Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Nick Saban has amassed a college coaching record of 256-65-1 with seven national titles — six at Alabama and one at LSU.

Bill Belichick has led the Patriots (or maybe Brady did) to six NFL Super Bowls. Belichick's career record, including playoffs, is 310–147.

Saban was only 15-17 in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins.

If you were to pit Saban against Belichick with two teams of essentially equal talent, which guy game plans the winning strategy?

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1350427920485986307

CocoaNuts fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
I'm actually the greatest football mastermind, OP. I know every draft bust from their name alone. I know that one guy who's supposed to be good actually sucks. I know this coach can't playcall his way out of a paper bag. I call the quarterback an idiot when he throws a pick instead of to the guy who's open. I yell at the screen to pound the rock while I eat buffalo wings. This is what makes me a football mastermind.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think it's less Saban vs. Belichick than it is how remarkable that a pretty mediocre run in Cleveland resulted in the two of them collaborating to create some of the most important and influential defensive innovations of our time. I'm not sure either one would be the success they are together without that time working together.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Nah.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think it's more that Saban is better at convincing the best high school players to come to his school.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Jack Easterby

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think it's more that Saban is better at convincing the best high school players to come to his school.

Yeah. Its insane to even try and compare NFL vs college ball coaching. Its just apples and oranges. There are no salary constraints, and the disparity of talent between teams and especially defenses is insane in college ball.

Belichick is the goat and its not even close.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think it's less Saban vs. Belichick than it is how remarkable that a pretty mediocre run in Cleveland resulted in the two of them collaborating to create some of the most important and influential defensive innovations of our time. I'm not sure either one would be the success they are together without that time working together.

Working the refs so they don’t call he offensive pass interference you commit on every play?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

coronavirus posted:

Belichick is the goat and its not even close.

Bill Walsh is the GOAT, sorry

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

MakaVillian posted:

Bill Walsh is the GOAT, sorry

Hahaha. He doesn't even make the top 3.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

does alabama have the greatest recruiting hostesses of all time?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

coronavirus posted:

Hahaha. He doesn't even make the top 3.

Yes, the guy who's undefeated in Superbowl's and who's coaching philosophy revolutionized offence and who's coaching tree are still around and winning games doesn't make the top 3.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PupsOfWar posted:

does alabama have the greatest recruiting hostesses of all time?

Bama has the best bagmen and hostesses.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

Superbowl's
He barely makes your top 3 mistakes! I'm just fooling around!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Pickle Rick Saban

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Here's a list of coaches confirmed to be better than Saban:

Herm Edwards
Mike Mularkey
Jon Gruden
Dick Vermeil
Jim Mora
Bill Belichick
Romeo Crennel
Bill Cowher
Dick Jauron (x2 lol)
Gary Kubiak
Eric Mangini
Mike McCarthy
Jack Del Rio
Tony Dungy

deaf jesus
Feb 19, 2004
hear no evil
I'm sure Paul Finebaum would agree but that would mean he would have to take Nick's dick out his mouth first.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a lotta people who don’t know anything about cfb with lots of opinions on it, very cool

it’s harder to win consistently in the nfl than in college because of parity so i’d probably give the edge to belichick; that being said it’s a lot harder to get to the mountaintop in college football because that same top loading means that when you are trying to compete for titles you’re going against teams that typically don’t have any readily exploitable weakness

also, recruiting isn’t the end all be all it sounds like; texas and tennessee both do an incredible job of getting people to agree to come to their school and then do gently caress all with the talent they amass

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

MakaVillian posted:

Yes, the guy who's undefeated in Superbowl's and who's coaching philosophy revolutionized offence and who's coaching tree are still around and winning games doesn't make the top 3.

Undefeated in superbowls is a weird stat to use since he didnt go the half of the ones Belichick did. If all it takes to be a top 3 all time coach is to revolutionize how the game is played, then I guess Andy Reid is also a top 3 all time coach.

1.Belicheck
Not in a particular order 2-4
Lombardi
Shula
Landry

Walsh is somewhere around here.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Reid is an all timer for sure I would put him probably 3rd all time

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Cavauro posted:

He barely makes your top 3 mistakes! I'm just fooling around!

Dammit

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Metapod posted:

Reid is an all timer for sure I would put him probably 3rd all time

Tomlin has the same superbowl record as Reid and has never had a losing season

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Tomlin has the same superbowl record as Reid and has never had a losing season

That's true but Tomlin never had to rely on a oline coach to be a defensive coordinator

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

coronavirus posted:

Undefeated in superbowls is a weird stat to use since he didnt go the half of the ones Belichick did. If all it takes to be a top 3 all time coach is to revolutionize how the game is played, then I guess Andy Reid is also a top 3 all time coach.

Walsh is somewhere around here.

Walsh and Belichick (only counting the NE years) won the same number of Super Bowl's in 10 seasons (Walsh retired after 10 years) and Belichick lost twice to the Giants in that 10 year span. Seems weird to punish a guy for retiring on top.

So going to the Super Bowl 30% of the seasons he coached, instituting an offence that is still used today (modified of course) and birthing a coaching tree (of which Andy Reid is a part of) that is still around and successful isn't top 3 in your mind?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Walsh is a great coach but he's worse than beli Reid and Gibbs imo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MakaVillian posted:

Walsh and Belichick (only counting the NE years) won the same number of Super Bowl's in 10 seasons (Walsh retired after 10 years) and Belichick lost twice to the Giants in that 10 year span. Seems weird to punish a guy for retiring on top.

So going to the Super Bowl 30% of the seasons he coached, instituting an offence that is still used today (modified of course) and birthing a coaching tree (of which Andy Reid is a part of) that is still around and successful isn't top 3 in your mind?

Belichick did it after free agency. Much more impressive

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Nick was .500 against Bill in the nfl while never having a quarterback and with a team of players he actively hated

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Raku posted:

Nick was .500 against Bill in the nfl while never having a quarterback and with a team of players he actively hated

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I sense some bias here from you.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Raku posted:

why did he hate his own players

that's not a normal thing to do

maybe this situation points to some limitations he has as a head coach!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nick Saban made a player cry during practice.

Belichick cut a player so hard he beat up his own dad in a bar parking lot.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

don't know

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Kalli posted:

Nick Saban made a player cry during practice.

Belichick cut a player so hard he beat up his own dad in a bar parking lot.

So Nick is the greater humanitarian of the two? Is that the message here?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CocoaNuts posted:

So Nick is the greater humanitarian of the two? Is that the message here?

Nah, he then immediately fled to college because he realized how much easier it was to make 19 year olds weep.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
It's actually Jim Tomsula

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The best coach is probably some position coach laboring in obscurity, without the staggering power of the Alabama recruiting machine or the perfect confluence of factors in the Patriots organization.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

College football is such an uncompetitive racket that you cannot even call.him a good coach. Bama just plays a bunch of.nobody tonpad stats and then the SEC just gets rep for playing against themselves.

College football has such a talent disparity that unless you are on some 2nd tier team with relatively questionable athletes you cant say coaching really all that matters imo. Any goon could take Alabama athletes to 11-1 or 12-0 any given year

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

EmbryoSteve posted:

College football is such an uncompetitive racket that you cannot even call.him a good coach. Bama just plays a bunch of.nobody tonpad stats and then the SEC just gets rep for playing against themselves.

College football has such a talent disparity that unless you are on some 2nd tier team with relatively questionable athletes you cant say coaching really all that matters imo. Any goon could take Alabama athletes to 11-1 or 12-0 any given year

Extremely dumb opinion.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Extremely dumb opinion.

Nah any div 2 head coach could take Alabama to the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

EmbryoSteve posted:

close the thread it's not getting any funnier than this