Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

For real?
Yes. Steel Battalion, the mecha game with its own custom 40+ button controller that cannot be played any other way. The mecha game that is so dedicated to being a simulation that it wipes your save file if you don't eject from the cockpit before it explodes.

We're playing that.

Bullshit, I don't believe you
The evidence says otherwise.

Anyway.

Explain Steel Battalion
Steel Battalion (Tekki in Japan, which translates to Iron Knight) is a mecha game developed by Nude Maker and Capcom for the original Xbox. Obviously I alluded it it in the earlier preamble, but this game is most notable for its controller, made of four different blocks containing various buttons, pedals, and sticks. Because of the size and nature of this controller, the game itself is considerably expensive and hard to find. Well, simply deciding to forgo getting the whole package at once and just tracking down the controller is a lot easier, and that is how I ended up with the idea of LPing this game. The basic synopsis of Steel Battalion is that it takes place in the year 2080, warfare is conducted with 24 meter tall mecha known as Vertical Tanks (VTs), and the main antagonist is the southeast asian territory of Hai Shi Dao, which withdraws from the Pacific Rim Forces to seek independence, only to use it as an excuse to aggressively reacquire all of its foreign assets. There's not a whole lot else to it, you're simply fighting as a member of the PRF pushing back against the Hai Shi Dao army's aggressive tactics. This game actually has two campaigns that take place one after the other, but as you'll find a lot of the content in the second campaign feels more like a remix of previous missions and events.

The game doesn't concern itself all that much with its story or characters (of which there are barely any), but it focuses all on its main priority of being the most indepth simulation of piloting a giant robot made by a Japanese dev. Obviously Battletech centers have existed in the past and Mechwarrior gives fans of BT its own brand of simulation to endulge in, but Steel Battalion's approach really takes the cake as far as home console games go. The game's controller has as many buttons as it does because they all have their uses for something. Even for things that would otherwise be automated in another game like windshield wipers or a fire extinguisher. Everything's arranged in a way that's initially overwhelming but makes enough sense that this could be conceived as a legitimate controlling method for what is essentially a tank on legs. With a variety of VT types and weapons, along with multiple difficulty levels, the game provides a lot of hours to get good with the controls and feel like an honest to god mecha pilot. It's something really special.

What is the format?
Single mission per video, as to be expected because of how involved these missions can get, but the presentation is gonna be something slightly difference. I know that the game can't really be played or emulated in a way that doesn't involve the Steel Battalion controller, so just raw footage captured by me would be more than enough proof that I actually have the hardware to use it. However, I still feel incentivized to show off the controller in action for each mission, so for each update of the LP I'll be posting two versions of the same video. If you want to see just the game footage on screen while Kaboom Dragoon and I do our usual poo poo, you may do so. But if you want all that, along with camera footage of me using the controller synced up with the gameplay, there's also that option as well. Along with the dual video format, as this is a mecha game with lots of units and weapons to use, each one will get a write up in that video's update in the thread. The game gives you plenty of options even out the gate for what stuff you want to bring into the field, so the write ups will be primarily for whatever gets used for the first time in a video.

Contents

-----
Controller Cam Playlist
Non Controller Cam Playlist
Personal Website

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

PROLOGUE

Our story begins with a conceit all too familiar for anyone who's seen a good number of mecha anime: getting in the goddamn robot for the first time while under attack. This prologue portion of the game is one of the very few times the game bothers to convey some type of story that isn't solely through mission briefing screens. It's a simple start, and it's just enough to let you get a taste for how amazing piloting a VT is, and that it's only scratching the surface of what you'll be able to do with it.

Also, while future updates will have the option to pick a version of the video that has controller cam or not, I've made it mandatory to see it for this prologue mission. Because between seeing it in action as well as demonstrating its features within the in-game calibration menu, there's a lot that still needs to be processed at a somewhat slow pace before Mission 1 onward has me going straight to top speed.

Decider
The DECIDER is a first generation midsize VT. It's an excellent all-round VT that can handle just about any battlefield. Its balancer performance and easy handling makes it a well-balanced model.
-----
The starting Vertical Tank, and the one you'll likely want to stick with for the duration that you end up using 1st Generation VTs for. There are others, but the Decider is very well balanced for what it is, no doubt in part to the weapon selection it has by default covering all sorts of bases. Not to mention the ability to hold two extra fuel tanks which can be useful when on long missions.

315mm Smooth-bore Gun (315-sb)
It fires low-trajectory APFSDS ammunition. It also has a longer range of fire, when compared to the rifle.
-----
A simple yet effective rifle that exemplifies the core difference between main arms and side arms. For the early game, you want this or any similar derivatives when dealing with another VT or mid size mecha enemies like the Giraffes. Using this on tanks or other small targets is overkill.

120mm Heavy Machine Gun (120-MG)
This is a more destructive weaon than the Chain Gun. Although, it has a high rapid-fire capability, it does not fare well as an Anti-VT weapon. However, it's very effective against mobile support cannons.
-----
Not much more that needs to be said based on the description. If you're on a mission that has you dealing more with cannons or non mobile installations, it's good to have a heavy machine gun with you.

67mm Chain Gun (67-CG)
It has a very high rapid fire capability and shoots small ammo-piercing ammunition. Since its firepower is relatively small, it's an ineffective wewapon against VTs. However, it's very effective against AFVs and Assault Helicopters.
-----
A companion weapon to the 315 as it is more effective at dealing with the targets that are anything weaker than a VT or other mechanized weapons. Of course, since smaller targets do not get picked up by the lock on function, being frugal with this gun's ammo requires very accurate manual aiming.

Alc205 Plasma Torch (205-PT)
Designed especially for close combat with VTs, this weapon is very destructive and has the advantage of being able to take down an enemy with a direct hit.
-----
A reliable melee weapon to use when it's just you and another VT. When active your VTs targeting and weapon functions are all disabled, save for the PT itself. While it's not a one hit kill weapon like the description suggests, it does knock down any VT target with 100% consistency. And because enemy VTs take a while to get back up again, that gives you plenty of time to switch back to other weapons and wail on them until they explode. It's also a really great speed running tool as it always pushes you forward at high speeds and can be used repeatedly. Just don't use it while you're about to tip over.

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 17, 2021

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Good luck and god speed to you mad gentle goon

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ever since I heard about this game and its controller, I always wanted to see someone LP it

I'm very pumped :unsmith:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Never heard of this but it sounds interesting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oh yeah, I remember seeing this game at E3 ages ago and just gawping at the insane controller it had. Also giggling at the ejection button with a flip cover for that part.

This is going to be interesting.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Man this hit at the exact time of my annual search for a Steel Battalion LP. I'm strapped in :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I remember when one of my friends picked this up and invited me and some other buddies over.

One of them sat down in front of the controller with eyes wide and full of excitement. An hour later, we asked him if he wanted to plug in the controller and actually play the game.

For that hour, the only words he said were "Buttons!" and "Switches!"

He went on to be the best pilot out of all of us, to the point that he even preferred some of the older VTs due to their armaments, and basically did missions the game expects you to do with later gen VTs with a 1st gen.

Meanwhile, I could never figure everything out.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The calibers on these weapons are insane. A 120mm machine gun, not an auto cannon but a machine gun? Ridiculous. I can't wait to see more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There was apparently a second SB released in Japan only, which barely anyone was aware of.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I know there was a second one released in the USA with a more compact controller, too.

At least, I think it was another game. I just remember seeing the newer controller with just as many switches and buttons and knobs and pedals and fiddly bits (so many fiddly bits) but more compact.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

There was apparently a second SB released in Japan only, which barely anyone was aware of.

I swear it was a VR extravaganza complete with a high fivable crewmate.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I remember they tried to release a new one to capitalize on Microsoft's incredibly newfangled (and jank) Kinect software. As you would expect, considering Kinect's general quality... it was bad. Honestly I wouldn't mind another attempt at this formula using VR, provided they put a nonzero amount of effort into it unlike Heavy Armor (the Kinect game).

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

RBA Starblade posted:

Shei-kun posted:

I know there was a second one released in the USA with a more compact controller, too.

At least, I think it was another game. I just remember seeing the newer controller with just as many switches and buttons and knobs and pedals and fiddly bits (so many fiddly bits) but more compact.
You're thinking of Steel Battalion: Line of Contact, which did come out in the US and the controller was re released for it with blue buttons instead of green ones. Pretty much the size and functionality stayed the same, it just got a slight aesthetic change.

Speaking of Line of Contact, that's gonna be shown off halfway through the LP because while it was a multiplayer only sequel, it has not stopped people from using XLink Kai to play the game online through System Link.

And just to get ahead of it, no, the Kinect game will not be shown off. Not even for a single video. Its brokenness is already known, and even then I struggle to really say it could have carried the SB legacy even if it DID work.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Goddamn, this is cool. Looking forward to more!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
One of the coolest games I've never played, i wish i had the cash to buy this game when it came out.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Yes

good

I needed this in my life

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This was a game I wished I had owned when I was a kid.

Like aspirational game owner goals when I was young.

Glad to see and LP, and yes we need to see the controls, Thats the point of that drat controller set up.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
For me, Steel Battalion was a lot like how boats are described: The happiest days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Oddly, I also kinda regret selling it now. At the time, it was the right move. It was a fun game, but I was living with 2 roommates, so I couldn't really have the controller all assembled and hanging out taking up space, so every time I wanted to play it, I'd have to set it up, play, then tear it all back down and pack it up. Made it a real pain the rear end to play, so I didn't play it as much as I would have liked. But now that I have an 8 year old son, he would just LOVE flipping all the switches and pressing all the buttons (and with a modded Xbox, you can load a trainer to unlock all the missions and VTs so you can just do free play).

Looking forwarding to seeing more of this game that I never really go to give it the time it needed.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Wa11y posted:

[E]very time I wanted to play it, I'd have to set it up, play, then tear it all back down and pack it up. Made it a real pain the rear end to play, so I didn't play it as much as I would have liked.

Spoken like someone who's never played a board game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Shei-kun posted:

I remember when one of my friends picked this up and invited me and some other buddies over.

One of them sat down in front of the controller with eyes wide and full of excitement. An hour later, we asked him if he wanted to plug in the controller and actually play the game.

For that hour, the only words he said were "Buttons!" and "Switches!"

He went on to be the best pilot out of all of us, to the point that he even preferred some of the older VTs due to their armaments, and basically did missions the game expects you to do with later gen VTs with a 1st gen.

Meanwhile, I could never figure everything out.

See, stories like this are what fascinated me about Steel Battalion when I heard about it, and since. Like, it's got an immense barrier to entry, but it definitely seems like a pretty immersive simulator, especially since your friend apparently was doing exactly the kind of thing a character in a real robot anime would do, specializing in older models rather than upgrading to the hot new prototype.

EDIT: By the way, it'd be cool to see the controller again during missions that make heavier use of the middle block, I'm curious how it actually plays when you have to do a lot of communicating, play around with the function buttons, or put out fires/clean the camera.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 17, 2021

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
You are a madperson and a saint, I hope that this gets finished and archived because the only videos I've seen apart from very short gameplay is this one vid of all of the cockpit animations, which is pretty f-ing cool regardless.

EDIT: It is also amazing that your starting weapons are essentially a pair of tank guns and a naval cannon.

Gideon020 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 17, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I wonder how heavy that controller is, whoever was swinging for that project had to call in favors for the business case to pass.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SIGSEGV posted:

I wonder how heavy that controller is, whoever was swinging for that project had to call in favors for the business case to pass.

This isn't too far off the mark. The producer, Atsushi Inaba, faced a lot of skepticism from his superiors during development, due to the complex controls. Steel Battalion is actually a very interesting case in the games industry, as the controller was the first piece to be designed, and the whole project was meant to create a new peripheral, and then software to go with it (which explains the barebones story and general lack of focus on anything but the giant robot simulation).

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's about what I figured, I wonder how modular it is, otherwise I can't really see a lot of reuse for that mech startup panel.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SIGSEGV posted:

That's about what I figured, I wonder how modular it is, otherwise I can't really see a lot of reuse for that mech startup panel.

Well, if you mean just remapping the controls for other kinds of simulations, that's as easy as just programming it in. That said, Steel Battalion kind of has its own custom drivers and poo poo for its controller, which is why you need to do a little hacking to get the controller+chatpad workaround Borealis mentioned working. This is likely because even with a controller and chatpad that could be used for the various buttons and switches, you've also got a third stick, radio tuner, and three pedals, which work in ways that can't be perfectly emulated by buttons, so you'd need your own software to detect them.

If you mean, can the different blocks be removed and reused for other things, well, it looks like the main panel is all one piece, but the pedals can be detached.

Also, I'm actually very curious, if you hooked up the controller and played a non-Steel Battalion game, do some of the buttons/sticks actually serve as the regular Xbox controls? Like, does the console assign them default functions? Or is it just complete dead weight when not used for this specific game? Like, IIRC, stuff like the Donkey Kong bongos and Guitar Hero controllers would work (sort of) like normal controllers when used for other games, just with fairly inconvenient mapping (without modding), so I wonder if that applies here.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

EclecticTastes posted:

Also, I'm actually very curious, if you hooked up the controller and played a non-Steel Battalion game, do some of the buttons/sticks actually serve as the regular Xbox controls? Like, does the console assign them default functions? Or is it just complete dead weight when not used for this specific game? Like, IIRC, stuff like the Donkey Kong bongos and Guitar Hero controllers would work (sort of) like normal controllers when used for other games, just with fairly inconvenient mapping (without modding), so I wonder if that applies here.

It's such a gorgeous controller I wonder if it might be possible to map it to PC somehow. Use keymapping software and have the mother of all sim-game joysticks. Something like this would be tremendous fun for Elite Dangerous, and of course KSP already has people making dedicated hardware switchpanels for it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

It's such a gorgeous controller I wonder if it might be possible to map it to PC somehow. Use keymapping software and have the mother of all sim-game joysticks. Something like this would be tremendous fun for Elite Dangerous, and of course KSP already has people making dedicated hardware switchpanels for it.

Oh there are already tutorials for doing exactly this, though it requires a fair number of steps to set it up. For one thing, you'll need an Xbox-to-USB adapter. As for the actual drivers, there are two methods I've found with a quick Google search:

-This one, which requires you to force your way past Windows 10's nannyware to install a custom-made driver.

-This one, which looks like you'll be doing a lot of the work yourself, manually scripting the controller's functions to work with this arbitrary peripheral emulator (or hunting down a script made by someone else and hoping that the mapping is satisfactory).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

I was thrilled by this and immediately looked up the price of a controller on eBay....£300 used. Well over £900 for in-box.

Maaaaaybe not just now. But it's nice to know the option is there!

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

I was thrilled by this and immediately looked up the price of a controller on eBay....£300 used. Well over £900 for in-box.

Maaaaaybe not just now. But it's nice to know the option is there!

Don't expect them to get any cheaper. People know how rare this stuff is.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Given the cottage industry that's sprung up around making custom game consoles, it may be possible to get a reproduction of the Steel Battalion controller made as a custom order for less than it would cost on eBay, and it would mean you could have it be USB-compatible from the start, and even just have the controller be detected as a keyboard/gamepad/whatever with the various doodads just mapped to whatever keys and stuff are used for the game. You could probably even adjust poo poo and optimize it specifically for your own preferences and, uh, hmmm...

Yup someone totally did a tutorial for this.

Something tells me paying someone to do that for you will run you less and get you better results than digging up a Steel Battalion controller.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, if you mean just remapping the controls for other kinds of simulations, that's as easy as just programming it in.

Oh, I meant not every game is gonna need you to follow that specific start up sequence thing and there's a panel dedicated to it, so replacing it with a panel to control your potential spacemech's spaceradar might have been floated during the controller construction.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
As someone who is already a fan of pretty complex simulators, this is one game I always wanted to play just because of its reputation.
Seeing it in action in the Prologue video with the controller camera in addition to the actual game just reinforces that I would have absolutely loved playing this. :allears:
I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the game is like.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

For my part, this is the kind of game I'd have loved right up until the moment I actually tried playing it. I love quirky, innovative stuff, but I don't have great reflexes and when poo poo gets too busy I end up getting wrecked. It's why I bounced off of both Armored Core and Daemon X Machina despite giant robots being extremely my jam, they both just had too much going on and, not being a Newtype IRL, I had trouble processing all the onscreen information at once and reacting accordingly. What I need is a super robot cockpit simulator, so I only need to fight one or two enemies at a time and there probably wouldn't be quite as many buttons.

Hm. Now I wish Steel Battalion had been a bigger success so that when Capcom was licensing the Harvey Birdman game they could have done one for Megas XLR, too. Now there's a cockpit peripheral I'd have loved to see.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

Hm. Now I wish Steel Battalion had been a bigger success so that when Capcom was licensing the Harvey Birdman game they could have done one for Megas XLR, too. Now there's a cockpit peripheral I'd have loved to see.

I think if you hook up a wheel to, say, MechWarrior you'd get a similar experience

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

I think if you hook up a wheel to, say, MechWarrior you'd get a similar experience

"Is also a car" is by far the least idiosyncratic element of Megas' control system. I was thinking more like "buttons for increasingly more excessive amounts of missiles*", "dozens of ridiculous weapons activated seemingly at random by fiddling with various buttons and knobs", and "even the car controls aside from the steering wheel and pedals do crazy poo poo".

*Okay the Catapult could get this one done in Mechwarrior but it can't wrassle or let you blow people up with karaoke.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Space Kablooey posted:

??!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl35QCbMi-c

I am not so sure of that!

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

It would also be something supremely mind-bending to look at since the controls on the MEGAS are arranged by the Power Of Plot Convenience.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Gideon020 posted:

It would also be something supremely mind-bending to look at since the controls on the MEGAS are arranged by the Power Of Plot Convenience.

I figure you just make a car dashboard and add some buttons, knobs, levers, and switches, and have their functions be highly unclear (like, what the buttons do being determined by the specific configuration of the levers, switches, and knobs), and that would pretty much capture the general feel of piloting Megas. It'd basically be one of those Fisher-Price toys for toddlers but as a game peripheral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A Steel Battalion-style controller with little LED screens next to the buttons that offer new options or weapons based on how much Spiral Energy/Getter Rays/Plot Hax you're channelling at any given moment would be the only acceptable way to do a true game based on a super robot show.