Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Idlewild_ posted:

A philosophical design question. First of all, sorry for the grainy photo, I was genuinely too lazy to take it at a better time of day.

Opinions of the crowd?

Do you ever intend to plug something in here at light switch height? It seems like an awkward place for an outlet. Imho, relocate the outlet down near the floor and patch the hole, then get a cool antique switch plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

alnilam posted:

Clear-coated oak is gorgeous anyway.

gently caress yeah it is. I just recently finished redoing my living room and the final part was pulling up the Ram Board and getting to see the floors I refinished for the first time in months. I walk through the room just to admire them. Absolutely the best feature in my house.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

peanut posted:

Don't overthink it but I think not sticking out too far past the vanity is good

I will agree with both points. I'm also a fan of cutting out shapes of things in kraft paper then taping them to the wall. You can stand back and decide if that's a good placement, if not-remove and repeat.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Booley posted:

Anyone have recommendations for stores that sell good drawer pulls other than restoration hardware / rejuvenation?

https://www.rockler.com/ would probably be my go-to or probably https://www.build.com/cabinet-hardware/c108547

If you're looking for period pieces, I've had good luck with https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 15, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My front door has a storm door that is painted a very similar color to my siding (cream) where as the door and door trim are dark blue. It's a 2/3rds door so the bottom third is a solid panel, and it blocks the view of a lot of the door. I don't like it and have considered replacing it with a full panel screen/window style to be able to see the door better. I would likely get a black framed storm door since I have some black accents there (house number, mailbox, porch light).

Since you're thinking of a wooden door, painting it the same color of your exterior door would probably look ok though you'll likely lose the definition of the exterior door when looking at it from a distance. The screen really won't end up blocking much. I would definitely try to match it to something though, either door or door trim or accent colors of things around the door.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bought a white couch today. Got 48 hours to decide whether I've made a terrible decision or not.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

No kids or outdoor pets, I have on my house shoes/sandals all the time (drat you, high arches), and yes I eat on my couch way more than I should. The fabric is really more of a light cream so not bright white, the room is emerald green with red oak floors and none of the dark fabric colors were going to look good. There were beige options but I hate beige! It's a "performance fabric" whatever the gently caress that actually means so....it will probably be fine. Maybe.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I will admit I'm having second thoughts, mostly on the fabric type and not so much the color. Last night I was sitting on my temporary couch with all my swatches and the lightest beige choice I considered is a chenille and just much more substantial vs the flat weave fabric I went with. If damaged it's trivially easy to start pulling it all apart. The color is "champagne" but honestly it's still beige and now I dunno what to do.

dammit I hate furniture shopping

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alright goons help me.

The sofa I am getting: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/gather-petite-98-sofa/s537649 I am also getting a matching ottoman.

Here is where the sofa will go. Please pretend the college era futon is approx 14" longer to the right, and you'll have a good idea of how much space the new sofa will take up. (Also ignore the rug, it will not be staying there.)

Bonus photo of a beige chair that I've had for 17 years. It's a great chair but I've never loved the fabric color and will be getting it reupholstered as soon as I have other real furniture in this room.

The fabric choices I have considered at one point or another:

The tiny half swatch is the color/fabric that I went with. They had only a single swatch left in the store and it was on hold for someone else, so they cut it in half and gave it to me. This has also allowed me to pick at the sides and see how easy it is to get the fabric to fray, which is to say extremely. The Monet is what I am considering now, I guess it is closer to gold than beige, and gold does go well with green. The Tribute I do not like at all, in color or fabric style. The dark gray Icon is what I initially thought I'd get but once I got it home seemed like an entire sofa the color of my gray throw pillows would just be way too dark. If I've crossed off two of the three fabric options for this sofa (a custom fabric would double the price), I am left with the Monet line where my only options are white, gold, gray, darker gray, and almost black.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am now on the phone changing my order to a champagne colored couch. :sweatdrop:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The one I originally wanted and the one I'm switching to are both 33k.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MetaJew posted:

Quote not Edit:
Is there such a thing as a combination roller shade that combines some light filtering/privacy screen and a blackout shade? In one of my guest bedrooms that's used as an office I'd like to install some kind of blinds that will allow some daylight to filter through. My other guest bedroom (also office because we both work from home) faces the front yard and thus I have some conventional wood slat blinds for privacy at night. I have the same blinds in the master bedroom and one or two other windows in the house, but they aren't my favorite.

I don't want to have to buy curtains since it seems like it would be tedious to keep them clean and dust free and I suspect the cats or our dog would probably play with them. I'm not really sure what's "on trend" with window coverings but a roller blind seems like the most practical if it can accomplish both tasks.

If your ok with honeycomb shades, I've got what is called a trishade on my front door that might fit the bill. Light filtering during the day, blackout at night.

Sirotan posted:

Gonna also talk up this shade I got for my front door from SelectBlinds, it is called a trishade. Blackout shade on the bottom and sheer on the top, I have the base of the shade attached to the door and the sheer section 'on' during the day, then switch to blackout at night. A little pricier than all my other cellular shades but I love it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Having your stove right next to the refrigerator sucks from a usability standpoint but I don't think it's going to cause your food to spoil. My kitchen is currently figured the same way (it sucks, a lot) and I haven't had any issues in the two years I've been here. You'll probably make the compressor work harder which potentially shortens the overall lifespan of the fridge but not sure I'd bother pulling out your range when you use it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:hmmyes:

and I really don't know poo poo about tapestries for the record

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

actionjackson, rest assured I regularly read this thread, you don't need to PM me with the same questions you post here. I'm happy to share my thoughts in the thread if I feel they're adding value, though a lot of times that will probably just boil down to "do what you think looks the best".

That being said, my highly subjective personal opinion is the colors on these prints work better in your space:

actionjackson posted:

the other option is these circles and half circles

I think the frame size in your render is fine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Furniture shopping sucks right now and I can only tell you that after doing a lot of searching at stores I could see sofas in-person (I wasn't willing to buy something I couldn't put my butt on first), I ended up with a sofa from Crate & Barrel. Its honestly pretty nice and I am satisfied with it but it took 6 months to get (and they hosed up the ottoman so I have another 6 months waiting for that to be replaced). Be prepared for a long wait or be willing to buy something with an in-stock fabric/configuration.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KillHour posted:

The James is pricey, but looks really nice. Thanks!

:(

Edit:

Production Timeline
All items are made to order, meaning your piece is individually built for you after your order is placed. With increased demand as well as shipping delays due to Lunar New Year, our production and delivery processes take 22–25 weeks, with select products taking up to 33 weeks. Please refer to each product for expected delivery times.

Holy gently caress.

Yeah. And that's their probably best case scenario. I was originally quoted 4 months and it turned into almost 7. Also despite it being their gently caress-up, they could not rush my ottoman replacement order so I get to do it allllllllllllllllllll over again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Plenty of manufacturers ship from overseas, but it seems to be mostly low end or very high end product. I've got a nice Natuzzi arm chair and ottoman that was made in Italy, I considered one of their sofas when I was in the market since I love my chair so much but it was way way out of my price range.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am tight on storage space for shoes and stumbled on this cabinet a ways back that kind of intrigued me as I had not really considered this type of option before: https://www.wayfair.com/storage-organization/pdp/corrigan-studio-30-pair-stackable-shoe-storage-cabinet-w005471281.html

I am not recommending this cabinet or Wayfair in general, just the concept.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Was thinking you get all four of them for $800. Nope, just one. Dayam.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If I ever decide to plan a guest space in my house it'll be a murphy bed or just a nice inflatable mattress. I've never had a comfortable night's sleep on a sleeper sofa ever in my entire life. They always suck.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Going to just comment on the BDI Corridor: I have one and the fact that it has hidden wheels on the legs has been an absolute godsend every time I've had to change a cable or hook up some new/replacement piece of AV equipment. It also makes cleaning behind and under it effortless. I also love not seeing my speakers.

They do make a stereo cabinet that matches as well but those two pieces together probably still don't take up enough of a footprint on that wall like you're looking for.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

a dingus posted:

Is Ikea's delivery just hosed regionally? I just had an eknesset chair shipped for $10 via UPS. It didn't even ship from the closest IKEA (about 25 minutes away) .

I'm in the process of installing an IKEA kitchen and have had to make several extra orders for bits here and there. Where your item comes from depends on what you're ordering. If the item is coming from the local Ikea it'll ship via their logistics company. If it's coming from the regional distribution center it might come via FedEx/UPS if your entire order is available from that hub otherwise it might first go to your local warehouse then ship out via their logistics company. At least, that seems to have been my experience over the last six months or so.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Lord Bude posted:

If you buy a sufficiently aesthetically pleasing tv (you’d be surprised what you can get these days) you could even dispense with screens altogether and have it function as a digital picture frame when not in use.

Yeah, Samsung makes one: https://www.samsung.com/us/tvs/the-frame/highlights/

A bit expensive compared to a regular TV but might be less of a hassle compared to engineering a custom solution. You can* also mount these inset in the wall a bit to get a more custom look.

*depending on your wall construction

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A little update on my plan for this.

Since I'm mounting a 77" TV, I figure a single panel is probably not feasible in the space. I started thinking about a diptych - two panels sliding apart - which would be perfect, but there's not much in the way of diptyches I can find online that I feel like are worth printing and hanging up in this way.

My new thought is to hang a triptych, but to split it unevenly into two panels. Like this (although not this specific work):

Is this very dumb?

Honestly my only concern is about how long your wall is. Assuming you want it to slide to the right or left (and not up) you will need probably 5' of clearance on that larger side.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I received a crate and barrel gift card.

Feel like I have enough furniture...

What would you rascals look at, at the ole crate and barrel?

C&B kinda sucks and when I got the statement credit back from my sofa purchase there I ended up buying an electric smoker for like $40 total out of pocket. It's a bit fiddly and definitely not worth the $250 it would have cost me at full price but everything I've made with it so far has been delicious. Depending on what your gift card amount is, that's my vote. Or get some other kind of kitchen appliance that you want but maybe don't necessarily need. Their furniture is expensive and kind of poo poo quality imho.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I live in a college town and your choices for used are basically the crap college students throw to the curb when they move out, a selection from the Habitat For Humanity ReStore, or maybe lucking into an estate sale? I kept my eyes open for that last option for quite a while and never had any luck. In general I am hesitant to the idea of acquiring used upholstered furniture of unknown provenance because I never want to discover what it is like to deal with bed bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Spikes32 posted:

Any suggestions for mid tier wood furniture shops with an online presence? Craftsman style would be a bonus.

https://www.bearsinthewoodsamishfurniture.com/

When I was local to this shop I bought a couple solid wood Craftsman style side/coffee tables from this place, that was 20 years ago and they are still in my living room. Great quality stuff. The site says they can ship their furniture but I don't actually know how far they are willing to do it. You will have to call or email to find out.