Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ooh, quoted in the first post! Weird. Anyway,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

Basically everything from the restaurant onwards is decent.
I get the feeling that the story was initially written as normal-length with the restaurant being the point where things start being revealed, but then it was decided to make it a longer episode - so rather than go through the painful process of restructuring and extending an existing plot, Moffatt just threw 25 minutes of utter horseshit from his random ideas box together and stapled it onto the front of the script.

That and the first episode of 'Last of the Time Lords' were the times I've felt most genuinely embarrassed to be watching Doctor Who. And I watched 'The Twin Dilemma' and both the Rani stories on their first broadcast!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The switch to colour (and also the HD of the day, going from 425 to 625 lines) was expensive for the BBC, as they had to cover the cost of replacing every single piece of video equipment in late 1969 when BBC1 went full colour.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Dabir posted:

bit mean to take that completely out of DW's budget
It somehow came out of Babylon 5's budget, much to JMS's surprise and dismay two and a half decades later.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'm almost at the end of my Pertweeathon, which started at least two years ago - only 'Planet of the Spiders' to go. It's interesting as both the first era I remember as a kid, and for taking an overtly political stance; Three might come across as an aristocratic authority figure, but the stories put him very much in an anti-exploitation stance (he fights imperialism, colonialism, capitalism, militarism and nationalism). Probably because the writers were among the most left-leaning in the show's history, including an actual communist (Malcolm Hulke).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Excuse me!

Two Owls posted:

I always liked the bit in Ambassadors

of DEATH! [twaaaaang] where Liz is being held hostage by some goons who are clearly nervy about their plans unravelling, and she smirks and goes "don't worry, I won't hurt you." when one of them threatens her.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OldMemes posted:

Oh boy, if you're not familiar with the sheer batshit insanity of the Eighth Doctor Adventures, here's a tl;dr version.

[snip]
Maybe it's better played out than synopsised, but that all sounds fanfic-level terrible.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just finished my Pertwee run (over the course of about two years) and yes, doooooo iiiiiiiiit. There are inevitably clunkers ('The Time Monster' and 'The Monster of Peladon' spring to mind), but nothing of a 'Twin Dilemma' level, and there are also some genuine greats. There's also the best Master, the Brig, and Pertwee being the most dapper velvet-smoking-jacketed mofo in the universe. Go for it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If you're gonna steal, steal from the best.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

Terrance Dicks: Terry, you're the best.
Terry Nation: Thanks :)
Terrance Dicks: Now I need you to write me a new script.
Terry Nation: :ohdear:
Producer of The Baron: Terry! I'd like you to be the main writer on my series! I'm sure you've got lots of great stories for me.
Terry Nation: Why yes, yes I have. In fact, if you give me ten minutes and some Tippex, you can have the first one.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If you've got the ability to do so, watching 'Monster of Peladon' (and indeed any six-parter) at 1.5x speed makes it a lot more bearable.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Genesis? Power? Tsk
I should have specified any Pertwee six-parter, d'oh.

Edit: addendum to the 1.5x thing, I tried watching 'Power of the Daleks' at that speed, and it's impossible. Pertwee is totally comprehensible speeded-up, but Troughton... nope. The clown Doctor gets the last laugh again.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 22, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

marktheando posted:

I always have a great time watching Time Flight because my brain just goes into full Airplane! mode.

I'm sure I remember a youtube video that edited the two together but I can't find it now.
It was one of Farmergeddon's impressive mash-up videos, but unfortunately they seem to have disappeared from YouTube. (The only one I found was part 1 of his Five Doctors pisstake.) I've got it saved somewhere, but no idea exactly where.

Edit: oh hey, Google knows all!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 27, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m not a fan of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to begin with, but I feel like they really went overboard in Claws of Axos. It’s just nonstop mashing on the synth and it’s almost unbearable.
Christ, can you imagine the BBC now paying for a dedicated department whose job it is to make weird electronic noises? "Surely this shocking waste of licence-payers' money would be better handled by the private sector (via one of my old Oxbridge chums)!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As I rip these DVDs, I’ve been watching a lot of 3rd Doctor stories I’d never seen before (which is most of them) and uhhhh I think I kinda love Jon Pertwee. It’s like someone crossed Ultra Q/Ultraman with a shoestring James Bond and it’s loving great.
Pertwee was the first Doctor I remember as a kid, so I give his stories a lot of leeway - but really, he doesn't have too many bad ones all told.

He was also the first time I got upset about a character on TV dying. I knew about regeneration in theory, but actually seeing him endure all that punishment (and be scared) in part 6 of 'Planet of the Spiders' before staggering out of the TARDIS and gasping his last was a huge shock to 7-year-old me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rochallor posted:

I don't remember when I first (and last) watched Torchwood--maybe 2011 or 2012? But it was plainly obvious then that it was wrong. I can only imagine it's even worse now.
poo poo, I just looked it up and found it's 10 years since Torchwood finished. :stare:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

I'll bet they could make up some very interesting Lost Civilization stuff with Doggerland.
Someone is trying to radically change the history of western Europe and by extension the world, by giving the people of Doggerland ( :haw: ) the advanced future technology of... dikes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm a big fan of the BF stories that push boundaries, rather than just replicate versions of the past. And I can't help but think that Deep Fakes would be bound to recreating the past, for so long, just to prove that they are identical to the originals.

The technology is going to limit the kinds of stories that can be told.
Have to admit that the animated reconstructions, while good to have, feel as if they're being constrained by what was shown in the telesnaps (and the recon's budget, of course) so often have a very slow, static air - probably more so than the live-action would have simply because the latter has real people to look at. I've got into the habit of watching them at 1.5x speed.

It'd be interesting to see what someone could do with the original script and recorded dialogue while taking a modern approach to the animation, but again, money would be the major issue there. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing a full CG recon of The Daleks' Master Plan that goes all-in on scale and spectacle rather than "everything must look exactly as it would have done when shot in a pokey TV studio in single takes on a rushed schedule", even if it upset the grognards.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just finished watching the recon of 'The Faceless Ones', and it's bizarre to realise that instead of Victoria we might have had a mouthy Scouser as a companion over half a decade before Sarah if Pauline Collins had accepted the offer to make Samantha the replacement for Ben and Polly.

Also, FFS BBC. You end the story on a cliffhanger mystery (someone's stolen the TARDIS!) and then junk a loving Dalek story? :argh:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

OldMemes posted:

Thank goodness the producers turned down Patrick Troughton's suggestion that he wanted to play the Second Doctor in blackface and a turban (!). It would have taken the fun out of the character entirely.
Sometimes, the lead actor totally ignoring what's on the page and creating their own character works perfectly: eg, Jason King. (Original plan: tweedy old Oxford don called Roger Cullingford.)

In this case, though, the producers were 110% right to go "Nope, are you out of your mind?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerusalem posted:

:hai:

I love the story about Ron Grainer listening to the theme, going,"Did I write this? :aaa:" and Delia Derbyshire saying something like,"...technically, yes :smug:"
Somewhere on YouTube is a rendition of Grainer's music done as a 'normal' TV theme of the era, and had something like it been used I doubt the show would have lasted so long.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My 6-year-old's become addicted to the 2017 Wacky Races reboot, which after my initial reactionary "they've changed things!" horror I've actually found quite good fun. But one episode in particular stood out - 'Wackier Than Fiction', where the Racers end up in a land of fiction populated by the likes of Gulliver and the Musketeers, where they face the threat of being edited out of existence by a sinister figure who controls the narrative...

Why yes, series writer/producer Mike Disa is a self-admitted fan of classic Doctor Who, it turns out!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've had a story idea kicking around for a while, so might give it a try this year!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The first appearance of the Time Lords: basically gods, who even the Doctor is terrified of, and he's one of them.

The second appearance of the Time Lords: an interfering bureaucrat in a bowler hat, the Doctor's reaction being an exasperated "Oh, for gently caress's sake".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Web of Fear Effect.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Welp, just submitted a story to Big Finish's Short Trips competition. Will anything come of it? Who knows. But it's an idea I've had percolating in my head for years, so at least I've finally done something with it now.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Journalistic experience of writing to exact word counts finally pays off! :toot:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I went for Three/Jo, partly because my story idea fitted the Pertwee era's recurring theme of humanity starting to colonise the galaxy, but also because I fairly recently finished a rewatch of his entire run and I could 'hear' Three's voice and mannerisms in my head really easily.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There was too much :wtc:ery about Davros in that story for me to enjoy it. "Oh, my eyes weren't burnt out by a nuke requiring the implantation of a cybernetic one in my forehead at all, I just couldn't be bothered to open them. And I know I said that I need my life-support chair to survive for more than 30 seconds, but guys - I'm a mad scientist, c'mon!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I read a summary of 'The Magician's Apprentice', and I'd forgotten - or blotted from my mind - an awful lot of it. This was the season where I later gave up on the show, and I think the Divorced Dad Midlife Crisis energy of a shades-wearing Twelve bursting through the wall of a Middle Ages castle in a tank while delivering a guitar solo used up much of what was left of my patience. Like a lot of Moffat's later stories, the core of the tale - the moral quandry set up by Four of "could you kill that child?" when Twelve encounters the young Davros - was almost buried by bullshit.

But that's just my opinion, man.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CommonShore posted:

At least 80% of the shots per season would be sound stage shoots, to make the process easier for the cast and crew. When script editing, the writer's room would ask for every single any scene or shot, "how can we do this on a sound stage or studio set instead of on location so that our actors don't burn out?"
Weirdly, I had exactly this thought today. Not every episode has to involve shipping the entire cast and crew across the country, or even another country entirely. Greenscreens exist. Do your CG establishing shot, then cut to the set. Save your goddamn money.

quote:

There would be no "Doctor who canon" stories during my tenure, and minimal series arcs. The tone of the show would shift away from being a puzzle box long arc prestige TV format and more towards self-contained episodes with more of standalone shorts thing going on. Having good individual stories will always be subordinate to having series narratives, which will happen mostly through character development instead of through puzzle boxes/recurring villains/apocalyptic threats.
Hell yes. Moffat's run brought this to the point of being incomprehensible even if you were anything short of an obsessed and uncritical superfan, because there was just so much being layered in that if you forgot one conversation from one episode last year, you had no idea why this person/group who you vaguely remembered as being on the Doctor's side was now implaccably opposed to him. (Lookin' at you, sci-fi priests.) And as for "Well actually, the real truth about the Doctor's past is..." :fuckoff:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

New figure of Troughton incoming! Interestingly this was supposed to come out a few years ago, it got leaked and CO cancelled the release in a huff.

https://twitter.com/doctorwhohome1/status/1415952694720741376
It irks me way, waaaay more than it should that they didn't get the top of the Peter Brachaki TARDIS right. (The gap above the sign over the doors is missing, and the roof's too flat.) :spergin:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Imagine if Rey had known all along that she was a descendant of Eeeevil Embodied, but actively chose to fight for good, and had to battle against her inner demons to overcome personal temptations that would lead her down the Dark Side. Imagine if she'd concealed the truth from her closest friends the whole time out of fear of rejection or worse, only for the truth to come out at the worst possible time. Drama! Character conflict both internal and external! Imagine if the sequel trilogy had been planned from the start, and wasn't just a money-grabbing bag of nostalgia wankery written by hacks with a final script hastily bodged together after the intended writer/director delivered a bomb so bad it got him fired from an entirely unrelated project!

No parallels to Chris Chibnall's time running Doctor Who, I'm sure.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Jason Statham as the Doctor. Deals with every enemy by covering himself in oil and headbutting it with a snarl of "wankah!"

Wouldn't be the first Cockney Time Lord. "Awright, Feytah Sigmah?"

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 30, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TinTower posted:

She’ll make Rusty’s gay agenda look straight by comparison.

And given most of her stuff takes place around the River Calder, I can’t wait for Aliens in ‘ipper’olme.
Ay up, Doctor! Theh's Daleks down at't Shay. Shift yer arse an' do 'em wi' yer sonic thingy b'fore theh get to't Piece 'all!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Cybermen are only ever interesting when their body-horror aspect is played up. Otherwise they're just dull robotic thugs who exist to be easily blown up, or melodramatic fist-clenchers who get entirely too emotional about confronting the Doctor. Sometimes both in the same story!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Silurians are one of those monsters that were only good in their first story. That they went from "weird and scary parallel-evolution reptilian humanoids" to "sexy wisecracking lizard ninjas" in just four major appearances was pure :ughh:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
You could have not kept whipping your cock out at every opportunity, but hey, your choice.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pastamania posted:

I actually preferred Moffat's run on the whole, but he just dodged the impact of people running away with The Doctor entirely by making everyone orphans. Which in fairness, he was very overtly trying to make the show a fairytale, and the orphan who escapes to go on magical adventures is an archytype going back centuries specifically because it neatly dodges the 'but what about the parents!?' bit.
Hindsight (and becoming a parent myself) has made Moffat's story choices about Amy and Roy's child utterly horrifying. "Your daughter was stolen from you, but it's okay! You already grew up with her as one of your school friends!" No, it's not okay, you loving robot-brained weirdo. Their child was taken from them, but the trauma of that was too big a bummer to deal with in a zappy Saturday-evening family adventure show, so quick, brush it off in one episode and distract from it by having Rory punch Comedy Hitler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Planet of the Dead' was a masterpiece compared to part 1 of 'The End of Time', though. Every bad thing about RTD's (first, lol) era holding each other's beers. I was embarrassed to be watching it.