Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Paradise of Death, by Jonathan Morris.

Isn't Paradise of Death one of those atrocious Pertwee audios from the 90s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I was really disappointed when The Witchhunters brought in some aliens at the end, as for the bulk of the story it felt like a proper pure historical!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

DWM this month comes with a free* Target novel!

*not actually free. The cover price has gone up from £5.99 † to £9.99 to cover the cost of the novel.

I feel like this is already very expensive for a magazine.

And rather than being an actual new novel, it's a collection of the opening chapters of the new novels coming out next month.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Colin Baker played the Doctor as more assertive and aggressive (the idea was that the sixth Doctor would mellow out over time), so he was less instantly likable than the grandfatherly charm of some Doctors, or the boyish friendly nature of others. Ratings were still respectable, but dipped from the 70s peak, mainly because they scheduled it against ITV's popular Coronation Street on the other channel, so the BBC put the show on hiatus for a year, and the original planned season was scrapped. The Doctor Who people had a lot of faith in Baker - he was offered the role without an audition, but the BBC didn't.

tl;dr Basically Michael Grade didn't like Colin Baker.

This was an issue, but it didn't happen until 1987 when McCoy became the Doctor and the series moved to Wednesday evenings. Colin Baker in fact had moved back to the regular Saturday night slot after Peter Davison had been moved to various weeknight slots.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Troughton died in 1987. Anyone know offhand when Smith was born...?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

OldMemes posted:

If they ever do a 9/Jack audio, they'll probably have to record separately, because apparently Eccleston doesn't like Barrowman at all.

To be honest, given what he's done behind the scenes (such as repeatedly exposing himself), I'm surprised there's never been any major backlash against Barrowman - this kind of thing could have ruined the career of someone else.

At the same time, it's kinda iffy looking back at the infamous things Troughton and Hines did to Padbury and Watling...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I thought I recalled that Baker and Jamieson had patched things up? By which I mean Tom had apologized for being a piece of poo poo towards her? Maybe I just want to think that because I like Tom Baker so much....

Tom and Louise Jameson had patched things up (I believe they've done some DVD/BR commentaries together), however Tom and Lalla Ward never did - unless they've maybe been willing to work together while social distancing?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

What's this about Barrowman? I honestly don't think I've ever run across any of the behind-the-scenes stuff that involved him. Hell, it's only recently that I found out he and Eccleston didn't get along. Which is a pity, as out of all the stuff in NuWho since its' return, I always liked the brief run we got with Nine/Rose/Jack.

From what I heard, Barrowman had a habit of deliberately exposing himself frequently in front of people (IIRC there was one radio interview where he did it as well), and that had rubbed Eccleston the wrong way.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Payndz posted:

Also, FFS BBC. You end the story on a cliffhanger mystery (someone's stolen the TARDIS!) and then junk a loving Dalek story? :argh:

Blame Terry Nation for withdrawing all the rights, and making the Dalek stories worthless (the repeat of Evil was only squeezed in because they wanted to get some Daleks in at the last minute before the rights ended at the end of 1968).

If you look at the lists of missing episodes purchased abroad, you’ll see a lot of countries didn’t get Power or Evil - all down to Nation not letting the BBC sell them.

When you have a situation like this, what’s the point in keeping them?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Which McCoy/Ace audio follows Colditz? I have a feeling it’s The Rapture, which does have her using the McShane name.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

As I've understood it, it's because she's a criminal who commits crimes because she's a bored spoilt rich woman, rather than for some altruistic reason (like raising money to pay for cancer treatment for her grandmother) - and not the kind of person the Doctor would consider companion material.

Not that I disagree, but IIRC they were going to introduce a safecracker character as Ace's replacement had they made Season 27. Does anyone know whether this character would have been Lady Christina 20 years early, or would she have had some sympathetic back story?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Given the recent unearthing of John Barrowman's history, I wonder how Fraser Hines feels about the pranks he, along with Troughton, pulled on Wendy Padbury and Deborah Watling? Two men (who are clearly the established stars of the show) messing around with their female coworker's clothing while they sleep so that they can embarrass themselves is probably not a good look in 2021, especially since it's a story that he's told with great amusement for decades.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Oh awesome, I was just thinking the other day how odd it was they hadn't done that one yet.

It’s been strongly rumoured (as well as confirmed-but-then-retracted by the Doctor Who Figurine Collection) that the next two animations being worked on are Evil and Abominable Snowmen.

Aside from the already-confirmed Web of Fear: 3...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

When the Beeb did a Doctor Who night in 1999 (where those Pitch of Fear, Web of Caves, etc sketches come from), they rounded out the night by showing the TV Movie. However, they didn’t announce in any way that it was going to be the uncut version, so that turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMI8SxMv2y8

They didn’t announce it, but I know it was said somewhere that it was uncut - probably the Restoration Team forum?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I'm surprised how expensive some Big Finish stuff is. Just was looking for a jumping off point, looked at tenth doctor stuff and its 20-30 bucks each. Is there like a radio station or something that just plays random ones? maybe a streaming deal?

edit: Listened to this not realizing at first it was a fan thing, their fake 9th was really good!

I believe some of their earlier Doctor Who stories have been uploaded onto Spotify - it’s either the first 50 or the first 100 stories.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The "Season 6B" stuff is right up there with Chinball's "Timeless Child" poo poo in the "particularly stupid" stakes, because Robert loving Holmes himself said the only reason the Second Doctor said stuff about doing missions for the Time Lords was because he'd actually forgotten (probably due to his health starting to get bad, and probably also because he wasn't an obsessive DW fanboy who kept a meticulous knowledge of the show's entire history) that it was the Third Doctor they used to send out to do stuff for them.

I can imagine the aneurysm Ian Levine had while they were filming The Two Doctors, since you know this egregious continuity error would have pissed him off immensely, yet it was his beloved Robert Holmes writing it and there was no way he would dare correct him!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That was incredibly awful and again, something the Doctor shouldn't be doing. It's a very jarring contrast from how diverse the Doctor's set of companions are, to take an enemy who's regenerated into someone with a slightly darker skin tone, and use that as a weapon against them. Just a horrible idea all around.

I’ve not seen Spyfall since broadcast, but I didn’t think the Doctor mentioned his colour when leaving him for the Nazis to find. It’s very tone deaf to leave him and something they should have reconsidered after Dhawan was cast, but I didn’t think it was intentionally weaponised.

With this, and the whole making fun of Tzim’Sha’s name, it’s like Chibnall wants to give the image of being woke (female Doctor! Companions of different races!), but deep down he’s not as thoughtful as he appears to be.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Voting Floater posted:

Googled it and apparently it's that Jodie won't be on the cover of the 2022 Doctor Who Annual. Bit weird not to have the current Doctor on the cover, but naturally the press have gone full "Jodie Whittaker set to QUIT after Doctor Who Annual SNUB!!!!!" about it.

To be honest, this is just one in a stream of things where Jodie and the 13th Doctor aren’t being publicized. You’ve had the whole Time Lord Victorious thing which pushed Tennant as its focus and didn’t even involve Jodie, there are two new books coming out; one with Tennant (who is on the cover) and one with Jodie (who isn’t). Even Dr Ruth seems to be getting more publicity for this latest escape room/show thing they just launched in London (aside from the Barrowman issue).

Not that I agree with the claims she’s quitting over this, but if I was Jodie (or her agent), this would be pissing me off. Given the fandom whining about her, the BBC should be making more effort to promote her and support her as otherwise they’re just feeding the critics.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

This really bums me out, as Jackie had intentionally distanced herself from the show (with a few exceptions), but I got the feeling she was opening up to it a bit more and we might have got her to contribute to the blurays.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Tony Selby has died :(

Glitz is off chasing that last grotzig in the afterlife...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Is that from the special program the BBC did when they first aired the 1996 movie? I vaguely remember that, it had Tom Baker presenting, sort of in character, sort of out, lots of archive clips and some bits about the science of the show.

IIRC it’s from the 1999 Doctor Who night on the BBC, which featured a repeat of the 1996 movie, albeit uncut for the first time. It also featured the comedy skits which were released on the Beginning DVD set, including the infamous ‘any fucker with an Equity card’ line which pissed off Colin Baker.

It launched a very short-lived repeat run, where they quickly realized the modern-day audience didn’t have the patience for 7 weeks of Doctor Who and the Silurians, jumped to the 76th repeat of Genesis of the Daleks and shelved the whole thing.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

So, we had a regular season of Doctor Who in 2020, which did not go down well with fans, then an 18-month break, and now it's coming back in the autumn with a complete story spanning the entire season.

Do the BBC still have any shows where annoying teenagers from the Doctor Who fan club can tell the writer how crap he is? And is Jodie going be regenerated off-screen at the beginning of Series 14 (I hope not)?

Joking aside, I'm disappointed we're getting another companion character added to the mix - the last two seasons clearly showed that 3 companions is too much for this current style of Who, so I'm not sure why they decided to do it all over again. Plus I'm still disappointed we were denied a season of Yaz and the Doctor travelling around and having fun together!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the Universe; a white hole returns it.

So what is it?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I love that the first place visited after the randomiser was installed was Skaro.

And straight after that they go to Earth!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

So in blu-ray news, it seems an entry for Season 17 has appeared on a Swiss website.

Which is absolutely fantastic as far as I’m concerned!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Speaking of production mistakes, tonight's random story was Warriors of the Deep. It could have been good if a) the production wasn't poo poo and b) saward hadn't sawarded all over the script after being urged on by ian levine

Levine ruins a lot of things, but at least he allegedly got the script changed so the Silurians didn’t arrive in their spaceship from the planet Siluria...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

BooDooBoo posted:

I got the blu-ray set, and saw it for the first time since I was a kid and it DOES make sense, it's just... they forgot to shoot all the parts, as a joke?

Assuming it’s not included in the ridiculous amount of studio footage, I suspect they didn’t have time to film it and figured it wasn’t worth doing later.

Of course, they should have just gone for the more traditional cliffhanger of Mel screaming as they meet the dragon...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

My guess? All the scenes with the Chumblies are super-cheap to animate.

Plus aside from the regular cast, the only humanoid characters you need to animate are Maaga and a Drahvin (who you can just copy and paste a few times).

And I suppose the guy in the Mission to the Unknown cliffhanger at the end of Episode 4....

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Tomtrek posted:

It's good that Shada's on there but this is the first time they've double-dipped when it comes to blu-rays, isn't it?

Yeah, but at least they have a 6 part Shada as something unique!

Although to be honest I’m happy to see this as a sign that animations will get rereleased, since they never got bluray releases in the US/Canada!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Shiftypenguin posted:

The UK blu-rays work in the US. I have the new Shada release and a few of the Troughton animated blu-rays and have no problem with them. (I view them on a PlayStation, if that makes a difference.)

I’d looked into that, but when I tried ordering it from Amazon, it’s either unavailable (they were blocking international orders), or charging ridiculous shipping.