Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I'm here for RTD era 2.0. His seasons were enjoyable trainwrecks that whiplashed back and forth between maudlin and zany, and it feels like it might be a good time for that, when the season comes out in like 2025? And sure, he can hire Moffat back to write one episode per season in which it turns out it's a simulated world, some kind of childish rhyme repeats itself and gains new horrible meaning with each iteration, and in the end everybody dies, but also lives forever, etc.

I don't think the timing is right for a Doctor Who multiverse, though. We're already so oversaturated with that kind of thing now every streaming service needs three inter-related shows to capitalize off of existing franchises, and the SJA/Torchwood success, if you can call it that, seems like it was probably just a fluke. I'd be down for one anthology show that revisits past companions, Doctors, or locations and employs a diverse array of writers. I'm still gonna fuckin' watch it if they just get Matt Smith back and do Eleventh Doctor Adventures or whatever, though, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BIgDevine posted:

I’m not to keen on the female doctor I think she tries to hard.

You really couldn't think of a better way to put this? lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whatever RTD's problems were, one thing he did do well was uncouple the series from tiresome continuity while still keeping the door open for all the familiar things to come back. It seems like he wants to turn the show into a franchise, so he's probably not as interested in a big "soft reset" like the Time War, but if the Timeless Child thing doesn't appeal to him, he'll definitely find a way to write it out.

I still haven't seen the episode - it sounded so bad, I thought I'd wait until there were a few other episodes of Doctor Who to watch after it so I wouldn't be waiting around on a bad note.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Sacha Dhawan is a very decent actor, and I’ve followed him with interest over the years (teenage crush ahoy), and his work as the Master is definitely more interesting material than what Whittaker has to work with. However, playful with a very short fuse and sudden psychopathic anger is just the John Simm playbook again.

I might be stepping in it here but I think John Simm is probably the second worst Master (Eric Roberts was probably the worst)? He's a little better when he returns in Capaldi's era, but it's a big, scenery-chewing kind of role and I never felt him commit the way that Michelle Gomez, Sacha Dhawan, Derek Jacobi, and CGI Snake did. Admittedly he didn't have the best material to work with, but it's not like Anthony Ainley did either, and he was still fun to watch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

OldMemes posted:

I do find it interesting that the Master's 2nd to 12th incarnations are basically still a mystery, and the Master regenerated into a decayed 14th incarnation out of pure spite.

do we know that Delgado was the first? I always figured he was toward the end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Delgado was the 13th Master, the first Master was that little kid we saw in Last of the Time Lords.

Ah, yeah, fair enough. I guess he does count, even if we only sort of saw him for a couple of seconds.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Going back to a white guy would feel kinda regressive

Yeah, I don't think Russell T Davies, of all people, is going to go that route. Bold bet but probably not a good one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Now that they're finally letting people keep their natural accents, I'd love for it to be someone from Ireland, but it's just because some of the brogues remind me of family. I think I'm going to refrain from picturing actors in the role, though, because really what I want is for them to pick somebody that I've never heard of and then get blown away when they take over the role. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Payndz posted:

Casting a "who?" for Who gave us Tom Baker and Matt Smith, so they shouldn't be afraid to do it. But these are risk-averse times for the BBC, and RTD has a record of casting people he's worked with before, so I would have zero surprise if it was someone from Years And Years or It's A Sin.

Who's the most famous person to be cast as the Doctor? I'd guess Peter Davison, Christopher Eccleston or Peter Capaldi, with Davison probably the most mainstream-famous from All Creatures Great And Small.

Yeah, fair enough, if they're going with a familiar showrunner, they're probably going to go with a familiar face too.

I wasn't around for Davison's pre-Doctor Who stuff, obviously, but Capaldi feels like he was probably the most well-known? Whitaker was certainly a known quantity and obviously Eccleston has done a ton of work, but Peter Capaldi feels like he's been in everything for about a decade.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Russell T. Davies: Now, I want to warn everyone before I make this announcement that the next Doctor is indeed another white man, but trust me when I tell you that we couldn't pass up this opportunity. I'm pleased to announce that the Fourteenth Doctor will be none other than... Patrick Troughton! Yes, I know Mr. Troughton has been "missing" for awhile, but our good friend Phillip Morris was able to recover him from a cannister in Nigeria.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno, it feels weirder when you're dealing with an immortal psychopathic shapeshifting time travelling immortal alien cannibal. Would it be so bad if the Master was killed by racists?

You do not, under any circumstances, gotta give it to the Nazis

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On the whole, Doctor Who is a very silly show about a trickster who defeats evil with the power of love, sometimes very literally, and who refuses to choose between two morally ambiguous choices, so it's tonally weird when the character does something like watch ruthlessly as a big pile of spider babies drown while their mother begs for their lives, casually notes that he couldn't save the Ood like they weren't that important anyway, leaves their oldest friend to be killed by the Nazis, etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Idris Elba is an absolutely incredible dramatic actor, but the only comedy I've ever seen him do is The Office, and that's as a straight man. Could be that I've just missed his more whimsical roles. I sure as hell would never object to seeing him as Doctor Who, but the franchise he would have been best for is James Bond IMO. He's pushing 50 so we'll probably never see it at this point.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I stand corrected on his comedy chops, then.

BooDooBoo posted:

He would have been an amazing Bond, I hope they put him with Daniel Craig in something Knives-Outish, I think they'd work so well together.

Hell, if the sequel to that does well enough for them to make more, he can just be in a Knives Out 3. Netflix paid a lot of money for the rights, I'm sure they'd like it to continue for awhile.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Billie Piper is about the same age as Jodie Whitaker and I am sure she has grown as an actor since her time on Doctor Who, but I'm not sure if I can ever take her seriously again after they made her try to do that accent in Penny Dreadful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

I seen every single episode of Doctor who, reconstructions and all and still have no desire to watch the Timeless child.

lol yeah. I will just before the new season comes out but it was a real enthusiasm dampener.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

You're welcome, it truly is the worst I could think of

Please offer a warm welcome to our new head writer, Philip Martin!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Someone with buttons get that guy.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It has a ton of interesting ideas that are let down by some of the worst execution in the programme, but if you can get past that it's pure gold babeee

It's pretty hard to get past the execution though. It's definitely the direction and Eccleston tries to just ignore it, so it's like he's acting in a completely different show from the rest of the cast.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

C.Bakes is such a sweet and wholesome fella :unsmith:

Yeah.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Eight version of Shada is cool because it's like the slightly more professional version of that thing they do at cons sometimes where the Doctors get to read each other's monologues. I'd pay the not sale prices for a Big Finish line that's just "Six does this Four story" type of stuff. It'd be impossible, of course. Rights issues, actors not wanting to disrespect someone else's performance, etc. It's one of the cool things about Shada being in the weird limbo that it's always been.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Honestly, if an "alien ship" crashed into Congress and a bunch of Congresspeople died, I'd probably believe it was an ill-fated and dangerous prank perpetrated by some of the dumber, more powerful Congresspeople. It actually sounds more likely than aliens.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I feel like that has to be for some kind mobile Gacha? What on earth? lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Suddenly understand what the Simpsons experienced with those Gabbo commercials.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bunch of Sontarans sauntering in with the card game while the Doctor and companions groan and prepare to hide again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tomtrek posted:

The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine has a feature about the upcoming series which has revealed some designs for the monsters. It's from an official source but spoilered just in case:

https://twitter.com/gbsheard/status/1448579934964834311

The Sontarans are back and have been redesigned, and they look... really good???? Much closer to the original Time Warrior design, it looks like.

I don't think the Sontarans can be scary anymore to be honest. They overdid the joke, but it was absolutely right when Stephen Moffat used them for comedy. I hope there's a huge build up where the Doctor tells everyone how dangerous they are and then they just trip over a pool chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That "Karvanista" picture is 100 percent just a Wookie lol