Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gameko posted:

At this point I prefer original who hands down. I'll take the most boring 2-set Jon Pertwee no budget bottle episode over the debacle that was the 12th Doctor's debut.

What are you talking about, The Pilot owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Payndz posted:

The switch to colour (and also the HD of the day, going from 425 to 625 lines) was expensive for the BBC, as they had to cover the cost of replacing every single piece of video equipment in late 1969 when BBC1 went full colour.

bit mean to take that completely out of DW's budget

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's true. Peter Capaldi is not a Roman.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I honestly feel like Chibnall would be the showrunner to bring back the pure historical. Much more so than RTD and Moffat.

why, just because everything he makes sucks and is boring? or because the one backstory he can't possibly gently caress up is actual history

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zaroff posted:

This was an issue, but it didn't happen until 1987 when McCoy became the Doctor and the series moved to Wednesday evenings. Colin Baker in fact had moved back to the regular Saturday night slot after Peter Davison had been moved to various weeknight slots.

wonder if all this loving around with time slots might have had an impact

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's Jodie, purely from having been let down by the material. I'm sure she has the chops to be a great Doctor but she just hasn't had the writing or directing she needs. All the rest have had at least one great season, and usually the kind of bad material that they can elevate or have fun with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The point of the hybrid is that it didn't matter what it was, and that Bad Wolf style telegraphed ongoing story arcs are stupid and distract you from what's actually going on in the episodes, which might have been a valid point if it wasn't presented as Stephen Moffat laughing at every single one of you dumb sheep who cared about the storyline he intentionally went out of his way to set up and tell you to care about from his position as the lead creative on the show.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I forgot that The Witchfinders existed and when I did remember it I had to put in a lot of effort to stop picturing Robot of Sherwood Forest.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And nobody would have suspected a thing because he has a history of saying things like "I think I'm called Peter Davison in this one". He's so great.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, as someone who only knows the lore from the TV show from late 90s onward, but mostly from 2005 on, the Timelords seem just wrong.
Like they are meant to be these super intelligent species that have attained near enlightenment, until the Daleks gently caress them up, but look to be a military dictatorship.
You have the inner palace city filled with the ruling military, a ghost library complex that will kill you if you enter below them, and then third world desert huts within walking distance. And we only see one city, nothing about the rest of the world.
And all non-military people we do see, supposed time lord citizens, dress like medieval peasants.
They don't seem to be the sort of people the Doctor would be created from.

Well, in the new show you're seeing them after a massive war. They're not at their best.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Depended on the Doctor for a while, but when Four came along they settled into these ridiculous, stuffy, ceremony-obsessed good-old-boys in giant collars. This was the first appearance of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWzrRcSPlKY

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zaroff posted:

I’ve not seen Spyfall since broadcast, but I didn’t think the Doctor mentioned his colour when leaving him for the Nazis to find. It’s very tone deaf to leave him and something they should have reconsidered after Dhawan was cast, but I didn’t think it was intentionally weaponised.

With this, and the whole making fun of Tzim’Sha’s name, it’s like Chibnall wants to give the image of being woke (female Doctor! Companions of different races!), but deep down he’s not as thoughtful as he appears to be.

She doesn't say it out loud, but she says "now they'll see who you really are".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Previous Doctor's have been totally overboard evil too.
Like Family of Blood. Sure they were murderous aliens, all they wanted was immortality.
But imprisoning them forever with nothing they can do, but still awake?
gently caress, thats cold.
But hey, the melodramatic soundtrack and telling of it made it alright!

Yeah and what were they going to do with that immortality? They were practically drooling talking about WWI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB1QX_DJk_U

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I don't want to rewatch it, but what exactly was the plot point that identified The Doctor as The Timeless Child? Was that explicit and firm or was it implied and unreliable?

The Master said it, so it's explicit and unreliable.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

From a VR video supposedly hidden in the Time Lord Citadel.
Sure the Master could be lying that she is the TC, but did he whip up the VR recording she watched too?

It has been pointed out many times but he got that from the Matrix, a plot device whose literal first appearance shows the Master hacking it to show pretty much whatever he likes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bye Chibbers. Good job loving it up for everyone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Now?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I believe we have now encountered the middle of this thread.

Where it goes from sucking to blowing?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Didn't he teach there for like 70 years? Say what you like about Moffat, he was great about leaving gaps for other stories to go later.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

What feels weird is that RTD’s run will start with a 69th anniversary special?

Nice.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I haven't rewatched Spyfall, but isn't the premise that The Doctor has known this guy for some time? I adore the implication that The Master makes a point of befriending The Doctor secretly, and that there may be who knows how many other sleeper Masters out there among The Doctor's allies.

Oh poo poo know what would make an amazing Multi Master story? If a companion, who over their story had been gormless, helpless, or often getting The Doctor into trouble had turned out to be The Master the whole time. If there hadn't been several family/history stories, Yaz would have been beyond perfect for this. And this would be a great mid series story because then for the rest of the series The Doctor could be dealing with deep distrust of everyone they know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg92hfbjyyA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't remember if it was ever posted here but I'm sure it bears being posted again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFOv4nlL88M