Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's too bad, because something like Vincent and The Doctor would have totally worked without the monster. It felt shoehorned in, honestly, like "whelp, suppose we have to have an alien in there somewhere." :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I'm trying to make sense of this but my brain won't let me

I've always said the same about Faction Paradox. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Fourth and final"--I'll believe that if he makes it to Unicron because he's been saying "this was going to be the end but there's so much more I need to do one more volume" since the first. :D

It's fine by me though, because if you haven't read them, his Welles books are great!

Davros1 posted:

But honestly, as pointed above, the real big hit was Michael Grade. Not only did he hate Colin Baker (because Colin had dated an ex of his), Michael Grade flat out hated science fiction, particularly Doctor Who. In fact, when he resumed his post as head of the BBC in 2004, he inquired if it was possible to stop production on the new series of Who, only to be told that it was too far along to stop.

I think he did at least give a backhanded "I suppose I was wrong, this new Doctor Who is successful but I was right to cancel the original" comment after it became an international sensation though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

marktheando posted:

I just watched Children of Earth and the first couple episodes of the one with Bill Paxton.

:same: Literally all I ever watched myself. But CoE more than makes up for the entire rest of the show.

If you have watched no Torchwood and have no interest in it, do yourself a favor and watch Children of Earth.

But be prepared, it is about the darkest and bleakest Doctor Who story ever.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 19, 2021

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Payndz posted:

I just finished my Pertwee run (over the course of about two years) and yes, doooooo iiiiiiiiit. There are inevitably clunkers ('The Time Monster' and 'The Monster of Peladon' spring to mind), but nothing of a 'Twin Dilemma' level, and there are also some genuine greats. There's also the best Master, the Brig, and Pertwee being the most dapper velvet-smoking-jacketed mofo in the universe. Go for it.

If there was an entire season of The Doctor going to weird places in the future and seeing trippy poo poo like in Carnival of Monsters with no high stakes or arcs I would watch it all day.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

POLL:

Best Kangs:

[ ] Red
[ ] Blue
[ ] Yellow
[ ] PEX LIVES

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

A Rick Roll...but probably not the one you expected!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

McGann posted:

Let's just adapt The Holy Terror while we're at it. That story is so bonkers, I love it.

I have to say hearing this idea makes me want it very badly. Hell, let's see Dr Who and the Sea Peoples.

I'll bet they could make up some very interesting Lost Civilization stuff with Doggerland.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Main Range had it's plus and minus points. Sometimes if you wanted to follow a thread of overarcing plot with a given Doctor and companion(s) you had to hunt and peck because they might do 4 in a row, then it bounced to other Doctors and when that one came around again they were doing stories in another point of time with other companions.

OTOH, while the box sets can be fun to get that chunk of continuity, there are times when it was nice to drop $12 on a story for a drive instead of $30 or $40. Or buy 4 stories from 4 different Doctors.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah I don't recall hearing about Eccleston v Barrowman before either. drat shame if it stops the 8 boxsets of 9/Jack/Rose audios I feel I am personally owed by RTD for teasing us with an awesome combo then yanking it away after a couple episodes.

Then again we can probably add it to the stuff "Big Finish Will Never Get To Do"

Get Tom Baker to reprise his role
Get the rights to the New Series
Recast the OG actors for new stories from the 60s and 70s era
Get Eccleston to reprise his role
YOU ARE HERE
Get Eccleston to work with :argh: BARROWMAN!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yes, always happy to get a new one of these :)

The Doctor walking into a room and openly typing up fake papers he then hands over to a guard to explain why he's allowed in the room is an absolutely incredible scene :allears:

Psychic Paper is for scrubs, Psychological Paper is the next level.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Joseph Lidster is running Dark Shadows for BF and doing a good job, and has done well in introducing new characters and advancing the story. With gothic scif/horror he seems to have found his niche. My only complaint is that he has a hangup about recasting which is even odder when you're running an American soap where it's done all the time. DS did it often, sometimes even temporarily!

It limits things because a lot of iconic characters aren't used, and the actors are dying so soon it will be as dead as Blake's 7.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

I used to feel that way, but I love BF's Early Adventures and Third Doctor Adventure ranges, and am looking forward to The War Doctor Begins

Yeah. Like I have probably spent more on Early Adventures than any other line. First and Second Doctors are my jam. I was very skeptical of Trealor but I think he does well.

I want the old actors as long as possible, but if they can't so it or aren't around, audio is second only to books to tell infinite stories. Dark Shadows has a ton of stories they are leaving on the table not having ringers for Louis Edmond and Joan Bennett. And I would pay top dollar for some Barnabas/Julia/Quentin/Professor Stokes globetrotting monster hunting.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OldMemes posted:

Browsing the wiki and apparently there was an unmade pitch in the Moffat era where the Meddling Monk makes Rasputin listen to the Boney M song and the 12th Doctor has to sort it out, and Matt Berry was going to play the Monk, and that sounds all kinds of amazing. I'm surprised Berry has never guest starred in an episode, he'd fit the show really well.

He'd never do it. It could be anyone in that mask!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wow, that sucks. If even half of that is true he's a real rear end in a top hat,

OTOH, Big Finish isn't averse to recasting these days....

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OldMemes posted:

Thank goodness the producers turned down Patrick Troughton's suggestion that he wanted to play the Second Doctor in blackface and a turban (!). It would have taken the fun out of the character entirely.

It would have resulted in that entire era being unavailable to watch outside of some 1990s VHS copies and the erasure of his Doctor from official lists and promotional materials. Probably would have done the same for the entire Hartnell era by association; the show would effectively be considered to start with the color era and Pertwee. No Big Finish and no convention appearances for any of those actors either. The multi Doctor specials would no longer be aired or available to view.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Denying the existence of the showrunner model also means denying Chibnall the full share of the blame and I don't wanna live in that world.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Surprise. I suspect he’ll never appear in Who again. My boyfriend pointed out that RTD has been conspicuously quiet during all this.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new Lives of Captain Jack from Big Finish either. I suspect Torchwood may continue with the other cast and if it doesn't sell it will be quietly sunsetted like they seem to be doing with franchises where all/most of the principle actors are dead, like Blake's 7 and Dark Shadows.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Astroman posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new Lives of Captain Jack from Big Finish either. I suspect Torchwood may continue with the other cast and if it doesn't sell it will be quietly sunsetted like they seem to be doing with franchises where all/most of the principle actors are dead, like Blake's 7 and Dark Shadows.

Whelp called that one. I was looking forward to more Captain Jack stories, but I guess it is not meant to be.

I wonder how far Big Finish will go? Would they pull all of the audios Barrowman appeared in?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So if they are doing Curator stories now...

Could we get a 4/Curator story?!

Could the audio medium handle that much Tom Baker? :swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OldMemes posted:

Plus killing off the Time Lords undermines all the interesting stuff Moffat did with them. Having the Time Lords in a weakened state, wondering where they should go as a culture now is a lot more interesting than 'The Master killed them all off screen somehow'.

Not only that, we haven't seen much of Time Lord/Gallifreyan society since they were brought back. Imagine the Doctor walking the streets of their domed city, instead of going to a barn in the desert or dark rooms, seeing citizens instead of soldiers?

I mean, be careful what you wish for and all, less is more, keep the mystery etc but killing them off again closes all those potential stories.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sylv looking good these days, still pretty spry.

I don't think anyone can top the cool weirdness of pre-Time Lord Gallifrey as portrayed by Mac Platt in Time's Crucible, one of the early Virgin novels. It leans heavily on Andrew Cartmel's Masterplan ideas.

It showed them as being an advanced spacefaring civilization in the distant past, the center of an interplanetary multi-species empire. Heroic adventurers explored, fought monsters like the vampires, they were all telepaths and led by a Priestess-Empress called the Pythia who could see the future. They had a populous, teeming planet of cities and people. Their telepathy was more than what the Doctor and other Time Lords have shown, it was open minds, all the time in a sort of internet. Rassilon was a young scientist from a rich family who was diametrically opposed to the Pythia, believing in science and reason. They were developing their first time travel experiments.

The contrast to their current, ossified observers locked away from the universe like gods is stark and interesting. It is where the much maligned Looms came from but the idea wasn't so the Doctor could be sexless. It was basically that Rassilon and his Science types "won" a pyrrhic victory--they overthrew the Pythia and were no longer chained to her predictions. They invented time travel. But they lost their telepathy, gave up their space empire and connections to the rest of the galaxy, locked themselves inward and became emotionless observers. The Pythia cursed them somehow to be sterile, so only first through Regeneration, and later artificial reproduction (Looms) could they survive as a species, their physical sterility a metaphor for the sterility of their culture and souls. Emotionless, dusty observers.

It was a great explanation for what the Doctor was rebelling against, and the idea that they were once like us a cautionary tale and perhaps why he liked humans so much. I also don't think it is entirely where Platt was going, but it really sets them up as an opposite side of the coin to their Time War enemies the Daleks--the Kaleds also lost everything to "win" at the behest of the creator of their new society.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Humans loved WW1 so much they couldn't wait to do a sequel and we still let them live.

Naw, Clara just rules. Best companion and it's a shame we never got Clara/Ashildr spinoff or anything like we were teased with. IIRC it was mostly due to the outside villainous actions of Doctor Who's greatest meta-foe: the so-called fanbase. I still have a vague memory of someone who claims to have watched this show said they didn't like Clara very much, but they obviously had no good reason for it and my memory after that is hazy but presumably they just started spewing up hateful, inhuman grunts and yelling about how the world is flat.

A lot of people, including people ITT, didn't like Clara at first. That's because of her whole introduction as the "Impossible Girl" and the Ur-Companion from which all Companions have sprung who was retconned into every important event in every Doctor's life. She was brought aboard as the Ultimate Mary Sue, a living story device.

Then with 12 she got to be normal and cool and had a personality and story arc which changed most people's opinions on her, me included.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

That artwork is gorgeous though.

Imagine if they could animate THAT

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zaroff posted:

Tony Selby has died :(

Glitz is off chasing that last grotzig in the afterlife...

drat. I always thought it was such a big miss not having any Sabalom Glitz audios. With how far reaching BF is with getting side characters back, I can only assume he wasn't interested.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Maybe this brush with mortality will convince him to do Big Finish audios.

:agreed:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Sorry, no, I'm not ready for the Doctor actors to be younger than me. I know that time comes for us all, but the moment has not been prepared for

I remember when they announced Matt Smith and I was ITT bitching about younger Doctors and that they'll never cast an older actor again. And I was never happy to be so wrong, because Matt Smith was one of the best Doctors and then we got Capaldi.

I've learned to reserve judgement til I see them in the role.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t like to post exactly where I live, but I guess I just outed myself. I live in one of two cities in the US where they show old Doctor Who at 1:00am on Saturday.

I had no idea it wasn’t being aired nationally. It started last summer with what I guess are the first Tom Baker episodes.

Do they show it as 90 minute edits as God and 80s PBS intended? :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

EXCELLENT!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well this sucks. I don't have much else to add, but I'm really not happy about these developments.

I wanted more Jody, more show, and not this weird uncertainty. Who will take over? Will anyone take over?

I never thought I'd say this but after Chibnall I would be ready for a non-hardcore fan to take over. I mean I liked RTD and even for all his faults Moffat did a lot of cool stuff and he nailed the 50th. But after seeing Chibnall, who I thought would do more of the same...not...well let's just say I am not sure having another guy with a list of "Stuff I Would Do If I Ran Doctor Who" in his pocket since 1985 is a sure win.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

The only thing that the Doctor cannot be is American.

"Lots of planets have an America!" :haw:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I never watch cop shows, but I watched L&O: UK because of Jamie Bamber from BSG and Freema Agyeman from DW and it was great. It was how I was introduced to Bradley Walsh and Ben Daniels, and then of course Peter shows up!

So I would be down with checking this out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

I haven't laughed this hard in forever. Well done.

Whichever showrunner they end up choosing, I hope there's a move away from "revealing the Doctor's REAL past" and a move towards them being nothing more than a madman/madwoman with a box. I loved the ninth season (Capaldi and all the two-parters), but it didn't need the whole "Hybrid" thing tying it together. I just want the Doctor to arrive, raise hell, and leave.

Much like Star Trek Strange New Worlds going episodic, the best change to Doctor Who would be to take away the Doctor's control of the TARDIS. Time Lord intervention, broken parts, Randomizer, whatever. Just make it so they show up, have no idea where they are, mess about, and leave.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Gatiss: I have one unshakeable demand. I am given free access to Jon Pertwee's entire 3rd Doctor wardrobe.
BBC: But they've been stuffed in a cardboard box in a mildewy ro-
Gatiss: Did I loving stutter?

Tangentially, the mildewy room used to house all the 1st and 2nd Doctor film canisters.

***door opens to empty room***
BBC: Oh poo poo, wait, we gave the key to Capaldi...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In lieu of flowers, please send grotzis to the charity of your choice.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

Also I might be cynical, but this seems like it must either be that he has a great idea, or that the BBC were close to putting it back on ice for a while without someone from the revivals most popular series involved.

Betting the terms were:

1) a shitload of money
2) "If you don't come back and do this it's getting cancelled again"

volts5000 posted:

I always felt that RTD's stories were really lacking, but holy poo poo, he could knock it out of the park when it came to character interactions and character dynamics. That's why the best of RTD's tenure were the Moffat episodes. Moffat could write some drat good stories when he was properly restrained. RTD's character direction and Moffat's stories gave us "The Empty Child", "Blink", and "The Girl in the Fireplace".

I'm excited to see a return to RTD directing. I just hopes he gets a good stable of writers.

Moffat back as a writer? :swoon:

I think I preferred the Moffat era over RTD, but that may be because Moffat's highs were so high--I can't imagine the 50th being more perfect, and even if he cheated a bit to ensure he did the New Regeneration Cycle story, it was drat good. But RTD brought the show back perfectly, teasing it as a reimagining, then slowly dropping the continuity in the backdoor. He made it an international mainstream sensation, validating what all us niche scifi nerds knew--that it was a great show that told compelling, imaginative stories. I think on the balance, his seasons were more even than Moffat's.

Remember how literally every bucket list item that RTD, Moffat, and Chibnall checked off was telegraphed by stuff they said or wrote about DW since they were kids? Now if RTD got his old ideas out of the way, I wonder if he's telegraphing his new ones? (I would be 100% down with all these)

Overall I am happy. They had a choice here--roll the dice on another uberfan and hope they get a Moffat and not another Chibnall, or hire a non-fan pro and worry they might ruin it and reimagine it into something unrecognizable. Instead they went an unexpected third way nobody saw coming. Probably as big a shock and pleasant surprise as Star Trek getting Patrick Stewart back (here's hoping the result is...better).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Say what you will about Rusty, when he got bonkers he never failed to be interesting...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's been the most obvious handwave explanation for decades, and the show has gone out of its way multiple times including in the revival to hammer home again and again and again and again and again that the 1st Doctor was... well, the 1st Doctor! Chibnall provided a solution to what nobody but an incredibly tiny percentage of the most hardcore fans thought was a problem in the first place, and his solution was absolutely stupid (and oh yeah what the Master killed everybody on Gallifrey? And the Doctor... is just kinda bummed and then moves on? What the gently caress!?!).

Anyway, the Doctor is being told she is the Timeless Child by The Master - a constant liar - using a device called the Matrix that from its very first story was proven to NOT be infallible as claimed but capable of having records fabricated, and those records were being fabricated by.... The Master! :thunk:

Rule Number 1: The Doctor Lies

Rule Number 1a: The Master can get dizzy walking in a straight line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Confusedslight posted:

I'm slowly starting to embark on a quest that will probably take me my entire life. To listen to all of big finish, and their first release is a Bernice Summerfield adventure. It's a two hour long pantomime which is a bit of a bold choice for a first release let me tell you! 16 min in and I feel if I can complete this, nothing big finish throws my way will stop me!

It does have Nicholas Courtney voicing a cat and he commits 100% which will probably be my highlight.

I'm a bit behind on my Big Finish listening, have they done the obvious one where Benny meets River Song yet?