Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

EmbryoSteve posted:

College football is such an uncompetitive racket that you cannot even call.him a good coach. Bama just plays a bunch of.nobody tonpad stats and then the SEC just gets rep for playing against themselves.

College football has such a talent disparity that unless you are on some 2nd tier team with relatively questionable athletes you cant say coaching really all that matters imo. Any goon could take Alabama athletes to 11-1 or 12-0 any given year

i think this is a good argument against Meyer, since he took over an Ohio State program that already had a 10-win floor under Tressell, a Florida program that already had a 10-win floor under Spurrier, and a Utah program that while not ~amazing was much better resourced than most of its conference peers

granted Florida's bad interregnum under Zook lasted a lot longer than Ohio State's bad interregnum under Fickell, give meyer at least some credit for the turnaround job there.

Alabama however was legit bad-to-mediocre for their past few coaches between Stallings and Saban, if it were just a matter of having a board that was willing to commit infinite resources to recruiting and facilities then Alabama would have been good under Shula

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

true it is only an Elite Coach that can take a bunch of players gravely insulted by joey galloway as "a bunch of rece davises" and turn them into Two Time Big Ten West Champions

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I have it on good authority that the answer was actually the only football coach with 2 nicknames and people used both: that one in extremely rural Mississippi who had a huge sports illustrated article about him I read a lot when I was a kid.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’ve gone into the lab OP and I’ve come back with the definitive answer: no way Jose

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember bob stitt lmao

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Alaois posted:

remember bob stitt lmao

montana didn't give him a fare shake!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

montana didn't give him a fare shake!!

what was the name of the shaved sasquatch he had playing QB for him at Montana i can't remember

Brady something

e: Brady Gustafson! remember the like, 5 minutes of Draft Punditry Magic where he was a hot prospect for the NFL

Alaois fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 19, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

EmbryoSteve posted:

Nah any div 2 head coach could take Alabama to the playoffs

USC and Texas and a whole bunch of SEC teams that aren’t Bama pull in great recruiting classes every year and still lose multiple games to teams with far worse talent.

Recruits are high school kids. Even the best of them are raw as poo poo and a lot of them never pan out. Being able to identify and coach up talent that fits your scheme is how the best college programs stay at the top. Star ratings are also a two way street. A kid gets an offer from a powerhouse and he gets an extra star because obviously he must be good if they’re offering him.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

PupsOfWar posted:

why did he hate his own players

that's not a normal thing to do

maybe this situation points to some limitations he has as a head coach!

they were too busy doing drugs and having strippers in the locker room to win football games

and football is the only thing he cares about on a professional level

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

they were too busy doing drugs and having strippers in the locker room to win football games

yeah I'm sure that's what it was

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-dolphin-says-nick-saban-walked-over-convulsing-player/

quote:

Nick Saban is not exactly Mr. Personality. His impersonal, tightly-wound coaching ethos has led to great success in college football. But according to one former player, there was one incident during Saban's tenure with the Miami Dolphins that goes beyond impersonal and enters the realm of inhuman. After a long day of practice in 2005, a player was on the ground convulsing only to have his head coach allegedly step over him and continue walking.

Heath Evans, a former fullback and current NFL Network analyst, recounts the scene in a recent interview with Miami's 790 The Ticket:

"Well, the first day of two-a-days. We had about a three-hour-plus practice in the morning in that south Florida sun. You guys know what it's like down there in late July, early August. And then that night we had another practice under the lights, if I recall I think it was about from 6 to 9.

Jeno James, our best offensive lineman at the time, comes in and collapses after practice, uh, vomiting all kinds of stuff that would make a billygoat puke, eyes rolled in the back of his head. Myself, about four other lineman are trying to carry him from the locker room, to the training room.

Obviously it's a moment of panic, everyone, you know, we don't know if this guy's, you know, gonna die, I mean, the whole deal. But he's so big and sweaty and heavy that we actually have to set him down in the hallway between the locker room and the training room.

Nick Saban literally just starts walking in, steps over Jeno James convulsing, doesn't say a word, doesn't try to help, goes upstairs, I don't know what he does. But then obviously they get Jeno trauma-offed to the hospital."

The team would have to wait hours for Saban to return to the scene. As Evans describes it:

"Saban calls a team meeting about 10:30 that night, comes down and says, 'You know, the captain of the ship can never show fear or indecision, we've always gotta have an answer, and so I had to go upstairs, that's why I walked over Geno like that, I had to collect my thoughts and decide what's best for our team.'"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

It’s okay to admit that Nick Saban isn’t perfect. He won’t know.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Honestly, I don't know how people really can make an argument that Saban is anything more than Bill-lite from a Schematic standpoint. Rip/Liz, divider rules, MOF Coverages, all the pass defense concepts that came out of Cleveland are essentially things they've both used indefinitely since then. Arguably, Bill's more multiple, since he loves to point out he's not a 4-3 or 3-4 guy, just a tactician trying to win the day with whatever works. Saban rolled that 3-4 poo poo counting on heavy subs in college as long as he could until he had a Lloyd Carr moment and realized 270 pound LBs in coverage were a potential liability to where he's a lot more willing to experiment with formations and personnel now. Bill was definitely faster to embrace change on offense too, considering what they did with their passing concepts when they went after Randy and other guys.

Where Saban actually has a claim to being better than Bill is in his roster building for the level. Bill's had years where there's just a crippling flaw with a team he can't get around--bad safeties or weak pass rush--particularly in the run from '05-'13. Saban hasn't gone more than 3 seasons as a college coach without a title since he was at LSU. Now, it's harder to be consistent with personnel in the NFL from a turnover standpoint, but consider the fact that the single most valuable position on the team didn't turn over for Belichick for like 18 seasons, where Nick can get 4 at most. Yes, you get more guys on a college roster, but that's still a rather sizable handicap when you factor in how much less evaluation you get to do before they ever get to you in college anyways. Bill's well known for his scouting ability--you don't quite have the same pool of work to judge off of a level below.

I think they fundamentally have very different specialties beyond just their coverage/alignment rules. Given equal materials/teams/footing, I probably pick Belichick if I guess, but if they're recruiting their own teams, it might be a bit of a tossup

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The best college coach is bill snyder btw

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Metapod posted:

snyder was a fuckin wizard, it’s true

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

TheGreyGhost posted:

Bill's had years where there's just a crippling flaw with a team he can't get around--bad safeties or weak pass rush--particularly in the run from '05-'13.

idk if you can argue that the 07 and 11 teams had a “crippling flaw” really considering they made it to the Super Bowl and lost narrowly

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Metapod posted:

Yeah

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

If that is a real story, whole poo poo this guy is psycho

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

true it is only an Elite Coach that can take a bunch of players gravely insulted by joey galloway as "a bunch of rece davises" and turn them into Two Time Big Ten West Champions

Don't forget he coached those players into signing away their labor rights too. Real gritball stuff.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Madden is the best coach of all time, OP.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

MrLogan posted:

Madden is the best coach of all time, OP.

103-32-7 and one Super Bowl in 10 seasons with the Raiders.

Hmm.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

CocoaNuts posted:

103-32-7 and one Super Bowl in 10 seasons with the Raiders.

Hmm.

averaging 10-3-1 is pretty good imo

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Plus winning a SB with the Raiders is unheard of these days

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It was all Al Davis

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Saban knows his god drat football, but I wouldn't have liked his odds here:

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1352058399576502272

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

in order to disprove his doubters, saban should take over as the new head football coach of his alma-mater, Kent State, and lead them to national championship glory

at that point i will concede he is good

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

in order to disprove his doubters, saban should take over as the new head football coach of his alma-mater, Kent State, and lead them to national championship glory

at that point i will concede he is good

only if bill belichick does the same for the browns

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

CocoaNuts posted:

Saban knows his god drat football, but I wouldn't have liked his odds here:

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1352058399576502272

There’s a massive bama Homer who regularly posts on a big dolphins board and man, bama fans are bama fans.

Dudes about to quit dolphins because former players bashed Nick Saban lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

There’s a massive bama Homer who regularly posts on a big dolphins board and man, bama fans are bama fans.

Dudes about to quit dolphins because former players bashed Nick Saban lol

Raku posts there too?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1478422287997038592

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Raku posts there too?

He’s the forums latest “draft expert” and man his bias just shines through. Hilariously so.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s the forums latest “draft expert” and man his bias just shines through. Hilariously so.

I'm sorry I carry my rightness and moral fortitude to each and every thread I bless

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Nick Saban is a Short King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Raku posted:

I'm sorry I carry my rightness and moral fortitude to each and every thread I bless

This dude makes you look incredibly centered and fair. Hes insane with his rankings. He ranks Bama guys at every position he can. Every single time.