasn't around for the Davison era, but not sure how much notice "All Creatures..." had on the American side.

From an American perspective, I'd think that Eccleston would actually be the biggest name, mainly due to small roles in biggish hits, a la 28 Days Later and the Nicolas Cage Gone in 60 Seconds. Those would lend him a bit of an "oh yea, that guy" sort of familiarity.

I'd imagine that Capaldi would be recognizable due to "The Thick Of It," but I don't remember that having a ton of mainstream appeal here in America. It always seemed like more of a niche show here, even after "Veep" and In the Loop had come out. Maybe he might have had a bit more recognition from World War Z or Paddington, since they came out shortly before his tenure started, but again, small roles, so not sure how many American fans would have recognized him from those.

All creatures great and small definitely saw circulation on the PBS scene in the US.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Capaldi's seemingly-zero-effort costume of a hoodie or holey sweater under the frock coat was just absolutely perfect to me. And I don't really recall the two-parter, but I felt the sonic sunglasses and guitar were also inspired

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mameluke posted:

Capaldi's seemingly-zero-effort costume of a hoodie or holey sweater under the frock coat was just absolutely perfect to me. And I don't really recall the two-parter, but I felt the sonic sunglasses and guitar were also inspired

Magician's Apprentice/Witch's Familiar of Series 9

Which was six years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mameluke posted:

And I don't really recall the two-parter, but I felt the sonic sunglasses and guitar were also inspired
Said it somewhere upthread, but to me they radiated massive "middle-aged divorced dad trying to look cool in front of his kids (as they cringe)" energy.