Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is there a way to have Hue smart lightbulbs loop through colors, if I’m connected via Bluetooth? (I.e. not using their Hue “bridge”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

That’s not my style, amythystbliss, but those are neat pieces that harmonize well together.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Are there any good resources which catalog different interior decoration styles?

I looked at various interior decoration subreddits and it’s mainly same-y questions about the same few aesthetics in the same few types of spaces.

I didn’t find anything specific on Wikipedia either. So I have looked at the types of housing listed here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_house_styles) then Google interior decoration for those types of houses.

Instagram also hasn’t been useful. It’s generally mansions or penthouses, and the same spaces pop up over and over in the different feeds.

:siren: Basically I’d appreciate any goon recommendations for a resource that’s like a blog which posts examples of different styles, and a big list of styles with descriptions, would be appreciated.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anne Whateley posted:

Googling "history of interior design styles" gets you a lot, but really I think you're looking for a book. I would go to your library and look there for a 101-level overview.

Luckily many libraries across this great nation have ebooks at the ready for checkout.

Thank you friend.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

falz posted:

I can't find it right now but ikea has a short and sweet video on where to put poo poo in a kitchen. I followed it when I redid mine a year ago and it's a great idea.

Basically, designate areas and put things there appropriately.

Serving area: where you store plates, silverware glasses. For me this is the island (dishes in drawers rules)

Cooking prep area: where you store pots and pans, ingredients, spices, spatulas, etc. For me this is to the right of my stove.

Pantry: cans and pasta and stuff.

I also found that having the trash bin easily accessible near the sink (not under it, too annoying) is gold. Mine slides out in a drawer and I can keep it popped out while cooking.

For your kitchen specifically, the fact that there's no counter space near your stove makes this impossible. You should really see if you can separate the stove and fridge to add counter space at the stove.

I can't tell but can you get rid of that wire rack and move the fridge there?

Yeah it’s a good strategy.

I’m also hype on “appliance garages”, to hide all the appliances when not in use.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I think I need more photos of the room up figure out your options.

With a big budget I would do a low vapor fireplace https://www.a-fireplace.com/advance-water-vapor-fireplace-inserts/ with the TV above it (but not too high)

Or maybe fireplace in the corner and TV centered on the wall

Whoa.

Anybody ITT have experience with these water vapor fireplace things?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I require more goon approved interior design YouTube channel / websites.

Feed me *c*o*n*t*e*n*t*

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Privacy fences own but they are so expensive!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What software y’all use to plan out spaces?

Love free software, excited for hot goon recommendations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Queen Victorian posted:

Graph paper, tracing paper, and architectural stencils.

Quit showing off :mad:

Anne Whateley posted:

floorplanner.com is good enough for me

Thank you friend :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have no advice but I do have accolades; that's a great effort post and I look forward to seeing how your journey goes.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I also think the floor is pretty decent except for the water damage.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I legit like some IKEA furniture more than mid tier furniture. Agnostic of price.

Then you think about price and it’s a no brainer.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

See that’s what I originally thought but a bunch of the actual material, expensive furnitures I’ve come across are kind of poo poo.

E: I realized most of those experiences are with relatively new firms, and generally for couches. Maybe different furnitures are better?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

thotsky posted:

The good stuff at IKEA are classics like the pine IVAR shelving and cabinet system, as well as design originals like the LISABO desk and side tables. Some of their higher end collabs like the YPPERLIG dining table they did with Hay are very good value.

I don't like when they make cheap particle board copies of popular hardwood designs. They can look pretty good, but they break very easily.

IKEA mattresses used to be excellent for the price, but that was 20 years ago. I have my doubts these days.

I will explore those options!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Moved into a new apartment and want a bit more storage.

Gonna buy a thing or two from ikea.

Thank you for reading.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m gonna do those things.

Every time I go to an actual antique place I am almost always disappointed. Not great aesthetics, comfort, or price.

Sometimes can be nice for decor odds and ends though.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I freaking hate open shelving - especially in kitchens!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Y'all got any recommendations for tall (4.5'+) bedroom wardrobes/armoires/similar?
  • Want tall vertical doors
  • Want ability to easily hang things (so maybe opportunity for pegboards / those sticky plastic hooks)
  • Want simpler design
  • Want in white

I was browsing IKEA but I'm sick and going through the bajillion of thangs is unpleasant at the moment.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Can’t believe it’s been 3 years since the artist completed the ultimate bathroom for females.

Also, you are all jerks for not helping me with my question :mad: I made a purchase and I’ll see if I can do something to make it lockable - myself after market.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love this thread and I hope goons continue to post in it.

I get to live vicariously through you :)

ohhyeah posted:

If you haven’t already, look up Aesthetic Movement and Arts and Craft Movement for interior design. An 1880 house* with that trim is the perfect time to get some William Morris wallpaper! I have zero experience with the starch glued fabric, but it feels like it will last 5 years rather than 20. Maybe that’s good enough?

*actual period-accurate rather than period-appropriate may technically be like sickly green lead paint or colonial scene wallpaper. I think there are some real experts in here if you wanted to get into that

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It may be different at the very high end, but the designers I work with mostly use sketchup, and mostly just for floor plans or maybe cabinet elevations. They don't model everything out because their vendors don't have models of all their products. The usually have a floor plan and then a board with photos of the furniture/rugs/lighting fixtures and fabric swatches/paint chips. I think Revit will do 3d walkthroughs but I think it is more architectural than for interior designers.

Sketch up is fun and decent for scoping spaces but I’d want something that actually had the appropriate furniture models.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m looking for examples of nuanced interpretations of the men’s lounge aesthetic. Basically a contemporary interpretation of the old school men’s lounge which had stuff like dark colors, moody ambient lighting, leather chesterfields, wood, etc.

So far everything I’ve found seems to fall into one of two categories:
  • hyper-on-point with the lounge aesthetic to the point that it looks like a movie set, OR
  • the aesthetic is so updated that it effectively just becomes MCM/loft chic but with a darker color palette.

Anybody seen cool designs that might fit what I’m looking for? Or brands / content creators I should look at? “Organic modern” is the search phrase that at least gets me in the ball park of relevance to what I’m looking for.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I received a crate and barrel gift card.

Feel like I have enough furniture...

What would you rascals look at, at the ole crate and barrel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kefit posted:

This is a useful resource for learning more about sofa construction quality from a wide range of manufacturers and price points:
https://insidersguidetofurniture.com/worst-and-best-sofa-sectional-reviews-for-2023-2/

The tl;dr is that most sofas are constructed with low quality 1.8lb density foam that will lose its shape and support within a few years.The writer of this article is a fan of these manufacturers:
https://www.dreamsofa.com/
https://medleyhome.com/

I've been on a sofa hunt myself. I'm close to pulling the trigger on getting one custom built from this specialty shop in Seattle, but their quote of nearly $6000 for an eight foot sofa and a large matching ottoman is a tough pill to swallow. I could lower that price substantially by not optioning it out with eight-way hand tied springs, or by accepting a generic non-matching ottoman from an off the shelf manufacturer, but the allure of nice things is hard to resist.

I appreciate this post. Sofa and late stage capitalism are weird.