Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Catching up with the thread.

It makes me so sad how defeated most of us are about this era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just want them to play 13's theme while she does something clever. :mad:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Flight Bisque posted:

let's all watch that now.
Happily!

I came on board in the Moffat era. As much as that last series of Sherlock sucked on toast at the end, I still miss him. He made me feel like I was watching history even though I'd only ever seen Christmas Invasion until the 50th.

Problematic, though? What can I say but yikes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I came out of the closet and decided I wanted to transition Christmas Eve of 2017 in large part due to 12's regeneration into 13.

It hurt SO BAD when one of her first acts was to be like, "your name? Doesn't matter, because I don't like you."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The real salt in the wound is that this ends up playing directly into all the YouTube nazi bullshit, even though the problem is clearly the writing and not Whittaker herself.
I immediately click "don't recommend channel" every time the algorithm feeds me "Why Doctor Who is TERRIBLE now," even though I sort of agree with that sentiment because I don't need more Nazi poo poo being fed to me because Youtube thinks watching videos about social justice means you also want to see racist, sexist douchebags bloviating.

Edward Mass posted:

Joss Chibnall
Or, I don't know, Stephen "I think making a sexy woman be vaguely domme and capable is all the feminism we need" Moffat.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I loved Amy and can't disagree with one point there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I started with Day of the Doctor. Had no idea John Hurt wasn't actually a Doctor from the 80s or something.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know what we don't talk about enough, as fans?

How Matt Smith stood toe-to-toe with Tom Baker and for just one brief moment among the rest of the moments they spent together, Matt Smith blew Tom Fucker Baker off the screen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

"You're the criminal with the blue box!" being gasped by a time bureaucrat absolutely killed me :allears:
I had to pause and take a second at that one myself.

And it's pretty heartening to hang out here as compared to the rest of the Dr. Who fandom because people seem to understand that Jodie isn't at fault for this material.

When Game of Thrones still existed before we decided that it had never happened, you could set your watch to people treating the bad writing of the women on the show as the fault of the actresses.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

I just want Chibnall gone. He has committed high crimes and misdemeanors by utterly wasting Whittaker.
Agreed.

I don't care who plays the doctor. If he's showrunning, it'll suck.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know what is awesome?

There have been no bad doctors. Only bad showrunners.

No franchise has a "no bad main characters" like this one. Literally none. Not a single one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Flight Bisque posted:

The first thing any new show runner should do is bring back Chris Noth's character long enough for him to get some (ANY) comeuppance and then 86 him for good.

I don't know why that sticks in my craw so bad.
Pretty sure I do.

Or is that :thejoke:?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I maintain that having the aristocracy steal their specialness from somebody else in a mind-boggling violation of their autonomy, then lying about it was fertile ground for both social commentary and storytelling, but the way he did it was just yeeeeeesh.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

No Are You Being Served or Red Dwarf? That’s all I ever knew of British tv until college.
Seattle's PBS station played TONS of Red Dwarf.

It has a giant fanbase here.

I never saw any Doctor Who, though, so I'm not sure how much of it we had access to.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wait. Wait. Wait. Hold up.

Richard E. Grant played The Doctor?

What's the story there?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Not sad to see Chibnall go, miserable to see Jodie Whittaker leave :sigh:
Me too. :sigh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thandie Newton, Ruth Negga, Hayley Atwell, Abigail Thorn, Chris Barrie, Natalie Tena, Aidan Gillen, or Nicolas Hoult.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really can't stress enough that in most publications, article writers don't pick their headlines.

Maybe they did here, maybe they didn't, but I wish more people knew this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

....a WHITE hole!?!
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the Universe; a white hole returns it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't know what the hell Capaldi was smoking with that one.

Watching The Doctor bounce off themselves is always wonderful fun.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One of my friends brought this thing I made back to my attention earlier tonight, so gently caress it. You all have to remember too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwB2MBJXsvk

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was such a naïve little Whovian that I assumed we'd actually have The Doctor go hunting for Gallifrey after DotD.

I also thought we'd get an episode where Twelve got the call to go participate in the special. :doh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Well Manicured Man posted:

I really think Series 5 was the most consistently good the revival has ever been, up until Series 10. Moffat was firing on all cylinders back then.
A lot of bands have a terrible second album if they have a banger of a debut effort, and it makes perfect sense when you think about it. You toil in obscurity for years before you get your big break, so you have all that time to develop your music and workshopping it at shows, so when your break comes, you have an album's worth of polished material. If that's a big hit your label wants a quick turnaround to strike while the iron's hot, so you wind up with all your B material and some hastily-written stuff.

Series 5 was Moffat's first album and it's actually pretty remarkable that series 6 was as good as it is and entirely unsurprising that series 7 was so absolutely uneven.

Rhyno posted:

Is there a better new Doctor debut than Eleven?
No, and it's not close in my opinion.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Still can't believe the dreadful Planet of the Dead was followed up by something as loving incredible as Waters of Mars. That really was RTD in a nutshell, the best of times and the blurst of times.
True. I can't wait. :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

On that note, I'm actually thankful that they're bringing back somebody who's perfectly fine with the series being silly.

Doctor Who doesn't need to be prestige drama. It's for children and that's okay.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The politics of Ker-blam are loving horrifying.

Definitely right up there with "don't take your meds" from In the Forest of the Night, which was somehow seven loving years ago and I'm older than dirt.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

Why the hell did the Doctor just straight up kill the dude? Could've just had the delivery bots deliver to themselves and that's it.
Right?! What I really want from Doctor who is the following:

"Oh no, X!"

Doctor does Thing in background that's confusing to viewer.

This is a morally ambiguous situation! We have to do either Y or Z about X and both options are morally awful!

Doctor continues doing Thing as companions weigh the options.

Doctor makes a big discovery about Thing, bringing it to the attention to the companions, runs somewhere and does something clever, her theme music plays (!), and it turns out Thing was the key to a third choice about X that's a net good for everybody.

Wrap up, credits, Next time on...

And this happens very little in the Chibnall era, so between this, wasting Jodie Whittaker, and The Timeless Child, I've been a very sad Whovian of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Payndz posted:

Casting a "who?" for Who gave us Tom Baker and Matt Smith, so they shouldn't be afraid to do it. But these are risk-averse times for the BBC, and RTD has a record of casting people he's worked with before, so I would have zero surprise if it was someone from Years And Years or It's A Sin.

Who's the most famous person to be cast as the Doctor? I'd guess Peter Davison, Christopher Eccleston or Peter Capaldi, with Davison probably the most mainstream-famous from All Creatures Great And Small.
From an American perspective, it'd be Capaldi by a country mile.

Edit: Y'know, after I posted this, I asked myself why I think this, and it's not based on anything real. Nevermind.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 11, 2021