Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

wasn't it that they'd have to pay £20m more or something if they did?

I think it was along those lines, there was a mandatory buy clause for more than they wanted to pay so they just didn't activate it and then signed him for the lower amount afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Simone Zaza being brought on in the last few seconds of extra time against Germany at Euro 2016 to take a penalty in the shoot out, doing the Fred Flinstone Bowling technique in the run up and blasting it over the bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5UIKaIXbho&t=575s

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Kepa scoring an og with his face

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

stab posted:

gently caress thats right I forgot that happened in Brazil ahahah

Lol

Lmao even

Edit for more lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc4_PfGzd_o

Older post but still :lol:ing about it.

Bonus points, father in law is Brazilian. Any time I wanna rev up that part of the family I just bring this game up. It's fun!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

szary posted:

Kepa scoring an og with his face

Lmao

Just remembered FIFA declaring itself not corrupt and closing the department responsible for investigating corruption

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
chelsea having both mohammed salah and kevin de bruyne on the books and deciding nah, diego costa plz

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Pretty much all you could ask for as a Liverpool supporter from that match

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Eau de MacGowan posted:

chelsea having both mohammed salah and kevin de bruyne on the books and deciding nah, diego costa plz

To be fair, Costa was one of 2 strikers in the last 20 years who didn't immediately go to poo poo pulling on a Chelsea shirt.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Was reminded today of when Karius put a goal kick out for a corner early in his Liverpool career.

https://youtu.be/4tlLmyAbHYM?feature=shared

Can't find a video that isn't dog poo poo quality, unfortunately.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

an_mutt posted:

Was reminded today of when Karius put a goal kick out for a corner early in his Liverpool career.

Rules should be updated so that's a red card.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

an_mutt posted:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Antony_stats.jpeg

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

kri kri posted:

Antony_stats.jpeg

United fans faced with the grim reality of Antony, or having to look at Garnacho's head.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bumhead posted:

United fans faced with the grim reality of Antony, or having to look at Garnacho's head.

A fate worse than death.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tim Roth, Gérard Depardieu and Sam Neill scamming FIFA for a cool £15m

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jose posted:

Tim Roth, Gérard Depardieu and Sam Neill scamming FIFA for a cool £15m

Wasn’t there some story about the opening screener or something.

gently caress Gerard he sucks but Sam Neil is a treasure and makes up for it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think the movie made like nine hundred dollars on its us opening weekend

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thierry henry being asked on fox sports after moving to new york about racism in europe and how they didn't have a civil rights movement so that must be the cause

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Thierry Henry making the entire nation of Ireland have a big meltdown over a handball

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Thierry Henry taking a job in MLS which forced the Impact to fire the old coach in their neverending carousel of coaches only for him to gently caress off after a season because he didn't like Canada

stab fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 18, 2024

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
And then Thierry Henry throwing his hat in to be the frontrunner to be the head coach of the Canadian team

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

sticksy posted:

Thierry Henry making the entire nation of Ireland have a big meltdown over a handball

It's funny especially when France got knocked out of the following World Cup that qualifier game was for in groups*.
Point is, if France couldn't do it, the Republic of Ireland mens national team definitely wouldn't have. I don't understand to this day why anyone on this dumbfuck island thought we would have gotten anywhere further than France did.

*I think it was for 2010 World Cup but I may be misremembering.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Dual Monarchy posted:

It's funny especially when France got knocked out of the following World Cup that qualifier game was for in groups*.
Point is, if France couldn't do it, the Republic of Ireland mens national team definitely wouldn't have. I don't understand to this day why anyone on this dumbfuck island thought we would have gotten anywhere further than France did.

*I think it was for 2010 World Cup but I may be misremembering.

Fella, you underestimate the quantity of dodgy plumbers working for dodgy landlords, doing half assed jobs on sites, on occasion, or at the time putting bills into NAMA, who would be happy for a jolly away from "her at home" aka "the old ball and chain" to go support "the lads in green."

It's why Keane is apostate. He demanded professionalism from the biggest bunch of slackards and drunks on the face of earth. And that was just the players. Imagine it seeped through to gen pop. There'd be carnage.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

stab posted:

Thierry Henry taking a job in MLS which forced the Impact to fire the old coach in their neverending carousel of coaches only for him to gently caress off after a season because he didn't like Canada

Thierry Henry being finally forced to play on a plastic pitch to keep New York in the playoffs and then losing anyway.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sticksy posted:

im still a bit mad about this lol

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Theirry Henry (and Rafael Marquez) taking the train back to the city with wasted fans after Red Bulls matches in NYC.

Rafa Marquez getting himself on a US Treasury blacklist because of his association with cartel bosses in Mexico

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Galatasaray leaving snow on the pitch in a match against juventus until half time when they hosed up their half of the pitch with a tractor and then winning the match

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Galatasaray leaving snow on the pitch in a match against juventus until half time when they hosed up their half of the pitch with a tractor and then winning the match

I have a vivid memory of one of the Milan teams, which at the time played a very narrow formation, destroying the sides of the pitch before an important CL match against a team with great wingers, but unfortunately I can no longer find anything to support this memory so I may have mixed up some of the details

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

vyelkin posted:

I have a vivid memory of one of the Milan teams, which at the time played a very narrow formation, destroying the sides of the pitch before an important CL match against a team with great wingers, but unfortunately I can no longer find anything to support this memory so I may have mixed up some of the details

Maybe you're thinking of Souness' Rangers? They narrowed the pitch for a game against someone with great wingers, which resulted in UEFA bringing in a rule that teams had to register the pitch dimensions before the season starts.

Jose posted:

I don't know if this is the one I'm thinking of or not, but I have a vague recollection of a Champions League game being halted in the second half because of a snow storm and they had to finish it the next day. Overnight, the home team cleared the snow only on the half they were attacking in. Anyone else remember this?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mickolution posted:

I don't know if this is the one I'm thinking of or not, but I have a vague recollection of a Champions League game being halted in the second half because of a snow storm and they had to finish it the next day. Overnight, the home team cleared the snow only on the half they were attacking in. Anyone else remember this?

I'm almost certain that's the same match.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Between the lot of you you've mostly got it right. Game was abandoned 30 minutes into the first half because of snow. Game continued the next day, with the pitch cleared as above, with Juve to attack the goal on the left in the second half. Galatasaray won 1-0 with a Sneijder goal.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

It was against Arsenal at San Siro, Milan won 4-0. They pitch had been relaid earlier in the week but only the wings, it was brilliant.

It was in the early 2010’s, don’t remember exactly.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

It was against Arsenal at San Siro, Milan won 4-0. They pitch had been relaid earlier in the week but only the wings, it was brilliant.

It was in the early 2010’s, don’t remember exactly.

Good memory, had to look it up.

It was the CL Quarterfinals in 2012

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sol Campbell just leaving the ground at half time during a match and then going missing for a week

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sticksy posted:

Good memory, had to look it up.

It was the CL Quarterfinals in 2012

And then Arsenal won the return leg 3-0 to go out. Kevin-Prince Boateng, Robinho (x2) and Zlatan the scorers for Milan, now there’s a goddamn motley crew.

This was the same season as Arsenal’s 8-2 loss at Old Trafford and the trolley dash before the summer window closed.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Remember this?

Stamford Bridge when Mourinho's Chelsea played Barcelona in the CL.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Barca crashing out of the champions league to Mourinho's Inter, then immediately turning the sprinklers on so Inter couldn't celebrate on the pitch

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Petty Barcelona things could be its own thread lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mourinho getting caught on camera doing a hulk hogan eye rake on tito vilanova, getting a 2 match ban which was then overturned