Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

By faking a different alien invasion!

It wasn't a fat little mental patient, it was a pig-man after all!

Edit: In all seriousness, I think having the Doctor figure out the poor thing was just a genetically modified pig that had no idea what was going on and was just a poor terrified animal freaking out about all these big humans running around yelling at it was a genius bit of writing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jerusalem posted:

This is how I learned about Maclunkey, thank you for this gift. This bizarre, why the gently caress can't Disney just release the theatrical cut on Blu-Ray gift.

Don't get me started on bizarre changes to the OT

Back on Doctor Who, after getting caught up with the Chibnall era I decided to go back and watch revival episodes that I've never considered good from each Doctor (Aliens of London/WW3, Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, Curse of the Black Spot, and Kill the Moon) while they were still bad they didn't feel out of place or inconsistent with who/how the Doctor is.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Edward Mass posted:

"What if aliens secretly took over the government and looked to start a nuclear war?"

"Yeah, and what if the aliens were a bunch of fat people who farted a lot?"

"They gain power by killing half of the MPs and important ministers"

"Then, to cover it up, everybody will just say 'It was a prank, bro!'"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The episode where Jackie calls the Doctor a nonce and Rose indulges in some light homophobia.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

"What if aliens secretly took over the government and looked to start a nuclear war?"

"Yeah, and what if the aliens were a bunch of fat people who farted a lot?"

"Brilliant! Make that tall, smart young man the showrunner!"

"But he's already the showrunner."

"Fine, we'll wait then."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The real secret is that the evil BBC were sniggering with malicious glee at the idea of canceling Doctor Who, so RTD picked up the license and because he's a giant they can only stand far below his field of vision, impotently leaping up and down and waving their hands about unable to reach it anymore as he strides back to Cardiff o7

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

volts5000 posted:

"They gain power by killing half of the MPs and important ministers"

"Then, to cover it up, everybody will just say 'It was a prank, bro!'"

Narsham posted:

"Brilliant! Make that tall, smart young man the showrunner!"

"But he's already the showrunner."

"Fine, we'll wait then."

They're not planning on covering it up. They're planning on letting everyone kill each other over some storm-in-a-teacup dispute, and then selling off the planet for scrap after.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BIgDevine posted:

Someone stated that going back to a white male would be bad, I said that could be interpreted as a bit racist as the best person for the job should be chosen, I said idris elbra, who’s coloured.

Not sure if your calling me sexist or racist and saying the two have a connection… think you need to read more carefully myself but your welcome to your opinions.

Yeah, gently caress off with this, and you really don’t use the term coloured, that’s been a no-no for decades.

You do sound like an absolute Facebook troll though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SafeSpaceDrWho/status/1445809734653657088?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
C.Bakes is such a sweet and wholesome fella :unsmith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

C.Bakes is such a sweet and wholesome fella :unsmith:

Yeah.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Season 17 is the next one to get the blu-ray treatment!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1446113535361118214

It's good that Shada's on there but this is the first time they've double-dipped when it comes to blu-rays, isn't it?

Tomtrek fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 7, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nicola Bryant being distracted from commentary by sequins :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tomtrek posted:

Season 17 is the next one to get the blu-ray treatment!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1446113535361118214

It's good that Shada's on there but this is the first time they've double-dipped when it comes to blu-rays, isn't it?

Fantastic! Preordered! :toot:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh hey, a Pete McTighe story that’s not bad!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Tomtrek posted:

Yeah, but at least they have a 6 part Shada as something unique!

Although to be honest I’m happy to see this as a sign that animations will get rereleased, since they never got bluray releases in the US/Canada!

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Zaroff posted:

Although to be honest I’m happy to see this as a sign that animations will get rereleased, since they never got bluray releases in the US/Canada!

The UK blu-rays work in the US. I have the new Shada release and a few of the Troughton animated blu-rays and have no problem with them. (I view them on a PlayStation, if that makes a difference.)

That said, for seasons I typically wait for the US release to save on importing them. I'm really looking forward to this one (despite the double-dip of Shada) as the Douglas Adams season is one of my all-time faves.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This'll be my fifth version of Shada:

1992 VHS release
2003 audio starring Paul McGann
The original DVD of the 92 VHS
The animated one from a few years back
Now this Blu-Ray box

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Eight version of Shada is cool because it's like the slightly more professional version of that thing they do at cons sometimes where the Doctors get to read each other's monologues. I'd pay the not sale prices for a Big Finish line that's just "Six does this Four story" type of stuff. It'd be impossible, of course. Rights issues, actors not wanting to disrespect someone else's performance, etc. It's one of the cool things about Shada being in the weird limbo that it's always been.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The opening to the Eighth Doctor's version of Shada had some nice references to City of Death and The Five Doctors; I think the web animation version used that waxwork version of Tom Baker when Romana was explaining this.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Davros1 posted:

1992 VHS release
Now this Blu-Ray box

"It's a brilliant idea, Rusty! We'll order twice as many serials as we can afford, film only parts of half of them, and then commission reconstructions, audios, and animations to put "the whole story" in front of people. We'll make loads of money!"

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Shiftypenguin posted:

The UK blu-rays work in the US. I have the new Shada release and a few of the Troughton animated blu-rays and have no problem with them. (I view them on a PlayStation, if that makes a difference.)

I’d looked into that, but when I tried ordering it from Amazon, it’s either unavailable (they were blocking international orders), or charging ridiculous shipping.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zaroff posted:

I’d looked into that, but when I tried ordering it from Amazon, it’s either unavailable (they were blocking international orders), or charging ridiculous shipping.

Have you tried Zavvi?

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Zaroff posted:

Yeah, you have to go through Amazon US. They often pop up for sale there soon after they hit the street date in the UK. I typically wait a bit too as at release they're pricey, but after a few weeks the price tends goes down.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're not planning on covering it up. They're planning on letting everyone kill each other over some storm-in-a-teacup dispute, and then selling off the planet for scrap after.

Yeah, that was the Slitheen's plan. When the Doctor thwarted their plan, the public explained away the ship smashing into Big Ben as an elaborate prank. When writing the ending, RTD apparently forgot that the "elaborate prank" also included killing a bunch of MPs.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Zaroff posted:

oh good.
I was disappointed they forced it into a feature length cut instead of sticking with the episodes last time.

Davros1 posted:

1992 VHS release
Now this Blu-Ray box
the Gareth Roberts novelisation is pretty good too

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

volts5000 posted:

Yeah, that was the Slitheen's plan. When the Doctor thwarted their plan, the public explained away the ship smashing into Big Ben as an elaborate prank. When writing the ending, RTD apparently forgot that the "elaborate prank" also included killing a bunch of MPs.

Didn't No. 10 Downing Street also get blown up by tomahawk missile or something at the end of it (which was the start of the ascension of Harriet Jones, Prime Minister, and thus the First Great and Glorious Human Empire)? How did THAT one get hand-waved away?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Class3KillStorm posted:

Didn't No. 10 Downing Street also get blown up by tomahawk missile or something at the end of it (which was the start of the ascension of Harriet Jones, Prime Minister, and thus the First Great and Glorious Human Empire)? How did THAT one get hand-waved away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXJmfd3cmg

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Honestly, if an "alien ship" crashed into Congress and a bunch of Congresspeople died, I'd probably believe it was an ill-fated and dangerous prank perpetrated by some of the dumber, more powerful Congresspeople. It actually sounds more likely than aliens.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1446528316723195905

Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are gone too

It begins, I guess?

https://twitter.com/oblongpictures/status/1446501380911419397

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 8, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The look like such happy genocidal murdertanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are gone too

It begins, I guess?

What's this all about?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Jerusalem posted:

What's this all about?

I'm sure James Stoker had something to do with it! :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe they’ve just decided it’s all more trouble than it’s worth, and they’re closing down the socials until RTD comes back.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If you Google search Doctor Who all the previous Doctors other than 13 are listed as Fugitive Doctor.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1446894478304825347

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh ok

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I feel like that has to be for some kind mobile Gacha? What on earth? lol

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bajoran earrings, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Suddenly understand what the Simpsons experienced with those Gabbo commercials.