Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Let's start with the basics: I don't know them. I'm not a car person and know almost nothing about them besides press pedal makes car go vroom.

Recently I had a car get totaled, the other driver was an old woman who admitted fault to the insurance company so I got the claim processed right away. That being said the totaled car was a piece of poo poo so I didn't really get much and I am also, due to the pandemic, under-employed at a low-wage job I don't even work full time. It looked like I was going to have to bike to work in the middle of winter.

But wait! I ran into an old friend who is a car guy and he was going to sell me an economy car from the 90s at a friend price. The claim settlement would pay for the car completely. It's in good condition. Only problem? It's a stick shift. Well, he says he'll teach me and I buy the car from him.

After two whole lessons today was my first day driving the car by myself. I had a hill-start that took me 30 minutes and furious googling to pull off and after successfully driving the car around a fairly hilly part of town and doing several starts I somehow forgot everything less than a block away from my house and stalled repeatedly at a stop sign on a hill. I did not successfully remember my training and instead made it across the intersection in 4 sputters then stalls before putting the car in neutral and riding down hill towards the parking spot.

When I google manual transmission youtube videos they all seem designed for people with high-performance sports cars not under-powered economy cars who are trying to figure out how to commute to work without such bourgeois luxuries as a "tachometer" (I do not have a tachometer. I am supposed to figure out the cars revs by ear.)

Question one: roughly how long will it be until I don't feel like I defied death after every drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Disclaimer: where I'm from, manuals are the norm and what you are taught on during driver's ed.

Also, some nomenclature: clutch engaged = engine and wheels connected. Clutch disengaged = engine and wheels not connected.

Some rules:

Always engage clutch smoothly and slowly.
Disengage clutch rapidly.
It's fine to brake with the clutch engaged, but be prepared to disengage before stopping completely, otherwise the engine will also be forced to go to 0 RPM, thus stalling it.
When engaging the clutch, give a little throttle. Make that a little more if starting uphill.
Don't ride the clutch.

Also, try, on a quiet street or in a parking lot, to get going in, let's say 1st, and try to go as fast and as slow as you can, in that gear, get a feel for things.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Question one: roughly how long will it be until I don't feel like I defied death after every drive?

ime, one week to get to this point, then a couple months for everything to become muscle memory and you dont even consciously think about shifting

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
I learned to drive in autos. First car I bought was a manual. Had a friend drop me 50 miles from home to pick it up, so I had to learn fast. A few weeks and it’ll feel natural. A while longer and autos will feel frustrating to drive. I’ve just switched back from a manual (that I had 13 years) to an auto and I miss the extra control.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Find an empty flat parking lot and practice getting going with zero throttle input. Just feather the clutch until you can get rolling at idle.

Once you get the hang of the clutch engagement point, start adding a little throttle until you can take off normally. Keep RPMs low.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Honestly the only thing that is gonna make you better is practice. Starting and stopping is the hardest, so I agree with the idea of starting and stopping in a parking lot or in a relatively quiet neighborhood. Do exactly what you would do at a light, get going, shift in to 2nd, then stop. Rinse and repeat. As you get more comfortable, find some areas with slope and up the difficulty level. A couple hundred reps will have you in good shape. The rest is pretty easy and you'll basically pick it up through osmosis.

To help yourself, here were certain intersections around town that I would avoid, eg the ones with steep hills up to a stoplight. Just figure out how to go around. This may be harder if you live in say, Pittsburgh or San Francisco.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Find an empty flat parking lot and practice getting going with zero throttle input. Just feather the clutch until you can get rolling at idle.

Once you get the hang of the clutch engagement point, start adding a little throttle until you can take off normally. Keep RPMs low.

Do this, you will learn the exact point at which your clutch starts to engage. Then you can bring the clutch pedal to exactly the engagement point and quickly add a bit of throttle as the pedal passes this point. Practice this for a day or two and you'll internalize the muscle movements.

Also since you provided no reference I will assume you are driving a 1996 geo prizm, a great economy car if I've ever seen one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Do this, you will learn the exact point at which your clutch starts to engage. Then you can bring the clutch pedal to exactly the engagement point and quickly add a bit of throttle as the pedal passes this point. Practice this for a day or two and you'll internalize the muscle movements.

Also since you provided no reference I will assume you are driving a 1996 geo prizm, a great economy car if I've ever seen one.

1998 honda civic hatchback

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 15, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
drat that woulda been my second guess! Nice commuter car though, treat that thing right and it should last forever (make sure you keep oil in it).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you're not already doing so, using your handbrake is an essential tool for learning how to set off.

Handbrake on, car in 1st, ease your foot off the clutch slowly and at the bite point where the clutch itself starts to engage with the flywheel you'll feel the car want to set off. From here you can disengage the handbrake and the car will start to very slowly move forwards. Let off the clutch more, add a little gas and you're away.

Understanding that the engine is constantly spinning and you're physically engaging the gearbox with the clutch might help. The engine always wants to sit about 1000rpm (obviously not every engine) spinning freely out of gear and with no gas pedal added. When you put the car in gear and let off the clutch it engages the spinning engine which loads it and unless you have a buff engine or you're on flat ground it'll cause the revs to drop and possibly stall it. The accelerator just controls how fast over that ~1000rpm baseline the engine spins, the clutch is how you apply that rpm to the drivetrain to move the car. Obviously if you're on a hill you'll need more gas to stop you stalling when you engage the clutch. It takes time to get used to your car so just practice with it.

The handbrake is 100% your friend though, I use mine all the time in traffic because gently caress sitting balancing the car on a partially engaged clutch.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

bolind posted:

Disclaimer: where I'm from, manuals are the norm and what you are taught on during driver's ed.

I assume this is Britain since half the manual videos I've watched are by Cockney driving instructors who talk with their hands

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Let's start with the basics: I don't know them.

Where do you live? If you're anywhere near central new york, you're welcome to come and take my accord for a spin.

Edit: I grew up around here and learned to drive on a manual car. What helped me early on was to get the clutches bite point seared into my muscle memory by sitting on a slight incline (my parents' driveway worked for this), nose uphill, car idling, and feather the clutch to get the car to roll forward. From there, I started to add a little gas to the process to get moving quicker. That, and knowing that I needed to be in second gear for any right angle turn at an intersection were a great start for me. I didn't have a tach either, and I didn't have a handbrake (manual dodge caravan), so hill starts were a bit dicey. You'll get it. Go for drives at night.

glyph fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 15, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

While the guy is somewhat polarizing in AI circles, his video series on how to drive stick is really good and I have used it a few times in the past with family members and friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

While the guy is somewhat polarizing in AI circles, his video series on how to drive stick is really good and I have used it a few times in the past with family members and friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk

Thanks this was very helpful. I'll see if I can fit driving shoes into my budget.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thanks this was very helpful. I'll see if I can fit driving shoes into my budget.

For true Jinba ittai, you really want to be driving bare foot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

GUESS WHO JUST MOVED THE CAR USING. ONLY THE CLUTCH? THIS GUY!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

GUESS WHO JUST MOVED THE CAR USING. ONLY THE CLUTCH? THIS GUY!

WHO'S A GOOD DOG?

(Seriously, fuckyea welcome to the club)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hell yeah

And the great thing is once you learn the trick you can drive just about anything with a clutch after a couple of minutes to feel it out.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

glyph posted:

Where do you live? If you're anywhere near central new york, you're welcome to come and take my accord for a spin.

Edit: I grew up around here and learned to drive on a manual car. What helped me early on was to get the clutches bite point seared into my muscle memory by sitting on a slight incline (my parents' driveway worked for this), nose uphill, car idling, and feather the clutch to get the car to roll forward. From there, I started to add a little gas to the process to get moving quicker. That, and knowing that I needed to be in second gear for any right angle turn at an intersection were a great start for me. I didn't have a tach either, and I didn't have a handbrake (manual dodge caravan), so hill starts were a bit dicey. You'll get it. Go for drives at night.

Louisville. It's a bit of a drive. The downtown area is Kansas flat but the east side of the city where I live is like Cincinnatti, or Pittsburgh in that theres no truly flat ground anywhere. Probably not as bad as San Francisco though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
So good news is that if it's in good condition Hondas from that era are about the best to learn on.

I'd recommend driving barefoot while you learn if you can. You'll pick up the pedal feel of the clutch much better that way. It's way easier to feel the grab/engagement point without a shoe in the way.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I know this is probably in jest. But all of my vehicles are manuals. The 67' is a 4 speed and the 49' is a 3 speed and my scion is a 5 speed. They are all pretty different but honestly the 67' and 49' are probably the easiest as far as driving goes. The scion makes much less torque then either of the other vehicles. I taught my sister how to drive a stick by just bringing her to a parking lot and having her find the clutch bite. Thats really how you are going to learn, once you figure out where the clutch bites its really not that big of a deal. My dad taught me when I was like 17 on a saturn which was about as anemic of a car as they get. If you can drive a honda you can drive anything really.

**edit**

I should note I was REAL nervous when dad taught me to drive in the saturn. I had already been used to driving our lawn tractor around which had a clutch of sorts. So being nervous is certainly normal, but if you just go to a parking lot and practice you will be fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Getting moving with just the clutch also did it for me. Then you can just get used to releasing it quicker and giving gas at the same time. Actually shifting is then easy if you have some intuition from how an automatic drives.

I don't think driving barefoot is necessary (I found it pretty uncomfortable) but shoes can make a big difference, just make sure you aren't wearing huge winter boots or something.

Valt posted:

I know this is probably in jest. But all of my vehicles are manuals. The 67' is a 4 speed and the 49' is a 3 speed and my scion is a 5 speed. They are all pretty different but honestly the 67' and 49' are probably the easiest as far as driving goes. The scion makes much less torque then either of the other vehicles. I taught my sister how to drive a stick by just bringing her to a parking lot and having her find the clutch bite. Thats really how you are going to learn, once you figure out where the clutch bites its really not that big of a deal. My dad taught me when I was like 17 on a saturn which was about as anemic of a car as they get. If you can drive a honda you can drive anything really.

**edit**

I should note I was REAL nervous when dad taught me to drive in the saturn. I had already been used to driving our lawn tractor around which had a clutch of sorts. So being nervous is certainly normal, but if you just go to a parking lot and practice you will be fine.
More torque helps but it's doable in a 1l shitbox too and IMO modern cars should be easiest to learn on.

My parents' latest cars were automatic so I drove those for the first year or so. Picking up a manual was a matter of a few hours of practice before I could drive around normally. Not perfectly revmatched downshifts or anything, but not stalling either. In a few weeks it's pretty much on autopilot.

The reason my parents' cars have been automatic is that mom never learned to drive manual, and I think it's because she was just too nervous from the driving instructors or even my dad freaking her out. It can be tricky enough on lovely :ussr: cars with no tachs, let alone when you're not used to the actual "driving on the street" part. Watch your mirrors! Who has right of way here? Your'e stalling the car! More throttle! No not like that! What was the sign we passed 50m ago? Yeah... so what I meant to say is that it should be easier since you're already comfortable driving daily and don't have to be nervous about it.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I remember the first time I changed shoes after learning to drive manual, it felt like I had to re-learn everything.

Definitely don't wear gigantic winter boots, it makes it a lot harder to feel the subtle change in resistance from the clutch pedal when it's near engaging.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Keep practising! don't be surprised if you hit the wrong gear or forget to change down when pulling off every so often for the coming 6 months either.

I found when i was learning (and also when i drive new cars for the first time) that if i am not feeling comfortable with something about the gearchange/driving experience that if i stop the car and get out and walk around for 10 mins and then get back in it feels better. I think it just resets your seating position and your brain position.

I have to do this every time i try and drive my dads Morris as the clutch pedal is different to a conventional modern car (it comes up out of the floor rather than hanging). Its like the first time I get in my brain cant co-ordinate the different leg movements required but after a short crunchy experience and a short break it is fine.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
When I teach people to drive stick, I tell them to use left foot braking for at least a week beforehand. You've been developing fine motor skills in your right leg since you've learned to drive, and now that you're left leg is back in driver's ed you need a way to jump start it to the same level.

While it sounds like you don't have the luxury of practicing beforehand, you can still practice left foot braking whenever you are slowing down and not coming to a stop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tomarse posted:

Keep practising! don't be surprised if you hit the wrong gear or forget to change down when pulling off every so often for the coming 6 months either.

I found when i was learning (and also when i drive new cars for the first time) that if i am not feeling comfortable with something about the gearchange/driving experience that if i stop the car and get out and walk around for 10 mins and then get back in it feels better. I think it just resets your seating position and your brain position.

I have to do this every time i try and drive my dads Morris as the clutch pedal is different to a conventional modern car (it comes up out of the floor rather than hanging). Its like the first time I get in my brain cant co-ordinate the different leg movements required but after a short crunchy experience and a short break it is fine.

i just messed up a 2-3 shift in my daily driver golf yesterday, and i've been only driving and owning manual cars for 15 years with some seriously nasty urban commutes (DC/NoVA, Boston). poo poo happens for sure.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Getting the car moving with no throttle is a good thing to experience, the next step, and what you should actually be doing while driving is holding revs at, say, 1500 and then not moving that foot while you engage the clutch. No additional throttle until your foot is off the clutch. Work on this and you will be surprised at how little throttle you can use, and how quickly you can let the clutch out, to get going.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Nth-ing the suggestions ITT to learn to get the car rolling using only the clutch. Once you master that, you'll have no problems starting from a stop. Even when uphill.

Try to wean yourself off of using the hand brake for hill starts. It's slower and a pain in the rear end. Then again, I'm biased because I didn't have the option of a handbrake. (Learned on a Chevy S-10 with a foot brake instead of a hand brake)

Driving shoe suggestion: Old school Chuck Taylors. Thin, flat soled shoes, and can run narrow in size. Perfect for shuffling your feet around the pedal box.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I can't believe the barefoot suggestion was serious. Cars are crazy.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
About six months ago, I traded in my 10 year old mazda 3 and bought a manual Miata that I couldn't drive, so I am extremely sympathetic to your position. I spent like three weeks feeling like I had made an awful mistake and I was trapped with a car that I couldn't even take down the street to the grocery store.

The thing that really did it for me in terms of getting comfortable was just going out for short, five minute drives around the block. Not to go anywhere, just getting used to getting the car moving, shifting out of first and into second, out of second into third, going up a hill, going down a hill, and parking. It took a week of going out for short drives two or three times a day before I felt like I could reliably get from point A to point B with arbitrary A and B. After that, it took another couple of weeks before it all started to feel natural, and about a month before it really started to be fun.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

One of my favorite parts of driving in the summer.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The floor mats in my wrangler (RIP) were made of high end fake grass. Driving barefoot is excellent.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

One of my favorite parts of driving in the summer.

Truth. Barefoot driving in a lovely pickup with hot metal floorboards is my teenage summers.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Rode around the neighborhood with only one stall and one slight rollback on a hill stop sign! Progress.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Fair dinkum mate, I drive barefoot pretty much all year round so when I do one of the few trips per year where I have to wear shoes it feels weird as all buggery. Give it a red hot go.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Rode around the neighborhood with only one stall and one slight rollback on a hill stop sign! Progress.

Awesome! Now do a tight parallel park uphill between two luxury cars in the rain, at night, while an impatient semi is honking at you! :D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If you're not already doing so, using your handbrake is an essential tool for learning how to set off.

Handbrake on, car in 1st, ease your foot off the clutch slowly and at the bite point where the clutch itself starts to engage with the flywheel you'll feel the car want to set off. From here you can disengage the handbrake and the car will start to very slowly move forwards. Let off the clutch more, add a little gas and you're away.

This. So much this. Even after 20 years of driving stick, I still sometimes use this cheat on a steep hill.

Wrar posted:

So good news is that if it's in good condition Hondas from that era are about the best to learn on.

I'd recommend driving barefoot while you learn if you can. You'll pick up the pedal feel of the clutch much better that way. It's way easier to feel the grab/engagement point without a shoe in the way.

Agreed, Hondas of that era are hard to kill (so long as you keep up on maintenance, like the timing belt). Barefoot driving does give you a lot better feel for the clutch too.... and anytime I get new shoes, it's like I have to re-learn the clutch. :argh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

STR posted:

This. So much this. Even after 20 years of driving stick, I still sometimes use this cheat on a steep hill.

I'm not trying to make poo poo harder for myself or terrify whoever is inevitably sat far too close behind me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh if someone is right on my bumper I'll make sure to maximize rollback. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

As I recall, rolling back on a hill is an auto-fail of driving test in some countries. Using the handbrake is both expected and taught.