Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Round things, etc

Love the new thread smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I started listening to the first Paternoster Gang box set...and now I'm really hoping that BF runs a sale of the rest back at preorder prices sometime soon--I lament having not picked up all 4 after how much fun I'm having with the first one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm 100% download only with BF. I have too much fandom poo poo from all my other hobbies clogging up my house to want to invest in more physical releases at this point

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They clearly had so many more War Doctor Ideas to use--between War Master, 8th Doctor Time War, and now the War Doctor Begins boxsets, they're determined to use all of 'em

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

In the DWM tribute issue to John, BF revealed that he had signed on to do four more boxsets before he passed away. :(

I think that was mentioned in a behind the scenes on something too. Such a shame to lose a Doctor in the midst of them gleefully reprising the role. And now it kinda tracks why Tom records his box sets YEEEEEEARS in advance and they have up through like season 15 of 4DAs in the can

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am still convinced that Miracle Day was plotted as a 5-chapter mini series like Children of Earth was that got ballooned to 10 episodes at the directive of Starz or whatever premium network it was they had partnered with

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm absolutely astonished the legs Torchwood has had with Big Finish. I guess I shouldn't be, they spun Jago and Litefoot from one story into 15 box sets and some one-offs, almost every doctor they've touched have more stories with them than they did on TV...but I just preordered stories 49 through 60....SIXTY!! of the monthly Torchwood range. And it's not just the tv show team! They have Torchwood Soho! Queen Victoria! Bilis Manger! All from a fairly poorly received little spinoff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Miracle Day has only had the most passing of mentions, stuff that flies under the radar, due to rights issues. Though even Children of Earth only gets brought up when the want to mention Ianto being dead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

275 stories; even more if you factor in the releases that are:

1) 2 two part stories
2) 1 one parter, 1 three parter
3) 4 one parters

Put it another way, including the TV movie in '96, in "classic" Who, there was only 170 stories.

275 and a half, thank you very much

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Including my preorders, I just crossed 1000 stories on Big Finish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really miss Murray Gold music in Doctor Who, and I really wish Big Finish was able to use more than just the theme tunes for the modern era Doctor releases.

I don't at all think the score from Segun Akinola is bad at all, but I really loved the ridiculous levels of bombast of Gold's stuff, and Akinola's is much more moody and ambient a lot of the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Completely unrelated:

https://twitter.com/adamlancegarcia/status/1373485156758138880?s=21

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Remember Adam? No, not the brief companion of the 9th doctor who went turbo evil in a comic. The other one. The fake Torchwood member that got his own special introduction sequence.

Well, Big Finish remembers him

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I love BF but goddrat do they stripmine the hell out of the DW IP for characters to build new series around.

This one isn't a new series--just one monthly installment in the Torchwood range

TinTower posted:

I mean, its probably not wise to be casting Bruno Langley in anything these days.

Ahh. Yeah I'd actually kinda completely forgot about that. Yikes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's falling under the same general thought process of, say, the rape committed by the literal title character in Wonder Woman '84. It's getting excused as not technically tape due to magic/technology making it okay.

E: to be clear--it's absolutely rape and it's absolutely gross and bad. I'm presenting the excuse being made, not saying I agree with that line of thought

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 24, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish using a TV Movie era picture of the Eighth Doctor for the last monthly story feels strange after them using newer photos of McGann for the last few years. The more modern photos just feel like they represent Eight as a character better, and it made a nice change from the old publicity stills.

8 is at that point in his personal timeline though--he's traveling with Charley in the not-too-long-post-TV-Movie era

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The big finish page also confirms that all of these stories are pre-Rose. So I guess he literally did just never look in the mirror.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One throwaway line about "not wanting to look himself in the eye" and I'll be satisfied

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think only one episode of Master! has Vienna in it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The evolution of big finish stories is really fascinating. I think a lot of people would agree that that modern BF stuff isn't as bold or daring as older stuff, and I would love a comprehensive breakdown of that shift. I'm sure a lot of is down to the tv show coming back and becoming an international sensation--weren't they pretty open about curtailing the 8th Doctor Divergent Universe storyline due to not wanting their flagship audio series to be so "weird" at a time of increased interest in the franchise?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I understand the argument than the main range got way too huge and it's kinda an impenetrable wall of "oh god where do I start" especially if you're wanting to follow the ongoing relationship between a given doctor and a big finish original companion...but ending the range and changing to a "here's boxsets every so often" seems like an odd way to fix that. If I'd asked, I would have suggested just splitting the display for all those stories off into separate screens for 5 through 8, and then just updating each doctor's page for a given story.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks so much for that effort post! I really appreciated that. Tbh the main range is my least-listened of all of BF's ranges due to 5-7 not really being "my" doctors. That explains why I've still been super positive on BF since I'm listening to all of the ranges that apparently are still doing super well

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

The problem with Who lego is, other than the console rooms and maybe Bessie and the Whomobile, there really isn't anything iconic to build out of lego. Character Options ran into this when they did their building brick line.

I feel like they'd work best as those little $9.99 small box sets, with a doctor and companion minifig, an alien minifig, and a TARDIS exterior set. Then your Lego TARDIS can just pop up in other Lego environments.

E: second, unrelated thought. The big effort post cited Erimem as a "problematic companion"--I've only listened to a couple stories with her, and it's been a while, so I likely have either forgotten something or not gotten to it, but what's wrong with Erimem?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 4, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
From the impression I've gotten from all the behind the scenes interviews on the 4th Doctor sets, Tom and Lalla have no issues working together these days. They probably don't shoot the poo poo in the green room like old friends, but they seem fine being professional and doing the job

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished up The Lone Centurion vol. 1 - thoughts spoilered here:

While I really enjoyed "Rory the Roman & Accidental Emperor", I feel like the "point" of the "last centurion" was lost a bit. The Pandorica doesn't even appear until a passing mention in the 3rd story, and at no point is Rory actually spending any time defending and protecting it, nor does he seem particularly fussed about being separated from it. The third story is the one where Rory really gets to come into his own as a character though, rather than just being basically used as comic relief "lol the plastic roman can't die, and he's a fish out of water". I don't regret the purchase, and Arthur Darvill's performance alone was worth the price of admission, but it really just wasn't what I was expecting at all

E: All that above being said -- the theme tune they came up with for this spinoff is really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Z2EXF6aos

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 25, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I do truly hope that Barrowman legitimately has taken reaction to heart and is actually actively behaving better and that this isn't just a "sorry I got caught" situation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Torchwood: Absent Friends was just cancelled by Big Finish. Completely understandable why...but man...having the Doctor pop up in a Torchwood story was something I was looking forward to

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, between Jack, Mickey, and Adam's actors....and reports of RTD turning a blind eye....suddenly Eccleston bailing as soon as contractually able to makes sense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll never forget Tom saying on social media "oh well they told me not to tell anyone I'm in the anniversary special, but I'm in it. What are they going to do to me?"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wait, you guys genuinely like Nick Briggs's stuff? He's got a really poor reputation in some of the other places I hang out, I'm surprised you guys don't feel the same?

I feel like he's a much better director than writer. The stuff he writes is prettt obviously his, and it feels rather workmanlike most of the time. It's Adequate Audio Drama.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Open Source Idiom posted:

Seems unlikely, given that leak's, what, over a year old and otherwise completely accurate?

Interesting--anything else we know of from that same leak?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's what I'm gathering. Series 13 this year, three specials next year. Similar to the Tenant year of specials.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh I hadn't read the full article, yeah, looks like series 13 is the "6 part event" and two specials, and now one more special added as a departure/regeneration

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LionArcher posted:

This is good but also needless attacks rise of skywalker and gets it wrong.

Rise point isn’t that she’s special from birth. She’s choosing to let go of her past to do the right thing.

"You don't have power, you have HIS power"

Just like in Doctor Who, the main character is revealed to be special not because they made a choice, but because genetics said they were special.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

Instead of dream doctors, how about weird doctors? Doctors whose overall vibe goes in a direction that the show hasn't done yet?

(White guy questions aside...) I'd be interested in seeing what someone like John Bradley West (Sam from Game of Thrones) would be like in the role, though I don't know if he specifically would be up to the challenge.

I'd love to see Ian McShane in a Doctor or Doctor-like role

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A.o.D. posted:

I would argue the Doctor's most defining feature is their Britishness.

One of them, Venkman I think, has a line about not bothering to learn your name since you'll likely quit or run screaming in a few days anyway

Not even sure how that one happened. Nothing to see here

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 30, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Class3KillStorm posted:

I don't know how that's supposed to work, unless they either never directly interact or end up both getting amnesia at the end of it, but I'm excited to see the potential outcome here. Felt like a waste that we never got to see Ten and the Jacobi Master directly interact, in proper character, on-screen, in their one chance to do so before Jacobi regenerated.

It's post-Utopia, so 10 doesn't need to forget about it or anything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Confusedslight posted:

I'm blown away by the amount of big finish Tom Baker has done. The big question is... Is it worth getting into?

Tom himself is always worth the listen--he's clearly having a great time doing it. YMMV on modern big finish writing. Not to be a Debbie downer but a lot of their output lately reminds me of the MCU films. It's fine, but not outstanding or envelope pushing, and a lot of the fun is "characters and/or actors you enjoy making you smile as they interact".

That's not a bad thing, but it's a very specific type of Acceptable

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BIgDevine posted:

Really I see the two as unrelated! One says I don’t like the female doctor, u assumed it’s because it’s sue female, I just think she’s try’s to hard…

Someone stated that going back to a white male would be bad, I said that could be interpreted as a bit racist as the best person for the job should be chosen, I said idris elbra, who’s coloured.

Not sure if your calling me sexist or racist and saying the two have a connection… think you need to read more carefully myself but your welcome to your opinions.

Pro tip--Jodie has a name. Calling her "the female doctor" just makes you sound like a Ferengi.

Also..."colored"????? gently caress right off with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
While I love working from home, losing my commute did completely excise my audio drama listening time from my life. I can't really listen to anything with a narrative while I'm working, I lose the plot and don't retain any of it.