Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Fast food sponsorship - scan a receipt and your power goes up based on how greasy your food is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
HAI SHI DAO Amphibious Operation

First proper mission of the game, beginning the fight back against the Hai Shi Dao. It's also the first mission you can access in the game's Free Mission mode, and for how simple it is, it's a really good one to mess around with new VT units when you obtain them. For now, using a lightweight 1st gen unit like the Falchion is more than fine. As long as you stick to a consistent route through the beach and destroy key targets, this mission is typically over in around 5 to 6 minutes.

Falchion
The FALCHION is a first generation lightweight VT. It is an excellent model having superior mobility and also air-borne descent capability. Although it has its drawbacks on the defense side, pilots can expect high results depending on their skills.
-----
The first lightweight VT you gain access to, immediately after the prologue. In terms of stats it is slightly worse than the Decider aside from a higher top speed and better turning. Aside from lower weight limits and being only able to carry one extra fuel tank, it can accomplish a lot of these early missions with about as much efficiency as the Decider already does.

200mm Assault Rifle (200-ar)
Although its range is limited, the rapid self-loading system promises the highest rapid-fire cabability.
-----
Honestly, the ammunition is a bigger limitation than the range considering 1.5K is the average for a lot of these rifles. With only two magazines of 20 bullets each, being able to fire 5 shots in rapid succession is great if you're reserving it for only VTs and other high priority targets. Still, its fire power combined with the quick firing rate really makes it worth using from time to time.

270mm Rifle (270-ri)
It fires low-trajectory armor-piercing ammunition.
-----
I really don't know what else could be reasonably added to this beyond the already terse description. It's a lower caliber than something like the 315-sb, and that's because this rifle is meant more for the lightweight class of VTs which don't gain access to that gun. In short, treat it the same like you would the 315.

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 24, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can external fuel tanks be discarded, and does doing so have any in game effect?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
drat if this wouldn't make a sicknasty VR game.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

White Coke posted:

Can external fuel tanks be discarded, and does doing so have any in game effect?

Yes, the externals can be dumped and the in-game effect is that if you fail to remember to get refueled regularly, you run out of fuel faster because you'll be entirely reliant on the main tank. On the upside, you'll move slightly faster.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

El Spamo posted:

drat if this wouldn't make a sicknasty VR game.

But only if your viewpoint is from inside the cockpit so if you turn your head you just see walls.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Gideon020 posted:

Yes, the externals can be dumped and the in-game effect is that if you fail to remember to get refueled regularly, you run out of fuel faster because you'll be entirely reliant on the main tank. On the upside, you'll move slightly faster.
Pretty much. This also ties into a factor about the way the game handles VT weight limits, where it has a soft and hard limit for how much you can equip onto a unit. The game lets you pilot a VT when it's over its suggested weight limit (STD), but not exceeding its maximum (MAX), but there are slight penalties to the unit's movement and turning rate. However, because you can eject empty fuel tanks, you could formulate a strategy where you go in with more than the suggested weight, use up your sub tanks, then ditch them and go back under the suggested weight while keeping whatever heavy weapons you wanted to bring in.

That said, at least for the footage I've recorded up to this point, I generally don't go with ejecting the tanks when they're empty because almost all missions give you plenty of time to back off from engagements to call for supply runs that dropping an empty tank just feels wasteful. Not to mention the negative effects of going over STD are very easy to work around in a mission strategy. The suggested and maximum weight limits will be covered in video soon though, as a couple missions from now you see what it's like when a VT goes in over the suggested limit.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

That's fascinating. Someone on the design team must have been an aircraft buff/fan. that's almost exactly how droptanks work on aircraft.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Too bad the Falchion wasn't airdropped in, I would've liked to have seen how a mech the height of a small apartment complex/office building would actually get tossed out of a plane and land.

Maybe it would've been like soviet tanks with rocket-assisted parachutes...

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

White Coke posted:

But only if your viewpoint is from inside the cockpit so if you turn your head you just see walls.

I mean yeah. I think the hardest point would really just be mapping the VR controls to the physical ones closely enough that you can use them by touch.
I've always though that mech games would make excellent VR flagships. It's a concept where you're generally seated, the controls can be fairly simple (or complex, mr. VT), and things can happen relatively slowly so that you don't overwhelm the player with a situation that develops too fast for them to react with the currently clumsy controls.

But then again I hear that Elite in VR is a huge treat. I just love mechs, what can I say.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

My only disappointment is the "attack" button was not the centerwheel horn.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bootcha posted:

My only disappointment is the "attack" button was not the centerwheel horn.

this

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Secure Beachhead

Second mission is surprisingly tricky even when you know the intended path through it. You're expected to go around the south edge of the cliff until you find a slope that takes you up top to deal with the enemies, but that's not the issue. The bigger problem is that the VTs at the top like to overwhelm you with so many rockets and grenades that if they don't kill you in one hit, they'll definitely take off 3/4 of your health. It also doesn't help that I wanted to show off a unit you get this mission that I otherwise wouldn't use because of its particular downsides. It's because of this that I had to switch to recording these videos in Free Mission mode. This game does not take pity on you if you eject from the cockpit moments before death. You lose that VT, you gotta pay for a new one.

Vitzh
The VITZH is a first generation lightweight VT. Its exceptional reliability and maintainability makes it a viable VT even today. However, when compared with other VTs of the same generation, it stands inferior in terms of armor and firepower.
-----
The VT model you spend a lot of the early game fighting against. Lightweight, not very durable, and most peculiar is that the in cockpit monitors are all in monochrome. Including the multi monitor where all your enemies and allies are color coded. Not my favorite unit to play as, but I tried to make due with it. Combined with its weapon selection being on the more limited side even compared to the last two units, this whole thing is like playing at a disadvantage.

140mm Heavy Machine Gun (140-MG)
This is a more destructive weapon than the Chain Gun. Although, it has a high rapid-fire capability, it does not fare well as an Anti-VT weapon. However, it's very effective against mobile support cannons.
-----
Slightly more power than the 120-MG at the expense of one extra weight point. It's worth the trade off personally, even if it puts you over the suggested weight, and even then losing an extra fuel tank isn't that big a deal in these early missions. Also yes, that in game description is the same for both the 120 and 140, I wasn't lazy when copy pasting that poo poo.

Ak19-77 Recoilless Gun (77-rec)
This is a gun that fires high-explosive shells loaded with contact fuses. For this reason, the ammunition will explode and inflict damage even if it is not a direct hit.
-----
One of two recoilless cannons the Vitzh can use. While the other has more attack power, this is the safer option to pick because of its ability to still hit targets via splash damage. The cannon weapons of this type all share the same disadvantage of being extremely slow and easy to dodge, so you either want to have splash damage to compensate for enemy mobility, or get really good with manual targetting without lock on.

Air-Timed Grenades (GND)
Grenades designed especially for close combat. Because of the contact fuses inside, the grenades will detonate and inflict damage even without direct contact with the target.
-----
An interesting side weapon, these grenades have a very specific range they must be launched at to be effective (less than 500 but more than 100). That said, compared to the 67-CG, this has some practical use in combat against a VT, as long as you are close enough and keeping the pressure with your main weapon of choice.

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 2, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That monochrome monitor is absolutely perfect, I love it, I would use that machine once and then never again.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Let this be a lesson to future mecha pilots. Don't see the world in black and white, always look at the conflict in color or you'll miss out on much detail as ~my animes~ have taught me

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hello there Fellow Green Button controller haver! :v:

For those unfamiliar with Steel Battalion IRL lore, There are actually 2 different colors of buttons for the controllers. A controller made during the first run has the green buttons and anything after that i believe is blue?

There was also Line of Contact which is the same game but also included Xbox Live and system link support. Something on my bucket list that will probably never happen (less so now with COVID and all) is to rent out an office or warehouse and get 10 setups of Steel Battalion going and have a great ol' 5v5 deathmatch going.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
Oddly enough, the most expensive piece of tech i'm missing to play this game myself is an Xbox. All 3 of mine have bad disc drives, and I slammed my head against mission 3 too many times to want to go back with an iffy console that may or may not let me complete it. Looking forward to seeing more!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The Vitz is pretty neat, in that it's clearly the Zaku in the Gundam-based robot hierarchy this game has going. It even has the same default armaments (machine gun, bazooka, and grenades), minus the superheated mech-sized hand axe (the inferior optics could also be a reference, as the Zeon mono-eye camera was generally inferior to the Earth Federation's dual sensor, i.e. human-like eyes, design). The Decider is also clearly meant to evoke the RX-78-2 Gundam, a prototype that will end up mass-produced as the main character upgrades to better prototypes (including having a melee option featured prominently). Like, it may look like mechwarrior, but the writing and setup are pure real robot anime, and it's nice to see them paying homage to the original with some of the mech designs.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Always sad there wasn't a PC equivalent of this game, the cramped cockpit conditions, relatively indepth systems management and realistic-ish setting would make it a shoe-in for the grognard crew.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Outside of Battletech, Starsiege and one or two others, mech games has always been oddly consigned to consoles. Probably because PC gaming is not as popular as console gaming in Japan. At least back then.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

The Shame Boy posted:

Hello there Fellow Green Button controller haver! :v:

For those unfamiliar with Steel Battalion IRL lore, There are actually 2 different colors of buttons for the controllers. A controller made during the first run has the green buttons and anything after that i believe is blue?
*high fives*

Yep, green color buttons on the controller are a sign of it being from the first print. It also means that getting this version instead of the blue button ones mean it will be slightly more used and worn, but that was to my advantage when hunting for this thing.

See, the reason I'm even able to do this LP now is because for a while, the soft modded Xbox I currently use was bought with a poo poo ton of games pre installed, including Steel Battalion. I scoffed initially, since you can't even get past the title screen without the required controller, but last year I started thinking "maybe buying JUST the controller will be more cost effective". So I took a trip down Yahoo Auctions Japan, saw a good number of listings for the green button controllers sold by themselves, and had to take a bit of a risk on one listing that could've either been still working or complete junk. The condition listed made it seem like a 50/50 chance. Needless to say, all I had to do was bid for 5500 yen, hope to god no one sniped it, and then after waiting two months of it being shipped through sea mail, it arrived. And worked.

So yeah, if you're somehow interested in getting to play the game yourself like I was, just follow those steps. Assuming you already have the modded Xbox to begin with, getting the controller alone straight from Japan is a hell of a lot more economical than whatever eBay fucks try to sell it for. But then again, the same could be said about retro game collecting in general.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

We're currently trying to find a Master Chief Xbox since those are suppose to have better disc drives in them. But maybe a modded one is the way to go, since you could just replace the drive while you're modding it anyway.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 29, 2021

Zushio
May 8, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

We're currently trying to find a Master Chief Xbox since those are suppose to have better disc drives in them. But maybe a modded one is the way to go, since you could just replace the drive while you're modding it anyway.

Which one is that? Mine is in the transparent white case, which came bundled with I think Halo 2 and Crimson Skies.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

JIAN TA City Penetration

Jian Ta is the first proper urban environment you go through in the game, and I like it a lot in terms of how to approach your goal. The briefing obviously makes mention of taking either the bridge or the shallow waters of the river, but the street intersections and buildings give you good reason to either circumvent enemy ambush points or whittle them down with Howitzer shots. Compared to last mission where I tried to make it work with the Vitzh, the Vortex is definitely a good candidate for Mission 3. That said, I didn't really get to show off supply choppers this mission as I focused more on rushing to the end, but next video will let you see their usefulness in action.

Vortex
The VORTEX is a first generation midsize support VT. As a support VT it has sufficient firepower but because of its insufficient defense, it should not be considered for front line battle.
-----
The Vortex's role in combat based on the in game description is backed up by its choice of weaponry. That said, the really good ones require some hard sacrifices due to the machine's weight limits. Fitting the rocket cannon and howitzer both doesn't leave you room to bring a machine gun or even an extra fuel tank, unless you're willing to go over the suggested limit. Still, for this mission, and even the next one, it's a good choice for safely dealing damage to enemies while taking advantage of the urban cover that's present.

Mk21 Anti-Land Rocket Cannon (Mk21-R)
It's able to fire six mid-sized Anti-Land Rockets simultaneously.
-----
This is one of those weapons where the ammo amount feels like a lot less due to each button press always launching a set amount of rockets, which is six. Not to mention it has a very specific range that must be adhered to for the rockets to deal damage, which is more important than whether or not all six connect on the target. But if you're rushing past a VT, shoving six rockets in their face is a good source of damage, and a nice compliment to the side weapon used in this mission.

370mm Howitzer (370-Hw)
It fires grenade shells in a high-arc trajectory. It is capable inflicting damage to a fixed area of land upon impact. Therefore, depending on its usage, it can do a lot of damage.
-----
This howitzer is heavy, but is very powerful and very safe if you're in an environment that isn't obstructing the vertical arc. As you'd expect, because of the travel time, it's useless as a practical weapon if the target is on the move, but that can be mitigated if the player is good with navigating the cursor on the Multi Monitor's map to hit them well in advance. Still, for stationary targets, or ones that aren't able to get to you because of obstacles, it's a valuable tool for the Vortex and other VTs with access to a howitzer.

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 8, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You'll be happy to know that youtube has figured out you're playing mechwarrior online, remember to friendly fire any golden clan mech you find.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Looking forward to seeing you use the VT you were plunking away at with the howitzer before blitzing for the end of the stage.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Conquer Naval Port of JIAN TA

This is another early mission that's surprisingly tough due to what it asks of you and how little punishment you're able to take. On top of the hazard of possibly walking into the water and losing your VT, the Zhen Yan has so many guns firing off at all times that even running a circuit in front of the drat thing is risky. It's a long mission compared to the last few, with a gauntlet of Vitzh and Scare faces to fight through, holding off missiles with Chaff, and even getting a bit of support from Wagonmaster to stay in the fight a bit longer. This is the last mission before the game gives us a legitimate upgrade in VT specs and firepower, so if anyone gets through this mission during their first playthroughs, the payoff during the next one is so worth it.

[
Scare face
The SCARE FACE is a first generation midsize VT. Although it has some issues in terms of maintainability and cockpit space, in general it's well balanced and it has enough potential even as the force's primary strength.
-----
Of the 1st Gen VTs we've used thus far, this is up there with the Decider as one of the best to use if you're sticking to this specific generation. Its weapon selection is comparable to the Decider with the biggest difference being no plasma torch, but with grenades, a higher grade chain gun, and the option for a longer range 320mm rifle, the game is not lying when it says it has potential to be a force's primary strength. It even bests the Decider in terms of durability, but considering the amount of high damage attacks the game throws, it's kind of an academic point.

320mm Sniper Rifle (320-sr)
It's designed to take out targets from a great distance. It has a greater range of fire than a normal rifle.
-----
Aside from the only negative being one extra weight point, this gun is a straight upgrade from the 315-SB in terms of firepower and range. Extra range is always nice to have in big open skirmishes, and when combined smartly with certain side weapons it makes quick work of VTs and knocking them down fairly consistently.

80mm Chain Gun (80-CG)
It has a very high rapid-fire capability and shoots small armor-piercing ammunition. Since its firepower is relatively small, it's an ineffective weapon against VTs. However, it's very effective against AFVs and Assault Helicopters.
-----
A straight upgrade from the 67mm variant, of which isn't even available in the Scare face's weapon selection. You still have to accept that the range is short, but there's nothing more reliable when it comes to sweeping across groups of small vehicles and other obstacles.

Three-Round Capacity Air-Timed Grenades (T-GND)
Grenades designed especially for close combat. Because of the contact fuses inside, the grenades will detonate and inflict damage even without direct contact with the target.
-----
Similar to the regular grenade weapon, except the 3 per shot in a spread formation helps alleviate issues with accuracy just slightly. But still, as far as supporting the player's main attack power, this is a good one to have alongside something like the 320-sr where you can alternate between the two for close range pressure on another VT. It does its job very well.

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 15, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Like all good sniper specialists, the Scareface can snap off a shot at 90 degrees then turn away before the bullet finishes traveling to the kill.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

My god - that sniper rifle fires battleship rounds.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
1/4 of a Monster, not bad

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I hope SCARE FACE is a troop nickname or a mistranslated codename. I'd hate to think some military manufacturer actually went through procurement with that name.

("Yeah the sarge said SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE and, erm....")

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Loxbourne posted:

I hope SCARE FACE is a troop nickname or a mistranslated codename. I'd hate to think some military manufacturer actually went through procurement with that name.

("Yeah the sarge said SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE and, erm....")
I definitely get the feeling that it was a mistranslation of some kind. Of the two walkthroughs available for this game on GameFAQs, one of them was written back when only the Japanese version of the game was out at the time, and in there I recall the name being written as "Scarface". I can only imagine the difference between Scare Face and Scarface when written in Katakana is so negligible that it was probably an easy mistake made by the localizers.

And either way, it's hardly the weirdest name that any of these VTs get in this game. Because one of them, at least according to Kaboom Dragoon when he saw in a later update, sounds like a name for a type of laxative so take that for what you will.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

ArclightBorealis posted:

And either way, it's hardly the weirdest name that any of these VTs get in this game. Because one of them, at least according to Kaboom Dragoon when he saw in a later update, sounds like a name for a type of laxative so take that for what you will.

"Sir, enemy contacts on the screen. IDing as two SCARE FACEs, one GIRAFFE CUDDLER, and a BUTTFLOW."

"Could be worse. There's a CROQUE-MONSIEUR active in this sector, and we've reports of an EXLAX GARGLER. Stand by."

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You laugh now, but you're all hosed when the PEPTO-MISSILEBALL rolls onto the field during Operation: TYRANNY SHUFFLER

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
mods please

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ArclightBorealis posted:

320mm Sniper Rifle (320-sr)
It's designed to take out targets from a great distance. It has a greater range of fire than a normal rifle.
-----
Aside from the only negative being one extra weight point, this gun is a straight upgrade from the 315-SB in terms of firepower and range. Extra range is always nice to have in big open skirmishes, and when combined smartly with certain side weapons it makes quick work of VTs and knocking them down fairly consistently.
This.

This right here is the reason my friend loved the Scare Face.

He'd abuse the range on this thing to take out just about everything he could before advancing at all.

It was his preferred VT for the entire game.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Ooh, 2nd Gen coming up, can't wait to see the reaction to the cockpit for those and the 3rd Gen.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

QIN LIN TUN Clean-Sweep Operation

This is a fun one. After playing through the first roughly half of the campaign, the game gives you your choice of two different 2nd Gen VTs. There's pretty much no reason to go back to the 1st Gen models from here on, and even when the game gives you access to 3rd Gen VTs, the rest of the game is clearly balanced around these new units. And what better way to test them than by raiding a guerrilla village where things are significantly less threatening than what we've had to face up to this point.

Prominence M1
The PROMINENCE M1 is a second generation VT. As the successor of the DECIDER, this well-balanced model is now the primary strength of the force. Numerous considerations have been made to ensure its equipment expandability making this model very versatile in various types of operations.
-----
The defacto VT you'll stick with for most of a campaign playthrough (not counting some of the special 3rd Gen VTs that are worth using), it doesn't even have its full arsenal yet at this point in the plot. It boasts the largest selection of weaponry to choose from, like different rifles, lock on missiles, a howitzer, and even an upgraded plasma torch. And that's not counting that it's one of three units that are able to use a Railgun, and the only unit in the game that gets a special optional armor component. Both of those, you will not be seeing until Mission 8 as that's when you'd normally get to go crazy with those toys. Yes, for as powerful as this VT is, it isn't even playing its full hand once you get access to it for the first time. It's a beautiful machine.

315mm Rapid-fire Rifle (315-rf)
With its three-round burst capability, it has a higher rapid-fire efficience than a normal rifle.
-----
Between the different type of rifles of similar calibur (either higher or lower), I specifically love the 315-rf as the 3 shot burst makes for a nice middle ground between the other single shot rifles and the 200-ar which fires five before reloads. And now that we got it on a VT that can enable FSS to lead targets, it is especially useful in VT combat at this stage of the game.

225mm Howitzer (225-Hw)
It fires grenade shells in a high-arc trajectory. Although not too destructive, it's capable inflicting damage to a fixed area of land upon impact. It is very effective against populated areas of AFVs.
-----
Not as powerful or heavy as the one available on the Vortex, this howitzer is also assigned to the Main weapon slot. Works just as well be it through lock on or manual aim, but the reduced power means it's really only more useful when dealing with smaller infantry and artillery. At best in VT combat it should be used in a situation where the enemy is knocked flat on their rear end and they won't have as much time to get away from the blast radius.

ASLAM - Anti-VT Guided Missile (As-mis)
A fire-and-forget infrared guided missile. Depending on the programming of the VT's movement patterns, its target acquisition accuracy improves which translates to an extremely high number of direct hits.
-----
If the plasma torch was the ideal close range tool for ensure consistent knockdown of enemy VTs, this missile launcher is the ideal long range tool for that job. The minimum range ensures you can't be less than 1km away, but that extra distance gives you enough time after firing to que up your next weapon of choice to deal additional damage to the target after they get knocked down.

Alc22b Plasma Torch (22b-PT)
Designed especially for close combat with VTs, this weapon is very destructive and has the advantage of being able to take down an enemy with a direct hit.
-----
Identical to the original 205-PT in every way except double the damage, but still the same when it comes down to knocking down a VT. Not much else that really needs to be said, as it being one of the few melee weapons available only to a select few VTs, ramming another mech for high damage at high speeds never fails to be an enjoyable sensation.

Smoke Discharger (Smoke)
This weapon fires four rounds of smoke grenades. Its sole purpose is to create dense smoke that blinds the enemy's visibility, disabling the enemy from attacking.
-----
It won't throw off missiles the way Chaff does, but for dealing with VT combat where regular ballistics are involved, this is a good tool for giving you some breathing room. That said, its number of uses is even more limited than what Chaff allows, as each trigger pull uses a set amount of Smoke from the ammo counter, giving you really only 4 times to deploy it effectively. That said, your mileage with this may very depending on how good you are at being aggressive in taking down the enemy while swiftly avoiding any significant damage.

ArclightBorealis fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 22, 2021

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Can we get another labeled guide for the new cockpit? For one thing, I can't tell where the damage lamps are supposed to be in the new setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I always suspected the cow is a reference to Turn A Gundam. It was such a popular moment in the show that even the model kit comes with a tiny cow you can fit in the chest bay. Turn A aired from 1999 to 2000, so other than the ill fated live action film and few shorts it was the latest Gundam when this came out in 2002. SEED had either just started airing or was about to, so I don't think it would have been a reference point during design.

Edit: I double checked, Seed started airing about a month after Steel Battalion came out.

Photo not mine.

I'm sure you can find a clip online.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 18, 2021