Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Woah the last thread was the 8th doctor of threads. Didn't last long, however memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gameko posted:

Got a few different recommends above but Narsham was the most comprehensive. I think I'll go back and give the last Capaldi season a whirl too. Might as well! I'll give it a few episodes before abandoning it so I hope it's not front-loaded with the worst stuff.

There are only two definitley weak episodes imo and they come in the middle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think this is one of the few things most people ITT can agree upon. Torchwood was hot garbage.

And all of us have watched every episode of it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The chase in his final story is one of the greatest things ever filmed and aired

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whats the current timeline for more new episodes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just FYI this is why the Romans used the technique of damnatio memorae, because now you're making me really curious about just how loving bad Nekromanteia is and I think I'm going to listen to it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Are there any major (i.e. not geolocked) distribution platforms that sell individual Doctor Who episodes?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They should just recast Captain Jack and not even acknowledge with so much as a remark on the new face. Just like "Oh hey Captain Jack" and the new actor enters and just starts chewing the scenery.

who are your nominations for the Second Captian Jack?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OldMemes posted:

Lisa Bowerman in a wig and no-one acknowledges the gender swap in any way, shape or form.

I love it it is decided. NEXT PROBLEM

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've said this before, but when it comes down to it I'm happy if we get two good to great stories out of every season, and we've been getting that. The problem is the low overall output, and that the middle quartile episodes are so bland, so the journey between those good ones is worse.

Like if there were a person whose only experience of this show was to watch only the best 2 episodes of every series as judged by the thread, they'd not notice that the show had slid.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Spyfall was pretty good too. The reveal was spectacular.

I'm generally positive about The Witchfinders, but I have a weak spot for that period, and Alan Cumming was so good in it. Likewise with the Tesla one. I think they'd be above-median episodes in any series.

Reviewing the stories so far, there are so many where my reaction is "drat that one started strong but the ending was poo poo." E.g. I was super invested in Can You Hear Me? and then just shrugged at the conclusion. And let's not get going about Kerblam! again. Maybe Chibnal needs someone to rewrite third acts for him?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't take it out in public or they'll stick you in the dock and you won't a-come a-back

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Davros1 posted:

Remember, on the very day the Second Doctor, Ben, Polly, and Jamie are investigating the kidnapping of young people at Gatwick Airport in London, London is under siege from The War Machines

Holy poo poo there's a story idea - one in the visible background of another adventure where the later Doctor needs to actually keep out of the earlier continuity while solving the later problem. I'd love to see something where 13 and the gang are stomping around the 1980s English countryside with a purpose and then suddenly UNIT is around in full force, and then a bunch of armed knights run by, and Yaz is like "holy poo poo we need to investigate that!?" and the Doctor is like "no, we need to stay out of that one" and then a castle tower explodes violently in the background, with the Doctor perhaps using that timing to advance her own schemes elsewhere.

I don't think it would work as an audio drama though.

I don't know why I went with Battlefield as an example here. I guess because it is a fairly empty setting with obviously incongruous things happening, its own internal time fuckery, and large explosions in the background?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Clara is hit and miss for me. I think that in the end, her resolution arc of having her brain breaking from travelling with the Doctor and going down a self-destructive path is quite quite good, the path that led to it was a lackluster. By far her best stories are all with 12, and typically they're stories that use the less "special" aspects of the character. Like

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Go watch Mummy on the Orient Express at least, that's good

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not Listen or Face The Raven? They're both good, and they're all about Clara.

I really disliked Clara under 11, but also nearly every one of her stories was either crap or telling weirdly random stories about her. Thin Ice, Hide, Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS, Nightmare In Silver, The Name Of The Doctor... it's a bad run.

Some of her stories in Season 8 aren't great either, like the ones where she puts children in danger while hypocritically going on about duty of care; but that all reads as deeply ironic in retrospect.

Naw I liked those ones. I feel like there was a journey to those points where she was just a bit too perfect. Once she became a bit of a flawed, rounded person I liked her more.

Khanstant posted:

See what I mean? You bring up Clara and Doctor Who haters fall over themselves babbling insane gibberish.

Shut up idiot

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

it looks like an n64 game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Astroman posted:

drat. I always thought it was such a big miss not having any Sabalom Glitz audios. With how far reaching BF is with getting side characters back, I can only assume he wasn't interested.

Sabalom Glitz is a good character and I was hoping that we'd have some throwbacks to him in some way somewhere someday

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BBC make me showrunner you cowards

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Open Source Idiom posted:

What would you do?

I used to be so inspired for Who ideas, I just don't have them anymore.

I'd be significantly hands off and never write or direct an episode myself, instead focusing on script editing and team management. The heart of the show would be an extremely diverse writers room.

At least 80% of the shots per season would be sound stage shoots, to make the process easier for the cast and crew. When script editing, the writer's room would ask for every single any scene or shot, "how can we do this on a sound stage or studio set instead of on location so that our actors don't burn out?"

I'd pull in good directors from the show's past and give some of them opportunities to have auteur projects on the show if they have scripts or concepts to use.

I'd solicit sci fi/fantasy authors, and maybe even some actors, for story concepts or outlines which could be completed by the writers' room. I'd also reach out to Big Finish writers for scripts, concepts, or outlines.

There would be no "Doctor who canon" stories during my tenure, and minimal series arcs. The tone of the show would shift away from being a puzzle box long arc prestige TV format and more towards self-contained episodes with more of standalone shorts thing going on. Having good individual stories will always be subordinate to having series narratives, which will happen mostly through character development instead of through puzzle boxes/recurring villains/apocalyptic threats.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Look right now I'd just settle for there being more than ONE episode in a year :negative:

Is the current status that we're not likely to get a new series til 2022?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My stance is that Chibnall sucks poo poo overall but a couple of A+++ episodes squeak through every series, so I'll watch whatever they throw at me (it's the Harlequin Romance situation, basically).

I'd rather just have it sooner rather than later.

Also giving Chibnall more time to work on it is just more time for him to cook up overwrought dumbass poo poo. I feel as if the cast they have will do better with underwritten material. Put it in their hands, empower them to play with the material a bit, and start filming.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess a particular quirk of me as a viewer, though, is that I follow no other TV series at all. As a consequence, it's not hard for me to find time to watch the one show that I actually follow and to want more episodes of it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't want to rewatch it, but what exactly was the plot point that identified The Doctor as The Timeless Child? Was that explicit and firm or was it implied and unreliable?

Also the concept of "universe lore" is stupid, generally speaking. The world should exist to support the story, not vice versa. If a story exists just to tell you something about the world, it's empty naval gazing. Even Tolkein's most self-indulgent moments of unpublished world construction are still telling more "story" than The Timeless Child stuff does. And all of the fan service/culture/bullshit that surrounds "lore" is toxic baggage.

:corsair:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MULTIDOC JODIE NOW LETS DO IT 13 AND 11 MAKE IT HAPPEN BRING IN 7 FOR FUNZIES IDC HOW OLD HE LOOKS NOW

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Instead of dream doctors, how about weird doctors? Doctors whose overall vibe goes in a direction that the show hasn't done yet?

(White guy questions aside...) I'd be interested in seeing what someone like John Bradley West (Sam from Game of Thrones) would be like in the role, though I don't know if he specifically would be up to the challenge.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Payndz posted:

Jason Statham as the Doctor. Deals with every enemy by covering himself in oil and headbutting it with a snarl of "wankah!"

Wouldn't be the first Cockney Time Lord. "Awright, Feytah Sigmah?"

Delgado was apparently full legit cockney by birth so that's been done

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rtd returning will be bad if he tries just to go back to his earlier work. It will be good if he has moved forward and brings new ideas.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remember when 13 was introduced as a mad scientist engineer inventor and we never saw that again after her first story

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A 12 episode season should have 3 eps by established Who writers, 3 eps by established tv writers who haven't done Who before, 3 eps at least outlined by SF authors who haven't done Who before, and 3 eps by new young writers.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

I think my absolute favorite moment of his Master is when the Doctor first notes that his bad cardio doesn't match his record as a runner. For just a second you see his eyes darting around and you know that in character the Master is scrambling for some kind of clever answer to explain it away and keep up the ruse.... and then there is the glorious moment where he obviously realizes,"Nope, I can't, she's rumbled me.... and NOW I CAN STOP PRETENDING AND START HAVING FUN! :neckbeard:" and he just erupts with glee.

There are a lot of similar moments in the revival with the Master, my favorite of them all is probably still the hungry look in Missy's eyes as she waits for realization to hit the Doctor on who she is, she's been waiting for that moment for sooooo long and she can barely contain herself now that it has finally arrived.

I haven't rewatched Spyfall, but isn't the premise that The Doctor has known this guy for some time? I adore the implication that The Master makes a point of befriending The Doctor secretly, and that there may be who knows how many other sleeper Masters out there among The Doctor's allies.

Oh poo poo know what would make an amazing Multi Master story? If a companion, who over their story had been gormless, helpless, or often getting The Doctor into trouble had turned out to be The Master the whole time. If there hadn't been several family/history stories, Yaz would have been beyond perfect for this. And this would be a great mid series story because then for the rest of the series The Doctor could be dealing with deep distrust of everyone they know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

when does it start?