Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I wonder how heavy that controller is, whoever was swinging for that project had to call in favors for the business case to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's about what I figured, I wonder how modular it is, otherwise I can't really see a lot of reuse for that mech startup panel.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, if you mean just remapping the controls for other kinds of simulations, that's as easy as just programming it in.

Oh, I meant not every game is gonna need you to follow that specific start up sequence thing and there's a panel dedicated to it, so replacing it with a panel to control your potential spacemech's spaceradar might have been floated during the controller construction.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That monochrome monitor is absolutely perfect, I love it, I would use that machine once and then never again.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You'll be happy to know that youtube has figured out you're playing mechwarrior online, remember to friendly fire any golden clan mech you find.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

The excessive shaking in Steel Battalion could be interpreted as a subtle sign that, for as much as the military invests in making bigger and cooler robots, they neglect basic features for the pilots' welfare, like shock absorbers. There's also the fact that ejection is manual-only, when the mech could easily have a failsafe installed that automatically ejects the pilot once damage exceeds safe parameters (this is also true of the fire extinguisher; if an office building can automatically react to fires, a giant combat robot should be able to, as well). Of course, I'm sure none of that is intentional on the part of the writers, it just kind of emerges naturally from the game's design.

Consider the damage meter a gameism, because it is, and the damage detectors can get damaged as well, also you'll need to disable the auto eject when under anything substantial, like trees.

Also for fires in an office building, you can generally safely assume a type of fire, it's harder in a tank where you need to figure out if you aren't spraying water on an electrical fire or something.

There's no excuse for the shaking, and the lack of other screens extending the field of view. Well, that's another gameism, you can't shove in additional xboxes and tvs in the controller box to have the displays and rendering power for it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think retreating enemy units are legitimate targets, it's surrendered ones that aren't.

Unless of course John Yoo is on the line, then they can't legally surrender to you, I think.

The music is the best part of AC5 and ACVD, AC4 is good because it enables AC4A to exist which (mostly) owned, and I think that the AC5s bringing back White Glint is bad since it's just "hey, remember that better game?".

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 3, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Giant robot stealth is my favorite type of stealth, especially when it involves guns with calibers in excess of 300 mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That Frequency album is a good one.

And I agree about the Souls music, unlike the AC music is has to fit certain expectations set by the settings and while it's definitely very competent it doesn't have the range of odd poo poo that ends up in the AC soundtracks sometimes and feels a little too standard for a From soundtrack.