Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

excited, inadequate, unprepared

get used to it, because that never really goes away. the good news is that every parent ever has those feelings and is just flailing around searching for something that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Has anyone had problem with parents/inlaws being far too permissive with your kids? My mom is this way with my 5 year old and no amount of talking, cajoling or even outright threats will get her to stop. Stuff like ice cream for breakfast, some expensive toy every time they leave the house, not adhering to the nighttime routine and just generally letting her get away with anything and everything. When I tell my mom that none of that is allowed because it turns my kid into a screaming strung out monster I get "well I'm a grandma and I can do whatever I want tee hee". Im all for grandparents being indulgent when they're around but this is ridiculous. Is there a way to deal with this without hurting anyones feelings? Am I being over sensitive?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

that's really what gets me. my wife and I have told her again and again what is and isn't acceptable and it just never seems to click. I'm fine with spoiling and when we go to her house twice a year or so (she comes to us 3-4 times, we live on opposite ends of the country) I'm just like do whatever, but when she comes to us it isn't a vacation for us. we still have to work and do all of the normal life stuff and it turns into this huge deal because we can't leave my mom and kid alone together because that just fucks everything up. argggg this is just me venting but it's so drat frustrating and I hate being the bad guy to both my mom and my kid at the same time.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

trimming my kids nails as a baby was the most stressful thing since her fingers were so tiny and soft and the dexterity in my hands sucked so bad. I usually got my partner to do it because it made me too nervous. I really liked giving her baths though, that was always pretty fun, except when she'd take a dump in her bath water lololol

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

probably too old for a three year old but my daughter loves the barenstein bear books. mostly because I make all the bears sound like southern hicks but she also likes the stories. not the new ones by the son, though, those are trash.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

what, you're not a fan of the Berenstain Bears Defend Our Freedoms on January 6th?

my mom got her the Easter one and it's so loving terrible. that one got "lost" along with the "babies learn particle physics!" dreck my mom got her too.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

my daughter is already embarrassed of me and she's five. can't wait to see what's it's gonna be like when she's 15.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I would charge the iPad my 5yo can use occasionally in my office until I found her taking pictures and writing gibberish notes on it one morning. I don't do that anymore but is there a way to lock that thing down so that she can only use certain apps during specific times? she had figured out the 6 digit code and everything. clever girl

edit: utube is the devil for children and I don't let her use it ever, not even supervised. I also take my moms phone away from her when she visits because I don't trust her not to show my daughter YouTube videos.

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 5, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

whoo boy I woke up to half a bottle of no tears shampoo all over the floor and couch because she was "making slime". Not really what I had in mind when I woke up today. Now she's "camping" under my desk while I browse the YOS is pretty cute :)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I got so lucky with my teenage stepson (now 24), he really never exhibited all of the normal shithead teen boy behavior (which I had in spades jfc), got good grades and never did anything that got him in any real trouble. I feel like my wife and I used up all our good luck on him and my daughter is gonna be a huge pain lol.

kids are a never ending source of stress regardless of age. it just changes in how it manifests. babies need constant basic care like feeding and holding while toddlers to tweens need constant watching to help them with living in their own bodies and helping them understand how to act around others. teens you have to watch out for them so they're not eating tide pods and trying to bang everything that moves. adult children are the hardest because they're on their own and you have no way of knowing what they're doing day to day.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

daughter is perma attached to my wife so if she's up so is daughter. 430am? yeah gently caress it why not. it's like a light switch she detects someone is up she's instantly awake. total craziness and can't wait for when I have to crowbar her out of bed when she's a teenager. she's always been a pain to put down but getting her up is super easy at least

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

kiddo has suddenly decided that picking up dog poop from the small enclosed yard we have is their favorite thing and NO ONE else can help them do it. Man does she surprise me sometimes

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Our oldest is 9 and the school dropoff is very funny because they won't accept more than one hug but if you appear to forget so help me god you're getting loving tackled.

my 5 year old is like this pretty much and I find it super duper adorable :glomp:

she gets to use my old af ex work iPad that has 2 apps on it: notes and plex. she likes to write gibberish in notes and watch :filez: of iso's I get off usenet. no other apps and the browser and app store are locked down. she's 5 yes but they're very clever.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

lol the number of times that happened to me...

kiddo accidentally wet herself at dance class and was so embarrassed she couldn't go back in. I feel so so bad and I feel like it's because life around the house has been real hectic lately and I've been gone for work a lot too. I hate leaving her (and my wife of course) but gotta make a living I guess. loving jobs god

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Does incentivizing your kids with toys, treats, extra tv time ect actually work? we're trying to get my 5yo to sleep in her own bed all night long and my wife wants to start giving her little toys and stuff as a reward if she actually does it. I'm on board if it works but the thought of just adding more plastic crap that my kid will play with for 2 minutes then forget about just fills me with dread. I went to the dollar store and couldn't even buy anything to try this because it just seems so sad and wasteful. is there anything else we could try?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

my kid has been in ballet for about a year and they do a Christmas recital every year. this was giving her huge anxiety to the point of getting upset stomachs and outright refusing to even go to class. partner and I gently encouraged her and even got her to the recital today and told her she could dance or not dance it was totally up to her. she told us "I'm here and want to try" and then went on stage in front of hundreds of people and it was great and I'm so drat proud of her :kimchi:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

haha I told her the something awful forums were rooting for her and she said "the WHAT" all wide eyed.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bandit never dropping kayfabe is when I knew I couldn't keep up with that show. my daughter will just run around the house pointing at things and saying "heavy!" which is a real easy and fun game to play. plus bluey is so much better than peppa pig it's not even funny. peppas dad always comes off as a buffoon and I hate it

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

my wife just takes 15000 photos and then never shares them with anyone except when she goes "aw :3::3::3:" and flips her phone around to show people lolololol

anyway it's day 5 or whatever of winter break and every stuffed animal/toy/blanket/pillow and blanket have been dragged into the living room for a huge mess party!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Christ this was my life for the past 2 weeks. Kiddo brought it home from school but luckily didn't get it super bad. Partner and I especially got loving leveled. Pedialyte is your friend and any light food that you can keep down. good luck! It seems to be going around in a big way where I'm at.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

if you send your child to nursery/school they are gonna congregate and bring back far more and far worse than literally anything else

this + NICU nurse spouse + being in the back of airplanes a lot means we're all turbo hosed. can't ever blame someone specifically since who tf knows where anything comes from at that point

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

ice ice baby and cotton eyed joe forever but now it's whomp there it is

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

dang feel better pony jr. ER visits when it's your kid is ultra scary for me

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

ultrasounds are always anxiety inducing. when my youngest kid was in utero the tech spent something like 3-4 minutes trying to find the heartbeat which nearly caused me to faint. my nurse wife and ultrasound tech son were both like "eh whatever poo poo happens". im sure its going to be ok!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My 24 year old step son uses the ATT provided wifi router and like doesn't even have a wired connection to anything. Plus his SSID is lame too. I feel like a failure :(

Anyway he and his new wife have always wanted to have my wife and i close and even liked doing things with us. I used to think that was weird but now I love that they come by and hang out and we can have adult conversations and it's all very chill and nice. I've known him since he was 10 and thought that puberty was going to be rough but he made it through without too much drama. I feel like I used up all of my luck with that though and my almost 6 year old daughter is gonna be a handful

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

my daughter legit responds well to music in the car. she only wants to hear the same 5 songs though so its a toss up

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

my mother loves to crow about how she has a masters degree in early childhood development and how she is perfectly capable of taking care of my kid when in reality she can't stop watching youtube or tiktok on her phone. Like, we've left kiddo in her care for date night before only to come home and kiddo is not in bed and running around acting like a crazy person because shes beyond tired and up hours after her bedtime. We don't let my mom watch her anymore. Then she gets all pissed when we wont let her and my kid alone. Like no poo poo you are actively not watching your granddaughter when you're supposed to.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Eeyo posted:

my son was born over a year ago and apparently my wife is still fighting with insurance companies for the medical bills for his delivery. apparently there’s some goofy poo poo where they like prorate some of the prenatal care as part of the delivery charges or some such nonsense. her work switched insurance companies at the new year and he was born early in january so the current and former insurance companies are intransigent on who’s paying for what.

cool system we’ve got here love this poo poo

my wife had preeclampsia and gave birth to our daughter a month early because of it. the insurance company didn't think that inducing her was warranted and wanted to deny our claim for the birth. Like, gently caress, you're second guessing doctors? what the gently caress? then they didn't want to reimburse the anesthesiologist because while she gave birth in an in network hospital the guy handing out the pain meds apparently wasn't. I finally threw up my hands and started throwing away all of the bills and explanation of benefits letters they would send me and let them and the hospital fight it out and waited for them to sue me at some point. 2 years!!!! later they finally stopped and showed everything paid up. gently caress insurance companies.

My daughter in law today said to my little girl that it was ok to cry sometimes if you're feeling sad to which my kid replied "I don't have feelings so I don't need to do that" lolololol. Not having feelings is not a thing that could ever be said about my daughter lol

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

norovirus. Again

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

my kid wanted to make some flyers for a project she's doing with some friends so i set her loose on my old macbook pro with pixelmator pro and pages. told her to mess around with it and not be afraid of breaking anything and... she's just figuring it out. i'm so proud of her.

almost everything I've ever been interested in besides stuff for work has been a mess around and figure it out deal for me. I'm trying to get kiddo to try things the same way but she is much more into having someone teach her and help her before she'll even try it on her own. It's kinda frustrating for me but everyone learns in different ways and I'm trying really hard to be patient for stuff like that. Once she's got a little handle on something shes off to the races its just kind of a process to get her there.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

almost 6 year old has hit the "i dont wanna go to school" and "you cant tell me what to do" phase almost literally overnight. wtf happened

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Older child had me at a bit of an impasse. The only thing that really seemed to work was "I can't make you do anything, but I also don't have to give you things that you'll enjoy or allow you to play video games etc, so think about just how far you want to go here in insisting that you don't want to go to your room."

its def uncharted waters for me because shes been pretty agreeable so far but now its hard stop "i dont wanna do that". i know its all a phase but the suddenness of it was really surprising.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

lowes is giving out diy bird feeders so kiddo and i spent the morning hammering it together. it was fun! shes really proud of the thing she made

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the new episode of bluey destroyed me lol

this hit extremely close to home for me and yeah it was real fukkin misty watching that episode. goddamn its making me tear up right now lol. i heard thats the end of the series? is that true??

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

well thatll give kiddo enough time to watch the series 2-3 more times in anticipation lolol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

kiddo was completely unfazed by that ep while cut to me bawling my loving eyes out. ever been sincerely comforted by a 6 year old? its pretty wild